Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
goodpawn
Starter Motor

Default Mice in my ute!!!

I dont open my ute up too often as its parked up at work and only gets driven every 3 weeks, but had to get something from inside it today and noticed ******* mouse crap on the seat.
Where are they getting in from?
The mice around here are freaking tiny and I ve tried trapping them in the kitchen but the traps arent sensitive enough to catch them, I just end up feeding the little ******.
But this now means war. any ideas on how to stop them getting inside the cabin? I noticed a few weeks ago some crap in the engine bay as well.
Please help if you got suggestions
Cheers

goodpawn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Kil4Collingwood

Default Re: Mice in my ute!!!

Id be more concerned about the engine, mice like chewing wires.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ever considered investing in a cat?
If you do, don't feed it to much as they get lazy..............just like us.

Failing that, Mortein Ratsak generally cleans them up pretty quicky. Just make sure that your fat, lazy cat doesn't go eating the baited mice.

Last edited by J.C.; 18-03-2012 at 04:56 PM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
goodpawn
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Ever considered investing in a cat?
If you do, don't feed it to much as they get lazy..............just like us.

Failing that, Mortein Ratsak generally cleans them up pretty quicky. Just make sure that your fat, lazy cat doesn't go eating the baited mice.
I live on a mining camp so cats out of the question. I did see a feral cat walking over my ute one night. I should have caught it and chained the bastard to my wheel. Cant use ratsak either due to mines environmental policy. Cant even kill a spider here, have to call enviro officer in to remove it, same as mice but not worried about getting caught killing them!
Any other ideas?
Old 18-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

If it is a B series ute they get in through the aircon. Pull the glove box out and have a look in there, possibly behind the filter. Its actually a fairly common problem shared with the Territory. Theres a pipe underneath that they can climb up through and then nibble their way in.

The problems with baiting them is they could die in a body panel somewhere that you cant find or fish out.
Realistically theres not much you can do. Ive, touch wood, never had them in the cabin in my FG but found one in my front bar after I left the car in the carport whilst I was on holiday. I now leave a fake rubber snake under the car and another in front of the intercooler.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i had one in my BA ute last year. i had forgot and left the window down one night in the shed. i knew i had mice in the shed i was trying to get rid of.
anyway i set a normal mouse trap and put it behind the seat, took out any other goodys he might want to eat. next morning i had a dead mouse in the trap.

i dont know if its related or not but the heater hasnt worked since. have to pull the dash apart and look if it chewed something. not looking forward to that job.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
goodpawn
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
If it is a B series ute they get in through the aircon. Pull the glove box out and have a look in there, possibly behind the filter. Its actually a fairly common problem shared with the Territory. Theres a pipe underneath that they can climb up through and then nibble their way in.

The problems with baiting them is they could die in a body panel somewhere that you cant find or fish out.
Realistically theres not much you can do. Ive, touch wood, never had them in the cabin in my FG but found one in my front bar after I left the car in the carport whilst I was on holiday. I now leave a fake rubber snake under the car and another in front of the intercooler.
Just checked the filter and sure enough there was crap on it. ******* little ****ers. Does the rubber snake trick work? It will make me look like a right goose if I get one and it doesnt work.
Old 18-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm all for the Raksak.
Crack one open in your car and in the engine bay. Who going to know? The mice will run off by morning and not show the following night due to a sore belly.
You're only pretecting your property.
If the enviro's are so concerned about their mice, ask them what they would do if it was their rig. I'm sure they wouldn't like hopping into their cars and driving along, all the while sucking up the smell of rodent p!ss.
Old 18-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpawn
Just checked the filter and sure enough there was crap on it. ******* little ****ers. Does the rubber snake trick work? It will make me look like a right goose if I get one and it doesnt work.
Ive not had anything since but then its summer now so the chance of real snakes being around is a lot higher. I also heard that ****ing around your car works as your marking your territory, big predator kinda thing lol. Mothball is another old wifes cure as well as plenty of those big rat traps.
The Work Truck

Old 18-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
matty88

Try one of those one way "humane" rat catchers, mousey gets in, can't get out.
matty88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ive not had anything since but then its summer now so the chance of real snakes being around is a lot higher. I also heard that ****ing around your car works as your marking your territory, big predator kinda thing lol. Mothball is another old wifes cure as well as plenty of those big rat traps.

Excellent suggestion. Buy a carton, call three of your mates around, head to the car and take a corner each . That's sure to confuse the little furry buggers.

As silly as the above suggestion may sound, it .......may.....just ...work!
Just don't do it while sober, just in case you get sprung.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Talking Re: Mice in my ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.

Excellent suggestion. Buy a carton, call three of your mates around, head to the car and take a corner each . That's sure to confuse the little furry buggers.

As silly as the above suggestion may sound, it .......may.....just ...work!
Just don't do it while sober, just in case you get sprung.
hahahaha great idea!

only one problem... instead of your car smelling like mouse pee, its smells like your mate Chonga's whiz!

probably strip the paint too
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put a half full bucket of water in the passengers foot well with a little bridge out of plastic/perspex, (something that they cant get a grip on) for them to walk out onto and when they get to the end they fall in and I dont think they can tread water for very long.
Have it going from the seat out into the middle of the bucket.
Obviously a little peanut butter on the end of the plank as bait, have it on such an angle that that they should just slip off the edge.
If you use ratsak they might go and die in your A/C vent or something and stink out your car.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
goodpawn
Starter Motor

Quote:
Theres a few holden fans round here that would happily **** all over my ford if given the chance. I was told that there is a poison that makes them seek out water before they die so might give that a go and hope one doesnt get stuck in the panels somewhere and die.
cheers for the suggestions
Old 18-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Put a half full bucket of water in the passengers foot well with a little bridge out of plastic/perspex, (something that they cant get a grip on) for them to walk out onto and
when they get to the end they fall in and I dont think they can tread water for very long.
Have it going from the seat out into the middle of the bucket.
Obviously a little peanut butter on the end of the plank as bait, have it on such an angle that that they should just slip off the edge.
If you use ratsak they might go and die in your A/C vent or something and stink out your car.
He's trying to get rid of them dude, not offer them free entry to the water park.
With ratsak, they go looking for water,so hopefully, they make it outside an not get to sidetracked before going leg up.

Last edited by J.C.; 18-03-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

you can get those posion blocks now.

a pest control guy told me that the red ones will make them go away looking for water, the green ones make them hemerage internally and they will not get far from the bait.

i had a large rat in the ceiling of the house week before last , put one red bait up there tied to a fafter with cable tie. in 2 days it was completly gone and there has been no sign or smell of the rat since.
last winter i had a heap of mice got in the shed . put out green baits and had a shed full of stinky dead mice.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
LUV DE COUPE

At my place the mice have thinned out,went to start the P6 the other day would'nt fire lift the bonney a family of sh#$%y rabbits were living on top of the engine and had chewed the leads off the dizzy. Towed car out of machinary shed and into fully enclosed shed
LUV DE COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

Holy crap! Rabbits! Sure they weren't gigantic mutant mice?

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid

a pest control guy told me that the red ones will make them go away looking for water, the green ones make them hemerage internally and they will not get far from the bait.

i had a large rat in the ceiling of the house week before last , put one red bait up there tied to a fafter with cable tie. in 2 days it was completly gone and there has been no sign or smell of the rat since.
last winter i had a heap of mice got in the shed . put out green baits and had a shed full of stinky dead mice.
i have just been told about this stuff recently myself, i believe the name of the stuff is something like racumin, we have a rather large rat that`s taken up residence in our garage/ back yard, we had a cat take up residence in our back yard for a while ......but i think the rat ate it
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Put a half full bucket of water in the passengers foot well with a little bridge out of plastic/perspex, (something that they cant get a grip on) for them to walk out onto and when they get to the end they fall in and I dont think they can tread water for very long.
dunno about treading water, but they can swim. they can also hold their breath for about 5-6 minutes underwater.
i have problems with them getting under the bonnet (i can see their foot prints in the dust). trouble is it's cold outside and nice and warm under the hood.
Old 19-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpawn
Theres a few holden fans round here that would happily **** all over my ford if given the chance. I was told that there is a poison that makes them seek out water before they die so might give that a go and hope one doesnt get stuck in the panels somewhere and die.
cheers for the suggestions
**** around your ute numb nuts not on it I live in the country so didnt see a problem waving my wang around the car port. But after finding Mr mouse under my intercooler I went a bit nuts and would try anything. As someone said its nice and warm in the engine bay. I have about 10 traps a couple of rubber snakes out there now and not seen any evidence since. Apart from the dead ones in the traps.

Remember also where there is one there are many. As winter comes around the problem gets worse especially with the wet summer. Last year there were plague amounts for rats and mice around. I imagine this year will be the same. With all the snakes moving in to peoples ceilings for the winter they roam about outside fairly safe.

I also may be talking complete ***** but have come across a few unwanted hitchhikers with customers cars and had to seek advise from Pros on how best the customer might remove them.
The Work Truck

Old 19-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid

The different colours signify different active ingredients, green ones are typically Bromadiolone, red ones can be Brodifacoum and Comalateryl etc.

I wouldnt spend too much time 'proofing' the car but rather focus on getting rid of them from the area where the car is stored. Use bait placed around the place and minimise any food sources that might be making the area attractive to them.
Old 19-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'd be going something like this,
http://www.derwenttraders.com.au/con...n-us/d236.html
I have a different version that I bought from Bunning's, they work and are very effective.
For one you don't have dangerous bait around to harm other animal's, like if you have a dog on your property and you use harmfull bait, the mouse/rat takes it, run's away and dies, then the dog etc eat's the mouse/rat ?.
And you don't have to worry about setting the trap each time like normal mouse trap's that will only catch one per time, so obviously your vehicle is not used for period's of time, this will catch number's of them if they are there.
A little peanut butter and they will find there way there.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont bait them. Thats what i did and the ****** died in my vents somewhere, never found it but it stank so bad for ages. Cant remember the name of the carpet deoderant stuff i got but one drop in each of the 4 footwells was enough to kill the dead mouse smell for 2 days, and it had completely gone away after about 2 weeks.
It sucks.
That was with the red bait that makes them hunt for water too, so i wouldnt trust it to stop them dying in your car.

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylby1
Dont bait them. Thats what i did and the ****** died in my vents somewhere, never found it but it stank so bad for ages. Cant remember the name of the carpet deoderant stuff i got but one drop in each of the 4 footwells was enough to kill the dead mouse smell for 2 days, and it had completely gone away after about 2 weeks.
It sucks.
That was with the red bait that makes them hunt for water too, so i wouldnt trust it to stop them dying in your car.
nilodour?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #26
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
nilodour?
thats the one. bloody Good stuff.

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #27
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Get one of these new fandangled plastic mouse traps. Similar to the old wooden ones but modern.
Peanut paste will do the trick every time. Better than cheese.

Something like this one.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #28
cowboy
Cowboy

I had this problem a while back in all my cars. I work on the oil rigs so I'm away 4 weeks at a time and the mice moved into my shed. I now place Racumin sachets or Storm blocks under the cars and in the footwells of all of them. Never had one die and stink up the car yet.

I also built bucket traps. Ordinary bucket with a wire across it and a small bottle coated in peanut butter skewered on the wire. Fill the bucket half full of water and put a ramp leading up to the bottle. They walk onto the bottle to eat, it rotates and drops them in. They can swim but they can't tread water forever. I was getting 40-50 mice a night in 6 of these traps for a while.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #29
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Porsche and GT are stored in a shed in the country. No mice as I have a BIG brown snake lurking in the shed somewhere. Not that I'm recommending you stick a brown in your ute...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post