Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Default Problems at Idle

Hi guys, got a minor niggle with the AU which I hope someone might have some suggestions about.

When the car is at operating temperature in drive/reverse (auto) idle speed is about 650rpm. Idle is smooth but when I turn on the AC or turn the wheel (when it's not rolling) the revs drop. This is normal and the ISC will compensate to raise the revs, but it's slow to react and the revs drop down to about 400rpm and naturally the car starts to shake. Within about 2-3 seconds the ISC compensates and the revs come back up. It's quite annoying and I don't thing it should take that long for the revs to compensate.

Here's the stats;

-Car has done 95,000 clicks
-Has new Air filter, fuel filter.
-Just cleaned the throttle body (which was dirty)

I've pulled the ISC off and there is a light carbon residue inside but nothing major.

Do you think the ISC is sticking? Any suggestions?

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

reset the ecu

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Hmmmm did that not long ago when the battery was replaced. Did the whole procedure with Park/drive AC/No AC.

But then again this was before the throttle body clean. Ok i'll give that a try.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Old 17-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or you might have a vacum leak some where, good luck finding it

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 17-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

yeah that's what I was worried about......there is a light hissing sound in the engine bay when the motor is running but it could be air intake. Me thinks a better start looking for leaks!

Old 17-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check the air intake, bbm gasket,

use some water and spray it around with it running to see where it is leaking or sucking it in

Old 18-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

do the ISC clean with carby cleaner anyway

there's no idle up solenoid for the A/C on an AU, is there? It's all controlled by EEC-V, right?
Old 18-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

You can turn the base idle up on the throttle body if your keen, wouldnt reccomend it for a long term fix though.
Old 18-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

had the same thing happen with mine mate...

would turn the steering and it would almost die..
would put AC on an it would almost die..

It was a vacuum leak and a pain in the butt one at that..
Manifold Gasket...

Check to see all the manifold bolt are tight (where manifold meets head)

You may have a number of little splits in the gasket like mine did..

cheers
kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Kristo did your mirrors shake at idle?? mine does it randomly. I recall seeing a residue around the head/manifold gasket, but the rocker cover is definitely not leaking, so it could be some loose bolts or failed gasket.

Old 19-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

yeah my mirrors did shake...lol
yeah it could be....

check to see if the bolts are all tight first..

then, while the car is running spray some WD40 over the gasket..
If the idle changes or you see it seeping in through the gasket, then you have small splits in the gasket and it needs to be changed...

I did this and found the problem..

cheers
kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

After reading your post last night at 10pm I popped down to the garage and the first three bolts I checked turned about 15 degrees! When I next get a chance i'll go over them all & if that doesn't work then i'll go for the WD40. Cheers, thanks for your help so far!

Old 19-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

no worries mate...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Ok, got home tonight and decided to try some of the advice. I checked ever manifold bolt, all manifold to head bolts needed tightening (minor). Then I pulled the ISC off and cleaned it.

I think the ISC was sticking. I tried to move the valve with a screwdriver but it didn't move freely, so i cleaned it out a little and it moves much more freely and returns quickly. At operating temperature the rev drop when I engage the AC is about 50rpm now compared to the 200rpm drop previously. And there is no drop when I turn the wheel at a stand still.

This weekend i'll clean ISC further as there appears to be still be more carbon built up on the shaft as it enters the solenoid that needs to be cleaned off. Then i'll do an ECU reset. Looks like this was the culprit.

Thanks the advice of all, i'll let you know the weekends outcome.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Old 19-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

glad to hear its not the manifold gasket mate...

they're a pain in the butt...

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]