Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Unhappy HELP: Ultra Stubborn Tree Sap Mist

HELP: After a week down Bussleton (South of Perth) my car seems to be covered in what I think is Tree Sap Mist from Peppermint Gums.

Being a white car it looks so bad; like someone has drizzled brown spray paint over every upper surface.

Have tried various polishes and even Meguires CLAY Detailing system but to no avail.

The only thing that remotely looks like working is "T-Cut" polish although this is pretty harsh stuff, still takes ages to bring back even a small area and I am looking for something to remove the mist without cutting hell out of the paint.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Swampy

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

This sounds like some random stuff I had on my old camry. The only thing that ended up getting it off, was a little tub of Gumption, and a non stick fry pan scourer, rubbed very lightly. My paint didnt get scratched or anything, but I dont know if Id recomend it for a newer car. Hope that helps mate.
Old 29-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

no no no if your car's paint is still in good nic dont go cutting back layers, there are only so many and you will need those later on in the cars life

I find there is an awesome tar,bug and sap remover which just wipes on, you let it go for a little while and then come back and buff off. It takes all the shi*t off and leaves the car with a good shine. Only costs $9

Sorry i can remember the name, i will need to look at it when i get home in a few hours (I think it is Meguirs, but am not sure)
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Thanks, I look forward to the name of that.

Am getting really desperate, any advice would be great.

Thanks

Swampy
Old 29-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you tried the megs step 1 paint clnr , aslo you may also try a stronger clay as this could help out.

further to this i would not be parking under the tree and or using a quick detail to remove this as soon as it gets on the car and not leaving it.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Try Eucalyptus oil.......seriously
Old 29-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
Try Eucalyptus oil.......seriously

Or Tea Tree oil just wipe it liberally and dry towell it of...and never park under the trees again without a car cover.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
Julza
871 Productions Filmmaker

i agree with 05MKIIFutura, give the bug and tar remover a go mate (works wonders)

cheers,
Julza

http://www.youtube.com/871productions
Julza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #9
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

"Sugar-Soap" i can't remember the brand name. Brother inlaw had the problem with peeing peppermint gums wrecking his wb's paint sugar soap got the crap off but needed a polish and wax afterwards...naturally :voldar02:
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a horticulturalist and I have never heard of tree sap mist from Agonis Flexuosa's (Pepermint Gums) or any kind of trees. This is interesting, especially that I live in Perth and my ute is due out from the workshop next week from a respray AND I want to go for a cruise down south sometime soon too! Thinking about it it could be possible too especially if they were in flower.

And NEVER park under trees, especially if the trunk is smooth and light coloured, (mostly Eastern states trees are like this) not only is the acid from the nuts and leaves highly acidic but they are they are prone to drop branches especially at this time of year. Tree's are amazing things, they know its getting warm and water will be scarce so they drop limbs to preserve energy and consentrate on root and leaf growth.

I work at a Edith Cowan University as a gardener, I have seen plenty of cars get crushed in our carparks thats for sure, but the sap mist is new to me, im researching this one thats for sure!
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
XR Davo

There's a product called Sap Sucker distributed by Pacer Auto Products. You can buy online. http://www.pacer.com.au/shop/index.php

Works a treat just spray on and hose off. I have a white car too. This stuff just melts the sap there's no scubbing no paint damage. Worth a go definately.
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 05:26 PM   #12
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

ultra gloss paint cleaner gets rid of most stuff. or bug and tar remover works good.
1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Thanks, I look forward to the name of that.

Am getting really desperate, any advice would be great.

Thanks

Swampy

The stuff is made by ArmorAll and is just called Bug & Tar Gel and i bought it for $9 from big W, but i am sure supercheap will be a dollar cheaper, if you really care that much and are willing to listen to the crappy 'SCAR" radio station they play!!

Wipes on and buffs off (and waxes your car at the same time!!!)

Worked wonders on my (white) car, best way to keep it looking shmick without a full wax
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
Swampy
BFII Ghia - Lovin it!

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Have tried quite a few and here's what happened:

Eucalyptus Oil - Didn't move it at all.

Sugar Soap - Eventually 10 mins for an area the size of a manderin.

Meguires Paint Cleaner - Works but still takes quite a bit of rubbing. Did about an 1/8th of the bonnet and took about 15 minutes.

So at this time will just persavere with that.

The problem is I think, that the car was well overdue for a polish and with the paint being porus, it really stuck fast.

When I first noticed it, I didn't think too much of it as I thought, it needed a polish anyway and there was my motivation.

Lesson learnt.

Thanks

Swampy
Old 01-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you sure it's tree sap and not paint spray
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post