Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What is wrong with Ford OZ?

Hi Guys, Just wondering what YOU think is wrong with Ford OZ? We all love to have a rant and say do this, do that, but who out there thinks not only do they know what is wrong but also how to make it right. Lets try to keep things realistic, i.e " I think they should build V10 GTHO's " We know this will never happen. A more realistic idea.......... Maybe teach the Australian public about how the Falcon is locally designed and built for Australian conditions and is keeping Australian's in jobs? Has worked wonders for Holden. Another idea is to offer drive away deals on Falcon/Territory so that people who thought these cars were out of their price range are all of a sudden in with a chance? REMEMBER, no-one is right or wrong, it is merely what we think. So here we go, be nice now............... :

Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

They dont employ me.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Ando_Leigh

Ford should have sacked who ever did those dam dealers adds or ban them from being on tv.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Fords advertising is terrible. Besides the turbo territory ad and the kid with the slot car track the rest are awful.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando_Leigh
Ford should have sacked who ever did those dam dealers adds or ban them from being on tv.
spot on
i agree with that
also ford custimor servive and warranty ticks alot of people off.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

the problem with ford, is dealer attitudes in my opinion.
on rant-- i went to KNOX FORD, one day to get a part for my eb. an eb gt gear boot. the bloke at the spare parts counter said plainly, "nup, dont even bother coming to us"
i left in disgust, and went to etheridge ford in ringwood, where i was greeted with a smile, and he found the part straight away for me.

all in all i think it is the general attitude of some employees, and word filters through to friends and family.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Richmalbill

- Product planning... Farting about spending vast amount engineering pointless vehicles like the Territory Turbo when Blind Freddy could see the market is crying out for a Diesel in this category of vehicle.

- Dealers...Totally out of touch. My old man owns a Merc and when he has his serviced he gets a free loan car or at very least free pick-up and delivery. The car is washed and he gets follow-up courtesy calls. All this for a service cost actually less than my Focus. Ford service are rude and arrogant in my experience who rip off both FOMOCO and the customer.

- Marketing...Why the hell are Ford spending so much on pushing the Ranger? The market for this vehicle is limited so return on investment is never going to be great. Spend the money on the cash cow...The Falcon and Territory or better still spend the cash on putting a Diesel in the Territory and let it sell itself!

- Tom Gorman....I can't believe he is already talking down the Orion! With phrases like "It may be the wrong car at the wrong time" in a recent press release.

- Export...Why no export?
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
andrewts
White Car Driver

I tend to hear the same. Fords are a top car, but the dealers are just merchants of evil.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmalbill
Spend the money on the cash cow...The Falcon and Territory or better still spend the cash on putting a Diesel in the Territory and let it sell itself!

- Export...Why no export?
Its a well known secret that there are diesel Territorys being tested as we speak. Maybe at Melbourne Motor Show they lift the bonnet on a diesel Territory? As for exports, Orion will definitely be exported but that is still 12 months away.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to me that the dealers are the subject of much angst. When did this start? Or has it always been a problem. I have never bought a brand new car so am unaware.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

I'll share my opinion. Increase their vehicle diversity. ie Diesel Focus, Three door versions of all Focus models, Mondeo (sedan and wagon) in petrol and diesel, Focus Cabrio, XR wagon, Fairmont wagon. Plus they shouldn't wait so long when they do bring some of them out like the Fiesta ST. In Europ the Fiesta is going to be updated soon and we are still waiting for the sports model? These cars are good and have a proven reputation over a long history with lots of development and are already made rhd for the UK market.

Mustang anyone? (At a realistic price, we know what they cost in the US)

Stop making dumb adds that are insulting and degrading ie Chick Magnet???, Dealer adds - people aren't looking at buying a car salesperson! Make adds that inform the general none car mad public about the things that Ford Oz has achieved and does ie technology DOHC Dual VCT 24v etc Australian designed and made using Australian products and employees. The new Ranger add is a good example of what not to do. It is almost identical to the add that Hyundai ran a bit back for its 4wd thing. It inform nothing and calls it legendary??? The Ranger is the replacement of the Courier but you don't know that from the add. To most people it is a new name, how can it be legendary?

Now before people start saying things like: The cost are to high, there isn't enough volume etc. How can H*lden do it? They have Astra (Hatch, Sedan, Cabrio, Sport, Turbo, HSV and diesel) Tigra, Barina (Sedan and Hatch) Vectra, Captiva, C'dore in all sorts of variants in both wagon and sedan plus Crewman. Plus now they have even more models with the Korean cr*p things that are walking out the door. It they had Ford bedges on them people would call them for what they are. But they can pull it of, why? Image! That is right they also export etc

Well gues what if you don't inform or advertise in a way that people take you seriously they won't consider you. Plus you can't sell what you don't have ie above mentioned models.

Well that is my 2c. I am a very pasionate Ford Fan and that is why I am so vocal about stating the above.

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
nitroman
nitroman

Ford are totally out of touch with the market. Why can't you get a small ford station wagon? Where are the diesel's you can get in europe? How about a turbo diesel falcon with class leading economy and torque. Why don't Ford oz export? How come the Ford advertising is so lame, not promoting the aussie designed and built thing. Toyota promotes their camry v6 thing with 190kw. The falcon 6 exceeds the toyota's max torque by 1500 rpm! Why doesen't ford advertise this?
Ford Australia needs another boss like Bill Bourke in the early 70's. :
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Ford are not proactive enough.

Holden spit out crap like, "Holden means a lot to Australia", but the Falcon consists of more Australian made parts than the Holden. The Falcon has also been supporting Australian automotive industry on a good scale for 35 years.

Ford should actually make people realise.

A lot of people say to me, "Yeah, but Holden's THE Australian car."
You should see the look on their face when I tell them that Falcons have designed in Australia since 1972. This is vast contrast to the Commodore, which had not been designed in Australia until 2006. Important to Australia my eye!

Falcon needs to actually response soon, or get out of the automotive business and sell air-conditioning!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring back the panel van
fpv style too.
more models and this deisel option sounds like a good plan
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

before we go examining the business policies of ford, remember that Ford operates mainly as a vehicle manufacturer. And the way the system is setup, dealers are the ones in control of their customer service, service departments etc etc.

Point being, when the dealer treats you like crap, it's not neccesarily Ford as a company's fault.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #16
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the issues at ford come down to lack of adverstiments and crap dealers. Not all are bad but most of them are.

Also lack of Diesel and good LPG products such as LPG injection are hurting.

Also public perceptions Oh a commodore or falcon = **** sucker. Thanks to the media.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #17
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

hmm, I'd tell you what I think but I might get in trouble....I gotta be careful and tactful...wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings with the truth
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #18
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
before we go examining the business policies of ford, remember that Ford operates mainly as a vehicle manufacturer. And the way the system is setup, dealers are the ones in control of their customer service, service departments etc etc.

Point being, when the dealer treats you like crap, it's not neccesarily Ford as a company's fault.
Unfortunately, the dealer is the public face of Ford. hence, you have a bad experience with a dealer, and you have a bad experience with Ford. I know that the dealers operate independently of Ford, but it is about time Ford put their foot down and sorted the dealer network out. Simple, provide decent service, or get yourself a Daewoo franchise. Mazda keep their dealers on a short leash, so should Ford. If the current dealers dont want to play ball, find a dealer that will. Sales are going backwards and Ford seem to be the only people who dont see that.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #19
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSgerry
Unfortunately, the dealer is the public face of Ford. hence, you have a bad experience with a dealer, and you have a bad experience with Ford. I know that the dealers operate independently of Ford, but it is about time Ford put their foot down and sorted the dealer network out. Simple, provide decent service, or get yourself a Daewoo franchise. Mazda keep their dealers on a short leash, so should Ford. If the current dealers dont want to play ball, find a dealer that will. Sales are going backwards and Ford seem to be the only people who dont see that.
Yep, that's it. You cant tell me they don't know! It the people representing your product do a bad job and you don't do anything about it than it is your fault FORD!!!

I must say that I have had little to complain about in this regard

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #20
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
Its a well known secret that there are diesel Territorys being tested as we speak. Maybe at Melbourne Motor Show they lift the bonnet on a diesel Territory? As for exports, Orion will definitely be exported but that is still 12 months away.
Not my point. My point is why nearly four years into Territory production is there no Diesel? Yet there is a ridiculous turbo Territory that answers questions that nobody was asking. Territory's problem was never power (it isn't a sports car) it was fuel economy. Nobody is buying the Turbo Territory!
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #21
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Quote:
Not my point. My point is why nearly four years into Territory production is there no Diesel? Yet there is a ridiculous turbo Territory that answers questions that nobody was asking. Territory's problem was never power (it isn't a sports car) it was fuel economy. Nobody is buying the Turbo Territory!
Again spot on. Nice car, I won't consider it. Got a V8 to fill and can't afford to fill 2. Terri uses as much. Plus if I wanted a Turbo I would get/kept the XR. If it was available in diesel we would prob get it for the missus.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #22
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
What part of it cost almost nothing to do turbo yet a diesel costs alot dont people understand?
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #23
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are contempt with staying second best and not competing with Toyota probable because they cant, well not unless they lift the sale of Transit vans to match Hiace, have a car to take on Landcruiser, Torago, 4cyl Camry, Yaris and one that will match Corrolla's sales not an easy task, and they have to watch their back from Holden, Mazda etc..

My Best advice is to keep pushing the Focus and improving it and bring some image builders from FPV in {XR5 is already selling good**, Bring the Mondeo in {including Diesel**, Bring a Diesel Territory, Start pushing the Escape as a mini Territory {whats happened here?? X Trails, Ravs and Mazda Tributes are still selling like hotcakes as is Forester**, We already know about Falcon and what needs to be done, Ford Ranger is atlast our best chance of matching Rodeo or atleast having a genuine competitor. Keep pushing Fiesta, its good enough.

Atleast if you dont beat Toyota they should enevour to be a solid second each month and Im sure with most of the above they would be.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #24
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

USELESS THREAD. Lets all have a whine about ford on a Ford forums. Why do people complain and complain about ford on a site that is based on ford?. If I wanted to criticise ford I would do it on another forum. I bet holden people don't bag their cars half as much.

It is pointless putting ford down on here because what good does it do? Alot of people have great ideas on how ford should be ran but it is doing nothing on a forum. Why not take your well thought out ideas to ford and change things around?. All this does is detour people from buying fords
Old 02-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #25
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
USELESS THREAD. All this does is detour people from buying fords
No, I don't see it that way Ford_Boy , I think a Collective discussion on the problems we Ford Fans have it is constructive , not destructive . Two (or many) heads are better than one . It may filter back to the relevant people at Ford , I hope .

I think RSgerry is on track , dealers should have to answer to Ford more . Ford have to get back to basics if they want to sell more of their product . Basics of business is to have "Happy Customers" , if you try hard to run a successful business and your staff are ignorant/unhelpful/arrogant , it will bring your business down . If Dealers have to "Toe The Line" more to Ford (and they must lift their game too) it should show in Sales Figures .

Also I have seen posts on GMH sites where members have had the same thoughts as seen here . Bad service is not just restricted to Ford , I know a number of people , even a good mate , have had similar problems with their local GMH Dealers .

I think both the major car manufacturers need to have a BIG shake up , they're not selling Peanuts or chocolates , cars are the second biggest purchase you ever make .

Just my 2.2c worth (GST Inc)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 01:44 AM   #26
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a word, marketing. How did the VZ continue to outsell the better car right up to the run out deals? The BA was a better car than the VY, and the BF especially with the 6-speed auto ****ed all over the VZ. Even today, I would think long and hard if I had to choose between a BF and VE 6 because the Falcon drivetrain is far better.

Ford's marketing for the Falcon is very weak, and their advertising is generally poor. WHAT were they on when they made the Ranger ad?
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #27
Decadentia

Quote:
Problem with this thesis is that everything that was needed to make the turbo territory was already there to be used. The engines had passed crash tests and Australian Standards, The car already uses the 4lt 'Barra' engine,the driveline and the fuel system was there etc.

It would have been a more expensive exercise to make the vehicle comply with the nessecary standards should they have turned to diesel, which would have required money they just may not have had. As someone has already said - Deisel Teritory is underway.

My personal opinion is, that the constraints placed on them by head office dictate to a fair degree the end product we recieve. Ford AU rely on powerplants from the us - obviously they have scope to manipulate what they recieve, but only to a degree (emissions requirements).

The inline 6 engine in MY opinion is a fantastic bit of kit, and should be of loyal service for the next 10 years with minimal changes - moreso refinements. Turbo engine speaks for itself.

It'd be nice to think that Ford AU had the facilities to build a pealer of a V8 engine, with forged internals that'd turn to 7000rpm, and made 350kw but the reality is there isn't enough demand here in australia to justify it. We're just going to hope designers/engineers do the best they can with what head office USA dishes up.

What concerns me is that, from what i've noticed - Ford are trying to keep their cars cheaper than the hoden offerings......... Why not offer a car that's $1000 dearer, but is actually of better quality than the oppositions offerings ? Invest a little more on interior materials, Design a couple of individual quirks that aren't just gimmics.

People will have their differing opinions on which product is best in their eyes,Or that they would purchace X over Z for reasons A B and C, But if you impress the loyal buyers with VALUE FOR MONEY, and a QUALITY product - Ford may just find that people won't just differ the 2 products by power figures on a piece of paper.
Decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #28
INDEEP
CHEV owner

I think their product marketing is terrible... For far too long it's been quite obvious that Ford doesn't give a damn about the younger market. Just look at their television advertisements compared to Holden. SS Ute versus XR8 Magnet for starters?

Ford attempt the kind of humour in their ads that only appeals to middle-aged people who live relatively fruitless lives, with no children at home, and only a mortgage to worry about.

Holden promote their performance range as EXACTLY what it is... BALLSY!

The Ford Motor Company needs to realise that there are consumers out there with the hip-pocket capacity to buy into their FPV range. Unfortunately though them, those who have the coin, choose the SS or a vehicle from the much LARGER HSV range instead.

And let's not start on the Ford service ads...

I know if I could stomach owning a new car (choose not to become part of the depreciation club), I'd step into a SS Commodore well before I even looked at a XR Falcon.

At 26, I just don't look right sitting in a V8 Falcon... If I were 30 years older with a John Bowe-esque beard, it'd be a whole different story...
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #29
elgt146
315-TUF

Marketing Marketing Marketing or be it lack of........

The cars are not marketed to the right people in the right areas.

The dealer adds are aimed at grandpa.

They need to put more balls into their adds and generate some excitement. Such as the the ACDC Thunder Add Holden did. Game Over Adds for Monaro etc.

Instead we got Craig Lowndes driving around a speed bowl in a work ute with Marcos Ambrose. Perfect example of wrong people marketing wrong product.
Wouldn't you expect to see a typical Australian worker of some sort advertising the work ute.

They have Craig Lowndes at their disposal plus other Ford Drivers.

They should use them. Imagine Dick Johnson doing an add recalling the early years, the excitement, the power and then flashing to present day getting into his new era FPV GT or F6.

We know how well Dick did the Shell Commercials with Bazza Sheene. He has a natural humor and people can relate to him for Ford.

Whatever happenned to the XY GT at Bathurst morphing into an FPV GT down conrod straight commercial? It didn't seem to run for long?

Unfortunately for Ford the problem will only get worst.

For 10 years now HSV have dominated the market and a whole generation of children have been marketed by Holden. These children are now old enough to buy their first cars and will be buying commodores and pretend HSV's to be part of the red army. Holden generated excitement in these people, dominated the motor track and the roads, the KW war and now Ford will pay the price.

Basically Ford need to understand the people and their buyers better.....
elgt146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #30
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
the problem with ford, is dealer attitudes in my opinion.
on rant-- i went to KNOX FORD, one day to get a part for my eb. an eb gt gear boot. the bloke at the spare parts counter said plainly, "nup, dont even bother coming to us"
i left in disgust, and went to etheridge ford in ringwood, where i was greeted with a smile, and he found the part straight away for me.

all in all i think it is the general attitude of some employees, and word filters through to friends and family.
Same thing happened to me at Bendigo Ford, well its called Brian Dunn Ford. Went in looking for parts just to be told by a guy behind the counter with an arrogant look on his face that they dont stock older parts. I've never been back although people on here tell me that I can get parts from them!