Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
378ute
351,XD,Locker

Default Unroadworthy in W.A

Hi there,

Just got an unroadworthy sticker on my car over in perth (nsw rego-XB falcon) and the wrong rego number was put on all the forms including the sticker affixed to the window. My question is what do I do as I am led to believe that it can be a costly exercise to get it removed. Car apparently has to fitted with an immobiliser, go over the pits (couple of hours inspection) 15min drive round the block etc etc. Now I don't have an issue fixing what I was told was wrong, but I went to the local mechanic to get a quote, and the first thing on the list was that it was too low, the mechanic said it was fine. What are the legal ramifications of the incorrect sticker, given that I fix the defects. (none are dangerous or life threatening)

378ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378ute
Hi there,

Just got an unroadworthy sticker on my car over in perth (nsw rego-XB falcon) and the wrong rego number was put on all the forms including the sticker affixed to the window. My question is what do I do as I am led to believe that it can be a costly exercise to get it removed. Car apparently has to fitted with an immobiliser, go over the pits (couple of hours inspection) 15min drive round the block etc etc. Now I don't have an issue fixing what I was told was wrong, but I went to the local mechanic to get a quote, and the first thing on the list was that it was too low, the mechanic said it was fine. What are the legal ramifications of the incorrect sticker, given that I fix the defects. (none are dangerous or life threatening)
I would call the police and have them direct you to the appropriate unit.
You would have issued with a some sort record number...just let them know that the Rego number that was given is incorrect..You have covered yourself that way
Old 24-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
mrniceguy

If the wrong rego number was put on the paperwork couldnt you just ignore it??
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who stickered the car ? if it was a cop and he has listed it as being to low doesnt meen it is by pit standards , how ever if the cop said that and even if it isnt chances are he wont be the only cop that pulls you up for this
from memorey i think the number to call is 13 11 56 ask to be put throu to welshpool lic center and ask the , i think the head bloke that has the end say on all this is still reno markisie , he use to be the head off all the lic pit inspectors and have the end say on the more unusual things

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
378ute
351,XD,Locker

The thing I can't understand is the car has standard height suspension, is rust free, has a good paint job, standard interior, the most over the top item
is the 'racing stripes' and mag wheels and they both come from the factory. I mean it is a 6 cylinder/auto, the sort of car my grandparents would drive.
I wasn't pulled over for doing anything wrong otherwise I could understand.
It just that in N.S.W you don't need an immobiliser to be able to drive on the roads, and money doesn't grow on trees - if he was having a bad day I don't know why it should cost me $1000 and a days pay.
Old 24-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who told you it needs an imobiliser ?
and ive never came across an imobiliser at $1000 , from 75 to $350 yes and i think there is a gov rebate you can claim , if you just got the car and doing the transfer yep you gotta get one with a few eceptions , but if you owned it but transfering from anouther state ...... not shore

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 24-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

my understanding was that an immobiliser had to be fitted when the vehicle was transferred. i also dont know how the WA police go about enforcing that on a NSW car. as wodahs has said, they are not expensive. you can get them installed for about $100 (including teh rebate).
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Welcome to WA LOL!
My questions are.
Do you intend to license the car in WA, or are you going back to NSW?
IF you are going back, ignore the yellow sticker.
If you are going to get a WA license, then take it over the pits. The immobiliser rule came out a few years ago, where the WA govt made it compulsory for all new cars to have them, and any second hand car being sold needs to be fitted with them. So eventually all cars will have immobilisers.
The other thing is, if you don't take it over the pits, they will write you a letter to hand the plates in. If the number that they have doen't match up to your car, how the heck can they demand they be handed in? That rego doesn't belong to you.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
mustang70

the car might be old enough to not need an immobiliser, i can check for you and post back, i thought it was 25 years and not needed. if the cop says its too low-what would he know, its up to the pit guy who will measure properly,i've had pit guys laughing at stuff cops have written saying how full of crap they are (some of couse not all). the pit guys are nice guys who like cars, i've never had a hard time in perth pits and been over plently of times in a variety of cars. i thought my mustang might have been too loud and low but they didnt say a word.

removing the sticker is a pretty big offence,if they ever caught up with you.
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #10
mustang70

here it is
"Some types of vehicles, listed below, are exempt from having an immobiliser fitted.

vehicles which are more than 25 years old "

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourvehicle/1448.asp

Last edited by mustang70; 24-05-2007 at 10:42 PM.
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
378ute
351,XD,Locker

I have been sent over to work for six months, so I didn't intend to to get a W.A licence or re-register the car in W.A. I have already paid $1400 to transport the car over, so this is just an added cost. Sort of makes you wonder what would happen to the average person on a travelling or extended holiday over there. I mean I know there is more than one state in the country, but surely you can cross the borders without this sort of problem. Our vehicles have to be roadworthied every 12 months for registration and I've never been knocked back
Old 25-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Blue347
Starter Motor

My understanding on the matter of an immobiliser in WA is that they MUST be put on all cars that were made from 1975 onwards, whether it be an aftermarket immobiliser or a factory fitted one, this is stated on the transfer of registration form, so, if your car was made before 75 you do not need an immobiliser fitted to the car, hope this helps.....
Blue347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just went thru this with my brothers XB coupe brought over from NSW unreg and had to get it over the pits.

From memory the height had to be 500 from the ground to the headlight.
If you have permanent residency here and a job here you have to transfer it to WA reg within 3 months of taking up residency.

If you reckon they recorded the wrong rego on the forms you will still get a letter to you at the address given on the form to present your vehicle or hand in the plates.

But if the rego is wrongly recorded then they won't be able to track your car, however you run the risk of a $600 infringement notice for driving it contrary to the sticker even though the rego is wrong, but you still might get done for it.

In normal circumstances an out of WA car gets a sticker then you still have to take it over the pits and get it cleared so you can still drive it in WA.

Go to www.dpi.wa.gov.au it will answer most of your questions.

As for the immobiliser, I don't think you have to fit one because you are keeping your NSW reg and it is only a requirement if the vehicle is being newly reg in WA or is being sold, and you are doing neither.

Just out of curiosity, what did the officer write on the work order list, was it just ride height or were there other things?
Old 25-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #14
378ute
351,XD,Locker

Hi there jaydee,

Too low and not enough tread on the spare tyre.
Oh, and to add some humour to all this - victorian number plates
Look at the end of the day I will get it fixed, but as I said, the
mechanic I took it too said there was nothing wrong with the car
height. My real concern is that it's a witch hunt, and I have to get
things done that legally, I don't have too. (ie: immobiliser)
It may be simpler and cheaper too send the car home early, which
I have to do later anyway, and buy a cheap little locally registered
runabout.
Old 25-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

again as i saktd who said you need an imobiliser ????
even more so if your not transfering it from there to here
but as far as im concerned ( happy to be corrected on this ) you dont need to imobilise it if your the owner but transfering it from states

Old 25-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourvehicle/1380.asp

Quote:
Q: Do I have to fit an approved immobiliser to my vehicle?

A: From July 1st 1999 it is compulsory to fit a Government approved immobiliser when you apply to register or transfer a vehicle. It is the buyer's responsibility (not the seller's) to ensure that this is done, otherwise the vehicle registration or transfer will not occur. The ruling applies to family cars, corporate cars, taxis, utilities*, station wagons*, mini-buses and 4WD vehicles. Some types of vehicles, listed below, are exempt from having an immobiliser fitted.

vehicles which are more than 25 years old
vehicles which are registered as farm vehicles (under regulation 21D of the Road Traffic (Licensing) Regulations 2002)
vehicles which are transferred to used car dealers for stock intended for resale
a transfer which is subject to an order of a Court
a transfer which is as a consequence of a bequest from a deceased estate
all vehicles used for emergency purposes (as defined in the Road Traffic Code 2000)
all new vehicles which fall within the motor wagon licensing category, up to and including 31 December 1999. This exemption applies when the vehicle is first registered - transfers of used motor wagon type vehicles must comply with the immobiliser requirements.
Old 25-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
1970galaxie
Fat 460

So on that basis, the car DOES NOT need an immobliser, because it's not getting new rego, it's getting a yellow sticker off.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
So on that basis, the car DOES NOT need an immobliser, because it's not getting new rego, it's getting a yellow sticker off.
thats how i see it coz hes not appling to register or transfer a vehicle , its his vehicle and all he has to do is get a sticker off , so who and why do they recon he needs an imobiliser

even thou i can see why the state gov went down this road to help prevent ( not that it stops ) car theft

Old 25-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The actual legislation is here http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/statutes/re...0,immobiliser:

Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002
Part 15 - Additional Western Australian provisions
Division 2 - Miscellaneous

Quote:
176. Required immobilisers
(1) A motor vehicle in relation to which an application is made for the grant or transfer of the licence for the vehicle must be fitted with one of the following immobilisers:
(a) an immobiliser fitted to a vehicle by the manufacturer of the vehicle or a person authorised by the manufacturer, at the time the vehicle is being manufactured;
(b) an immobiliser that complies with Part III (**Approval of immobilisers and approval of a vehicle with regard to its immobiliser~) of ECE 97 **Vehicle Alarm Systems~ published by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe;
(c) an immobiliser fitted to a vehicle as an integral part of an alarm system complying with AS/NZS 3749.1:1997 **Intruder alarm systems: Road vehicles~, jointly published by Standards Australia and Standards New Zealand;
(d) an immobiliser that complies with AS/NZS 4601:1999 **Vehicle immobilisers~, jointly published by Standards Australia and Standards New Zealand;
(e) an immobiliser:

(i) fitted to a vehicle before 1 July 1999; and

(ii) that is self-arming and immobilises the engine either by interrupting the fuel, ignition, starter or engine management system;
(f) an immobiliser :
(i) fitted to a vehicle before 1 January 2001; and

(ii) that complies with **Specifications for Vehicle Immobiliser~ published by the Department of Transport on 4 August 2000 and available from its Vehicle Safety Branch at 21 Murray Road South, Welshpool WA 6106;
(g) a device known as the **GT2000 Gearlock Auto-armed Pinlock~, manufactured by **Grip-Tech (Pty) Ltd~, that is fitted to a vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

(2) If a vehicle is required under subrule (1) to be fitted with a prescribed immobiliser at the time an application is made, that requirement continues in force from that time.

(3) Except as stated in subrule (4), this regulation applies to a car, an omnibus or a goods vehicle.

(4) This rule does not apply to a motor vehicle:
(a) with an unloaded mass of 3 t or more;
(b) with a GVM of more than 4.5 t;
(c) built 25 years or more before the time the application for the grant or transfer of the licence for the vehicle is made;
(d) in relation to which an application has been made:

(i) for the grant or transfer of a licence referred to in section 76C(6) or (6a) of the Stamp Act 1921; or

(ii) for the transfer of a licence under a judgment or order of a court;

or
(e) to which regulation 21D of the Road Traffic (Licensing) Regulations 1975 applies.
Old 26-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
From memory the height had to be 500 from the ground to the headlight.
That sounds familiar. I once owned an HX 308 many moons ago and the place I got the pink slip was audited (and therefore my car audited) and wondered why he was measuring the distance from the middle of the headlight to the ground. I then asked if it would pass if I put the headlights on the bonnet. No sense of humour. :( 22 defects. :P

Ultimately I was ****ed though. I bought the car from a yard who got the pinkslip from this mob and had it for about 3 months before the D's knocked on my door!

Immobiliser is a new one on me though. I always used to get a sly cable installed that would earth the coil with a switch which stopped the same car being stolen one night after they jimied the door open, pushed it up a steep driveway and down the street in an attempt to start it. Would that be considered an immobiliser? $25 at any auto-lecky.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #21
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't understand why you got this. The car isn't too low, it doesn't need an immobiliser and you are only there for 6 months.
The only thing I can figure is that you *should* have transferred the rego. At that time they might have got you for .. um .. um .. a bald spare tyre?
I can't even see why you would be required to transfer it. I know the requirement is 3 months but you intend to go back.
I'd be peeved and be looking for some sort of compensation for the time you have wasted.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #22
378ute
351,XD,Locker

I'm taking the morning off from work tomorrow and am taking the car over the pits. Apparently there is a queue of people doing the same thing. I'll wait and see what else they pick up on - seeing as the car had a roadworthy less
than 4 months ago, 'bald???' spare tyre and all. As I have said already, I will fix what is needed, but if it's a witch hunt - I'll probably ship the car back home, and buy a locally registered car - this may sort out the problem
Old 27-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #23
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

Welcome to Wa and its ways .I have been though this many times .Nothing wrong just a waste of my time and money .Depending on which pits you go to and who you get this may just get more fustrating for you .Welshpool seems to be a good one and east Perth depending on who you get .

If your car is fine take it over you should be fine the pits aren't as scary as they seem just a little fustrating .
Tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #24
378ute
351,XD,Locker

I put my car over the pits today and I've just picked my car up from the mechanic, and whilst there is list of things to do - he considers them all minor. There is a slight noise from the steering box, which if this has to be rebuilt will be approx. $200 (I can live with that) I have to put in new headlight bulbs, a handbrake globe, check the steering, steam clean the engine bay, the ride height was fine and a fit new spare tyre. Got a quote for a maximum of $350 (Including the steering if needed). So all that being said, I will get my car fixed and enjoy the weather over here in W.A - and hope the next time (hopefully not) I get pulled over I will have a piece of paper in the glove box that states all is O.K
Thank guys for your input in help.
Old 28-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #25
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 378ute
I put my car over the pits today and I've just picked my car up from the mechanic, and whilst there is list of things to do - he considers them all minor. There is a slight noise from the steering box, which if this has to be rebuilt will be approx. $200 (I can live with that) I have to put in new headlight bulbs, a handbrake globe, check the steering, steam clean the engine bay, the ride height was fine and a fit new spare tyre. Got a quote for a maximum of $350 (Including the steering if needed). So all that being said, I will get my car fixed and enjoy the weather over here in W.A - and hope the next time (hopefully not) I get pulled over I will have a piece of paper in the glove box that states all is O.K
Thank guys for your input in help.
this is way cool. It did sound like a bit of a witch hunt. All of those things are rather minor except maybe the steering box and you won't find many without a noise of some sort.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post