Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
HSE2

Default ACCC chaos theory

As I am sure most are aware new legislation means RRP can’t be displayed on new cars. People that frequent sale sites like "carsales" will have noticed that the pricing of many new cars has been replaced by POA. (Price on application)

Many car companies are redirecting enquiries made of them to dealerships in respective states, (on road costs vary) causing confusion and sending a troubled industry into more disarray.

It’s the lead story in this week’s Go Auto news and has made headlines across the net over the last few days.

The biggest change now seems to be that dealerships feel they are breaking the law by advertising driveway specials for their own state when the potential buyer could be from interstate.

Then you have Toyota, who has a different take on the legislation and reaction to it.

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

I read about this earlier today - all I can say is what a mess! I'm glad we don't have this draconian legislation here in NZ when it comes to car pricing.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
HSE2

Yeah it is. They never thought it through
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 27-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a mess - read the same article, why doesnt the ACCC do something useful and investigate bank charges rather than examine the way the car industry displays prices.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
FoMoKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto
But these prices vary throughout Australia. GoAuto has been told the price of just one model can vary by up to 26 pricing regions in terms of stamp duty, registration fees – even compulsory third party insurance by postcode – with further variations for private, business, primary producers and pensioners and in some cases the age and gender.
I bet they didn't even think about this one, did they? How the hell could they be so ignorant? Having price point comparisons is pretty much the first step in buying a new car! Utter stupidity! Farking bureaucrats!

...and then I read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAuto
Breaches can involve criminal charges against individuals.
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575C2002A21B5

2008 LV FOCUS XR5 MOONDUST SILVER
FoMoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
HSE2

As it is, the internet as a buying tool is pretty much made redundant as far as new car sales go.
Old 28-05-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Thumbs down

That is the MOST RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard.
Why would the ACCC implement this. Who is to benefit, and what numbskull
thought it would be a good idea? I am totally miffed!!!!!!!! :

Sometimes I think, we/us as Australians are trying to protect ourselves/ the dimwits from no-one else but themselves. As stated in the story, we will/are the laughing stock of the world to be seen taking our stupid actions into our own hands for such a trivial matter.

What bloody next?
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
Gaz
Got Ghia?

I think it is good in principle....

You Vic's probably don't realise that there is something in the order of 2k+ for dealer delivery on a falcon in WA... when your buying a car for 35k that's a nice little jump.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Edit price - checked invoice again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
I think it is good in principle....

You Vic's probably don't realise that there is something in the order of 2k+ for dealer delivery on a falcon in WA... when your buying a car for 35k that's a nice little jump.
?

Dealer delivery on mine was $1540
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
arby

The law is for all sales - not just vehicle sales.
It was designed to stop the advertising of $9 flights which when bought had $50+ worth of taxes and charges which were only displayed in the fine print.
The industry will manage its just going through the implementation teething problems.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Theres a huge write up in todays carsguide about it

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

ACCC= no balls
When that wimp Fels was in charge he said if I thought the oil companies were in collusion I would come down on them like a ton of bricks
maybe lego bricks(blocks)
any man and his dog can see whats going on with the oil mobs
but not the ACCC now on to car prices
Do buyers see a price and then think thats all they have to pay
no rego costs
no delivery costs
free mag wheels
but there is one thing that should be shown
that is the cost of air conditioning
on new car adds Commodores used to be $30k plus air ($2000)
and Falcons were $32k with air= $2k dearer
but you couldnt buy a Commodore with out air so it was a rip off
or as the advertising gurus would say its how you word it
thanks for listening
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Too many DOO GOODERS, ok so how many times do you see (in the fine print or accross the bottom of the Telly)

OVERSEAS MODEL SHOWN/ LUXURY MODEL

Blah Blah,

If your stupid enough to sign for anything (as may people do) or (Motor Finance Wizard would be out of buisness) without seeing a FINAL TOTAL COST then you get what you deserve, we all went to school for a reason and if some cant work it out then they are just GREEDY and WANT IT NOW and dont care about whos paying for the 30 MONTHS INTREST FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cost, plus charges, plus costs, plus GST, plus Stamp Duty, plus Interest, plus options, PLUS PLUS PLUS = real cost PEOPLE, its that simple!!!!!!!!

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
yanknbank
Very regular

Another stupid piece of legislation that hasn't been thought through. The Privacy Act for example, has had all sorts of unitended consequences. One of the kids runs out of money and I go to the bank to deposit some funds into his/her account and am told 'no can do, it's against the Privacy Act'. Idiots (the pollies that is). Don't get me started on the Aviation Security Act. Yet another badly drafted, badly thought through piece of garbage that masquerades as law.
And we pay them to stick up their hand and pass this crap!
yanknbank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Haven't seen the detail of it, so can't really comment on the issues raised. However, just having gone through the rigmarole of pricing relatively new 2nd hand cars, I see there could be some benefits. Found dealing with the used car section of a couple of big Ford dealers up here very frustrating. Something would have $20k on the sticker, "is that the best you can do" ... "Yeah mate, heavily discounted, blah" ... Price wasn't too bad, we were ready to buy the damn thing, but then you have to go inside and do the 45 minute calculator dance. 20k plus stamp duty plus transfer fee plus $6.64 worth of fuel in the tank plus blah blah blah and all of a sudden it's 25k drive away, and we're banging on the calculator and "checking with the boss" and I've dealt with 3 different mouth-breathers for the best part of an hour, my lunch break is over and it all becomes too hard.

Possibly a bit burnt by the attitude of the people in the stealership though.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Its the same old thing, get you in the door then slug you, they work on the theory that X number of people will still sign (cause they want it).

Good to see your an educated individual GREEN MACHINE

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post