Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
thek

Default B & M Megashifter

I am interested to hear for anyone who has used one of these units?

What does a ratchet shift feel like?

Does it shift easy or do you have to put a bit of effort into it?

Basically I'm asking;

Would a b & m mega shifter be a pain in the *** to use in a full manual valve body c4 on a daily basis?

And what's a good price for a brand new one?

Thanks.

thek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put one in a XF that I did a 351 clevo And c4 conversion a few years ago.
It was pretty easy to use and had no troubles with it.Saying that mine wasn't fully manualised so I wasn't changing gears with it all the time.Personally,I would be using the quicksilver shifter which I am led to believe is much easier to use with a manualised auto. Either way you go make sure you use a heavy duty shift cable as they are prone to wearing.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a Megashifter is a previous car and was very happy with it. The ratchet action is easy to use and you can't stuff up and miss gears or hit neutral when you don't want to.
Only bit I remember being a pain was setting up the micro switches for neutral and reverse.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Have you looked at the pro ratchet?.Just my preference but i like them.They are not as big and i think a little simpler .
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
dynosteve
Dyno Tuner

Don't waste your money on a mega shifter, they have the highest warranty rate of the shifters, i'd use either a precision race shifter or a pro-rachet
dynosteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
thek

Thanks for the tips.

So would the pro ratchet be good for the street?

Can someone please explain to me how they work exactly? Like getting into park and reverse etc.

What is the mini red shifter next to the main shaft? What does it do?

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...ubcat=2&pid=21

thanks
thek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
BJ
Banned

If you plan on tyring to keep you car legal you will need to use a shifter that has the shift markings on the right hand side. The only ones that are, are the Starshifter and the Megashifter. All of the others as i said are ilegal.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
dynosteve
Dyno Tuner

shift marking are on the pro rachet shifter they supply stickers to put there, the red lever is reverse lockout and they work very well on street cars, to be legal you must have a neutral start switch connected and reverse lights and the prorachet shifter has both of these. good luck hope this helps
Old 08-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve
shift marking are on the pro ratchet shifter they supply stickers to put there, the red lever is reverse lockout and they work very well on street cars, to be legal you must have a neutral start switch connected and reverse lights and the prorachet shifter has both of these. good luck hope this helps
That's right but to use the reverse lockout it is not for a right hand drive car, because the red lever is on the wrong side. The reason i am on about this is that I had one fitted to my car and i they would not let it pass rego here in Melbourne a few years ago because of that. Thats why i now have a Mega shifter in my XC
Old 08-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
dynosteve
Dyno Tuner

They should have passes it, i don't have a problem doing them in Qld on Roadworthy, might be different done south where you are though
Old 08-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
BJ
Banned

They are pains in the B*m down here Steve. And it is only going to get worse from what i can tell.