Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Holden down days

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...928-26ouo.html

Interesting the start of the end for Holden?

BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Holden down days

Maybe the general public are starting to see how lower rung the Cruze is compared to its superior rivals.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The news article

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226483305185

has gone onto quote Holden as saying:

Quote:
These market response days represent less than four per cent of Holden's total production for 2012 and are a common measure for aligning production with demand in a competitive marketplace
To say its four percent of 2012 production, 3/4's of the way thru the year, roughly translates that they are reducing production by 16% over the remaining 1/4 of the year. 16% can almost equate to 3-4 days off each month for the next 3 months.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was talking to a bloke that works in the spray booth, they have more down days planned and there are offers for redundancy packages on offer aswell, the yards are full at the moment.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
BHDOGS
Banned

If it was ford thered be aff members screaming from the rooftops this news barely a mention in the News it seems
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
If it was ford thered be aff members screaming from the rooftops this news barely a mention in the News it seems
i was thinking the same thing. its no real surprise though as its obvious where many allegences lie.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Also, there would be the experts claiming that:

-Ford is slowly "phasing out" the falcon
-How there is not enough marketing to arrest the sales slide (ironic, eh?)
-That Ford are stupid, for implementing the EcoBoost, instead of a Diesel.
-The saving grace would be not just a wagon, but a AWD twinturbo 500kw GT-HO coupe.

And, there will be the talk of how great it will be that if Ford can the falcon, we will be able to get a F-150 for 29K

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Not surprised by this news as the Commodore is on track in 2012 to record the lowest number of sales since the VB was released in 1978.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thought I had looking ahead is that Holden have commited massive amounts to future Commodore's as part of receiving fed government assistance now. Would a new VF really give their sales a massive lift, or would it's next replacement do the same. Looking at the large car segment where it's mostly Commodore, Falcon, Aurion and then the rest, the total segment number has been dropping every years for a while now. Holden may actually be in the crap faster then Ford because it has already commited itself into a market which is shrinking and Ford, because of it's later model cycle has had more time to see what has been unfolding and maybe be better positioned to deal with it as a result.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get government money make people redundant must just be good business they all seem to be doing it. funny how when its ford there's pages of doom and gloom on here in seconds by all the so called ford fans
Old 28-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I do wonder why holden have put the VF off for so long...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is not good for Australian jobs.. Very sad

Also, why are people surprised when there is Ford news, the pages "go off" & when there is Holden news the pages are "quite".. What do people except, this is Ford Forums??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I do wonder why holden have put the VF off for so long...
Because they overcommitted so much on the "billion dollar baby", they had no money to spend on the VF when it was due a couple of years ago.

They should have called it the "billion dollar millstone", because thats what it became when sales didn't even get close to the numbers they envisioned the VE would sell.

They are kidding themselves if they think the VF is going to sell up a storm and massively expand their numbers. At best it will increase them a little for the first 6 months and then the slide will continue. People have moved on from large sedans.

They must be stressing having committed so much money for the future when by the time it gets to release it will be selling in much smaller numbers.
Old 29-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its simple every 2nd car on the road is a VE how much can you actually sell!!
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
This is not good for Australian jobs.. Very sad

Also, why are people surprised when there is Ford news, the pages "go off" & when there is Holden news the pages are "quite".. What do people except, this is Ford Forums??
It's no secret I hate GM product. But Australian jobs are at stake, and that is a sad thing indeed. Chin up and good wishes to all Holden employees.

Quote:
The sensationalist media likes to have someone to kick in the guts when they're down. Directing people into what they should like, and what they shouldn't.

Like when the news shills for Apple, and advertises the release of their products as 'news'. Makes me sick to my stomach.. such moral compromise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Also, there would be the experts claiming that:

-Ford is slowly "phasing out" the falcon
-How there is not enough marketing to arrest the sales slide (ironic, eh?)
-That Ford are stupid, for implementing the EcoBoost, instead of a Diesel.
-The saving grace would be not just a wagon, but a AWD twinturbo 500kw GT-HO coupe.

And, there will be the talk of how great it will be that if Ford can the falcon, we will be able to get a F-150 for 29K
lol. That's about right mate. But I think you forgot that what will save Ford Australia is an RTV AWD Falcon Wagon Twin Turbo Diesel putting out a modest 300kw, and 1200nm of torque, all the while returning a frugal 4.1L/100km. And what's annoying them is that it wouldn't cost much to make, and they could make it, and it would sell like hotcakes... but they won't. :P

Introducing the FG Ford Falcon RTV G6ETT TDCi Estate HO-S pack Sprint X++
Old 29-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
It's not that the pages "go off" about it, it's just that the topics of that nature are full of the usual suspects with their "yippee Falcon is dead!" rubbish.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Because they overcommitted so much on the "billion dollar baby", they had no money to spend on the VF when it was due a couple of years ago.

They should have called it the "billion dollar millstone", because thats what it became when sales didn't even get close to the numbers they envisioned the VE would sell.

They are kidding themselves if they think the VF is going to sell up a storm and massively expand their numbers. At best it will increase them a little for the first 6 months and then the slide will continue. People have moved on from large sedans.

They must be stressing having committed so much money for the future when by the time it gets to release it will be selling in much smaller numbers.
Having seen the mules in the flesh earlier this year I know Holden are spending most of the money on the asthetics. The V6 powertrain will carry over with only minor changes. And therein lies the problem.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
One thought I had looking ahead is that Holden have commited massive amounts to future Commodore's as part of receiving fed government assistance now.

Would a new VF really give their sales a massive lift, or would it's next replacement do the same. Looking at the large car segment where it's mostly Commodore, Falcon, Aurion and then the rest, the total segment number has been dropping every years for a while now. Holden may actually be in the crap faster then Ford because it has already commited itself into a market which is shrinking and Ford, because of it's later model cycle has had more time to see what has been unfolding and maybe be better positioned to deal with it as a result.
That's a fair summary of what's happening.
Holden HAS rolled the dice and now committed to VF for at least 3-4 years,
Ford has decisions to make but maybe the market is telling them sooner than Holden....

There is still money to be made from large cars but they are not the big players they used to be,
the trick is keeping them attractive to buyers while not breaking the bank to do it.
Ford's ace in the hole is diesel Territory, even if fuel prices rise, Terry is kinda "drought proof"
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia is the import dumping ground of the planet, the slicing of home built the automotive pie is getting thinner here all the time, powers that be like it that way,
look in the crystal ball to 2020 will there be any home built cars to receive a hand out? i`d put a crisp $20 on the negatory.

Last edited by mik; 29-09-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT500
Lol this is exactly what I was thinking.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414
Lol this is exactly what I was thinking.
A lot of dedicated Holden buyers are on their second VE and quite rightly refuse to upgrade until the next body change,
this is going to be a long, hard slog to the VF's release next year....
Old 29-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be sad to see holden go, as they do employ alot of local people & keep alot of local companies in business.

Maybe the reason behind allowing other cars into V8 Supercars is incase there are no Commodores or Falcons in the future.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
It would be sad to see holden go, as they do employ alot of local people & keep alot of local companies in business.

Maybe the reason behind allowing other cars into V8 Supercars is incase there are no Commodores or Falcons in the future.
yes, I could see how having no cars to race would effect income and TV ratings........
Old 29-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know and when they had 3 shifts it was 740 cars a day ,work ya *** off,get yelled at.factory yard was so full and you think to yourself where the hell all these cars going to be used!! we were even parking them in the mud to find room.

I can tell you first had how holdens works, back in the 80s when the german's ran it was sweet but now the yanks are running it too the ground .

Making contracts with china 2.4 commodore ect. or how they lost the pontiac contact to mexico because it cheaper labour for GM, had contact with saudi arabia also. Put people on then sacked em all and ruined there lives.

I can also tell you why they are self insured, work outside workcover, oh some stories there.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is Holden about where Ford was at the end of 2007. hoping that the new model
next year will give them the bump in sales desperately needed to stay viable?

Well as bad as I like to dig GM management, I hope VF kicks sales along and buoys
Ford to have a red hot go with the 2014 update and at least go down swinging....
Old 29-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Having seen the mules in the flesh earlier this year I know Holden are spending most of the money on the asthetics. The V6 powertrain will carry over with only minor changes. And therein lies the problem.
There's not too many interior parts being carried over.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not a big fan of the holden product but it will be a sad day when Australian car manufacturing is dead.

I work in an industry that provides service to holdens at Elizabeth and to visit the site and see the presses idle is in itself depressing.

A company next to ours has just gone bankrupt due to Holdens need to cancel contracts for their services.

So long as cheap imports flood our market and people see owning a european/asian built car as a symbol of status there is no future for australian car manufacturing.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

The thought the most memorable thing about VE was the billion dollar blimp. I wonder what happened to the blimp in the end .
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
The thought the most memorable thing about VE was the billion dollar blimp. I wonder what happened to the blimp in the end .
That Holden Blimp used to fly over the Flemington Race Course during cup week, and the Victorian Racing Club used to get so angry about it because they didn't pay sponsorship money, and they couldn't do anything about it because they don't own the airspace above the race course .
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Is Holden about where Ford was at the end of 2007. hoping that the new model
next year will give them the bump in sales desperately needed to stay viable?

Well as bad as I like to dig GM management, I hope VF kicks sales along and buoys
Ford to have a red hot go with the 2014 update and at least go down swinging....
Judging by the fact they now no longer bother advertising Falcon I think they will go down with barely a whimper. Where did the fight go?