Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default what is the go with some of the holden fans you met??

why is it when i speak too some die hard holden fan they automatically assume that any ford (or any other brand of car) is ****?? i really can not understand it. have they driven the car??? most of the time no.

everytime i talk too a diehard holden fan of late as soon as they find out i own two falcons they say their a problem, pus bucket etc etc. i mean i like holdens too. just think their not as good as some of these holden diehards think. I've owned holdens as well as fords. yet the ford diehards usally didnt care when i had a holden. yea we all pay out on each others cars joking about etc, but why do these die hard holden fans seem like they cant take a joke or reallity if theres a better car then their lowered VT with a 4 inch exhaust and chev badges that make them think they get an extra 50hp at the rear wheels with the badges on?? I'm not saying all holden fans are try hards. i have meet decent ones. just the idiot ones of late annoy me. I know that theres better cars then my 2 AUs but i dont care if some one has a better car then me. I really can not understand what it is with some of the holden fans of late

Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: what is the go with some of the holden fans you met??

Here's my first rule of car talk: You like your car, and I like my car.

I always try to remember that when talking to others. Many people don't. Brand loyalty can be a friendly rivalry, or it can be stupid. Ford is often the butt of jokes in the US (I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Fix Or Repair Daily" or "Found On Road Dead"), but I just shrug it off.

Like you, I find Ford fans more accepting of other marques. The local Mustang club here has a monthly "cruise" in a restaurant parking lot. It is open to any kind of car from any manufacturer. There is a Buick club that attends regularly, as well as a 1990s Chevy Impala club. The funny thing is, those guys all stay together and don't mingle with the Mustang and Ford owners.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Both camps have a broad spectrum of fans that range from open minded free thinkers to close minded indoctrinated fundamentalists.
My suggestion is not to try to engage the staunch one-eyed fans, they live in their own little world where the other brand is completely bad.

If you can get fans of ether side to talk about their hopes and desires for the future, I think you'll have more chance
of breaking down the barriers as people drop their guards and speak frankly about what sorts of cars they really want.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have seen both ends of the scale ... although the stereotype of the typical Holden Bogan is alive and well. It doesn't fit all ... but most aspire to it.

I rocked up at Bunnings one morning ... there was a All Holden Day meet up there before the show. And going on how they were parked ... even some of the "Holden" guys didn't want to be near a lot of the stereotypes.

I came back to my ute ... and commented on the nice work done to the "normal-looking" Holden owners vehicles. They were shocked that a Ford fan/owner was appreciative. Had a bit of a chat with them ... they were not your typical one-eyed Holden fans (although it was their choice of vehicle) ... and they had a healthy respect for anything modified/restored nicely.

Was good to see the opinions from the other side as well.

As for the guys over the other side of the car park ... they fitted Pottery's description to a T.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of my friends like one brand and appreciate the other with the exception of a few. But the few are the ones who miss out.
We have both an AU XR8 and a VY SS Commodore. I like both cars, they do the same thing but have a different feel and thats what I like about them.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Angeldust

no different than a catholic, a protestant and a jehovas witness.

None are right lol

/thread

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I normally take a look at their age, it's normally the young and immature that carry on like a one eyed bucked toothed fairy (that goes for either brand)
and the older, more discerning person that just eats humble pie and thats just passionate about anything with and engine and 4 wheels.
I mean for gods sake at the end of the day it's just a friggin machine that carries people around
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

I think you nailed it in the original post when you typed "die Hard". Any die hard fan is very one eyed to their perticular product. Maybe us ford enthusiasts arent "Die Hard" enough.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Ranger Roger

Makes you question the decision to bring more manufacturers into the V8's next year! Will there be the same "die hards" for the other makes! I'm not sure. Personally, that's one of the things I love about the category at the moment. It's great to have a dig at your holden mates, and they give it back just as much, if not better!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Im a die hard Holden Fan so to speak yet own two Fords atm.....

Maybe im just confused?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The funny thing is they often don't drive a Holden..
I was at WSID a guy kept going on about how much better Holden's where...
As we where walking back to car park...
He jumped into a 80's Corolla ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Dezza
Parts bin special

I went to school with a few blokes like that. When they'd tell me "Ford are s***", I'd just reply why? Their response would be "because they are". Well thought out, logical response that was!

I find a lot of Ford fans aren't exactly open minded either. The amount of comments bagging out EA and AU (both of which I own - and both of which have been great cars), usually by people who haven't driven them, and just go by what they've heard. If people have had issues, fair enough, but all those who have never driven one should think twice before bagging them out.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I was getting bagged for having a V8 Ghia by this guy my ex knew, he had a total st heap of a VL, probably wasn't even worth $1000, and he couldn't even drive it cause he lost his licence for a few years for drink driving, he couldn't read or write, had never had a job, smoked bongs and drank all day and had very few teeth. He also was a drug dealer.

Yet he thought he had the right to criticize someone else. Talk about a Holden loving bogan stereotype. Those type of people don't even deserve the time of day. Karma got him when he had a heart attack before he had even turned 30.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Majestic

I have a Ford mate that carry's on just as immature as some of the holden fans that are described in the original post. Seriously my mate comes across as 8yo child the way he carries on thinking Fords are the best cars ever built and nothing even comes close. He gets really emotionally upset if you don't agree with him LOL
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a Holden nut. I have Holden pics and flags hung in my garage and 3 HSV jackets...and here I am.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
I'm a Holden nut. I have Holden pics and flags hung in my garage and 3 HSV jackets...and here I am.
...you're doing it wrong

yes a lot of Holden fans in my experience tend to not even own one, they say they're better because uncle baz told them, or stevo down the road, or johnno at the pub. They also tend to say so because "olden uhr ozzy, fawd uh mayde boy yanx"

For the the love of god, don't ask one of these people what the GM part in GMH stands for.

OP made a point i've said for years, in that i've never cared what other people own, and i respect any car that's had work put into it. I don't hate Holdens either, i far prefer Fords.

It'd be nice if other people thought that way, but there's a lot of stupid out there.

Also let's not get too excited with the descriptions of the general's customer base, the thread is on dangerous ground already.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Doesn't matter what badge is fitted to the car. Both brands have there good and bad points.

I don't think it's a brand specific thing, where one side bags the other side. Both sides bag each other as much as the other. There's a little evidence already in this thread, if you read it properly.

When it comes to "judging" a modified car, I look at what the owner has done and think, great the car stands out in a crowd. Not the fact the owner has put another brands part on it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

there are good and bad in both camps. if they seem like idiots, then don't talk to them - problem solved

some of the best car conversations i have are with a guy at work who hates fords as much as i hate holdens - the thing is though we seem to respect each other and our choice of cars. we try and keep our conversation realistic and not base it on bias. if there is something that one of us might find offensive, we leave it out
another mate who likes chrysler was the type who would just start crap about fords. it certainly limited our conversation span while it went on

the fact is, if you don't like what they come out with, don't talk to them
however, we all have the capacity to be rude - it just never comes out as rude when we say it . . . . not in our minds anyway - just like the stereotyped holden fans probably don't think they are rude when they talk
Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Holden fans are to us what we are to them.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always respect the work someones put into a car. regardless of make and model. i joke around with mates and people when we work on cars and talk on about cars. just find it harder to do that around some diehard holden fans. I've also notice that some die hard holden fans dont even drive holdens. had someone one argue with me at work one day a while back. told me i should sell me ford and by a commodore. i just said jokingly that would be going from bad to worse. well didnt he get upset about that!!! funny thing is he drives a camry.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE
Most of my friends like one brand and appreciate the other with the exception of a few. But the few are the ones who miss out.
We have both an AU XR8 and a VY SS Commodore. I like both cars, they do the same thing but have a different feel and thats what I like about them.
And you sir have the combo perfect, those 2 models you own are the best made/driver car of each brand, after those models plastic quality and fit/flushness of the later cars went down hill.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #22
ConradP

It's not just die hard Holden fans, I've met people who just straight up hate fords, ones that drive Hyundai's and all sorts that are falling apart would give me **** for owning a brand new Ford.

Some people just aren't mentally sound.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there`s probably no shortage of D heads in any large motoring fan base, that`s just the way it is, but there`s plenty of good people too, if people want to get malicious about it i`m not interested in talking to them, i don`t mind a bit of a jibe and giving it back in jest, but can appreciate someone else`s pride and joy what ever the brand, some people do take it a bit to serious.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think they are fantastic... offer me no end of amusement....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #25
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people are thinkers. Some people followers.

Sounds like you have been talking to the latter.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #26
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at the end of the day we all bleed red
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

all the die hard holden fans i have met are the same.

most ford fans i have met and asked do appreciate some holdens.

me i love my fords to the bone, BUT if i see a nice torrie, or Mopar i always think to myself ohh yeh i wouldn't mind owning that.

and even mopar fans respect fords but do not like the holden brand, i think its a lion thing.

just remember a lion cannot catch a falcon in the air but a falcon can always catch a lion.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #28
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could just as easily substitute the word "Ford" for "Holden" in your post and it would suit equally as well...all makes have a wide range of people from those who will defend their particular make, no matter what the faults and problems, and only see a badge, to those who like one sort of car, but equally like many other sorts.
We fall into the second camp...we happen to own a G6E at the moment. Before that we owned a 100 series Landcruiser. Before that was a VX Lumina. At the moment in the yard we also have our '82 Toyota Celica and a Holden WB V8 ute.
What's our next car going to be? Who knows...could be something like a VW Golf GTi or something...

Limit yourself to one badge, and then only maybe one or two types of car with that badge, and you are doing yourself out of some fun times in other types of car...
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't get me started with one particular Holden fan I know... What this guy keeps saying over the years shows that he is full of it and apparently every year for the last 5 years, Ford will be bankrupt by the end of the year. He doesn't even have a drivers licence, but he says when his parents moved to Australia over 30 years ago, they owned a Mk1 Cortina and said it was a "piece of ****" so they got a Holden.

I'm not saying only Holden fans can be bad and delusional like this guy but I've seen some pretty bad Ford supporters out there too. Normally it should be a friendly rivalry like what Moby Vic said, that's ok but there are a few odd nuts in the pack.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
You could just as easily substitute the word "Ford" for "Holden" in your post and it would suit equally as well...all makes have a wide range of people from those who will defend their particular make, no matter what the faults and problems, and only see a badge, to those who like one sort of car, but equally like many other sorts.
We fall into the second camp...we happen to own a G6E at the moment. Before that we owned a 100 series Landcruiser. Before that was a VX Lumina. At the moment in the yard we also have our '82 Toyota Celica and a Holden WB V8 ute.
What's our next car going to be? Who knows...could be something like a VW Golf GTi or something...

Limit yourself to one badge, and then only maybe one or two types of car with that badge, and you are doing yourself out of some fun times in other types of car...
project??
253 i hope!

are you thinking of selling it?
Closed Thread