Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Focused

Default Good job Ford marketing!

You don't need to look far to see us Ford fans bitching and moaning about Ford's marketing effort so I thought it would only be fair to complement them when it's due.

Some of you may have experience Ford's outside driving event at he Syd motor show last year? I thought it was great and it was very popular. Well Ford are doing what appears to be a similar thing in Melbourne (near Jeff's shed, where the car show used to be) starting this Friday and running until the 2nd of Feb.

It's great because it get's everyone's attention (driving a Ranger up a steep 45ish degree ramp onto a shipping container will do that), it gets people into Ford cars (and hopefully pleasantly surprising them when they find it's nothing like the last BA XT taxi they were in) and it's all raising money for a good cause (breast cancer foundation).

Check out Ford's website: http://www.ford.com.au/smartdrive?in...martdrive_home
or Ford's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/227448617379128/

Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Good job Ford marketing!

It's a brilliant idea, was waiting for them to bring it to Melbourne. But I will say it again. The issue, from my perspective, isn't the type of marketing they do, it's the lack of it. The last time they saturated the market with adverts was back in the BA days and they sold more than they could make or ship in. With the range they have now being best in their class (Falcon aside, hopefully soon to be fixed) do it again. TV, Internet, radio, print, buses, trams, trains the lot.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford doesn't have a marketing problem, I see and hear Ford adds all the time.

The problem is Ford not marketing Falcon.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Ford doesn't have a marketing problem, I see and hear Ford adds all the time.

The problem is Ford not marketing Falcon.
Just like flogging a dead horse, they will market what sells best.

The fate of the falcon is sealed.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

... And we are back to hating falcon advertising again
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Focused

Oh come on... when will you(s) just accept that the Falcon doesn't sell simply because it's not what people want. Had advertising helped the Commodore? No. Has it helped the Aurion? No. Did it help the 380? No.
Half of the medium sized cars (which are essentially Falcon size) are selling rather poorly as well.

Move on, get over it and say something constructive for once.

Honestly, comparing the current market to back when the BA was launched and stating that the only difference was advertising just demonstrates you have very, very little understanding of the Australian automotive market...

*shakes head in frustration*

end rant/ - it's 30 degrees inside at the moment...
Old 15-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
Oh come on... when will you(s) just accept that the Falcon doesn't sell simply because it's not what people want. Had advertising helped the Commodore? No. Has it helped the Aurion? No. Did it help the 380? No.
Half of the medium sized cars (which are essentially Falcon size) are selling rather poorly as well.

Move on, get over it and say something constructive for once.

Honestly, comparing the current market to back when the BA was launched and stating that the only difference was advertising just demonstrates you have very, very little understanding of the Australian automotive market...

*shakes head in frustration*

end rant/ - it's 30 degrees inside at the moment...
Its a bit of a joke isn't it, the notion that blanket tv advertising would bring Falcon sales back to respectable numbers.

I don't see a problem with the amount of advertising Ford do. I see Ford ads a fair bit in inner Melbourne - sides of buses and trams, billboards. I dont watch tv so cant comment there - and thats another point, who does watch tv? It's no where near as an effective medium as it used to be.

Also, products that are at the end of their product life cycle never have advertising dollars thrown at them - its common practice.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I see and hear Focus adds non stop.............
Old 15-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Cuyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I see and hear Focus adds non stop.............
Yes and its the only new Ford you see out on the roads . Oddly they are actually a pretty big car now.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I shudder every time I see that guy point out and wave to another focus driver...
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Its a bit of a joke isn't it, the notion that blanket tv advertising would bring Falcon sales back to respectable numbers.

I don't see a problem with the amount of advertising Ford do. I see Ford ads a fair bit in inner Melbourne - sides of buses and trams, billboards. I dont watch tv so cant comment there - and thats another point, who does watch tv? It's no where near as an effective medium as it used to be.

Also, products that are at the end of their product life cycle never have advertising dollars thrown at them - its common practice.
No it's not a joke at all. Look through some of the threads here (or Godforbid you make the mistake of reading Ford Aus's Facebook page) and you'll see plenty of people suggesting that the only reason the Falcon isn't selling is because of the lack of TV ads.
But otherwise I agree with you. Barely anyone watches TV any more and the ads on billboards and websites work far better (which is exactly what Ford are doing).
Old 15-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
I shudder every time I see that guy point out and wave to another focus driver...
Yeah I've seen that ad now and agree that it's quite painful.
Old 15-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Can we focus our attention and posts only on the FIRST post all other griping belongs elsewhere.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
rdmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Just like flogging a dead horse, they will market what sells best.

The fate of the falcon is sealed.

They market fiesta constantly however Falcon outsells it constantly. Your logic doesn't stack up.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
They market fiesta constantly however Falcon outsells it constantly. Your logic doesn't stack up.
But the costs of the Falcon are much greater for Ford Australia as its local sales have to cover all the development and production costs plus make a profit. Easier to make a profit on a car the local division does not have to pay to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
It's a brilliant idea, was waiting for them to bring it to Melbourne. But I will say it again. The issue, from my perspective, isn't the type of marketing they do, it's the lack of it. The last time they saturated the market with adverts was back in the BA days and they sold more than they could make or ship in. With the range they have now being best in their class (Falcon aside, hopefully soon to be fixed) do it again. TV, Internet, radio, print, buses, trams, trains the lot.
So the word about Falcons and Commodores didn't get out in Australia?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Now that is interesting!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not volume that counts, but profit. Which car makes Ford Australia more money? I'm willing to bet that it isn't the Falcon, or else they wouldn't be stopping production of it.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #18
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford need to advertise the features of their cars..not just one thing. Look at Isuzu MUZ ad, Toyota Corolla ad, VW Family ad, Commodore ad. etc..Kuga only has the kick open tailgate shown, that was on Titanium only, now on Trend...haven't seen an Ecosport ad ????
Old 15-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Ford need to advertise the features of their cars..not just one thing. Look at Isuzu MUZ ad, Toyota Corolla ad, VW Family ad, Commodore ad. etc..Kuga only has the kick open tailgate shown, that was on Titanium only, now on Trend...haven't seen an Ecosport ad ????
All the Focus ads are like that, they show one feature of the car but an advert full of stupid acting.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyper View Post
Yes and its the only new Ford you see out on the roads . Oddly they are actually a pretty big car now.
not really , i see new falcons fairly frequently, but i see many more fiesta's and rangers than anything else in the ford range.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #21
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good effort by Ford, but it won't satisfy everyone though, due to the lack of any Falcon mentioning.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #22
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
But the costs of the Falcon are much greater for Ford Australia as its local sales have to cover all the development and production costs plus make a profit. Easier to make a profit on a car the local division does not have to pay to produce.

So the word about Falcons and Commodores didn't get out in Australia?
I didn't mention Advertising Falcon specifically, all I said was BA days, 2002! You saw Ford everywhere. The brand was in people's faces everywhere. More ideas like this one in Sydney and Melbourne is what they need, taking the brand to the people. Never said I hate ford advertising, quite the opposite. They just need more of it.

I have a good understanding of the auto market, no expert of course, but I follow it closely. I also have a good understanding about numbers and when your market share is falling year after year after year something is going wrong. This is just my opinion of course but Toyota is the king of getting its brand out there. Every year for 26 or so weeks they shove their brand in front of an average crowd of 33,400 across 9 games of AFL. That's just under 7 million people a year not including finals seeing the Toyota brand. They even promote specific models on the turf! Ford have free run of Skilled Stadium and they used to have several cars there for fans to check out but no more, they even used to put them at the SCG inside the stands where the fans sit but they stopped that there too. The AFL is just an example of course, but being the largest sporting code in the land it's an important one that they dont seem to be capatalising on.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
From January 17 to February 2, Ford is hosting the Ultimate SMART Drive event at Southbank Precinct in Melbourne and Disney PIXAR’s Cars Truck Tour is joining the fun too!
Facebook pics below - if you cant see them then you have facebook blocked at work and anyway get back to work lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #24
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I didn't mention Advertising Falcon specifically, all I said was BA days, 2002! You saw Ford everywhere. The brand was in people's faces everywhere. More ideas like this one in Sydney and Melbourne is what they need, taking the brand to the people. Never said I hate ford advertising, quite the opposite. They just need more of it.

I have a good understanding of the auto market, no expert of course, but I follow it closely. I also have a good understanding about numbers and when your market share is falling year after year after year something is going wrong. This is just my opinion of course but Toyota is the king of getting its brand out there. Every year for 26 or so weeks they shove their brand in front of an average crowd of 33,400 across 9 games of AFL. That's just under 7 million people a year not including finals seeing the Toyota brand. They even promote specific models on the turf! Ford have free run of Skilled Stadium and they used to have several cars there for fans to check out but no more, they even used to put them at the SCG inside the stands where the fans sit but they stopped that there too. The AFL is just an example of course, but being the largest sporting code in the land it's an important one that they dont seem to be capatalising on.
Ford do use AFL to advertise. Look at the Geelong Football Club. Ford is the major sponsor, and has the logo on the back of their jumpers. Why would they want to flood the AFL more with advertising.

I do not see Ford having an advertising problem, as I said way back on my first post, I see Ford add all the time.

The problem people seem to have is that they think not advertising Falcon means no Ford advertising. People are blind when it comes to Falcon all they see is the Falcon and nothing more. Just look at the recent announcement by Ford, when they said no more Falcon. Many people thought Ford were leaving Australia.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #25
superfly
Go the Hogster!

It's great fun going over the ramp in the Ranger! It certainly shows what the car can do! I've done it twice now at Movieworld on the Gold Coast. They were there again last week. This time they also showcased the autostop feature in the Fiesta. That's quite nifty.

They also did this late last year in the city in King George Square.
Old 16-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Ford do use AFL to advertise. Look at the Geelong Football Club. Ford is the major sponsor, and has the logo on the back of their jumpers. Why would they want to flood the AFL more with advertising.

I do not see Ford having an advertising problem, as I said way back on my first post, I see Ford add all the time.

The problem people seem to have is that they think not advertising Falcon means no Ford advertising. People are blind when it comes to Falcon all they see is the Falcon and nothing more. Just look at the recent announcement by Ford, when they said no more Falcon. Many people thought Ford were leaving Australia.
Here here.

Thanks for those pics, Sorted. I'd be curious to know what temp it would get up to in those cars up on the shipping containers. I just hope Ford have plenty of other cars on display (at ground level) that people can crawl all over...
Old 16-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #27
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Let us know how it goes!
Old 16-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #28
Focused

Here's a video for those interstate (or locals that can't stand this weather )
Great event and a great cause! Good job Ford!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lymH8hPkns
Old 16-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #29
munners

I saw Ford promoting the Ultimate Smart Drive on Facebook and though it looked good. I read the comments though and most of them are "boo hoo there's no falcon, I'll never buy another Ford, you're un-Australian"

Seriously, why do people even bother posting that rubbish? As my Gran used to say, come down of your cross, somebody needs the wood!
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They actually had this thing (all though I think it was a smaller version) at the V8's in Homebush.

It nice to get people into the cars, as most people (I think) would be going to this thing as just a "bit of fun"..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post