Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Default Windows Down or A/C on? Which uses less fuel?

Windows down creates more drag on the car, so uses more fuel, yeah?
A/C makes the engine work harder using more fuel, right?

Which uses less fuel?

Does having the A/C fan at a lower setting use less fuel?

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I don't care ... I go for comfort.
There have been numerous tests on this ... it depends on the heat of the day ... speed travelled ... distance travelled ... wind direction ... engine RPM ... Fan speed ... if A/C was running at optimal temps and if it was on MAX or not.

Seriously ... around town ... there wouldn't be much difference at all ... it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

I like to drive with the windows down ... but if it gets a bit too warm ... windows up and A/C on for me.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they did that one on Mythbusters .............. AC on is way worse.

1973 Vivid Blue Pearl XB Coupe

Engine Build up and progress thread

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
BlueKoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Apparently windows down uses more fuel once you get about 90ish kmph. Anything less and the extra wind resistance is less than the extra strain from the A/C.

If it's not too hot and I'm traveling around 50 or 60 - I'll leave the A/C off and the windows down.

Mainly for throttle response reasons though.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

When at WOT though A/C shuts off in Falcons/Territories until throttle response is reduced anyway.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I don't care, if it's hot the a/c is on at what ever speed i'm doing. Really with the new cars these days you don't really use all that much more fuel or loose that much power.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i like to drive with my window down around other traffic so i can see better (tinted windows) and so i can hear whats going on around me but the a/c is always on
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
347Stroker
Banned

Always A/C on, never know the difference in power, and I like to be comfortable...
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #9
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they did this on mythbusters and A/C on uses less fuel.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #10
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKoop
they did that one on Mythbusters .............. AC on is way worse.
no mate, it was the other way round and it was only a couple of mills of a litre difference.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

The difference was very small.

So if ya switch ya AC off to save fuel, you are wasting your time!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #12
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
no mate, it was the other way round and it was only a couple of mills of a litre difference.

Mythbusters should have tryed my XR8 I lose 200 klm off dte when the air con is on when travelling on a hiway ,but comfort is the go so I like to keep mine on even if the windows down a bit
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My experience is that A/C uses a lot more fuel - dosn't stop me from having it on most of the time though. Although you don't notice the power loss in a car like the Falcon, whenever I borrow my fiances Corolla and you turn the A/C on its like you suddenly pull on the handbrake, very sloooowww.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:57 AM   #14
big_waity
Windsor Man!

I honestly think it doesnt matter enough to make someone change their mind. The problem with the mythbuster test was that they had the AC on full blast the whole time, to the point where the dude driving had a massive jacket on. In reality, you would just have it cold enough to be comfy.

My dad did a basic experiment in his AU. on a 300k each way journey, he fueled up, drove there with the windows down, fueled up, drove home with the AC on and then fueled up. It cost him 50 cents more with the windows down. Honestly not enough to matter.

I go for whatever is comfy. If you are that worried about fuel consumption, by an Echo.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I like having the window down so i can put my arm somewhere, not hanging out like an idiot, just resting it on the sill. Might help if the XF's air conditioning would work too!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
I honestly think it doesnt matter enough to make someone change their mind. The problem with the mythbuster test was that they had the AC on full blast the whole time, to the point where the dude driving had a massive jacket on. In reality, you would just have it cold enough to be comfy.
I dont think there would be any difference between having a/c on high or low, unless cars had inverter type a/c (i.e. variable rate compressors).?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #17
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I dont think there would be any difference between having a/c on high or low, unless cars had inverter type a/c (i.e. variable rate compressors).?
Really? I would have thought that blasting the crap out of the AC would work it harder, thus draining more power. I don't know a whole lot about AC, so I'm just guessing.

Either way, I still dont think it effects fuel economy enough to worry.

Oh, another thing to take into account. One thing I DO know about AC compressors is that they need to be run in order to prevent them from seizing. Not using your AC in winter because it is cold is a bad idea. I often didnt use the AC in my bluebird because I was pretty convinced it drained all 32kw from the bad boy. On a stupidly hot day I put it on full bore and it had seized up from not being used. Since then, I have run mine almost all the time.

I often run the AC with the windows down. I especially love doing it when I'm cruising on a cold night. AC on, full heat, pointed at the feet, it's so neat!

Sorry, couldn't help rhyming there.... :
Old 09-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #18
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
When at WOT though A/C shuts off in Falcons/Territories until throttle response is reduced anyway.
This is obviously why my A/C never feels like it's working!!
Seroiusly though, at anything below about 30-32 degrees I usually have the windows down (front 2 only as the booster seat starts to fly around the cabin with all 4 down), love the sound of a V8 under load. Over these temps, or if the missus is on board, A/C is always on.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #19
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
did you watch the second part of the episode when they did the real life test not the computer test ...... the car with the windows down did 30 more laps than the car with the ac on...... MYTHBUSTED!!! lol

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #20
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKoop
did you watch the second part of the episode when they did the real life test not the computer test ...... the car with the windows down did 30 more laps than the car with the ac on...... MYTHBUSTED!!! lol
I must of mist that part.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #21
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah they decided the computer test was not good enough because it based it on the air fuel ratio in ideal circumstances.

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #22
Simmo
White Lightning

yeh i much prefer to put the windows down and listen to my car. plus its only a 6 so AC off is like a turbo boost.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #23
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

A few years back I read somewhere that the most efficient combination is;
Under 80 km/h - A/C off windows open
Over 80 km/h - A/C on windows closed

But A/C systems have become a lot more efficient over the years, so I doubt that anyone would notice huge differences.

I have tried both in my Territory; when it was new I could see the difference by way of the trip computer, but with 25,000km on the clock the fuel usage is virtually the same with A/C on or off.

MythBusters: Mythbusters Revisited
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #24
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a very rough comparison a few weeks back. I had a BA Falcon hire car and a 3.5 hour drive across south western Victoria. It was a beautiful afternoon with no wind, no cloud and a lovely 26 degrees. On the flat straight roads to Portland I travelled, I had the driver's window down and noted that the average was 8.4 L/100km over about 10kms. I then wound the window up, turned the a/c on and travelled the next 10km. The average was 8.9L/100km.

I did it again the next day on my return to Geelong, when the temperature was well into the 30's, the window down average was 8.6L/100km and the window up + A/C was 9.1L/100km.

Ok, it wasn't the most robust of tests. Another thing I noted was at 100km/h speed I was travelling at, there was hardly any buffeting from having the window down.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #25
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Uses less with aircon running.

In recycle though the difference is definitely noticeable uses much more go juice.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #26
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

bahh you sissies, real men but the heater and the windows up when they want to go fast and save fuel.

But jokes aside, i think factors such as having an extra passenger in the car or running with a low tyre pressure would have a similiar influence on fuel economy as having the aircon on or off.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Who cares? If you've got airconditioning use it when you want. It's also great for defrosting in winter or removing steamed up windows, just use it with the heater on.

I was out Saturday in the old 400 cube Galaxie, 34 degrees, doing 70 mph with ice cold airconditioning, stuff putting a window down for a gnats tear worth of juice...
Old 09-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

Well, my car has no gas in the a/c so that only blows hot, so I rely on the windows.

I won't be keeping it long enough to care as the heater works and colder times are on their way, but let me tell you, I'd 100% rather have a/c then save a bit of fuel and have the windows open.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #29
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Maybe if you've got a clean run at 100km/h for a while then having the air con might be fine but if you're stuck in heavy traffic and you have it on, it should be a big negative difference, right? But it's probably better than having the heat from the engine bay next to you coming in open windows, including the smells!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #30
Ben083GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Maybe if you've got a clean run at 100km/h for a while then having the air con might be fine but if you're stuck in heavy traffic and you have it on, it should be a big negative difference, right? But it's probably better than having the heat from the engine bay next to you coming in open windows, including the smells!
True, in heavy traffic the heat from the car when the windows are down at times can be pretty hot, so il tend to go AC. When not in heavy traffic, the windows down for sure.
---- 162rw/kw ----
Ben083GC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post