Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How pathetic can people be

So today upon arriving at work today, I got out of my car and began walking towards where I needed to go and I looked behind to lock my car, when I noticed something. Some mother ****** swapped over rego plates with my xr6 overnight. The distinct LPG sticker on the new plates on my car gave it away as I dont drive gas cars. So after a big day of mucking around, numerous phone calls, visits to Vic roads, police station, I have new rego plates at a cost of $160, im not made of money. Seriously, how much of a scum bag can some low life ****s be? Why should I pay for someones ****en crime? Why should i be made to worry now that its happened, will it happen again? We live in a ****** society to say it bluntly.

Last edited by xr6-FTW; 29-07-2016 at 07:37 PM.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How pathetic can people be

Well on the positive side, be glad they just swapped the plates and didn't decide to ditch the other car and jack yours instead.

Seems a bit unfair that you had to pay for new plates though

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Who else is going to pay for new ones
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

I'm a little confused.. the only reason I could think of for swapping plates is to hopefully make it take longer for it to get reported the flat out stealing them to commit crimes.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm more surprised they even bothered to put plates back on your car after stealing your legit ones. That is the weirdest **** ever.

It is insulting that you have to pay that much for doing nothing wrong. As far as I'm aware you can get those special screws free of charge that make it a lot harder to steal plates.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Good excuse for a speeding ticket though, someone swapped the number plates while parked and didn't look twice while getting in the car.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Good excuse for a speeding ticket though, someone swapped the number plates while parked and didn't look twice while getting in the car.
Yes and no, what happens if you parked the car at 5pm, the plates got flogged at 7pm, and even if you noticed at 7 am and reported it, if the ticket was made at 11pm for argument sake, it's still a loss, however if the other car is a different make or a different colour, it can be fairly argued
Old 29-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Probably someone getting off their rocks playing a sick prank swapping plates, heard of someone years ago who did this sort of ****.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The annoying thing about today was the hassles I had to go through.Today was literally a cat a mouse type of day, VicRoads denied helping me initially after I rang the police because my car wasn't under my name, but under the name of where I bought the car at a car yard (6 friggen months ago mind you, pathetic from the sales bloke), so I had to make phone calls to the bloke I bought it off and get it properly transferred, then I had to go back to VicRoads to get my new plates etc, then after that I had to go to the police to give the swapped plates over. Real stressful day.

The interesting thing but I didn't mention was when I typed in the other rego number of the plates on my car, it came from an 03 ba xr6 in blueprint, so they planned this out cleverly if you think about it, because mines an 07 bf xr6 nitro blue pre production car. If the cops drove by and saw my rego plates on the other persons car, they wouldn't have noticed that it belonged to a different car, because their descripton on the computer would be the same pretty much. I just feel lucky I was able to notice that the plates were different because if it wasn't for the lpg logo on the plate I wouldn't have known and who knows what would of happened
Old 29-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #10
Kicking back

Sounds strange to me, don't you have to prove ownership to transfer rego? In nsw there is also a 3% transfer cost. Smells fishy to me
Old 29-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #11
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

17 bucks for new plates in Perth... They well and truly bent you over

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #12
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Is that the cost for re printed plates (in this case probably not the best idea) or new plates with new letters and numbers?
Old 29-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #13
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

New....

But If they steal your custom plates I think thats expensive..

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got the papers with the proof of ownership but I didn't have them with me because all of this happened during work so I couldn't go home to get the papers. Working at bmw luckily I was able to speak to the blokes who had access to rego details etc who showed me my names on the car now etc so luckily all of that was sorted out, kind of feels like a coinincedence but, I wanted black rego plates and I was wondering why I haven't received rego pending fees when its due next month, usually they send it bout 6 weeks before its due. It still makes me uneasy though, knowing theres evil people lurking around who don't care about others.
Old 30-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would have filled car up and as many jerry cans as i could at several service stations and not started a thread - yet

wear a hoody and a scribbled on texta fake neck tatt

srs tho / its a sh deal
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2016, 04:15 AM   #16
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'm more surprised they even bothered to put plates back on your car after stealing your legit ones. That is the weirdest **** ever.
I would say they made that decision following the logic that it's less obvious that the OPs plates were stolen if there are at least some plates on the car. Years ago somebody stole my plates and took the ones off my trailer to put on my car.

There would be plenty of people that would overlook the fact that the plates on their car are different but on the other hand, few people would be able to ignore it if their plates are totally missing.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #17
AUXRII

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
If the cops drove by and saw my rego plates on the other persons car, they wouldn't have noticed that it belonged to a different car, because their descripton on the computer would be the same pretty much.
Not the doughnut boys driving by that they've got to worry about. It's the vehicle plate detection cameras which would not have picked up the crime had you not reported it. Cop work today is fully automated.
AUXRII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
VicRoads denied helping me initially after I rang the police because my car wasn't under my name, but under the name of where I bought the car at a car yard (6 friggen months ago mind you, pathetic from the sales bloke), so I had to make phone calls to the bloke I bought it off and get it properly transferred, then I had to go back to VicRoads to get my new plates etc, then after that I had to go to the police to give the swapped plates over. Real stressful day.
Not sure how it works in Vic, but in NSW the seller doesn't have to notify the RMS that they've sold the car, just sign the back of the rego papers with the date of the sale.

The new owner then has to transfer the car into his name at the RMS and pay the transfer fee.
Old 30-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #19
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Not sure how it works in Vic, but in NSW the seller doesn't have to notify the RMS that they've sold the car, just sign the back of the rego papers with the date of the sale.

The new owner then has to transfer the car into his name at the RMS and pay the transfer fee.
Same process applies here in Vic...

Seller fills out the notice of disposal and buyer the notice of acquisition and is responsible for transfer and subsequent fees.

Last edited by rst2000; 30-07-2016 at 12:50 PM.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #20
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I really want to post about how pathetic people can be but I don't know if that would be regarded as off topic?

Anyway, OP have the police told you where the plates they put on your car came from? i.e were they from a car in the same area or from somewhere totally different? It would be interesting to get an idea of how these dropkicks operate. Also did they actually go to the effort of properly reattaching the plates or was it a rush job? I remember when thieves nicked my plates they only reattached my trailer plates with duct tape, which was a bit strange.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #21
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Tassie the seller notifies the roads dept that the vehicle has been sold to Xxxxx.The buyer is responsible for notifying the purchase and paying the transfer fees within 14 days.When I lived in Vic I thought the selling dealer added the fees to the purchase price and they paid Vicroads,again within 14 days.A seller really would have to be some sort of mug not to notify of a change of ownership because the reg owner is liable for all traffic penalties.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

I agree with Tassie f100, from my understanding even if the seller signs the back of the rego papers with date of sale etc... unless they actually lodge a notice of disposal ASAP they will still be liable for any infringements incurred by the new owner prior to them doing the transfer to their name. If you have access to a computer (which I'm sure most people do nowadays) I recommend lodging a notice of disposal before the new owner drives away my 2c worth
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #23
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Russ.When I bought my last vehicle the selling dealer had the disposal submitted to the reg branch by the time I got home,probably less than 1 hour,and went online to transfer it into my name.
Old 30-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #24
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gave my details and plates to the police and I'm waiting now for feedback from them, I kind of feel as though its quite common in my area because of how blunt the cop was with me. I kind of feel as though they won't get back to me on it but if they do I'll let you blokes know. I had a word to a couple neighbours who were quite shocked by what happened to me. It kind of worked out alright for me this experience because I was able to discover that transfership of my car to my name never happened, now fixed and I ended up with black number plates which I did fancy. Been a interesting year for me but so far, being fresh out of high school I've been thrown into the deep end quite a few times this year, so although I was ****ed off and still kind of am, good learning experience for me. Safety screw's are also on my car now.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
General issues played in vic around $35.

I think the op has purchased the black and white plates that start with A.

These are personalised plates but you don't get to choose the mix but do start with Axx xxx.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #26
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer I chose the black ones which start at A. The strange thing is however I was quoted 112 for the normal slim line ones, and 160 for the black ones. I wanted black but didn't expect it to be that much.
Old 30-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #27
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if this hadn't happened you could have been done for an unregistered car because Vicroads wouldn't have sent you a renewal notice.If the seller couldn't be bothered tranferring the rego he probably wouldn't care about advising you the reg was due for renewal
Old 30-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #28
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
Same process applies here in Vic...

Seller fills out the notice of disposal and buyer the notice of acquisition and is responsible for transfer and subsequent fees.
It pays to notify Vicroads if you sell your vehicle, they will record details & chase up the purchaser if they fail to hand transfer papers in, this stops a lot of hassles with fines etc from the new buyer, this was recommended to me from a Vicroads staff member as they will keep a photocopy of your transfer form for reference.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I gave my details and plates to the police and I'm waiting now for feedback from them, I kind of feel as though its quite common in my area because of how blunt the cop was with me. I kind of feel as though they won't get back to me on it but if they do I'll let you blokes know. I had a word to a couple neighbours who were quite shocked by what happened to me. It kind of worked out alright for me this experience because I was able to discover that transfership of my car to my name never happened, now fixed and I ended up with black number plates which I did fancy. Been a interesting year for me but so far, being fresh out of high school I've been thrown into the deep end quite a few times this year, so although I was ****ed off and still kind of am, good learning experience for me. Safety screw's are also on my car now.
Be prepared for a visit from Mr Plod.

This reeks of someone knocking off yours to commit a crime. If the database isn't updated they might just come knocking on your door.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #30
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
It pays to notify Vicroads if you sell your vehicle, they will record details & chase up the purchaser if they fail to hand transfer papers in, this stops a lot of hassles with fines etc from the new buyer, this was recommended to me from a Vicroads staff member as they will keep a photocopy of your transfer form for reference.

I personally don't bother with notifying VicRoads.

As i always keep a copy of the transfer papers & licence details anyway (simple to do with a mobile phone) if this scenario was to occur.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post