Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Throwing things at vehicles needs bigger deterant!

what is it with some kids?

throwing eggs at cars..

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225857900215

throwing a bollard!! at a truck..

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225857621403

luckily there were no casualties but the consequences could so easily have been different, esp with the bollard.

i must admit, i have to travel under a few underpasses/bridges in my travels and i do find myself looking these days to make sure nothing comes through my windscreen. occasionally you see kids up there and you just hope its not your turn.

given the age of most of the culprits, i'm guessing most get off with little more than a reprimand, and it probably becomes some sort of status thing in the playground/schoolyard.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
what is it with some kids?

throwing eggs at cars..

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225857900215

throwing a bollard!! at a truck..

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225857621403

luckily there were no casualties but the consequences could so easily have been different, esp with the bollard.

i must admit, i have to travel under a few underpasses/bridges in my travels and i do find myself looking these days to make sure nothing comes through my windscreen. occasionally you see kids up there and you just hope its not your turn.

given the age of most of the culprits, i'm guessing most get off with little more than a reprimand, and it probably becomes some sort of status thing in the playground/schoolyard.
I always look up as i pass under an overpass just hoping 'its not my turn'. But it seems its a case of the punishment never fits the crime
Old 25-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately it boils down to lack of education and guideance from their parents. One has to wonder why there is kids as young as 10yrs of age wandering the street at night. (and yes i have seen younger).

Most of the time they seem to think its "funny" that they cause an accident.

I can recall a story about kids playing chicken with cars outside their school, with several near misses reported. They thought it was "fun" also.

If that is their attitude now, can you imagine what their attitude will be like when they are 17 or 18??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Unfortunately it boils down to lack of education and guideance from their parents. One has to wonder why there is kids as young as 10yrs of age wandering the street at night. (and yes i have seen younger).

Most of the time they seem to think its "funny" that they cause an accident.

I can recall a story about kids playing chicken with cars outside their school, with several near misses reported. They thought it was "fun" also.

If that is their attitude now, can you imagine what their attitude will be like when they are 17 or 18??
And probably get worse with ages if it isnt knocked on the head now (Attitude, not kid )
Old 25-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THere was that serial rock thrower in Adelaide a while back, nearly killed some poor bloke.
When they caught the scum bag, he happened to be a few spanner's short up top.
Even more reason to be well and truly locked away for a very long time......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly this sort of crap has been goin on since the 1st overpass was built.
I recall when I was a kid them calling a special school assembly addressing this exact issue.
I cringe everytime I go under an overpass in fear some tool will throw something over the edge.
Or worse still one of my drivers a few yrs ago was driving a little Izuzu fridge truck and had
some fool throw himself off the over pass come through windscreen and land in his lap.
All overpass bridges should be caged!! Only way to keep the motorist safe.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive that road every day, it's scary the hear that has happened. I'll have to keep my eye out there from now on! It was one of the safety bollards that are all around that area due to the massive road works going on for the Northern expressway.
These are probably the same kids that think it's funny to throw rocks at the trains. It's a regular occurrence catching the train out to Gawler. Thankfully the windows are perspex so they don't shatter. :
Old 25-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TE50#134
All overpass bridges should be caged!! Only way to keep the motorist safe.
If it's the one I think it is, then it's an actual road, single lane each way, which is closed due to the construction going on there. There are now three overpasses there, two of the fly over roads are closed and the third is still open. I'd put money on this occurring from one of the overpasses that is closed.
Old 25-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many year's ago had some POS's chuck a rock at my hi lux, spot light's on and in pursuit, up gutter's and through a fence........
Little ********'s were lucky it was a sluggy old diesel......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
prydey
Rob

i shudder to think what a bollard may have done to a car.
Old 25-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they need to cage these overpasses, its the only way i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
MAV50L
Banned

Society has gone down hill in a big way since it became illegal to smack your kids.
People are not learning that there are consequences to everything you do and every decision you make.
Makes you wonder what is better for a person. To cop a smack and a grounding at an early age and learn some respect and understanding that you be a tool you get punished , or to let them go through life doing what they want , when they want until the day comes that they kill someone.
The bleeding hearts and rose coloured glasses brigade has a lot to answer for.
Unfortunately we have more then one of those members here................
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Sydney police failed to jump on a band of kids around 15-20 years ago who turned into absolute louts,
they now have become adults and role models for all the kids coming behind them. This same scenario has played out in the other capitol and regional cities too, so now we have not only an ignorant arrogant youth population but a bunch of miscreant adults acting as mentors and supporters....

Very sad the way Australia is becoming just like everywhere else...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
Society has gone down hill in a big way since it became illegal to smack your kids.
People are not learning that there are consequences to everything you do and every decision you make.
Makes you wonder what is better for a person. To cop a smack and a grounding at an early age and learn some respect and understanding that you be a tool you get punished , or to let them go through life doing what they want , when they want until the day comes that they kill someone.
The bleeding hearts and rose coloured glasses brigade has a lot to answer for.
Unfortunately we have more then one of those members here................

That is a popular misconception.... There is no law about smacking kids.
Abusing a child (beating them) and smacking are two different things.

Its boils down to lazy parents who dont care and use any excuse under the sun for their lack of parenting.

I cringe every time I hear this myth about "its illegal"....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

?

Mate, it's not the result of guidence from parents. It's as a result of the bloody wowsers saying you can't disapline (spelling) kids the way we used to be.

The schools are drumming into the kids heads, that if your parent/s give you a backhander, or wrap a jug cord round your ***, you report your parent/s to child services (or what ever they're called) and your parent/s are the ones in the ********.

I have kids going to school ATM and the teachers drill them if they see a bruise on them. It's checking to see whether one of the parents has given him or her a biffin to pull them back into line.

That's the reason there is so many ferals running rampant in society now. Most parents are too ******** scared they're the ones going to be hauled in front of the courts and locked up for showing guidance, in the same fashion they were.

And yes, I am talking from experience. While I wasn't locked up, I did get hauled over the coals by child services for using my boot up one of my kids ***. I caught him/her throwing a rock at a house. Just as my foot went up their ***, Officer plod came down the street and busted me.

So don't blame the parent/s for the feral kids. Blame wowsers for not allowing parent/s to disapline them properly

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres alot of uneducated ill advised people who get a kick out of throwing things at cars, to the detriment of the rest of us. Its just done for a cheap thrill, as the person lacks meaning in their life.

Take for example, the politicians who throw bucket loads of cash at Holdens.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
prydey
Rob

one of the problems i see is that if the young ones are given some form of punishment, like dragging them through a trauma ward or making them do comunity service, you get some other wowser group argueing that it is causing long term mental/phsychological damage to the poor little child, etc etc resulting in very little discipline at all.

to broaden the topic somewhat, its not just overpasses. vandalism in general is worsening. my brother had a brick thrown through the windscreed of his stagea friday night. not sure if car was parked on the street or in a drive. i'm glad i have double lock up. too many stories of this behaviour on the forums and news.

maybe if the boys in blue stopped focussing on the maniacs doing 63 in a 60, they might notice someone carrying a bollard onto a bridge!

edit - please don't turn this into a 'which parental method is best' debate. thats a slippery slope that will end in a locked thread.
Old 25-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Theres alot of uneducated ill advised people who get a kick out of throwing things at cars, to the detriment of the rest of us. Its just done for a cheap thrill, as the person lacks meaning in their life.

Take for example, the politicians who throw bucket loads of cash at Holdens.

Intelligent response there mate.

What you're saying here is, leave the company fold, throw plenty of people out of work (including suppliers to this company), give no hope for any kid to score a job in the industry, therefore having more feral kids running rampant on the streets causing even more havic.

I'd really suggest you think before commenting like this next time :

PRYDEY. I'm with you over the form of punishment. Make these little ferals clean up the mess they caused to begin with. Then they can tell their mates what it's like having to deal with the carnage they created, instead of our emergency service people

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Intelligent response there mate.

What you're saying here is, leave the company fold, throw plenty of people out of work (including suppliers to this company), give no hope for any kid to score a job in the industry, therefore having more feral kids running rampant on the streets causing even more havic.

:
Thanks SVO, I assume when you said intelligent response, you meant that as a compliment. But then I thought that if a Kid was causing havic, he could go back to school, get a better education, and when he did a spelling test at a job selection, he could write havoc.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
XAGSV8
Member 178

Egg's are one thing but a bollard to me is attempted murder. I use them everyday and they are heavy and very solid so young children would have trouble lifting them over the overpass. Just my opinion.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
tick6vct
AU-XR-S3-VCT

i think boredom in conjunction with a lack of positive things to do (or a lack of positive motivation and disipline) is a reason behind a lot of vandalism by the younger ones. like the ones who keyed my old mans g8 or attempted to blow up my letter box a few months back....
Old 25-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

Dont worry its not just overpass either few years back my missus was coming home from work and there was an area of land that was undeveloped around the corner from us. Some kid(s) threw a rock from over the hill that hit her car right in the windscreen water drain about 2cm before the window. As it was plastic it shattered the whole thing. Bloody lucky my missus wasnt going say a 1km faster or the kid threw the rock a second later as it would of hit the windscreen.
Though as soon as she got home, she was pretty unset and shaken. I got straight into my car and headed up there, going to teach them a lesson or at least make them pay for the damage but they were already gone.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate, it's not the result of guidence from parents. It's as a result of the bloody wowsers saying you can't disapline (spelling) kids the way we used to be.

The schools are drumming into the kids heads, that if your parent/s give you a backhander, or wrap a jug cord round your ***, you report your parent/s to child services (or what ever they're called) and your parent/s are the ones in the ********.

I have kids going to school ATM and the teachers drill them if they see a bruise on them. It's checking to see whether one of the parents has given him or her a biffin to pull them back into line.

That's the reason there is so many ferals running rampant in society now. Most parents are too ******** scared they're the ones going to be hauled in front of the courts and locked up for showing guidance, in the same fashion they were.

And yes, I am talking from experience. While I wasn't locked up, I did get hauled over the coals by child services for using my boot up one of my kids ***. I caught him/her throwing a rock at a house. Just as my foot went up their ***, Officer plod came down the street and busted me.

So don't blame the parent/s for the feral kids. Blame wowsers for not allowing parent/s to disapline them properly

you are spot on , a while ago someone was talking about this , the mention of straps wooden spoon rulers , etc etc for discipline came up, someone piped up and said no way would i use a weapon against my child ..........i nearly fell off my chair laughing, i grew up in that era, it never hurt me and taught me you do the wrong thing you get your *** kicked, and look where we are now......90 year old man in wheel chair beaten and robbed....daily occurence, gang violence sadly i now think of Australia .....as little America.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A fecking massive kick up the **** is a good start, rather than motherly judges who determine that the turds really didn't mean any harm...

I am sorry...but people know that you don't do things like that...whatever they get they deserve. In the case of those kids, they are often too young for prison, so I would like to see many, many hours of community service.

The kids that are bored need a hobby. Sport, music, reaing, art, cars, bikes...whatever! There are HEAPS of things out there to keep kids occupied...there is no excuse as 'nothing to do'.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
you are spot on , a while ago someone was talking about this , the mention of straps wooden spoon rulers , etc etc for discipline came up, someone piped up and said no way would i use a weapon against my child ..........i nearly fell off my chair laughing, i grew up in that era, it never hurt me and taught me you do the wrong thing you get your *** kicked, and look where we are now......90 year old man in wheel chair beaten and robbed....daily occurence, gang violence sadly i now think of Australia .....as little America.
Top post 100% agree
Old 25-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #26
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:

I remember when it was officer plod that gave you the clip around the ear hole before bringing you home to dad for another hiding.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #27
Bobman
Regulator

A doctor died in the 1990s whilst travelling on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne after kids threw a rock that pierced his windscreen and hit him in the head.

Taxis get eggs thrown at them every week as well. These kids don't deserve to be in our society.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
A doctor died in the 1990s whilst travelling on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne after kids threw a rock that pierced his windscreen and hit him in the head.

Taxis get eggs thrown at them every week as well. These kids don't deserve to be in our society.
Well said, but with behaviour like that, makes you think do they even deserve oxygen
Old 25-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #29
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Wasnt there a young woman a few years back ended up with severe head and brain injuries from this sort of act, I believe she has made a fantastic recovery and recently got married. As others have said I often try to scan the brigdes as I come to them in the chance if there is a mongrel about to do something action can be taken to avoid an accident, even though it would be hard to avoid at freeeway speeds
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #30
Bobman
Regulator

Yep,

Here's the article from 2008: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1111116144036

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)