Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you attend an alchohol free Summernats?
Yes 335 78.09%
No 48 11.19%
If I could drink Saturday night 35 8.16%
Undecided 11 2.56%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Default Would you attend an alchohol free Summernats?

Following on from my other thread, a couple of posts made me curious on your thoughts. This would be a step of mega preportions, and I wouldn't expect it to happen, but I would be interested in your opinions.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

Jep be there with bells on.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
hambo_12

Yes. I would love it and I would bring my GF and little brothers instead of leaving them at home...

The dickheads at the summernats truly ruin it, they really do...

I know even no alcohol will not keep some of them away, but it will improve it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, I would kill to attend any summernats. Almost made it this year but left it too late. Hopefully next year.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

yep. Its meant to be about cars, not ****ers getting as ****ed as they can.
Old 25-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Yep, it would be good to sort the enthusiests from the ****heads, people should be able to attend with familys/kids without fear of harrasment.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
hambo_12

Just on that thought, I also think a lot more people with cars would turn up too to cruise and show their cars. I bet some of them are scared of what drunk idiots will do to their cars.

The show cars might also come out of the show rooms for a cruise if it was a bit safer.....?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I said yes.

You have to look and see what the place is about. Is it about the cars or getting tanked ? I'm certainly not going there to drink overpriced drinks....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

i voted yes as well, why waste your time getting sloshed when you could be admiring beautiful cars which is what you initially go for isnt it???

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Of course! I go to a car show to see cars, not get drunk. As long as I can drink Vanilla Coke.. and when I get sick of that.. either Orange Juice or Water.. and leat lots of fattening food.. I'm fine.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #11
MorphUnreal
w00tage

i'd love to go either way. but to bann the alcohol completely could ruin things for the organisers (less profit from drink sales). atleast give the **** pots 1 night to booze up, if you have families, u know when to keep away..

either that or have some drink system so u can't have more than two drinks in a night, maybe designated daves can get a free coke or something also if ur being even too drunk and disorderly or if theres a complaint about someone they get sent away.

you cant take the alcohol away, but you could make people a little more considerate by limiting drinks.
MorphUnreal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:07 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

I've been attending the Summernats as a trader for over 10 years and I think the nats has got a lot more family freindly over the last coulpe they have had without stupid drunken 16/17 year olds that I have seen in the past that camp and run totally out of control with older brother's and mates to feed them the drinks. Being drunk with a lot of mates as back up has seen a few bashings, rapes and stupid behavouir. I have seen idiots throw a bucket of water into a open window of a car because it would not smokem up. The nats is about cars and having a good time not alcohol.
Plus the cars are getting better each year I go up with less banana brains to ruin it for others.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

One night wouldn't hurt. The bars don't have to be open all that long Saturday night.... long enough to have a few drinks would be a nice way to celebrate the big night!

Heaps of Police and security would soon put the real morons in their place (if they showed up at all). I'd be much more inclined to attend.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
XRated
Shoot.

Personally I've never been, but that is probably what puts me off the most. I'd love to go and take my girlfriend but am concerned about all the drunken louts.

I know for a fact that it is putting a lot of people off. I remember talking to a customer (who is far from a bogan) and was never going to go again because of the crowd. It's really a pity as it has the potential to draw bigger and better crowds.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I'd love to go and take my girlfriend but am concerned about all the drunken louts.

My g/f didn't want to go coz she heard that it's all "show us your tits". I have to say tho, that when I went I didn't see much of that sort of stuff at all. A few years back it was worse.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Yes, and a handful of other events too.
Booze just seems to have the uncanny ability to bring the best out in people......

Rick.
Old 25-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #17
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I would go to a drink free NAts, but i am an adult and hence don't mind a beer at the end of the day while talking about all the stuff I've seen.
THere is nothing to stop people from going to a venue outside the Nats for a few drinks, run a bus to the CBD let people do as they please,
To put it simply make it a alcohol free zone inside the grounds, anywhere near the cars, or organised activites. Have a seperate out of the way, isolated "Bronx" for those campers that intend on getting drunk. It would be a simple checkbox on the campsite application form. Very easy to police too

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #18
FordFan86
meow

Ah hell no, going out to something like that you gotta have booze :P
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #19
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I dont think the these people are as drunk as you think, they're just morons.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #20
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Yep, it would be good to sort the enthusiests from the ****heads, people should be able to attend with familys/kids without fear of harrasment.
What he said. A couple of mates who went this year and last year had some seriously bad experiences which should not have happened, and if I'd been there I would currently be dead or in jail. I've got nothing against people haivng a beer or two and enjoying a good atmosphere, but from what I've heard it just goes waaaaaay past that. Bottom line though is that an alcohol ban is just not gonna happen because the dickheads who come along just to drink themselves stupid(er) and cause trouble make the organisers too much money to be ignored. The whole family friday thing is a good compromise though and next year I'll be sure to tell work to get stuffed I'm goin.
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #21
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
I dont think the these people are as drunk as you think, they're just morons.
probably true, but alcohol + moron = really stooopid moron
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #22
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I'd go when the grog goes. Every social event I've been to (party, function, whatever) that has had something go bad, it has been because of alcohol. Both of my Fords got damaged due to excess alcohol consumption... and it was the same person each time, bastard!!!

I can't believe I'm *still* a summernats virgin :(

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #23
MrLandau

I had one of my Landau's vandalised by a bunch off ****ed ****ers at Summernats 12. After they gravel rashed my car trying to do a burnout in the grass (that was really gravel) I tried to get the guy to stop. His mates had a go at my car (all ****ed) as I was telling the guy what a ******** he was for damaging my car. I drove my car there from Adelaide - very carefully as not to get any stone chips or damage to it - and some ****er sprayed the entire car with gravel and his mates threw clumps of rock & dirt at it. The security guard appoligised to me as he was only a gate guard and had no back-up to stop it. A reduction of alcohol and drugs would stop the REALLY STUPID behaviour - I am the first person to light my car up - but I would never damage anyone elses whilst doing it.
Shane

Growing old is inevitable
:eclipsee_ Growing up is optional :eclipsee_
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:39 PM   #24
big_pete
Sublime

i voted yes.
however i think a one night booze limit is a very good idea.
ive noticed over the past few years (this year especially) the ******** factor is way down.
but the simple fact of the matter is when you get a bunch of people together there is always going to be trouble. these people are generally non-entrants and i dont think they are even proper car enthusiasts at all. the one night booze would be good as it allows people still to get drunk and it also is a warning for others to stay clear that night. Friday night would be the best night as the stunt and fireworks attracts alot of kids. they could even start serving alcohol after the fireworks has finished

they also need to look at how they serve the alcohol, as it seems there are 2-3 main places where people constantly hang around to get the booze.
this could be changed to have more outlets so there is less crowds lining up, these outlets should be away from the cruize route also, as that is where most problems occur

i personally am happy with the way it is at the moment, with only a few changes need to be made with how they serve their alcohol. it could be even better.
Old 25-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #25
iCat
doof doof doof doof

I'd go if it was alcohol free - I've never been simply because of that reason.

If there was no alcohol, it'd clear out every pretend wannabe. They wouldn't bother turning up because they're not there for the cars, only for the hooliganism.

No alcohol would cut profits, but it makes me wonder how much more the crowd would be up in numbers, but also how much less the insurance would cost .... I think it might even itself out financially ....
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #26
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Yep. I've seen it improve a lot over the last few years & would have no problem with an alcohol ban. Anyone who can't go without a drink for 4 days isn't someone I want to hang around anyway.

The only issue I could see would be the event losing the cash that VB & JD currently kick in.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #27
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fire
The only issue I could see would be the event losing the cash that VB & JD currently kick in.
which id say would be rather alot too. chic henry knows the risks of having such a wild event and i cant see him not being backed well by VB and JD, otherwise the risk wouldnt be worth it
Old 25-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #28
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Damage to my car is the main reason I wouldnt go. From what I have heard off mates that have been down over the past 5 yrs, unless you own a full house Holden dont even bother taking it as the crowds of drunken morons tend to pay particular attention to the Fords

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #29
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox
Damage to my car is the main reason I wouldnt go. From what I have heard off mates that have been down over the past 5 yrs, unless you own a full house Holden dont even bother taking it as the crowds of drunken morons tend to pay particular attention to the Fords
That doesn't surprise you does it?
I still haven't gone to the summernats, would like to go someday... wouldn't bother me if there's alcohol or not, tho probably feel a little easier without being around a bunch of ****ed morons.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #30
EFFalcon
Last warning

yer i'd go.
i don't drink :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post