Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Defensive drivers course...

Hi all, I have just picked up my daughter from her driver training theory course. It has just hit me that within 3 months my 16 year old daughter will have her drivers license. I thought that I would ask everyone here what defensive drivers courses are considered the bench mark for young drivers. We are in the NT but travel is not a problem. I would love to hear from any body that has done one of these courses. I think that every driver should do some kind of advanced training.....

Cheers, all.

Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I've done both the Jim Murcott and John Bowe DD courses. Both were very similar and either would be a fantastic idea. I've lost count the amount of times the knowledge has saved me from anything from a bad hit to being killed outright.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
crannersEL
Banned

With Mum and Dads insurance AAMI i get a free days defensive drivers course, im just waiting untill i have the time to do it. Dads all for it stating that what i learn could save my life one day which is very true, i wouldn't know what to do if i went into a spin tonight.
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats involved in a DD course?

Someone's offered me a discount on an advanced driving course through my parents.. Whats the difference, and being that i'll be on my licence in a month, is it worth taking the advanced driving course (I prob will anyway, lol.. Just don't know what it involves exactly).
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Whats involved in a DD course?

Someone's offered me a discount on an advanced driving course through my parents.. Whats the difference, and being that i'll be on my licence in a month, is it worth taking the advanced driving course (I prob will anyway, lol.. Just don't know what it involves exactly).
Contact Total driver for more info on this topic, but for my 2c worth, these courses should be a pre-requisite for a licence and should be required at every 2 years thereafter.

A good DD should inform you of the posible dangers on the road, hazards that can be enconuntered and the typical thinks to be vigilent for.

In a practical sence it should teach correct observation techniques, braking, cornering and acceleration.

It is best to do this in your own car as you will learn a lot more than in someone elses, as you are not familar with it to notice subtle differences obtained by changing techniques.

A good course will educate you on the safety features used in modern cars and what they will and will NOT do in a real world environment.

PS they are also a whole lot of fun.
Old 19-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool. Well i'm planning to do this advanced course before my P's, and a DD course as soon as i'm on them as a part of my 18th pressie.

I think I have a lot more 'common sense' than other drivers my age, and been around motorbikes and cars all my life (plus having dad, who's a great driver) i've learnt long ago about braking, cornering etc.. what to and what not to do. But I still think I have heaps to learn, and applying these things in a course where I can actually drive and see how it all works seems a good idea to me.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Had a good look at the Jim Murcott courses ... and there are many ... even towing courses as well (BLOODY GOOD IDEA)

I just need to find the time to do it ... I also enquired if i can load the ute up and take it to the course .... and they said that is fine as long as the load is very secure ... so i will be doing this as i carry load very regularly for work.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

i'm interested in doing one as well.

I'd like to do an Advanced driver training course, i'm in the Sunshine Coast area.

can anyone suggest a good place to do one and give me an estimate on the cost?

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
turboute
turboute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
With Mum and Dads insurance AAMI i get a free days defensive drivers course, im just waiting untill i have the time to do it. Dads all for it stating that what i learn could save my life one day which is very true, i wouldn't know what to do if i went into a spin tonight.
I have heard that these courses that are run by AAMI are next to useless, no how to control powerslides, knowledge of oversteer / understeer is taught, no limit braking lessons etc. It is more of a 'dont speed' lesson.

It was a while back that this was posted on either these forums or performance forums so it may have changed. Apparently the guy who went asked about limit braking and the instructor didn't even know what it meant. They were just told to push the brake pedal as hard as possible (going into a skid is not the quickest way to stop a car - it also will not let the driver be able to turn a car either).
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Steve D
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I also enquired if i can load the ute up and take it to the course .... and they said that is fine as long as the load is very secure ... so i will be doing this as i carry load very regularly for work.
When I did it (Murcott's) one of my group was a tradie with a totally loaded VS ute, full in the back with a ladder securely mounted to the roof. It was fine, and was probably a good vehicle to learn on. Getting on, big, heavy, ute suspension, no ABS. Probably gave him the best learning experience.

While you're doing your first session in the 'classroom' the other instructors actually check out your vehicles...and then walk back in with assorted club locks and other missiles...

There was another thread extolling the virtues of these courses, if anyone's prepared to dig it up...
*** Wheels magazine COTY 1996 ***
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
i'm interested in doing one as well.

I'd like to do an Advanced driver training course, i'm in the Sunshine Coast area.

can anyone suggest a good place to do one and give me an estimate on the cost?
Check out Roadcraft Driver Education

They offer excellent courses and will be hosting the XR6 & XR8 Club of Qld Skid Pan Weekend in June.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post