Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Quasyt

Default VF Commodore 'SS' ready for US market..

Basically,

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012...r-reveal-33438

If Holden are sending a car to the states to compete in the Large Sedan market over there, I think Ford are bonkers to keep something as brilliant as the new GS/GT sedans an Australian only thing.
I'm sure there would be a huge market over there for a rear-drive, V8 sedan from Ford, as nothing springs to mind (it's 4:18am and I'm tired and there is probably a long list of rear-drive, V8 sedans by Ford in the US but the brain is hazy at best).
Take the Commodore Vs. Falcon rivalry to the US to see what their verdict is as I'm sure there is a much more even number of Chevrolet and Ford fans.

One love, word to ya mother

1979 Madaz 626 - 13b
Quasyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VF Commodore 'SS' ready for US market..

I agree with you completely.....however Ford never designed the Falcon with LHD options in mind whereas Holden did (picture their dashes for example).
Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Quasyt

Yeah, true. But it can't be that much of a big deal. The way I see it, money made in the US vs. cost to do all the RnD and commit the LHD conversion, is quite easily going the be the profit from US

1979 Madaz 626 - 13b
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thats a NASCAR.......
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only sad thing I've always thought is that they aren't selling them under the "Holden" badge...why do they have to rebadge them as a Chevrolet???

Years back when we owned a VX Lumina, we bought a set of clear taillights (which actually looked good on the deep red paint with the other chrome touches), and I sold the perfect original taillights on Ebay. I was shocked when there was a strong bidding war between two guys...in the USA! One was in New York, and the other in another city.
The guy in New York won, and I corresponded with him for a while via email. I was interested why someone in the states would want Holden taillights, and he said he owned a "Pontiac GTO", a black one. He sent pictures of it in a few New York locations. Now, the interesting thing was that he also had on order a set of front panels from some spares place in Australia, to replace the Pontiac front end. He also had a set of Holden and Monaro badges on order from Holden.
He said that quite a few GTO owners over there were, to be different, returning them to being badged and have the appearance of Monaros! He had the taillights (which he sent a photo of after fitting, taken somewhere on a wharf area, with the Statue of Liberty way off in the background over the bay...unfortunately I can't find that picture again), and when the rest of the stuff turned up, he was going to "make it back into a Monaro" as it were.

I wonder if they did any actual customer focus groups to see if they would be interested in buying an "Australian" car as opposed to something with Chev badges...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6
I agree with you completely.....however Ford never designed the Falcon with LHD options in mind whereas Holden did (picture their dashes for example).
Yes...I remember the center console in particular is very obviously designed to be used either way with that handbrake and matching "grab handle" on the other side. The FG could be done in LHD, as the center of the console is not "sided" and would suit a driver sitting on either side...it would just be a matter of moulding a new dash top. The center console is another matter...the handbrake is on the wrong side for a start, and a new moulding would have to be done to mirror it. Given the amount of plastics used in new cars though, it couldn't be that hard...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Quasyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Thats a NASCAR.......
^ not sure if serious..?

I enjoy that story 2001G6E, I can see why they'd want to smash a Monaro back to look like a Holden when it is a Holden. What I don't get is when guys try to pas their Commodore off as a Chevrolet when it is a Holden at heart.

1979 Madaz 626 - 13b
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

I know a few people who want out falcons in the us. These people have the cash to buy whatever they desire.

Im certian its got something to do with the uaw not wanting to allow an import market that in their eyes will compete with the locally assembled vehicles.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Quasyt

But on that point, why let the Commodore move in?

1979 Madaz 626 - 13b
Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quietly expecting to build 100,000 Commodores a year in 2014?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6
I heard that the Fairlane (at the time of the AU series) was designed for LHD export. At that time the intended recipients were the Arabs (Saudi Arabia?)

Not sure how accurate this info is.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
tweeked
N/A all the way

I believe that the FG is "LHD Protected" in that it is engineered ready to be made LHD, but not yet developed, so all of the main hard points would not be modified if they chose to go LHD, but still plenty of money to spend to get it there.

As for sending the GS/GT over there, they would love it BUT it would cost as much as an M3 does over there. This is why the Pontiac version of the cheaper Commy never sold to what they wanted. I dont see the Chev being any different, either that or Holden will make 3/5's of bugger all on each one.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Thats a NASCAR.......
Thats because the SS will be in NASCAR next year
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
As for sending the GS/GT over there, they would love it BUT it would cost as much as an M3 does over there. This is why the Pontiac version of the cheaper Commy never sold to what they wanted. I dont see the Chev being any different, either that or Holden will make 3/5's of bugger all on each one.

It will probably be more like 1/5 of bugger all. With the aussie $ being as strong as it is against the US$, and the price of cars over there in general, there couldn't be much to be made from this deal. But, it'll keep the factory turning over, in effect keeping plenty of people in jobs here so good work Holden for pulling it off.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You wouldn't bother until 2014. As it is, some Americans already think FG is a 90's car due to not having a 1.5m hip line. Then there's a question of parts supply. Even sending over V8 only models, you would need to support the supercharger and everything else with the local install. But then there would be some negativity from a supercharged 5L only claiming 335kw. Unless you try convince the US public and AUS government it's a different mechanical package and badge it 375kw.

They'll never sell a "Holden" in the US as they just culled their niche brands a few years ago and they need products to sell in their current dealerships.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
I heard that the Fairlane (at the time of the AU series) was designed for LHD export. At that time the intended recipients were the Arabs (Saudi Arabia?)

Not sure how accurate this info is.
Probably extremely inaccurate as it would have been clashing directly with the Crown Victoria in Middle Eastern markets.

And yes, the E8 platform is design protected for LHD but the work has not been done. Or has it...

Changing interior plastics for LHD suitability is really a trivial issue in the scheme of the engineering works required to the rest of the vehicle.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Is that your number or holdens?? Who's ever it is, tell them there dream!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Is that your statement, or are you quoting the article. It stated

Quote:
Most US pundits believe the Chevrolet SS will outsell the Holden VF Commodore in full year volumes by 2014. And, say insiders, a total production of 100,000 cars from Holden’s Elizabeth plant is not unexpected.
Thus that 100,000 would also include 30,000 cruzes also. The original stories stated that it was going to be "niche" at around 3000 to 4000 commodore exports a year to the US. But at 3000 to 4000 a year, theres every likelyhood that by 2014 that US sales are outselling commodore in Australia (by then the VE series III will be 8 years old)
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Didn't Holden end up selling more Monaros in the US than Aus?
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

Good on them. I live in adelaide and it could be just what the industry needs. With the future of ford aus and holden hanging in the balance id hate to see both aussie rwd head to the gallows
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Didn't Holden end up selling more Monaros in the US than Aus?
Considerably more. Even the UK sold more than us IIRC
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisosicko
Good on them. I live in adelaide and it could be just what the industry needs. With the future of ford aus and holden hanging in the balance id hate to see both aussie rwd head to the gallows
Well it won't save Commodore in Australia. With how pre emptive they've been about announcing everything else, and their statement that they've decided what will be built 2018-2022, you have to assume Commodore is not part of that. It's only hope is if the Chevy SS takes of significantly enough to justify being built alongside the Camaro.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Is that your statement, or are you quoting the article. It stated

Thus that 100,000 would also include 30,000 cruzes also. The original stories stated that it was going to be "niche" at around 3000 to 4000 commodore exports a year to the US. But at 3000 to 4000 a year, theres every likelyhood that by 2014 that US sales are outselling commodore in Australia (by then the VE series III will be 8 years old)
I read that to mean 100,000 cars over the life of the model. 100,000 Commodores per annum is pie in the sky crap.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
The only sad thing I've always thought is that they aren't selling them under the "Holden" badge...why do they have to rebadge them as a Chevrolet???
Holden is basically the Australian arm of Chevrolet. I remember reading GM considered rebranding Holden at the time that GM Daewoo was rebranded as Chevrolet.

I'd like to see them sold as what they are as well, but the Chevy badge has way too much pulling power in the States.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #24
Buntz
Straight Eight

I'd love to see them branded as Chevy's over here. It would really hit home to people what their All-Australian-Car is.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I read that to mean 100,000 cars over the life of the model. 100,000 Commodores per annum is pie in the sky crap.
Um, no. It says 100,000 cars per year from the Elizabeth plant, which also includes Cruze.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasyt
But on that point, why let the Commodore move in?

Gm and ford have different opinions, and unlike gm, ford arent on the ropes so to speak.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Um, no. It says 100,000 cars per year from the Elizabeth plant, which also includes Cruze.
100,000 per year is about 8,400/month which is around 400 to 420 / day....which is Holden current production level.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #28
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

Thats all we need.

A legitimate excuse for the Chev badge brigade to keep doing what they're doing
Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #29
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
Thats all we need.

A legitimate excuse for the Chev badge brigade to keep doing what they're doing
Because they haven't already been exported to South Africa, South America and the Middle East as a Chevy Lumina for over a decade already.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Because they haven't already been exported to South Africa, South America and the Middle East as a Chevy Lumina for over a decade already.

The VF has been out for a decade???