Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What do you think about Falcon Wagon & Territory?
They are two completely different vehicles & offer completely different things - Keep them BOTH 107 71.33%
The Falcon Wagon would be best consigned to history - Get rid of it 34 22.67%
Not a fan of either the Territory, the Wagon, or this topic - so don't really care 9 6.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Default Territory - Falcon's Friend??? or Foe???

I realise that this topic may become somewhat heated between opposing parties - so let's keep these discussion purely objective & see how things go.
Unquestionably the Territory has been a revolutionary design that has taken FoA into previously uncharted waters, and has been heralded by many as being the best thing Ford has released in Aus since the Falcon. It has also gone some ways to addressing the issues of FoA being viewed as, to quote Tom Gorman himself "The Falcon Car Company". But HAS this success been at the expense of the Falcon, and could this ultimately lead to further production cutbacks?
The Territory is looked at by many(read salesmen & the family based consumer) as an attractive alternative to the LWB Falcon wagon offering. For the salesmen / tradesmen the current wagon platform is quickly becoming less of a real choice due to changes in the design - compromises in workload carrying capacities in the wagon / lack of roofracks / lack of internal shelving options.
With the recent demise of Fairlane from FoA's lineup, and this lessening of demand for the wagon, I wonder how long it will be before the LWB production line ceases production entirely - resulting in no more Falcon station wagons, and the closure of another Ford Production facility in Australia.
This brings me to the main point of this thread.
Are the Falcon wagon & the Territory happily coexisting in FoA's lineup? or would they be better off putting all their eggs in the one basket by removing the Falcon wagon from the lineup & directing salesmen / light duties Tradies to the Territory??

wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Hmm why cant people who need a wagon use the ute, with a canopy or something? The plant will not shut as long as the territory and then falcon are selling in some way or another, who cares what the mix is.

FoA would probably be making more money off Territory's anyway, I assume its mainly fleets buying wagons?

In the grand scheme of things the LWB and wagon markets are pretty small. But apparently the wagon sells well enough for it to live on.

IMO it would be a mistake to downgrade the Territory to do the wagons duties.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
stang65
FPRJET

I read somewhere that the falcon station wagon was still very much in demand (business I beleive) as well as some people may not want an suv for whatever reason. It would also be more economical than the terry for servicing.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

I know we chose to go with the Territory for our fleet when it was released at the expense of the Falcon wagon. It has suited our sales team perfectly.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you ask people in the know, they swear black and blue that Territory saved FoA's backside. If there was no territory then falcon sales alone wouldn't keep ford's australian manufacturing operations financially viable.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Considering the highest selling model of the Territory range is the Ghia, and sold mostly to private buyers, its a big cash cow for Ford with an excellent profit margin.

I think they compliment each other nicely, as if ones down the other can suppliment for it, and brings in a different type of buyer who wouldn't otherwise buy Ford. Also being able to share technologies across 2 vehicles is smart. I'd hate to see how much of a hole Ford would be in if there was no Territory.

By the way, the wagon still sells quite well to fleets, hence Fords decision to continue with it. Territory didn't kill the wagon like everyone thought.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

As said before, the Terry is more of a cash cow for Ford, and lures a different type of buyer. I think comparing Terry to Falcon Wagon is like comparing Falcon Ute to the Ford Courier/Ranger, similar concept but different (if only slightly at either end of the scale) buyers.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Nashy86

Territory was supposed to replace the wagon, its mainly fleets that are keeping the wagon alive.

As Polyal said if wagon does go it means very little in terms of production, just change the mix of models being built and keep going
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

i doubt they would get rid of the wagon, they both have 2 very very different markets as has been discussed before.

also, if they get rid of the wagon, what are we going to build hearses out of? (95% of the funeral industry use falcon wagons)

what will telstra ppl drive???

what will the department of defense drive?

what wil TRU energy drive???
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Good question...

...here is one more...

...Will the Turbo 6 be the end of the V8?

But yeah, wagon and softroader are different things.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory has allowed development of technologies which would never have been able to justify at HO otherwise. Some of these like the steering system are likely to make it into Orion.
It has also taken the Ford more upmarket where shoppers now compare with quality Euro product not just Toyota or the Red Lion.
The Falcon wagon is a very handy product, especially in Egas form, it will be destined to be a workhorse family truckster from now on though. It definately has a place alongside ute and hopefully panelvan oneday. This should be especially true now VE ute will be a box only sedan based el camino and sportswagon instead of real wagon.

This would remain true even if Ford released a Territory based dual cab ute.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTonka
This would remain true even if Ford released a Territory based dual cab ute.
Territory Dual Cab : :eclipsee_
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Territory is great, ive had both Falcons and Territories, and gone back to a Falcon ute this time, next time who knows, probarly another Holden for me sadly due to a lack of commitment from Ford / FPV with regard to build quality.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Territory is great, ive had both Falcons and Territories, and gone back to a Falcon ute this time, next time who knows, probarly another Holden for me sadly due to a lack of commitment from Ford / FPV with regard to build quality.
So we will see you back in a Ford after that. I would hold off and wait for the new offering before switching camps. VE is marginally better than a BF.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

We just got a tonne of LPG Falcon wagons at work so there is still a market
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #16
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

In 2004 I was initially going to buy a Ford XR6T Ute, to replace my 1993 model Ute. I saw an Mandarin coloured Territory (apologies to anyone with one) and though my god what an amazing looking car and how ugly. . I had momentarily considered a station wagon type vehicle, but the Ute won hands down. While speaking to the lady that sells you lots of nice products (nice for the stealer) I looked and looked and then said I wanted a test drive, and off I went and the Ute contract was torn up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
The Territory is looked at by many (read salesmen & the family based consumer) as an attractive alternative to the LWB Falcon wagon offering.
I am neither a salesman, nor a family man, and the back seat and front passenger seat have had very little occupancy. Being used to a Ute the Territory has done everything I have wanted and more.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
Falcon Freak
Banned

The concern is that now the Fairlane/LTD is dead then there is a serious doubt about the future of the wagon model as it shares the same wheelbase as the LWD models. The septics in the parent company may not approve funding for both a Territory and Falcon wagon model saying the former replaces the later.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #18
andrewts
White Car Driver

I say keep them both. As a tradesmen (if I were one, that is) I wouldn't want to spend all the nice money on a nice big car to ruin it by putting paint buckets and stuff in the back of it. I'd rather buy a cheaper, faster, possibly roomier (as far as sticking stuff in the back goes) and more fuel efficient Wagon.

By the same token, as a family man (if I were one, that is) I would prefer the space, luxury and safety of a Territory for my family.

The Wagon is definitely an essential tool for any worker, whereas I don't think big, more expensive and overly nice soft-roaders fit the criteria. I think they are more suited to big families, or small families with lots of junk they like to carry with them. The Wagon can fill this niche, but the Territory does it a lot better.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #19
AussieJason

Keep them both. They are both great cars that compliment each other nicely, and can continue to use each others technology as new models are developed.

As long as it is getting customers behind the wheel of a blue oval, then I am happy as the Falcon will continue as long as there is a Territory.

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
AussieJason is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #20
dan.76
always reading posts

i bought a territory instead of a wagon , because it had more clearance and handled better on dirt roads.
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't really like the looks of the territory but still if I were in the market for a wagon I'd go for the territory in a heart beat.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #22
Nickxb
XB in progress

Keep the terry, if it sells then there is obviously a market for it. Keep the wagon as well, again if there is the market for it why would ford stop making it.
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 totally different vehicles with some similarities and allot of differences in terms of versitility and use.. both are pretty much mutually exclusive...

Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I would certainly keep both. Both cars have unique qualities that would make side by side production viable (at the moment anyway).

The importance of high volumes of Falcon and Territory are also becoming less important to Ford AUS's long term future now, which is great!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #25
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id be happy for the wagon to leave for a few models if its not making ford money
but dont cull it all together, the territory is a different car, different purpose different intended use.

soft roader/people mover and bigger family car are different

the terri looks better though id love one

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont believe sales would transfer over to the Territory if the wagon was axed, the Teri load space isnt as big for starters, the wagon is the mainstay of reps for most bigger companies, id say 95% of them would end up in holden wagons as a result if the Falcon wagon no longer existed..

Old 05-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #27
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Hmm why cant people who need a wagon use the ute, with a canopy or something?
Some people want 5 seats.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #28
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

^^ And the rear doors make it easier to access stuff at the front of the cargo area,particulary if the seats are down.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #29
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

Default Then to a MAGNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I dont believe sales would transfer over to the Territory if the wagon was axed, the Teri load space isnt as big for starters, the wagon is the mainstay of reps for most bigger companies, id say 95% of them would end up in holden wagons as a result if the Falcon wagon no longer existed..

Holden aint making a wagon either, so where would everyone go then? MAGNA?

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The territory would have taken alot of sales from the wagon (probably what will kill it off), and a few from the Falcon. But it's done more good then bad.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post