Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default accident carnage

I thought i would post a contrast from the ones who are always at odds over the road toll and speeding fines. This was published today...
TWICE as many Victorians are admitted to hospital for serious injuries suffered at home as are admitted for car accidents, figures show.
More than 26,000 Victorians were admitted to hospital after home accidents in the past financial year, compared with the 5974 people admitted for road trauma.

The 26,596 Victorians admitted to hospital in the past financial year is a big leap from the 18,887 in the 2002-03 financial year.

The figures have prompted safety experts to call for a road toll-style approach to injuries at home.

Robert Caulfield, president of Kidsafe Victoria, wants serious injuries suffered at home to be publicised in a "home toll'' to help raise awareness and to potentially fast-track the inclusion of safety features in building codes.

"We could achieve the same sort of effect that the road toll (campaign) has achieved,'' he said.

A week after a freak wall collapse killed three people in Melbourne, figures released by the Victorian Injury Surveillance Unit show 40 per cent of those injured by wall collapses at home spend at least a night in hospital.

In total, 414 people were taken to hospital after structural collapses in homes from 2006-10, with 168 injured in roof collapses.

Dozens more were wounded by falling doors, collapsing floors and windows giving way - as well as 15 injured by toppling walls.

VISU director Dr Lesley Day said the success of the 1969 "declare war on 1034'' road toll campaign could be replicated.

"Few of us realise that there are now twice as many people admitted to hospital following an injury sustained at home as those admitted following a road injury,'' Dr Day said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/realestate/ne...#ixzz2PwK26Q00

So for those who believe in speed cameras saving lives, i want to hear how you now intend to comply with the new measures being thought up in the name of safety - ie, On the spot fines for wearing socks and running on wooden floors. Not looking where you are going fines. New point-to-point detectors to see if you have been walking too fast behind your lawn mower. And Speed cameras to detect those who don't go slow enough in the bedroom. Even worse are the predicted hoon legislation for households - no loud voices, no running on the spot, and definitely no chasing games with the kids......

E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: accident carnage

Now that is drawing a long bow ..... but, I like it.

Agree with all but noot the sox on the wooden floor.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'll bet the Victorian government is thinking of a way to revenue raise from this. Home safety cams or something.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The article is actually true. I added the fines as a joke. Running in socks on a wooden floor is associated with FOOSH injuries (True). That is Fall Onto Outstretched Hand. Which causes forearm, wrist, and shoulder injuries. So we should do something about this - and in the same way we deal with road trauma. These are preventable injuries, and no-one NEEDS to be rushing around in socks, so we should slow them down for their own safety. Think of the children!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ye olde' angle grinder without a guard is probably the most common way to be injured during some dodgy DIY work.

One of my boss' nearly cut his damn wrist off by accident, severed nerves and tendons, never regained full use of his hand.

Could do some pretty sweet party tricks, once he accidentally gave himself a third degree burn on his dodgy hand without even realising.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Ye olde' angle grinder without a guard is probably the most common way to be injured during some dodgy DIY work.

One of my boss' nearly cut his damn wrist off by accident, severed nerves and tendons, never regained full use of his hand.

Could do some pretty sweet party tricks, once he accidentally gave himself a third degree burn on his dodgy hand without even realising.
Actually number one cause of serious injury is the humble ladder.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People just need to apply some common sense.. It's always some one else's responsibility / fault these days. Where turning into a nanny state, where the govt has a say in any and everything we do. Although those FOOSH injuries really should be looked at, there getting out of hand!
Ibanezteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i'll have to stop using baby seal wax on the wooden floors.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I don't want to get caught going too fast in the bedroom. Might curb my hoonish behavior
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is actually very funny!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

When these ideas and fixes are applied to the road toll pollies expect us to take them seriously but when you apply the same ideas to something like this it shows how ludicrous they really are.

More of the same from those who know how we all should live!!!

Be a good little Aussie and learn to take it ! WE KNOW BEST!!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Any statistics on vacuum cleaner injuries?
I'm sick of dragging the mongrel thing around every other day, gonna by one of those little robots...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post