Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Default Another speeding fine thread

Hi guys,

any advice would be welcome. My brother just called me up saying he was fined for doing 84kms in a 60 zone. He was mighty unimpressed and said he was sitting at the speed limit. The police officer was on a bike at the side of the road. My brother reckons he was coming from around a corner and there were also other cars in front. My brother told the cop that he was not speeding, and they went on to say "so why were other cars passing you"? What the hell? doesn't that imply my brother was going slower then other cars? Anyway, he's not keen on paying for $250 if he wasn't speeding. What to do really? How can you convince a court you wern't speeding?

Paul

FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

You cant, unless you can. I hope that helped.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He might be able to fight it and get his money back, but even if he does, he won't get his points back.

I don't have authority issues, but I do have issues with the fact that we have to cop on the chin something that we have no chance of defending.

How the freakin hell can any of us prove a cop was wrong?
David See is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Well it depends really.

There will have to be money well spent on a good lawyer if he wants to win.

No idea why the cop pulled him over if other cars were overtaking him.

That statement right there would really help in court. The question is whether the officer will lie about it or not.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its all conspiracy's i tell you
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
VSSII

I didn't do it!! He'll get his point back if he is found not guilty. The RTA chose to enforce this in NSW because as everyone who reads the papers and watches ACA knows, our Magistrates just have no idea. The RTA did something about it.
Do bikes even have RADAR in QLD??? If it was a LIDAR gun those those things are idiot proof. Just point and shoot. It's impossible to get a false reading unfortunately!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
mr scotto
mk 1 capri

o yes,police bikes do have radars in there panniers.unless there was a passenger in the car or you could get a statement of one of the drivers that past him i recon your brothers got no chance of beating the fine.
mr scotto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
protd
TUFF FORDS

i know in qld motorcycle cops record there convisations while booking you, a solicitor could ask for that tape to be produced and if that comment by your brother about not speeding and then the cops reply about him being passed by other cars is true there will be a recording on the tape, and well your brothers home free..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Dimi_Ghia
Yeah it's a V8 mate.

I was told by an ex Federal Cop that the best things to have with you in a car is a camera and a voice recorder (most new mobiles have either one or both). He said that when you get pulled over just start recording the conversation as you never know when you might need to defend yourself.

2016 LZ FOCUS TREND SEDAN IN CANDY RED
Dimi_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Thanks for all the info guys. It just seems way too hard doesn't it? Are these guns able to store more then one speeding motorist at a time? Ie, do they have a memory?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Interesting that they could get him if he was coming around the corner towards a stationary cop on the side of the road with other cars infront of your brother. How were they able to single him out and how were they able to get an accurate reading of his speed if there wasnt much time to 'follow' him with the radar to record it? (does that make sense when anyone else reads that?!?!) It is going to be hard to prove, because it seems as if he is guilty until proven innocent, which is much harder to argue.

I'll just look up a few things and hopefully be able to post something a little helpful...

Last edited by GCFordChic; 06-08-2006 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an associate that beat a fine but could not get his points back. He was told there is no power above the RTA when it comes to things like this. They just don't care and the cost for him to fight the RTA would have been enourmous.

The RTA will NOT give his/her points back.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by David See
I have an associate that beat a fine but could not get his points back. He was told there is no power above the RTA when it comes to things like this. They just don't care and the cost for him to fight the RTA would have been enourmous.

The RTA will NOT give his/her points back.
It's more the money that's the problem. Plenty of points to spare, since he is 28 and never been fined before. However, the money, and the fact that he wasn't speeding is a joke.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #14
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
Interesting that they could get him if he was coming around the corner towards a stationary cop on the side of the road with other cars infront of your brother. How were they able to single him out and how were they able to get an accurate reading of his speed if there wasnt much time to 'follow' him with the radar to record it? (does that make sense when anyone else reads that?!?!) It is going to be hard to prove, because it seems as if he is guilty until proven innocent, which is much harder to argue.

I'll just look up a few things and hopefully be able to post something a little helpful...
Okay, well any advice would be good I guess.Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Tell your brother to gather evidence, go to court and have his day with a magistrate.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get him to go see a solitcitor, the internet isn't the place to get advice about this sort of stuff.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #17
85zl
Starter Motor

Please note that this advice is from a lot of NSW speeding fine experience, and yes I do win.

LIDAR stands for Laser Indicated Direction And Range.

Lidar is a laser based "range finder" direction is not shown, range is. So technically they don't do what they are called.

Lidars are generally Idiot proof, however there is an Australian Standard (yes you can buy this from Standards Australia, there are two parts) that ALL Australian police are signatories to IE will abide by. This will give you some clues how to get around them.

I personally have a very big DOUBT as to the officers accuracy with one of these, basically they have to 'hit' the number plate at 100-600m at speed, yes the cops do have shooting practice but not at MOVING targets at speed.

If you take it to court look at/do the following;
attack the man not the machine.
get a map of the area, not the street directory, go to the dept of lands and get an Orthophoto map, these are massive about 1200mm x 1000mm and I think about $50. Its an aerial photo with contours overlaid on it. It seems to give you some points with the magistrate.

Do your research you cannot have enough

Take lots of pics, an SL/R with interchangeable lenses is the best, you can alter the 'depth' in the pics.

With all of these you can then attack the man.
Speed by definition is distance/time=km/h
60km/h = 16.66667 m/second
84km/h = 23.33333 m/sec

Ask the copper to estimate 20m or any other distance you like, be aware the longer the distance the greater the inaccuracy but not out of the court room. Take a big tape measure.

Ask the copper to estimate time, about 20 seconds does the trick, while outside influences are distracting him, like in the real world.
Any error starts to open up your defense.

The copper is to assess the validity of the lidar reading, before pulling you over, in case of error. Therefore you have proved the operator cannot tell distance and time which in turn shows the copper cannot asses speed.

Use the map;
ask the copper where he first saw you, there is an observation period of three (3) seconds
ask the copper where he started and stopped 'painting' you
again his indicated points on the map should show something very different to his reports

Me clocked speed 120km/h+ in court indicated speed of 24km/h in the other direction.
that copper was transfered and demoted. His partner, yes there was two of them, gave a conflicting view, the Judge stated in court, he had grave doubts about the evidence given.

Was I doing 120km/h, well thats is not going to be said here.

I hope that this is of help.

It is also possible to get off parking, no left turn, red lights etc. all with a bit of research.
85zl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very interesting and thank you so much for the input. Us "plebs" are rarely "taught" how to defend ourselves properly as we just assume there are never any tools to help us: The cops must always be "right", because, let's face it, they're "cops".

I would request a couple of things:

(1) Would you please elaborate on the details of using the map

(2) I would like to know how to get off a fine (in my case an illegal right hand turn - your closing line pricked my ears up) if you have already admitted you did it to the cop who stopped you and sent away the payment for processing. Payment means you have accepted the guilt I guess?

Thanks again for your input and taking the time to add some amazing value to this thread.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #19
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In addition, what about your points...do you get them back as well?

I heard it is impossible to get them back.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #20
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FordACE, with respect, I think it is ALL about the points - because (even though the loss of money is not good) we have limited points and the ones you lose stay with you for three years.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #21
GT-E

85zl has some very good info.
For anyone that thinks LIDAR (Laser) is idiot proof, there is heaps of evidence about operator errors.
If the cop was not using a tripod or mono pod, you have a VERY good chance of getting off, so long as you do some research.
Panning errors can make a +/- 15% difference in the recorded speed.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS - the term "Lidar" makes me laugh, too. So relevant.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #23
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is an extract from "Highway Robbery" that relates to the points not being reinstated and the fact that the RTA will fight tooth and nail to prevent you from getting them back:

"On A Current Affair on 17 June 2005, it was shown that even if I had committed to spending a budget of $50,000 (required to ensure a win), for taking the matter through the court system, that I would not receive my points back, the very reason for going to court and spending the money. Also, the judge can make a decision as to how much of the $50,000 I receive back.

In addition it is the word of a police officer who has an incentive to lie, there are onus operator offences where rather than the government having to prove guilt, you are deemed guilty and have to prove innocence when at times this is just not possible. There are cases where people who have proved they were out of the country at the time, cannot prove their innocence. Others are forced to prove that they can't see through solid objects to see hidden and concealed speed limit signs. Others prove their case only to be found guilty anyway due to rules of evidence or a minor lack of knowledge of the legal system.

Furthermore, there are difficulties in obtaining documentation and the admissibility of evidence. NSW Police commonly withhold documentation. I submitted a request for "all manual relating to the radar used" and received one, only after much delay and after reviews by two higher authorities. At least 4 manuals were not handed over. One because, even though it appeared in Hansard and I had a fax from the State Library confirming its existence and both The Australian Law Society and Australian Bar Association had a copy, I was told it did not exist.

In the case of Peter Conridge, he requested the manuals relating to a Lidar. He received an Occupational Health and Safety manual. In his next request, he received a revised copy of the Lidar manual that did not have the precautions and warning section. It was not until a third attempt that he was able to obtain the manual. And it proved that the police had broken their own guidelines, ie. guidelines that ensure the reliability of the instrument's reading.

Even in rare instances when innocent motorists do win their cases, the RTA pursues them to the Supreme Court. The Daily Telegraph 12 August 2005 reported how even though Peter Nicholls had won his case against a faulty Hunter Valley speed camera, he had been summonsed to appear in the Supreme Court. Furthermore, the newspaper states "The RTA is spending thousands of dollars fighting other borderline speeding fines knowing that motorists will just give up the fight in the face of mounting costs and time."

So, even if you spend THOUSANDS fighting the fine and WIN, you WILL NOT get your points back. Even if proven innocent.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #24
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, for some reason the post went in twice.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #25
Jet-Star

What a crock, just another cop on a power trip. Oh and have any of you's used a radar gun before? I have and its not that hard to keep it on a car if they are coming/going straight towards/away from you but its a real pain to try keep it on a moving target side on as the camera's don't have enough weight and are the wrong shape for swinging it smoothly like that...I would probably have a bit of advantage over your average cop using one of these too as I shoot skeet every weekend & ducks in season..I seriously doubt alot of these officiers ability with these devices..Its not easy.

My advice to your bro is do what's cheepest.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #26
Disco1986

or maybe you bro was speeding and he lies! or yes maybe a cop wanted to get a random person for somthing they didnt do! Personally i dont think the cop would made up stuff like that, and they dont need to thier are enough ******* on the road as it is. I guess your bro will have to move on and slow down in future
Disco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #27
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1986
or maybe you bro was speeding and he lies! or yes maybe a cop wanted to get a random person for somthing they didnt do! Personally i dont think the cop would made up stuff like that, and they dont need to thier are enough ******* on the road as it is. I guess your bro will have to move on and slow down in future
and i can't wait for the day you get fined for not speeding.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #28
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06

My advice to your bro is do what's cheepest.
It appears that is the way it will have to be. I mean, short of using more money, then I think it's pointless fighting this. $250 for not breaking the law is a joke. It's not like he doesn't have the money to pay it, but that is besides the point. I'm a poor uni student, if it was me that copped a fine I'd be spewing. Where would i pull $250 from, certainly won't be from my wallet. Anyway, until something is done about some proof on these guns, ie, maybe a picture along with the speed? then I think we are powerless to prove much.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #29
David See
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FordACE - read the entire thread:

There are ways of fighting it.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #30
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by David See
FordACE - read the entire thread:

There are ways of fighting it.
I have read the thread, and thank the people for offering their advice. Unfortunately, the way things are with people and the world, there is a significant lack of time and resources to persue such a futile and trivial matter. The government and their policies are designed to deter people from persuing these matters. Essentially, it is almost pointless being a good person in this world, you still get bitten.