Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Default Long Wheel Base Models In Doubt

As I mentioned late last year that the Fairlane/LTD is not going to be around much longer, GORMAN is now quoted in todays Herald Sun as saying the models are in doubt and being assessed. Otherwords, they are softening the market for the decision.

Old 21-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Did it need a new thread?
Old 21-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No it didn't. There was a large multipage thread about this a few weeks back.

I reckon it's all in the gold badging though - Honda's got it, Toyota's got it, why not Ford. Seeing you spend about $75k on it, it would be nice to see some bling... lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Maybe Ford is frightened by the fact that the new Statesman will have it's own larger door to fit the extra LWB length.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

I'm sure I read a thread on this just last week.
Had a quick look for link - no good.

Why would Ford drop out of the LWB market?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Geez it is so easy to upset some here with a thread. Well fact is Ford had no public announcment, now they do. If it is a : I apologise to all those perfectionists. At least I gave you a chance to post your valuable comments.
Old 21-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Geez it is so easy to upset some here with a thread. Well fact is Ford had no public announcment, now they do. If it is a : I apologise to all those perfectionists. At least I gave you a chance to post your valuable comments.
Well, I appreciate it Redrum, methinks I better fast-track my quest for a G220! They may well become a collector's item before too long!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Can't see that many people being upset by the deletion of the Fairlane, Ford is better off spending the extra development money on the Falcon and Territory lineup then a car thats basically had it. The Fairmont Ghia is too close to it and for the money it certainly looks better.

The Caprice is a much nicer car then the LTD to, it looks good, its got the 6.0L V8 now and a host of other options that the LTD don't have.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #9
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

These cars have been struggling for existance for atleast 15 years now.

They don't sell enough and what they do sell is mostly fleet which gets them at great discounts and makes the whole thing extremely unprofitable.

Holden have had a magic door with UAE exports.

While I think the fairlane name will die, I think the LTD name will live on as a SWB car. It will compete at some level with the caprice (price, aussie manufacture, existing fleet pecking order etc) it will also target mid range luxury (Nissan G35? Honda ledgend? IS250 GS300? etc). Equipment and technology will flow from Jaguar, aston, Lincon, Volvo etc into this model before further range disimination. It can also prototype how to run such a model inbetween the regular ford lineup and Jaguar, something ford I think is having problems grappling with.

And with ford backing out of the space race with the caprice (a impossible task as the caprice is eventually going to be a factory limo with 2+4+2 limo seating) money and effort can be dedicated to the single wheelbase and improvements can be more substancial and eventually benifit the entire range.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=2&bg=24&pp=1

"New Statesman crushes Fairlane" Hmm I could have swear I said exactly the same thing a few weeks ago..
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The only thing keeping the Fairlane allive is Limo hire sedan sales, private sales are very very low and dealers are having to give them away at cost, especially if they arent white as no limo companys want them..

Still interesting to note that most if not 99% of Limo organisations still run a Fairlane fleet over the Statesmen, they last longer and they are more durable. I would say Fairlane will get a serious upgrade towards the end of the year with the introduction of Mark II in the BFs, it will receive the BF Fairmont Ghia front bar with foglights, LED technology etc, whether its enough to keep it in production will be another story.

I just dont know why Ford never made the Fairlane G220 or G8 with a G240 option as in the Turbo, bigger wheels and more power and it certainly would have done alot better then it has!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They only sell about 100 a month, not worth the development dollars in such a harsh environment for large cars. Sad, but true. Most people who used to buy Fairlanes and LTD's now buy Euros.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

being that ford and lincoln are joined
they should just switch the fairlane for the lincoln continental and towncar..

as both are RWD limo type cars
and would save ford the development $$

but the fairlanes are THE best for rear passenger leg room and boot room
which is GREAT for familys and pimping out mwahaha!!

GO THE FAIRLANE!!
Old 23-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Ford should have put the Boss 260 in the LTD, it would have diversified it from the rest.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Continental is no longer made and and the last one was FWD V8. The Town car is a rebadged Crown Victoria, which probably is about as good to drive as a NA Fairlane.

Ford are better off making a LWB Territory and bling it up like a Navigator or Escalade.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #15
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Lincoln LS is a nice piece of kit (stylings not my cup of tea though), the town car has the styling and the trim levels, but im not sure the dynamics would suffice even in the luxo-barge maket.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
jmc-007

how about use the AUDI A8 Luxo platform and go from there.

Seriously the marketers at ford need a kick up the ИИИИ. so do the product managers.

I aspire to own a Fairlane G8 or LTD in BA/BF Guise. dont fail me now.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #17
FPV

I don't think that the marketers are given much of a chance, i read somewhere that Ford US is not impressed with the performance of the LWB models, and thus there is a very small budget for marketing the LWB models. The holden insiders even admit they couldnt see LWB models surviving on the Australian sales itself, and that is all Ford have.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 11:39 PM   #18
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They only sell about 100 a month, not worth the development dollars in such a harsh environment for large cars. Sad, but true. Most people who used to buy Fairlanes and LTD's now buy Euros.
If they are only selling 100 a month than most come here as there are heaps of them out in the country as the wheat growers love them for the open roads ,but yeah it would be sad to see them go but they do look like a Fairmont too much
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The continental was deleted in 2002, Lincoln is part of the Ford group in America, The town car is RWD and is not based on the crown victoria. The mercury Grand Marquis is based on the crown victoria.

Licoln does share some components with the Crown Vic however, but not many. The doors, roof and bonnet, boot are different. In fact, the Lincoln is not even a monocoque chassis, it is a body bolted on to a sub frame. It also has a higher satidfaction rating than cadillac, and has only recently been pipped by lexus. It sells alot more than cadillac too.

It comes in 4 models; Signature, Signature Limited, Designer and the range topping Signature L. Prices range from US$42875 and go through to US$51345.
The car is over 5.5 metres long, and comes with the 4.6 modular v8 rated at about 179kw.

Quote: