Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Lowering block question

Hi All,

The rear on my wagon is uneven, due to the position of the petrol, LPG tanks and the spare wheel. It's about an inch lower on the right than the left.

My question is, could I use a 1" lowering block on the left side only?

It may seem like a dumb question, but I'm not up for taking the springs out and getting them reset again. Not after my last round of dealing with Pedders. Also, blocks will cost far less, and I could do the work at home myself.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

It is a good possibility, however another cheap fix is fitting load springs. They're made by loadsman and are perfect for the height adjustments that you're chasing. They'll also help if you ever load it up for holidays, as they can be "wound" up about 5" total.

They cost about $120 for the 2. About 1/2 hour to fit yourself at home. I have got them on 2 of my leaf sprung cars and I throughly recommend them.

So there's another option for you

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Is this what you're referring to: http://caloundra4x4.com.au/loadplus.html? If not, can you provide a link please?

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Got the right site

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 24-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
It is a good possibility, however another cheap fix is fitting load springs. They're made by loadsman and are perfect for the height adjustments that you're chasing. They'll also help if you ever load it up for holidays, as they can be "wound" up about 5" total.

They cost about $120 for the 2. About 1/2 hour to fit yourself at home. I have got them on 2 of my leaf sprung cars and I throughly recommend them.

So there's another option for you
Good suggestion, except that they are not suitable for Falcon, except dedicated LPG (my guess is the foul on the fuel tank).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

I've used those Loadplus springs on a Triton and they work great for their intended purpose, but I don't see how they will help GK to lower one side by an inch.

JC, where did you get that info? The website above lists Falcons from XR to AU.

Old 25-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
I've used those Loadplus springs on a Triton and they work great for their intended purpose, but I don't see how they will help GK to lower one side by an inch.

JC, where did you get that info? The website above lists Falcons from XR to AU.
A little asterix (*) note on the website.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 25-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
lofty
Rusticating

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
A little asterix (*) note on the website.
Right you are. Didn't see that. However it does say not suitable for Falcon wagon, which is not what you wrote. Sorry to be pedantic. Doesn't help GK either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Good suggestion, except that they are not suitable for Falcon, except dedicated LPG (my guess is the foul on the fuel tank).

Old 25-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
Right you are. Didn't see that. However it does say not suitable for Falcon wagon, which is not what you wrote. Sorry to be pedantic. Doesn't help GK either way.
Oops - correct you are. The thing is, I know GK and his wagon, and what else has leaf springs these days but wagons (I know, i know - UTES!!!)

Old 25-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Oops - correct you are. The thing is, I know GK and his wagon, and what else has leaf springs these days but wagons (I know, i know - UTES!!!)
Well, in spite of the interesting discussion, I'm still not sure if I can use a 1/2 - 1" block on one side of the wagon only! LOL!

The product looks good though, and would have been worth a go before I got the leaves re-set.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 25-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

take a measurement how high you want it raised or lowererd on the particular side, go to a spring place and have them reset the springs and another leaf added , or if your willing to screw around buy an old spring pack and a new longer centre bolt and fit the extra leaf yourself, actually in the old days i think if you had saggy old springs they`d wack another leaf in then reset them as a matter of course.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
take a measurement how high you want it raised or lowererd on the particular side, go to a spring place and have them reset the springs and another leaf added , or if your willing to screw around buy an old spring pack and a new longer centre bolt and fit the extra leaf yourself, actually in the old days i think if you had saggy old springs they`d wack another leaf in then reset them as a matter of course.
Springs have been reset, with a 5th leaf added.

There's just a lot more weight on the right side with the petrol tank, spare wheel, and gas tank.

See my dilemna?

That's why I'm thinking of using one block to sure it up.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

There's just a lot more weight on the right side with the petrol tank, spare wheel, and gas tank.

See my dilemna?

GK
GK - you know how "dodgy" I am, and I wouldn't use just one block. The lowering block is installed between the leaf spring plate and the diff, effectively pushing the diff up towards the body - only doing one side means you are pushing one side of the diff up only. While it may "level" the car, the diff will actually be tilted to one side causing all sorts of handling nightmares, not to mention oil level issues, uneven tyre wear (the tyres will probably scrub on the inside left and outside right), etc. At the moment, the diff is level but the car isn't, and I'd leave the diff level to avoid any of these issues from surfacing.

Take it to back to pedders and ask them to reset the RHS to compensate for the additional weight that's always been in the car, and claim safety issue. They should come to the party and fix it up if it is in fact the spring that has been reset too far. The other issue it could be is bushes worn beyond their limits and they have collapsed on that side.

Old 26-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

They can't foul the tank. They are the same width as the leafs.

I have fitted numerous sets on numeous cars and I have never had a complaint from a customer.

I have also have a set fitted to 2 of my own cars. One of my cars had a lean to one side, due to a sagged leaf. The 2nd car, because the bum had sagged about 3".

The reason I did suggest these in the first place, is pricing. Re-setting leafs. $200 to $300? Load springs $100 - $150? Plus there's the added benefit of being able to load a car up in the back and still have an even ride height, side to side, front to back.

If people would like piccies of them fitted, I'd be more than happy to do so.

Old 26-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
They can't foul the tank. They are the same width as the leafs.

I have fitted numerous sets on numeous cars and I have never had a complaint from a customer.

I have also have a set fitted to 2 of my own cars. One of my cars had a lean to one side, due to a sagged leaf. The 2nd car, because the bum had sagged about 3".

The reason I did suggest these in the first place, is pricing. Re-setting leafs. $200 to $300? Load springs $100 - $150? Plus there's the added benefit of being able to load a car up in the back and still have an even ride height, side to side, front to back.

If people would like piccies of them fitted, I'd be more than happy to do so.
Sounds like this is the way to go, GK, if Pedders don't correct the sag.

Old 26-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Point well taken JC.

As for getting the height rectified.
I've gone back once, under the new owners, and they've said that there's no adjustment to be had. Can't exactly remember why, buy he did show me on the springs themselves.

Also, after my brake problems, I don't intend going back to that Pedders store again, unless the owners change hands. I simply do not have confidence in the work of that store.

To compound the issue, the leaves were done almost 2 years ago, by the previous owners. If you remember, that even back then it took a third go to get it "right". The first they really "pimped my ride", the second was still too low and sagged lots under family trip load, the third time I added a 5th leaf.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had my leaf's reset last September, 3.5-4 inch's lower. Added in some nolly bush's. Mine does sit slightly out, crawled under and found a torn shockie bush on the side the car looked lower.

AZZA
Old 26-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza11
Had my leaf's reset last September, 3.5-4 inch's lower. Added in some nolly bush's. Mine does sit slightly out, crawled under and found a torn shockie bush on the side the car looked lower.

AZZA
Cheers Azza!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

See my dilemna?

GK
i think they could have done a better job on the reset, this is horse and cart technology, if they can`t get the reset right , maybe take it elsewhere.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #20
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would if i were you get the leafs reset as this way it keeps everything else just as it should be.

I had my leafs reset about 12months ago at pedders Frankston. I wasn't that happy as i had wanted it a bit lower than it was. I had taken the springs out and given them to the guys down there along with a second set (to steal a leaf to go 5 rather than 4) now they reset them as best they could. However becuase they were adding a leaf it would change the hole set up of the springs as they would be stiffer (not as much sag) so it was pretty much a guessing game. Then a couple of months ago (whilst getting new shockers i decided to get the reset again.

I wasn't charged for the resetting the second time. When i asked why i was told that 'it is not an exact science and it is part of the service from the original reset.' So all i can say is leafs are far from easy to get correct and unfourtunately your local pedders appears to have lost your business (their loss someone elses gain).

Just would like to add here that if you are around the frankston area or anywhere nearby i can not reccommend pedders (frankston) highly enough.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

I'm glad you're happy with their service Rhys. You are correct in saying that they've lost my business. Like I said in the earlier post, perhaps when they change hands, or I guess if I need suspension work done again, I could try another Pedders!

I'll just put up with it I reckon.

I've also noticed that the difference is greater with more petrol in the tank. Currently there's 3/4 of a tank, so once it's down nearer to the 1/4, the gap difference will be less pronounced.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG