Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Paint Pencil

Stupid Q # 753

Is there a safe pencil / wax marker that can be used on paint, that can later be removed without damaging or marking the paint permantly ?

Im working on some chips in the front spoiler and need to mark where I'm working.

OT, while out having a coffee, night dreaming ( and thinking of issue's etc ) was thinking about all the problems people have had with getting thier cars serviced at the ford dealers ( or any dealer ) but thinking the larger ones, and came up with this left field thought.

Why don't they incorpoate the waiting area parralel with one side of the workshop and run a big glass wall looking into the workshop.

Now sounds a bit silly but it has multiple effects
1. you dont sit there looking at dusty awards the dealer has been given with the telly blurring away in the corner.

2. allows customers to sit and view thier car being serviced if they wish

3. would lift the standards off all workers ( not saying they are bad at all ) and i bet everything would be neat as a pin

4. this would inturn create a good vibe not only with customers but also workers and thier management with the end result being repeat business as every one is happy

( and the awards would be polished up on view ) and the customer served a .50c ( cost cup of coffee )

I should get some darn sleep anyway paint pencils do they exist ?

_2:

DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

shouldn't think that a pencil used lightly would harm the paint. If you had a dark pencil you should be able to see it.
Old 22-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
wulos
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Stupid Q # 753

Is there a safe pencil / wax marker that can be used on paint, that can later be removed without damaging or marking the paint permantly ?

Im working on some chips in the front spoiler and need to mark where I'm working.

I should get some darn sleep anyway paint pencils do they exist ?

_2:
I know that Turtle wax release a 'coloured polish' product that also includes a 'crayon' to fill in the extra deep scratches(these tend to be only a temp fix - when the crayon wears out/off etc.similar to a wax coat over the top). Could perhaps try normal wax based crayons & see what happens. They 'should' be softer then the rest of the paintwork & easily removed using prepsol or similar. As per usual trial in incospicuous area(or a completely wrecked panel) first.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most dealers already have a Glass area where customers can view their vehicles being worked on, it usually behind the new bookin area that most dealers have incorporated which include hoists for pre service inspection with customers.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

what about ladies eye liner, that looks pretty soft and easy to work with, and should wipe off easy, and not to hard to find a contrasting colour, or matching if you wish to your paint.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Most dealers already have a Glass area where customers can view their vehicles being worked on, it usually behind the new bookin area that most dealers have incorporated which include hoists for pre service inspection with customers.
I knew i should have been sleeping. sounds great

will try a wax crayon and see how i go, cheers
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ford actually brought in that whole "workshop in customer view" program not so long ago, I cant remember the name of it but it was something that all dealers were encouraged to take part it. Meant to give that little bit of reassurance that the mechs actually do a good job, and also gives the customer a chance to take a look at under the car etc with a mech and pick out any faults or problems.
Old 22-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

look at at any upspec dealership garage..... most of trivett classic in sydney and marshalls dealerships have an elevated platform where the customer can clearly and very comfortably watch their car being serviced. it is more like being a city hotel lobby, leather seats, refreshments and that sort of thing. unfortunately it is very expensive to set up and maintain and some workers liken to being under video surveillance which makes some of the shady ones uneasy. but it is very re assuring to the customer who actually wants to know his ride is being cared for and not serviced by monkeys...... :eclipsee_
calais is offline   Reply With Quote