Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Default Infringement notice - I wasn't speeding!

Hey all,

I received a speeding fine in the mail today in regards to me traveling Eastlink on the 15th of September. My detected speed was 108km/h and the alleged speed is 106km/h. This is BS! I always sit on the far left lane never going over 100ks. I even have my dash on diagnostic settings to see my exact speed. I'm always around 98ks to 100ks.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I go about fighting this please?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

This thread will last a whole of 5-6 posts.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8GRL
Hey all,

I received a speeding fine in the mail today in regards to me traveling Eastlink on the 15th of September. My detected speed was 108km/h and the alleged speed is 106km/h. This is BS! I always sit on the far left lane never going over 100ks. I even have my dash on diagnostic settings to see my exact speed. I'm always around 98ks to 100ks.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I go about fighting this please?

Thanks in advance!
Your first step is to right a letter and send it to the address for court election on your notice. In the letter you tell the truth. Tell them exactly what you've told us. If you've got a clean record mention that too. Mention that you never speed, that you're a good citizen etc etc, and that fines should be reserved for those who break the law intentionally. It's worked for me in the past. If that doesn't work the next step is to elect to go to court.

My dad knows a barrister, and this guy said that when you get a fine notice, you should always challenge it in court anyway, whether or not you were at fault. Paying the fine is the equivalent to pleading guilty without the system hearing your case.

Hope that helps
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
This thread will last a whole of 5-6 posts.
Why would it last 5-6 posts? Are there censors on this forum who don't like people challenging the government?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kircher
Why would it last 5-6 posts? Are there censors on this forum who don't like people challenging the government?
People will jump on the, "It's not worth fighting", "Damn revenue raisers", "Do the crime, do the time" bandwagon, like always happens.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you seen the picture?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

do you have any other evidence to prove you wern't speeding??
satnav or similar where you can download route, and speed??
Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Have you seen the picture?
I thought the book was miles better.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

XR8GRL do you HAVE a GPS? If you dont borrow one, find out how accurate your speedo actually is.....

I also try to do the right thing but unless I sit on cruise, the foot isnt the most reliable thing to keep still, even unintentionally ...
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Unless you can prove otherwise, pay the fine.

Satnav with trip history will save you.

Oh, just cause your speedo says 98 doesn't mean you're doing 98!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a copy of the picture and go see a solicitor.
Do NOT waste your time listening to all the internet lawyers, get an experienced professional not a keyboard intellectual.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Unless you can prove otherwise, pay the fine.

Satnav with trip history will save you.

Oh, just cause your speedo says 98 doesn't mean you're doing 98!
I disagree, there's no harm in writing in and pleading your case. It's worked for me in the past. I know in NSW if you have a relatively clean history, and the speeding was not excessive they will sometimes let you off, and 6km/h over is by no means excessive.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

What the hell is going on getting fined for only 6 over the limit anyway? What about the 10% ADR on speedo tolerance?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Get a copy of the picture and go see a solicitor.
Do NOT waste your time listening to all the internet lawyers, get an experienced professional not a keyboard intellectual.
There's no harm in writing a letter before you go and see an expensive solicitor that would cost more than the fine itself.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
What the hell is going on getting fined for only 6 over the limit anyway? What about the 10% ADR on speedo tolerance?
Welcome to the People's Demokratik Republik Of Viktoria.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's no harm in writing a letter before you go and see an expensive solicitor that would cost more than the fine itself.
I will quote my own advice, trimmed a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-COUPE
Do NOT waste your time listening to all the internet lawyers,
Say the wrong thing in your letter and you are pooched.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
that doesn't exist in vic

we have from memory 3 k's over then cop a fine

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
She was actually booked/detected for 8Kph over not 6.... they give you 2 kph grace.
XA Coupe is right, if you want to spend the money fighting it get proper legal advice.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and the speeding was not excessive they will sometimes let you off, and 6km/h over is by no means excessive.

I agree. Being booked for just 6% over the posted limit seems very harsh, except in Vic of course where the government does as it pleases to raise as much money for the state coffers as possible! Whats annoying is that Aust standards allows a 10% varience on a car speedos accuracy.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
She was actually booked/detected for 8Kph over not 6.... they give you 2 kph grace.
XA Coupe is right, if you want to spend the money fighting it get proper legal advice.
I realise proper legal advice is valuable, but wouldn't the advice be worth more than the fine itself? As I said, I have written a letter before (no legal advice), pleading my case and it has worked. I live in NSW though, maybe the regime here isn't so totalitarian. No harm in writing a letter. At least it will delay the possible payment of the fine for another month or so.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I realise proper legal advice is valuable, but wouldn't the advice be worth more than the fine itself? As I said, I have written a letter before (no legal advice), pleading my case and it has worked. I live in NSW though, maybe the regime here isn't so totalitarian. No harm in writing a letter. At least it will delay the possible payment of the fine for another month or so.
It costs money to fight...
As XA Coupe says if you write the letter the wrong way you'll loose or harm your position.
You can take 2 positions on this: either an Ethical or Financial one, one is about defending what you believe to be your rights and not about the cost, the other is about the balance of costs of fighting V just copping it...
The choices are there.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
It costs money to fight...
As XA Coupe says if you write the letter the wrong way you'll loose or harm your position.
You can take 2 positions on this: either an Ethical or Financial one, one is about defending what you believe to be your rights and not about the cost, the other is about the balance of costs of fighting V just copping it...
The choices are there.
I thought that you could only potentially harm your position by electing to go to court and losing. They can't change the "sentence" in a negative way without it going to court.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well done to you, my advice stays the same. It's no matter to me what the OP does, just offering the benefit of my experience.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
well done to you, my advice stays the same. It's no matter to me what the OP does, just offering the benefit of my experience.
I agree. It was well done. My careful wording in the letter, and my arguments in said letter resulted in the fine being dropped.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
burnz
VFII SS UTE

my missus got done doing 9 over the police issuing the ticket said write a letter,
so my wife did just that and got off because of her clean driving record.

the reply letter allso stated that if caught again in two years they would reinstate the prevous fine.
N.S.W.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #26
vbomber

was it the wellington bridge camera? alot of people are getting done at 108km/h
Old 01-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Challenge authority at every turn when you feel you have been wronged. Do not be a sheep. It is the bend over and take it attitude of too many that got us into this ridiculous state of draconian speed enforcement in the first place.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Challenge authority at every turn when you feel you have been wronged. Do not be a sheep. It is the bend over and take it attitude of too many that got us into this ridiculous state of draconian speed enforcement in the first place.
Its all fine to stick up for what you believe is right but at what cost??? where do you draw the line? Would you spend $1000 to fight a $165 fine?

Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #29
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

In this case if 100% certain I was in the right depending on how fat my wallet was at the time yes. I have been to the District Court before where I failed and then went higher to the Supreme Court and won on appeal.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #30
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
In this case if 100% certain I was in the right depending on how fat my wallet was at the time yes. I have been to the District Court before where I failed and then went higher to the Supreme Court and won on appeal.
In this case, where you win on appeal, ie. the state is found to be wrong, can you then turn around and sue for loss of income from your wastage of time defending yourself, as well as for the cost of your legal fees? If someone did that successfully they'd become my new hero.
Closed Thread