Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default 2010 Xtrail vs Rav4 vs Forester vs Outlander

So after advice from anyone who has owned any of these 2010 models. Time for the MRS to have a new car and we require all wheel drive as we go to the snow every weekend in winter and i hate putting on chains.

I know the issues with the Xtrails CVT transmission, they were fixed in 2010. Haven't read anything bad about the other vehicles

The Forester seems the pick from reading reviews but will only afford a 2008-2009 for my 15k budget.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Re: 2010 Xtrail vs Rav4 vs Forester vs Outlander

I am considering a forester 2011-12 for my next work car. They are the last models with a proper high/low range centre diff. The later ones went CVT and an extra gear 6 (manuals only interest me). I would prefer the 5 speed with dual range to CVT. Purely from reviews I have read from owners the cvt is not the best off road. The subaru has the best awd system at the moment if you look for some videos on you tube there are a few showing what happens when only 1 wheel has drive on an incline most of the awd won't move and the subie walks up it. There is a reason Forester is a class leader and its all to do with the symmetrical awd system. Its no rock crawler but having the low range will come in handy at times. I have owned Subaru's before and as long as you service them and do the timing belt at 100k's they are fairly reliable, Japanese build quality and tend to hold their resale.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thanks mate, yeh auto only for the MRS, she can drive manual fine but wants an auto so that doesn't bother me.

The other thing i could possibly do is buy a 2010 turbo forester and sell the FG XR6T, and then get the MRS a $10,000 buzz box from auction. But i think i want to keep the FG, the swap over into a forester wouldn't be a great one for the FG.
Old 26-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your going to the snow, then the Forester is what you want.

Have had a MY09 Turbo (no low range) from new, can't fault it as winter weather vehicle.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you are looking at cars over 5 years old, put a greater emphasis on condition, km and service history. I would rather have a perfect least preferred model than a dog of your favourite.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
When you are looking at cars over 5 years old, put a greater emphasis on condition, km and service history. I would rather have a perfect least preferred model than a dog of your favourite.
I totally agree mate, having bought all used cars in the past i always search for immaculate well looked after vehicles, just takes a while to find them. This being a vehicle i will use in the snow though will cop a beating from stone chips, so it wont be immaculate for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
If your going to the snow, then the Forester is what you want.

Have had a MY09 Turbo (no low range) from new, can't fault it as winter weather vehicle.
I think any of the above cars will be fine for the snow we drive in over here. Everyone drives super slow and careful compared to other countries where it is normal and they just power in. Here i will drive maximum 20km along a road that has been recently ploughed, i've done a fair bit of driving in these conditions over the years.

Subaru seems a go with the X-Trail coming in second. It just sucks that i will have to look at an 08-09 Forester, where as i can get a 2012 X-Trail for my money.
Old 26-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

15k for a 8 year old Forester? Geesh. You could probably pick up a brand new one for 30k ish. How many km do they have for 15k?
Old 26-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V6 Rav4s are just hitting that price. Thats the only one id buy, everything else is gutless.
SHould be able to bargain hard on them too, as people think being a V6 they are thirsty. In reality they arnt any any worse than the 4 cylinder ones.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
15k for a 8 year old Forester? Geesh. You could probably pick up a brand new one for 30k ish. How many km do they have for 15k?
Under 120,000 and a good straight example is around 15k. This is why i was thinking X-Trail, 15k for a 2010 to 2012 one

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
V6 Rav4s are just hitting that price. Thats the only one id buy, everything else is gutless.
SHould be able to bargain hard on them too, as people think being a V6 they are thirsty. In reality they arnt any any worse than the 4 cylinder ones.
The only thing that has turned me off the Rav4 is how basic they are inside, the interior is horrible. Not too worried about power, we sit on 100km/h and rarely need to overtake

Last edited by fordomatic; 26-03-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 26-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Consider the outlander,
We have (daughter does now) a 2007 outlander xls, fully stacked with features,
it has a lot more room in the back, as the outlander is designed for the 3rd row of seating,
ours has about 120 000kms, it has taken us to Cairns, and to Melbourne (did the snowy mountains on that trip) up local mountainous gravel surface roads in national park where you need a high clearance vehicle.
Never had a mechanical drama, just servicing, tyres, battery.
When purchasing in this category, my wife wanted the forester, I made her test drive it and a few other suv's, she ended up liking the outlander the best, so in the end it is up to individual tastes.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yeh, i think forester is out due to them just being so expensive, check out this rough as guts example, cheapest 2010 i could find

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...3922517/?Cr=13
Old 26-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V6 outlander is the pick for me. Good power good on fuel and reliable. Sister has one since new and it's never let her down
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I bought a 2012 xtrail last year for the missus. Not something I like to drive. Just an a-b car. I have never seen snow, so can't attest to its attributes sorry. There is a knob on the centre console that you can turn to 4wd. Otherwise it is a front wheel drive, but will engage rear diff when wheels spin. You can lock it in proper 4wd, but you have to be going under 20km/hr. Pointless really. I got an X hire car that had 40,000km. The dealer actually had seven to choose from, I test drove four. They thought I was mad. I picked the best one. Really reliable.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #14
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outlander. My sister is onto her 3rd, an 08 base AWD Auto model, Sees Falls Creek every year, approaching 200k only done tyres, brakes, standard servicing.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 27-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Mate across the road bought an 08 Forester XT Turbo early last year, couldnt find one in SA and ended up flying to QLD for a nice low K example (80ish from memory).
He paid $22k for it plus flights and fuel home, $24k all up with inspection and rego transferred.
He was telling me all about it so i did a bit of googling and found that they are prone to engine failure.
Next time i saw him i mentioned it, he said it was rectified by 08.
A week later it **** itself and cost him $6995 for an engine rebuild.
He owes $32k on a car he could possibly get $15k for.

OT but when he told me he was looking for a new car i pointed him to the yard we had just bought my wifes Sportivo Camry from as they had another one in stock.
When the towie dropped him home after his fantastic subie lunched itself the towie pointed to the Wifes Sportivo in the driveway and said, should have bought one of them, bullet proof.
I couldnt help but **** myself laughing when he was telling me the story, poor bastard.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #16
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Mate across the road bought an 08 Forester XT Turbo early last year, couldnt find one in SA and ended up flying to QLD for a nice low K example (80ish from memory).
He paid $22k for it plus flights and fuel home, $24k all up with inspection and rego transferred.
He was telling me all about it so i did a bit of googling and found that they are prone to engine failure.
Next time i saw him i mentioned it, he said it was rectified by 08.
A week later it **** itself and cost him $6995 for an engine rebuild.
He owes $32k on a car he could possibly get $15k for.

OT but when he told me he was looking for a new car i pointed him to the yard we had just bought my wifes Sportivo Camry from as they had another one in stock.
When the towie dropped him home after his fantastic subie lunched itself the towie pointed to the Wifes Sportivo in the driveway and said, should have bought one of them, bullet proof.
I couldnt help but **** myself laughing when he was telling me the story, poor bastard.
Yeh, i thought about it last night, no way i could sell my FGXR6T and get a turbo Forester that is older, less specced and way slower.

Last edited by fordomatic; 27-03-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 27-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know its not on the list but have you considered the CR-V?? My wife bought a 2010 one brand new and it was a bloody good car... We got nearly 6 years and 105k out of it and was super reliable.. Never broke down or cost us any money apart from Normal Maintenance and wear and tear.... Plenty of room, AWD... They can be had (depending on year and spec) for what you have to spend..

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
I know its not on the list but have you considered the CR-V?? My wife bought a 2010 one brand new and it was a bloody good car... We got nearly 6 years and 105k out of it and was super reliable.. Never broke down or cost us any money apart from Normal Maintenance and wear and tear.... Plenty of room, AWD... They can be had (depending on year and spec) for what you have to spend..
Hey mate, yeh i thought about it but they are just too expensive for what they are, even more expensive than the Forester. I Don't want to pay $15,000 for an almost 10 year old car.

Looking at prices of all these cars it will be interesting to see how much room to move there is in the price. The biggest thing i have going for me is that i am not set on a certain car. So in my area there is 18 cars within 10 minutes drive of me that fit what i need. After looking at them i will be able to bargain pretty hard i think on around 5 i think.
Old 27-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #19
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Yeh, i think forester is out due to them just being so expensive, check out this rough as guts example, cheapest 2010 i could find

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...3922517/?Cr=13
I'm selling a 2010 Forester XS auto for $12k on carsales in Vic, it's the cheapest around but has 250k in the clock. Presents like a car that's travelled half that, and has just completed a trip around Australia clocking up 50k in 10 months !

I previously owned a 2010 Outlander XLS Lux pack, and whilst it had heaps of room and way more gadgets, the Subaru is the pick for keener drivers and better build quality overall. The downside is more frequent servicing.
Old 28-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #20
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
I'm selling a 2010 Forester XS auto for $12k on carsales in Vic, it's the cheapest around but has 250k in the clock. Presents like a car that's travelled half that, and has just completed a trip around Australia clocking up 50k in 10 months !

I previously owned a 2010 Outlander XLS Lux pack, and whilst it had heaps of room and way more gadgets, the Subaru is the pick for keener drivers and better build quality overall. The downside is more frequent servicing.
Yeh i have written off the Forester as an option now, after reading about service costs plus the fact i can only get a 2008 model if i want one with less than 120,000km. I know it is the better car but an Outlander and X-Trail are much cheaper to run, still bulletproof and i can get a much better newer example for my money.
Old 28-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #21
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

It is true that nothing went wrong with the Outlander in the three years I owned it, and was a more practical wagon for throwing things in and travelling around in. Try and get an XLS or higher if deadset on a 4 cyl, but it's worth mentioning the 6 cyl VR and VRX have a regular 6 speed auto rather than the droning CVT, plus a more intelligent 4WD adaptive system. Just my 2c worth !
Old 28-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
It is true that nothing went wrong with the Outlander in the three years I owned it, and was a more practical wagon for throwing things in and travelling around in. Try and get an XLS or higher if deadset on a 4 cyl, but it's worth mentioning the 6 cyl VR and VRX have a regular 6 speed auto rather than the droning CVT, plus a more intelligent 4WD adaptive system. Just my 2c worth !
Thanks mate, appreciate it
Old 28-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #23
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises
Whilst I do agree with you on the largesse of the bureaucracy and the wholesale rorting of the system, there is buckley's chance that this would ever be considered as a highway patrol option. Even with discounting, this thing would still come to $160k, something the bean counters won't look too kindly on. They buy the SS and XR6T for under $40k driveaway as an FYI.

This is just a clever marketing stunt by M-B.
This, perfect model over preferred. In saying that we have a 99 SF Forester manual with upgraded tyres (ContiCrossContact A/T) and it does the job.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #24
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
His criteria is snow ability, not performance
Old 28-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #25
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Yeh i have written off the Forester as an option now, after reading about service costs plus the fact i can only get a 2008 model if i want one with less than 120,000km. I know it is the better car but an Outlander and X-Trail are much cheaper to run, still bulletproof and i can get a much better newer example for my money.
Just don't get the 'service costs' comment, and we own a Forester. Waiting for somebody to explain what it requires that others don't, and I've worked as a mechanic
Old 28-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #26
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience Foresters are good to up 10 year mark but then more than often need fair bit of work. Vitara might be a good alternative as they are probably best off road out of compact SUVs. If it needs to be a Subaru - Outback could be a decent option - more space and no SUV tax.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 28-03-2016 at 07:12 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #27
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Just don't get the 'service costs' comment, and we own a Forester. Waiting for somebody to explain what it requires that others don't, and I've worked as a mechanic
Subarus have 6 monthly service intervals, most others are 12 months.
Old 28-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #28
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Nissan servicing costs can also be quite high as well. Would be worth checking on if service costs are weighing heavily on the decision.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #29
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Subarus have 6 monthly service intervals, most others are 12 months.
So use better oil and service annually. There is nothing on a Subaru different than any other vehicle.
Old 28-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #30
Fordmuscle1965

Whats wrong with a Suzuki Vitara? Daughter has a 2010 model and its an awesome little car with the engine going the right way(easy to work on) and is RWD by default.. Bonus is it has a proper Hi/Low range gearbox too.
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post