Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Kronky
Broom Broom

Default Changing lanes in intersection

So last night as I was driving home from a call in from work I decided to change lanes because the person in front of me was going 5 under. Without thinking about it I did so in an intersection and the camera which was there flashed. I looked at my speedo and was doing 65 in a 70 zone, and then looked behind me and saw another car go through so I'm 90% sure it wasn't a red. Has anyone ever been booked for changing lanes in an intersection? I called my cop mate and he says it is illegal technically, but that I'd be very unlucky to be done by it. Very worried as I'm a little low on points...

Old 19-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Changing lanes in intersection

I would say the person hi-beamed you for cutting around them
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could a camera even catch you for doing that?

I can't stand idiots who enter the intersection in lane 1 and on the other side they are in lane 2 because they don't know what they are doing.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
no, but paranoia is alive and well!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
psychoticgroove
SRT

Speed cameras are activated when one exceeds the speed limit but thats only applicable when you enter the cone of vision of the camera already doing excessive speed. If you are in the camera's vision already and then speed up, it won't be activated.
Given that you were already in the middle of the intersection before you decided to speed up to overtake, it'd be a very rare chance and you'd be very unlucky to cop a fine.

His- 2014 Jeep GC SRT
Her- 2012 Territory TS TDCI
psychoticgroove is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

Certainly is!!!

Its called a "red light camera" for a reason.... otherwise it would be called a "illegal lane changer camera".

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well yes paranoia is alive and well becasue we live in melbourne and thats how the powers at be make us feel most of the time ...

I doubt that you were flashed for that

Plan B. Put the car under your grandmothers name, now everytime you get a fine fill in her details and she will lose the points

I will add that a friend of mine does this and his grandmother doesnt even have a licence, as long as the fine is paid they dont check if you have a licence

How is that for revenue raising ....

And you thought the government were legid
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Certainly is!!!

Its called a "red light camera" for a reason.... otherwise it would be called a "illegal lane changer camera".
Or Safety Camera

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam
Plan B. Put the car under your grandmothers name, now everytime you get a fine fill in her details and she will lose the points

I will add that a friend of mine does this and his grandmother doesnt even have a licence, as long as the fine is paid they dont check if you have a licence
sorry, i find that very difficult to believe.
Old 20-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
well yes paranoia is alive and well becasue we live in melbourne and thats how the powers at be make us feel most of the time ...

And my car was the secret turbo 6 GTHO prototype.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

what happens when they try to take points off her license? do they just treat it like out-of-state and just happy to get the money?
Old 20-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
kinksta
Luxojet

You wouldn't have got flashed for it, but it is illegal to change lanes in an intersection, well it is here in SA.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Kronky
Broom Broom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

I can't stand idiots who enter the intersection in lane 1 and on the other side they are in lane 2 because they don't know what they are doing.
I changed lane in an intersection. Hardly not knowing what I was doing. I just got frustrated with the car in front of me doing 5 under in the right hand lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike GT
I would say the person hi-beamed you for cutting around them
I never cut around them. I just changed lanes and was next to them. So there was definitely no high beaming. Was a definite double flash from the camera.

Quote:
as I said definitely a double flash from the camera. if i don't get a ticket great. but doesnt change the fact that the camera flashed me. I was just asking if anyone had been booked for changing lanes in an intersection
Old 20-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronky
as I said definitely a double flash from the camera. if i don't get a ticket great. but doesnt change the fact that the camera flashed me.
correction, the camera flashed. if you weren't speeding and the light was green, there's a very good chance it wasn't flashing you!

could've been someone speeding in the other direction or a myriad of other possibilities. i even think the camera's flash randomly operates from time to time as some sort of calibration.

it isn't illegal to travel a bit below the limit.

next time, have a bit more patience and wait 5 more seconds.
Old 20-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Kronky
Broom Broom

Quote:
correction, the camera flashed. if you weren't speeding and the light was green, there's a very good chance it wasn't flashing you!

could've been someone speeding in the other direction or a myriad of other possibilities. i even think the camera's flash randomly operates from time to time as some sort of calibration.

it isn't illegal to travel a bit below the limit.

next time, have a bit more patience and wait 5 more seconds.
true it may not have been flashing me. cant have been anyone else in my direction, but cant guarantee the other direction. though the camera was facing my direction not theirs

in a 70 zone no it isn't illegal. in an 80 zone it is illegal to sit in the right lane unless overtaking or congested. there is also just common courtesy which i was taught when first driving not to sit in the right lane

as for the have patience comment, i had been patient and sat behind him for quite a while. it was just poor choice of timing because i didnt know it was illegal
Old 20-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronky
in a 70 zone no it isn't illegal. in an 80 zone it is illegal to sit in the right lane unless overtaking or congested.
nope, changes to the road rules mean its now illegal to sit in the right hand lane in zones above 80km/h unless signposted.

it is still courteous to keep left though.
Old 20-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it hard to beleive but true ....

As long as the fine is paid thats all they care about

If my mate wasnt getting away with it for the last 15 years i wouldnt have mentioned it
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

No, the camera wouldn't be able to catch you changing lanes in an intersection. These cameras only detect speeding and entering an intersection once a light has turned red. That said, why change lanes in an intersection? Was there any reason for why you couldn't wait until you had exited the intersection? It's things like this which turn me from a normal human being into a road raging maniac.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
Kronky
Broom Broom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
No, the camera wouldn't be able to catch you changing lanes in an intersection. These cameras only detect speeding and entering an intersection once a light has turned red. That said, why change lanes in an intersection? Was there any reason for why you couldn't wait until you had exited the intersection? It's things like this which turn me from a normal human being into a road raging maniac.
then you have a very short temper. the next car didn't go through for about 3 seconds, so was about 100m behind at least. how would me changing in an intersection affect him or anyone else at all? if the intersection was busy i wouldnt have.
Old 21-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #20
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

The way I understand our WA cameras/red light cams is they take video for about 6 second either side of the red light change. That way if there is an accident they can review the video. Good for checking whether a car has cut off a truck etc etc.
Definately cant snap you for changing lanes a bit late

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #21
Kronky
Broom Broom

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
The way I understand our WA cameras/red light cams is they take video for about 6 second either side of the red light change. That way if there is an accident they can review the video. Good for checking whether a car has cut off a truck etc etc.
Definately cant snap you for changing lanes a bit late
video is a good way to do it. i know they have similar at the airport in melbourne (got my dad ). would prefer that to the current cameras