Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
DougM

Default Insurance Rort..Not happy NRMA

Hi to all....

I justy wanted to vent my anger at my insurance company....The NRMA.....They sent us a renewal for my wife's car (AU3 Forte Wagon) with an increase in premium of nearly $400.........WTF???? Nearly 50% increase..

Get this, 65% protected NCB discount = $1831.39
20% years of Ins. Discount = $834.82
Multipolicy Discount = 521.76
Total discounts = $3187.97

Premium = $1138.98 For an agreed value of $11,600

That's nearly 10% value of the car AFTER all their discounts......

Are these people for real?????? My XR8 is only slightly more to insure through Shannons.....

I rang Shannon's and they gave me an excess price of $826 plus an $85 discount on my XR8 premium.....The agreed value was less at $10,000 but that only comes into play if the car's a total loss.....

When I rang NRMA the lady I sopke to said that she could not really explain why it had gone up so much but all insurance companies are increasing premiums and that they have had many new clients complaining about their previous insurer so in the end "it all balances out"!!! For who????????? Certainly not me.....What a way to treat loyal customers.......

The NRMA also said that they will not price match!!!! Thay also charge extra for pay by the month which some other don't so the price is even higher again!!!

I'll be checking my other policies now too and probably change them also.....

I hope there are some NRMA managers reading this.....NOT HAPPY....

SHOP AROUND GOOD PEOPLE!!!!!! I used to wonder about the term "grumpy old man" but I'm certainly seeing where it comes about lately....These big corporations/Govt. just keep bending us over every day........

DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

First off an AU3 Forte Wagon will never be worth five digits
Old 22-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
First off an AU3 Forte Wagon will never be worth five digits
Why? If he still owes five figures on it then insuring it appropriately seems completely reasonable to me.

To the OP, just shop and shop til you get the best you can. NRMA wield a big *emotional* stick in that they have the best payout record around but when the differenves are fractions of percents I think you can shop with comfort. A move to AAMI on our cars cut our annual bill by almost 40%!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Last year my AUII Futura wagon was agreed valued at $10,450-ish IIRC, with CGU and we pay about $50 a month with windscreen protection and $200-$250 excess, I can't remember exactly. That's with full no claims bonus. We have that and my Fairlane on the same policy, both agreed value at the max. allowable, and pay a total of about $110 a month give or take.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Wow what happened to the slogan call N.R.M.A to S.A.V.E?
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$650 for a modified BA XR8 through RAC
agreed for over 20k.
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
BOSHOG
avenge me

my BA XR8 was insured for $25k for $520ish but i took the higher excess option

give AAMI a call, they were great to deal with.
Old 22-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Wow what happened to the slogan call N.R.M.A to S.A.V.E?
Wan't that 10 years ago?
At least it was here in Vic.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Outback
Banned

F6 agreed value 70k insur cost $0 its not insured
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Wan't that 10 years ago?
At least it was here in Vic.
Might have have been ;)
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
Brave man :
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:

Brave man

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All insurance premiums have gone up. As the insurance companies took a big hit during the GFC and the customer always pays.

Heaven forbid if the stockholders made a little less this year .

as all have said, shp around you will be surprised how much premiums fluctuate between companies.

I thought Shannons were the cheapest for my G6ET (limited usage policy) until I shopped around and went with Pay as you Drive up to 15,000k's per year and saved $480 a year and car is insured for $7000 more than shannons.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

**!
i'll probably shop around when my nrma comes up again, but is it worth looking at new for old replacement? i imagine the depreciation hit on my BF XR8 ute is pretty steep.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NRAM suck.. I had a 1999 Magna worth 2-3K, been with NARM for 12 years & never made an at fault claim.. Went to insurance my new XR6T & they wanted 3 times more than anyone else.. Then they send me a renewable for the Magna (it was due at the same time as I go the new car) which also had an increase. Making the premium more for a 1999 Magna worth 2-3K more than what I'm now paying with AAMI for an XR6T worth close to 50K!! And all this to a customer of 12 years that has costed them nothing... How one company could be run so badly is laughable

Quote:
I dont believe that for one second.. And if it is true, I'll stop writing as I'll just get into trouble if I say what I want to!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
DougM

What I don't understand is the sudden turnaraound with the NRMA......I have been with them for so long........I had an XR6 turbo 3 years ago which cost me about $1700 annually to insure.....the car was under finance....They were cheaper than even Just Cars????? I am over 30.......I even got quoted for a WRX and NRMA were still the cheapest for me.......Now all of a sudden they say that premiums have "GONE UP"!!!! How come then someone like Shannons can beat their price by nearly 50%.....And this is compared to their DISCOUNTED price!!!!????? It's BS!!!!
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
rns-11z

my insurance whent up $200

It was Gossip

Team AMG Cafe menu
Breakfast ///M3
Lunch ///M5
Dinner ///M6
Fruity Desert RS8
rns-11z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

My wife's car insurance went up $30 this year, through youi. Sounds like you're all with the wrong insurers!

Related story, my home & contents shot up from $800 to $1,200 this month for 2010. Phoned them up, discovered that the estimated value on my home was WAY above what it should be. Got them to knock it all down a little (in terms of insured value - still reasonable), knocked the excess up $100 and deleted one listed item in the contents (which will only go walkies if my wife gets her left hand chopped off... unlikely...) and my premium is now $50 more than it was last year. And we're still not exactly under-insured.

It pays to:

1. Shop around.
2. Actually talk to your insurer (i.e. don't just do the website quotes).
3. Think about your excess.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

NRMA can do this, because there is still a large customer base that WILL ONLY insure with them, no ifs, no buts. When the renewal comes around, it is just paid, no matter what the premium is.

Same with Telstra and their broadband.

Shop around, and forget about loyalty discounts etc. Every year when I get my premium for both CTP and Comprehensive I get several quotes and go with the cheapest. If I save $100 it is in my pocket and not theirs.

Ask around your work... you will be very surprised at the amount of people who have been with the same insurance company for several years without ever questioning their premium.

My old mechanic was with the NRMA for over a decade, and his insurance went up bit by bit, generally with CPI. He didn't care.. till his last premium was 35% more than the previous year.

A phone call and a 'please explain' got it down to a few dollars above the old premium... a saving of well over $300 I think. He changed company the following year and tells every customer the same story. This was several years ago now, but makes you wonder doesn't it?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #20
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Brave man

I drive mine with no insurance - nothing to be proud of and soon I get CTP

Always had comprehensive insurance on cars but the F6 being "Performance car" and me under 25, $200 a month is bit steep.

Secondly there is only 3 Insurance company who are prepared to insure me so not much of choice to shop around.

OP Shop around and you'll find good bargains, CGU and GIO are good to negotiate with and they are quite good when it comes to claims aswell.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
Wardo

Quote:
As long as he has third party property only he is taking the risk.

Remember CTP only covers the people involved in the accident not their property(car\house\etc).

Outback if you don't have it, call NOW and organise third party property protection, that way the worst thing that happens is you loose your car. Otherwise you may be paying something off for the rest of your life.
Old 22-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XR5 is insured with the NRMA. Renewed last December. About $700 per year, my premium dropped by About $200 when I renewed. Some new level of insurance, and conditions, excess and amount insured for remained unchanged. Hire car also included

Having said that, NRMA wanted $650 for my SV650, but went to QBE who were $300 cheaper.

At renewal time for the scooter, car, home and home contents, I will shop around if I'm paying more.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Padrino90
Ghiamobile

Hey mate try Youi out, just swapped my car over to them. Was paying $900 for a car worth $3000 with NRMA, with Youi $500....almost half price, its criminal
Old 22-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #24
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no loyalty with insurance.

A friend of mine has a 2008 Mitsubishi Pajero. 3.2L turbo-diesel used in city driving, but also a lot of 4WD'ing.

He goes through AAMI because they're cheaper (though he knows they're a PITA when it comes to claiming). When he got his insurance renewal, he noticed it had gone up. He decided to go online and see how much it was if he applied online. It was cheaper!
So he cancelled his existing account and signed up for a new one - he saved money.

How retarded is that?

ALSO...

LOOSE = Not tight. Example: The bolt is loose.
LOSE = When you do not win. Example: It sucks when you lose.

That is all.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #25
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Did an online quote with budget direct and was around $200 cheaper than AAMI whom i with currently.
Might be worth a try.
Old 22-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #26
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I still had the Camry, I got a renewal where the premium went up 10% and they devalued the car 15%... I was pretty angry but not nearly as angry as I was last night when I checked out the NRMA website to see what my insurance on the XR8 was going to look like in 6 months. Not only am I ALREADY getting ripped about $200 a year according to their own system, If I change to AAMI when I turn 25 (5 months away) my insurance is $1100/year as opposed to $1800/year and I'd have lifetime no claim bonus protection where as with NRMA I don't.

I'm disgusted with NRMA's policies and behaviour and am not going to give them another chance- they can jam it (and their now only 5% multi-policy discount) where the sun don't shine. Greedy ************...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
He goes through AAMI because they're cheaper (though he knows they're a PITA when it comes to claiming). When he got his insurance renewal, he noticed it had gone up. He decided to go online and see how much it was if he applied online. It was cheaper!
So he cancelled his existing account and signed up for a new one - he saved money.

How retarded is that?
I have 2 cars with AAMI, both online premiums.

I think it does say that the online quotes are cheaper than the phone quotes. Eg, if a car came back as $300 online, it would be $330 if you called for the same car.

Perhaps the renewal your friend got was the higher 'over the phone' quote?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #28
Outback
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardo
As long as he has third party property only he is taking the risk.

Remember CTP only covers the people involved in the accident not their property(car\house\etc).

Outback if you don't have it, call NOW and organise third party property protection, that way the worst thing that happens is you loose your car. Otherwise you may be paying something off for the rest of your life.
the car has done 10 ks in 12 months i dont drive it i have a company car.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #29
mntxr
Jamie is the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM
Hi to all....

I justy wanted to vent my anger at my insurance company....The NRMA.....They sent us a renewal for my wife's car (AU3 Forte Wagon) with an increase in premium of nearly $400.........WTF???? Nearly 50% increase..

Get this, 65% protected NCB discount = $1831.39
20% years of Ins. Discount = $834.82
Multipolicy Discount = 521.76
Total discounts = $3187.97

Premium = $1138.98 For an agreed value of $11,600

That's nearly 10% value of the car AFTER all their discounts......

Are these people for real?????? My XR8 is only slightly more to insure through Shannons.....

I rang Shannon's and they gave me an excess price of $826 plus an $85 discount on my XR8 premium.....The agreed value was less at $10,000 but that only comes into play if the car's a total loss.....

When I rang NRMA the lady I sopke to said that she could not really explain why it had gone up so much but all insurance companies are increasing premiums and that they have had many new clients complaining about their previous insurer so in the end "it all balances out"!!! For who????????? Certainly not me.....What a way to treat loyal customers.......

The NRMA also said that they will not price match!!!! Thay also charge extra for pay by the month which some other don't so the price is even higher again!!!

I'll be checking my other policies now too and probably change them also.....

I hope there are some NRMA managers reading this.....NOT HAPPY....

SHOP AROUND GOOD PEOPLE!!!!!! I used to wonder about the term "grumpy old man" but I'm certainly seeing where it comes about lately....These big corporations/Govt. just keep bending us over every day........
mate you getting ripped i am 20 had a aciedent when i was 19 was my fault and i pay 2 grand a year on a ba xr6 with cover for 25 grand and my 6 speed manaul conversion and diff and all mods covered
Old 22-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #30
GT-E

I was with NRMA for my 4 company cars.
I got the renewal last year and it had gone up from $4300 for the 4 cars (Turbo Territory Ghia, GT-E, Honda Accord & Hyundai Getz) all the way to $6250. Gave me a sob story about the "performance" nature of the cars. Weird thing is the Getz was the same price as the TTG :
They would not budge, so I called up Allianz and they did the same cars for $4200.
I had also gotten a CTP renewal from NRMA for $516, Allianz did it for $450.
Goot riddance NRMA, they were a real PIA to deal with as well.