Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
fergus

Default Tourists and roundabouts

I see it at last once a week here in Ruddville.

Two lane roundabout. Dual carriageways entering and leaving. Standard arrows on each approach lane - left turn or straight ahead in the left lane and right turn or straight ahead in the right lane.

I'm in the right lane, rh indicator on. Older tourist in the left lane, next to me, Hmmm, he also has his rh indicator on.

Naturally I enter the roundabout with caution, and Yep, as expected, he turns right from the left lane. At least he stayed in his lane. Lucky for him I wasn't going straight ahead.

Before I judge him senile and dangerous, are all states consistent with roundabout rules?

fergus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

No. In QLD it's legal to indicate and change lanes in a roundabout. Can be real fun..
Old 26-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
fergus

Default and another roundabout one...

At the very next roundabout, also two lane, I am turning right again in the right hand lane. As I am turning, another car comes straight through the roundabout from the road on my left. He stayed in his left lane, I stayed in my right lane, and he exited the roundabout in front of me, merged into the one lane and kept going. No problem, except as usual it increased my pulse rate for a bit.

Now I wouldn't do what he did purely because I don't trust indicators. If I kept going straight or drifted wide we would have collided.

Here's the question: Does "giving way" at a roundabout include giving way to vehicles in the inside lane if you are going to stay in the outside lane?

Similarly, if I was going straight through in the right lane and he approached from the left and turned left into the left exit lane, he would be safe if I stayed in my lane, but what if I took the racing line as so many drivers do?
Old 26-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
rodderz

Also in QLD they are made to indicate left even when travelling straight through a roundabout. I ignored it, it's as confusing as hell waiting for someone to go through when you don't know if they are turning or going straight
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When im in the left lane i always give way to both lanes in the roundabout, far too often have i seen people on the right lane of the roundabout exit into the left lane.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
fergus

Scary.....
Old 26-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
fergus

Yep, me too. I have had trouble explaining to my newly licensed daughter that even though you are in different lanes, it is not worth the risk. Never judge a car's intended direction by the indicators alone.
Old 26-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Watched a person driving an IPEC van cut from the left lane to the right (straightline like a chicane) and back to the left lane straight thru today and nearly squashed an astra. Roundabouts are nearly as much fun as cross roads in back streets with 4 stop signs what were they thinking? Keep you on ya toes thats foresure. Roundabouts in NSW are like a lottery I always take great care expect the worst.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Also in QLD they are made to indicate left even when travelling straight through a roundabout. I ignored it, it's as confusing as hell waiting for someone to go through when you don't know if they are turning or going straight
You're are supposed to do it here too. I do it on the large ones but not on the smaller ones because really it would be no point on them. I have never seen the police enforce or follow this rule so they probably think it's just as stupid.

In the ACT you are meant to indicate left after entering the roundabout when going straight, and indicate left after making the turn and going straight when turning right. People either don't follow these rules properly or not at all in my experience.

For ACT peeps if they didn't already know http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/as...ertisement.pdf
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of the rules, if someone is keen to get in front of me I just let them go. Then if they are going too slow I just drop the gear and overtake them. It is perfectly legal but you are never short of people giving you the high beams and horn :
Old 26-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Regardless of the rules, if someone is keen to get in front of me I just let them go. Then if they are going too slow I just drop the gear and overtake them. It is perfectly legal but you are never short of people giving you the high beams and horn :
I hearin ya on that one

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Queenslanders do not understand the concept of Roundabouts....

That includes those that make the rules as well as the users....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
In NSW and VIC (and i think it would apply to other states under the uniform traffic code), you are actually supposed to use your left indicator to signal your intention to to exit the roundabout as you approach your desired exit, regardless of where you entered the roundabout.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
XC_Lizzard

At roundabouts, you are required to give way to traffic that is already on/in the roundabout, regardless of who is going where. So if you were on the roundabout before the other car, and a collision ensued, they would have been in the wrong.

The tricky question is when 2 cars approach the roundabout at the same time.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which basically is interpreted as give way to the right!
Old 26-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I'm in the left lane entering a roundabout, theres a car already on the roundabout in the right lane who is turning right, I always enter the roundabout. My lane is free he is turning right. I do enter with caution in case they are going to cut across my lane. and forgot to turn off their indicator.

I thought this was the norm. I've never given it much thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Lizzard
In NSW and VIC (and i think it would apply to other states under the uniform traffic code), you are actually supposed to use your left indicator to signal your intention to to exit the roundabout as you approach your desired exit, regardless of where you entered the roundabout.
ACT is the same
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
fergus

Lots of caution, I hope, Bucknaked. You'd have to have reflexes like a cat to avoid getting T-boned by the driver who had left his indicator on and was going straight through instead of turning, wouldn't you?

Raises another question too. Would his failure to indicate leaving the roundabout excuse you from failing to give way, or would you still be in the wrong?
Old 26-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I always indicate when getting on or off a roundabout...Not too many people do though and WHEN they do, they normally indicate right when they are exiting left!
Old 26-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
That is not correct. You indicate left just before your exit. That means if you intend entering and turn first left (9 o'clock)you put your left indicator on before entering. If you intend leaving at the 12 o'clock you don't put an indicator on before entering and only engage the left turn indicator as you approach the 12 o'clock exit. If you intend travelling past the 12 o'clock exit, you put your right turn indicator on before entering and then the left as your exit approaches.

If you intend exiting before the 12 o'clock exit you must enter in the left lane. Likewise if you intend exiting after the 12 o'clcok you must enter in the right lane. If you intend to exit at 12 o'clock you can enter in either lane.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
balthazarr

I don't get the point of indicating left as you exit the roundabout - in fact, I think it creates confusion...

Eg. Two lane roundabout, two cars approach, one in each lane. Both are going to continue straight ahead. Car on the right indicates left as they exit the roundabout - to me, if I was in the car in the left lane, I would think the car is wanting to change lanes into mine...

What's wrong with indicating your intentions as you enter the roundabout? Left, straight ahead or right?

The way some people drive, I don't want them trying to fiddle with the indicator stalk as they're part way through a turn - enough people straddle lanes as they turn as it is.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus
Lots of caution, I hope, Bucknaked. You'd have to have reflexes like a cat to avoid getting T-boned by the driver who had left his indicator on and was going straight through instead of turning, wouldn't you?
I always use caution. I don't go straight in, but rather wait until they are just passing in front before accelerating.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Roundabouts are one of the more common 'unknowns' when it comes to road rules.

The old school drivers will still stop dead at an empty roundabout and peer to the right, even though that rule is no longer in place.

Then there are the people who get the way you indicate all wrong. As some have correctly mentioned, you only indicate when going straight while your half way through the round about, not on entering. So if you are going straight, you enter the roundabout, and just as your car is roughly next to the roundabout (for smaller intersections), or just before your 'exit' you indicate left and then exit.

Just around the corner from me, there is a roundabout with 2 lanes on 2 sides, and 1 lane on the other 2 for each direction of traffic flow. Even though the roads are clearly marked with arrows, people turn left from both the left (correct) lane and the right (straight or right hand turn) lane. If the police sat across the intersection with a clip board and pen they would nab 40-60 cars an hr...

I have seen so many near misses in the mornings it's not funny.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #23
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr

What's wrong with indicating your intentions as you enter the roundabout? Left, straight ahead or right?
So you want people to indicate their intent when they get on the roundabout...How would you know when they are getting off?

What if they indicate right when they first get on the roundabout and they want to get off at the third exit?

I think this would confuse already confused motorists, unless I have misread your post.

I read somewhere awhile ago (I think it was only 10%, could have been lower) of road users knew the road rules when it came to roundabouts. Scary stuff!
Old 26-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got a nice fun one here in Moree, as you come down off the main bridge heading south, the round-about is "semi" two lane, in that the approach is two lanes wide and marked left turn only and straight through/right turn, to give the road-trains that use it enough room to get through.

The fun happens when you get QLDer's and Vic's heading south, they get in the left turn only lane and try and go straight through. I nearly put one guy into the service station on the south-eat corner.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #25
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know about you guys but being a Learner, I absolutely hate roundabouts, especially busy ones, give way to your right sounds all good but when you actually try and put it into practice, it gets really confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
I don't know about you guys but being a Learner, I absolutely hate roundabouts, especially busy ones, give way to your right sounds all good but when you actually try and put it into practice, it gets really confusing.
It comes with experience mate.
Old 26-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
The give way to right rule no longer exists. It's first in, best dressed.

Well, in NSW it is.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...undabouts.html

Quote:
Roundabouts
The roundabout sign

The roundabout sign means Slow Down, prepare to Give Way and if necessary stop to avoid a collision.

So, as you're approaching a roundabout, you must get into the correct lane, indicate if turning, and give way to traffic already on the roundabout.

Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.
Giving way

Slow down as you approach a roundabout. You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is a risk of collision. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.
Indicating

When approaching a roundabout, if you are turning left or right, you must indicate left or right.

When exiting a roundabout, whether you are turning left, right or even going straight ahead, you must always indicate a left turn just before you exit, unless it is not practical to do so.
Single lane roundabouts

The rules for slowing down, giving way and indicating when approaching and exiting at roundabouts are the same for single lane and multi-lane roundabouts.
Cyclists and roundabouts

At roundabouts with two or more marked lanes or lines of traffic, a cyclist has the option of turning right by entering the roundabout from either left or right lanes. However, if the cyclist chooses to enter from the left lane, the cyclist must take care to give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout.
Going Left, going right or making a uturn and going straight ahead
Going left

1. Slow down and prepare to give way as you approach the roundabout.
2. On approach you must be in the left lane unless otherwise marked on the road, and indicate a left turn.
3. You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of a collision.
4. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.
5. Stay in the left lane.
6. Keep your left indicator on until you have exited the roundabout.

Going right

2. On approach you must be in the right lane unless otherwise marked on the road, and indicate a right turn.
3. You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of a collision.
4. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.
5. Stay in the right lane.
6. You must indicate a left turn just before your exit unless it is not practical to do so.

Going straight ahead

2. On approach you can be in either lane, unless otherwise marked on road.
3. When going straight ahead you do not need to indicate on approach.
4. You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is any risk of collision.
5. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.
6. You must indicate a left turn just before you exit unless it is not practical to do so.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #28
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink QLD Roundabouts

My daughter got her licence in 82 and when she went for the test she had to use the left indicator as she approached the roundabout the right as she entered the roundabout and then the left to exit all this while going straight through a roundabout without turning right or left just straight through
now me with 45 years experience knows better if Im turnig left I indicate left if Im turning right I indicate right if Im going straight through then I dont indicate at all
by the way back in 97 the Mrs and I went to Europe and the first roundabout I came to I looked to the right and nothing was coming so I kept going next thing horns going off and someone tried to drive into my left hand door
you have to look left when you are driving in France they drive on the other side of the road
Thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #29
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

Quote:
They really are confusing for people aren't they. Some have admitted being perplexed by the rules, then some that have explained they're understandings of r'bout etiquette in this thread have got it all wrong!

Scary...
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
That is not correct. You indicate left just before your exit. That means if you intend entering and turn first left (9 o'clock)you put your left indicator on before entering.
Yes, thats what I meant, but didnt add it into the 1st post.

It's a silly bloody rule anyway, to me common sense says that those without an indicator in any part of the roundabout, are going straight. Of course you don't just pull out though, there are also those who don't use indicators but are turning

Never knew it was a rule in Vic too....I spose that makes a heap of other people too as I've never seen anyone do it down here
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post