Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default How (not) to drive in Snow.

If anyone has seen Auslandau's sig, this is what he means.

A friend in America sent me this........ Be sure to watch all 3 vids. http://www.wheels.ca/winterdriving/article/802329

So much to remember when driving in the snow.

First, if you slide and wreck, best thing is to hop out of the car. All the better to get squished by the next dumbass sliding down the hill sideways, straight at you.

Second, always carry tire chains. Don't use them; just carry them. After you stop sliding sideways, you can install them on the car, right in the middle of the road.
All the better to get squished by yet another dumbass, sliding down the hill sideways, straight at you.

Third, when you hop out of the wrecked car, be sure and drag the kiddies out with you. It's easier to squish four people than just one.

Amateur night, indeed. Pros like me are at home, with stocked pantries,full freezers, and satellite TV.
P.S. When the cops at the top of the hill tell you not to go down the hill, ignore them. Who do they think they are, anyway?

Old 28-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Default Re: How (not) to drive in Snow.

babyf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now you know why they love front wheel drive!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I heard about this, there was a person putting snow chains on the rear wheels of his Camry
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Really stupid, stupid people makes for great entertainment at their own expense. Just look at whats going on and think "He didn't make it ... and those other 5 cars but I am a better driver than them and ......... Holy ***** '' Seems like no one was hurt except for some egos and panels!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not much difference to the idiots here in QLd driving through flooded roads and being swept away because "they have to get home/ work/ pub/ etc"

The best one was CH9 news which taped a small car stop and reverse when they saw the water was too deep, yet coming the other was was a camry being driven by a young male with 2 other friends in car drive into what was a raging torrent and then stall it. The water level was waist deep. They were rescued by people in a ute who towed them out.

Quote:
Call to get tough on flood drivers January 26, 2012 01:00AM View as multiple pages

ONE man has been charged after driving through floodwaters at Burpengary as calls are made for careless drivers to have their cars confiscated.

The 44-year-old man will face court next month accused of driving without due care and attention.

It comes as an SES chief calls for cars to be confiscated as dozens of people including a woman and three children had to be rescued over the past two days.

At least 9000 people have called RACQ and SES received more than 1500 calls in the past 48 hours with 25 of 26 swiftwater rescues involving motorists.

Ipswich City SES co-ordinator Arie van den Ende said penalties for crossing floodwaters needed to be ramped up.

"If you drive through floodwater, and there was a (road closed) sign and you go around it, you lose your car for three months," he said.

"It puts a lot of people's lives in danger just because you want to go home. Well, go without a car for three months and maybe you'll get the message."

Transport and Main Roads regional director Kym Murphy said: "Floodwaters are dangerous and deadly even shallow, quick-flowing water is strong enough to sweep a person off their feet or a vehicle into flood waters.

"Crossing a flooded road is simply not worth it - staying safe is the best gift you can ever give your loved ones."

Anger mounted as motorists ignored warnings not to cross inundated roads with 25 of 26 swiftwater rescues involving people in cars who drove into floods.

Premier Anna Bligh said driving in floodwaters was "extremely irresponsible".

"That was 26 rescues that potentially put lives at risk," she said. "If it's flooded, forget it. Remember it only takes 60cm of fast-flowing water to wash a car off a road."

Motorists rescued included three children and their mother, who were plucked to safety after their car became trapped in rising waters at Tabragalba. Motorists have been told to leave extra time for travel and plan their journeys.
Yet people continually just drive into flood waters without a care in the world and then need to be rescued, endangering emergency services staff all because they are too thick to realise they MAY DIE!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have seen some of these before.
Once traction is lost ... they just accelerate so quick on the ice/snow.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

How silly is it of those people standing there on the side of the road, there were some people standing near their wrecked vehicles but earlier on there were people standing out the front of their homes I take it on the footpath watching... I know I would'nt be standing there.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

At around 2:30 this little white car did a 360, didn't hit nothing and it happened so slowly, it looks fairly funny, it would have been good if they casually drove off after they completed the spin rather than stopping.

Holy crap at like 3 minutes, its like destruction derby, why would you go down the hill if you can see like 20 cars all banged up and all over the road?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NO TRACTION ........been there, i remember turning down a rarely used national park road (Mt Robertson Vic) when i had my old nissan patrol years ago, as it turned this road was cambered slippery wet clay (just like ice), as soon as i hit it i felt the steering go light i had a clue i was in the poop , it dragged me into a small drain/culvert running along the side of the road, no amount of steering, braking, coasting made any difference,
i was heading for that drain and that`s all gravity and no traction would allow me to do, i was doing only about 20 kph with a big steel bull bar on the front so a tree would`nt have been a bother , no damage was had anyway,
i had to winch the patrol from a tree the other side of the road into the middle of the road and very carefully stay in the high spot of the road, i can`t recall if i put chains on , i had a full set in the tool box ,
mud lug tyres, very heavy 4wd made zero difference , without spiked tyres or chains these people would have had no chance.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny. I used to go out on purpose in my MK1 Esky when it snowed back in pommy land. 60mph in full lock was soooo much fun !!!
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
jason71
google is my friend

Hate to see how much car insurance be in places like that!
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And not one of them had winter/snow spiked tyres or chains.

Sigh.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Can anyone say Excessive Loss of Traction?

Probably why they don't have Hoon laws in the USA.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hoon laws are bs anyway.
Old 28-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
nstg8a

that last impact where the sedan basically reverse tbones the f truck (or whatever it was) now that was a hard impact, lucky their left hand drive, hope there was no passenger.
or the one that collected the snowplow lol, might as well have a headon with a tank.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am suprised how well the cars held up.
Old 28-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Relatively uneventful if you ask me. Put those conditions in Aust, and you'd have a lot more excitement than what was on that vid!!! Honestly, there'd be people still doing 60 or 75kph and having massive prangs but then shaking theirs heads in disbelief that they crashed, saying "but I was driving within the speed limit!!!".

I've seen a fair few snow & ice driving vids from USA, and aside from the usual quota of nimrods, they tend to handle it fairly well.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But these conditions are in aus, especially with all the floods, mud slicks are just as bad.
Old 28-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Winners!

Especially that bloke in the GMC Pickup at around 4.00 minutes in who thought that if he went super fast, that he would magically fly over the ice and make it down the hill safely........

Utah...... enough said!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like a fun test to me! i kinda like when theres something a bit hairy you have to try to use your skill to pass!

Come to think of it, I have driven around in the snow in Utah a few years back, and did reverse donuts in some suburban court! haha, and I remember locals pulling handbrakys! Just joining in on the fun!

Last edited by EDManual; 28-01-2012 at 11:04 PM.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
Winners!

Especially that bloke in the GMC Pickup at around 4.00 minutes in who thought that if he went super fast, that he would magically fly over the ice and make it down the hill safely........

Utah...... enough said!
He nearly made it though
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I heard about this, there was a person putting snow chains on the rear wheels of his Camry
Yeah that was in one of the vids, a guy was helping her put them on. Although the write up has it as a Corolla.
Old 29-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
Winners!

Utah...... enough said!
yeah nearly got there, good laugh that vid though.
Old 29-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
stevz
Banned

Lol @ 2:45 - 2:50

That's one way to parallel park.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Jesus the human race is intelligent

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The SUV that hit the plough would be royally screwed, it would have cut into it like a knife, a good foot or two in as well. Probably would have hit the engine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #28
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
And not one of them had winter/snow spiked tyres or chains.

Sigh.

Thing is ... the Yanks don't use them.
I've spent time in Minnesota where 2 metre snow drifts are common in winter and they have "summer tyres" and "winter tyres". The winter tyres just have a different tread that's supposed to give you control on ice, but I found they only had limited grip. And once you lose grip on ice ... hang on!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
But these conditions are in aus, especially with all the floods, mud slicks are just as bad.
youve never driven on frozen snow have you.... you know that stuffs slippery when a car thats stopped, starts sliding by itself.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Not much difference to the idiots here in QLd driving through flooded roads and being swept away because "they have to get home/ work/ pub/ etc"

The best one was CH9 news which taped a small car stop and reverse when they saw the water was too deep, yet coming the other was was a camry being driven by a young male with 2 other friends in car drive into what was a raging torrent and then stall it. The water level was waist deep. They were rescued by people in a ute who towed them out.

Yet people continually just drive into flood waters without a care in the world and then need to be rescued, endangering emergency services staff all because they are too thick to realise they MAY DIE!
If people just stopped rescuing them.....................
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post