Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default would you buy a g8e

hey guys was just shooting the proverbial with a mate and we were talking about a g8e as we have both owned v8 fairmont ghias and loved them

if ford ever buit another luxury v8 sedan would you buy one I wouldn't mind a g6e spec car but with maybe 315 coyote or maybe some sort of na motor from the ford range if they did make them would you buy one i know I would

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: would you buy a g8e

Most definitely. Even though I bleed red if Ford offered a G8E I would definitely consider one. Always liked the G6E/ETs, but wish Ford would make a V8 version. My favourite FGs by far.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't buy one but I'm sure others would.

I think the Falcon has a better chance competing in the luxury/performance saloon market where there are precious few players, especially under $100k, than it does in the economy/fleet market (ie ecoboost) in which there are squillions of competitors that are mostly cheaper.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The major factor would come down to price. If it was around 50k plus. I would rather buy a FPV GS/GT. If it was priced around $40000 then maybe.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
The major factor would come down to price. If it was around 50k plus. I would rather buy a FPV GS/GT. If it was priced around $40000 then maybe.
And this is the problem.

A GS is an XR8 which is an XR6T with a V8. It is $10k dearer than an XR6T

A G6ET is an XR6T with a bit more luxury and is about $10k dearer than a XR6T

A G8E would be a GS with a bit more luxury and would therefore be about the same price as a GT.

There was a V8 Fairmont Ghia for years which hardly sold for what ever reason but the two most often quoted were it was too slow with the 230kw 3V engine and it was too expensive is that it was quite a bit dearer than the I6 Ghia and XR6T and even for a while the XR8.

So, if Ford magically made a G8E that used a N/A V8 and it sold for exactly the same price as a G6ET ($55k) but was much slower, used more fuel and cost more to register I suspect that not many would buy one, NEW that is.

If they make one that had the GS engine but cost the same as a GT without the LSD, GT badge or brembos then again I suspect that it would be the same as above.

On the other hand, right now you can buy a luxury interior V8 with all the class of the G6ET and all the goodies of the GT-P.

It is called the GT-E.

No, it does not cost $38k drive away but then neither did any V8 Falcon sedan of any type in the last at least 15 years let alone a high end luxury model.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Wouldn't that be the GT-E?

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
scottyg938 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The new VF Calais V V8 will probably retail for around the 63 kay mark. I can't see too many Ford supportors willing to pay that sort of money for a G8E. May aswell go buy a new GT for that sort of money (which most would prefer to, even the older guys due to the GT heritage).

I think we all need to accept the fact that Ford will be sticking to the current scheme.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Considering the I6 is an Aussie-made engine, id still buy a G6E Turbo...
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would buy a 50k naturally aspirated coyote v8...... Oh wait that would be a xr8 now wouldnt it
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

considering i own a G8, i might got put an E badge on it, then i can market it as a G8E

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

What was it, 129 people who bought a BFII Fairmont Ghia V8?
A similar thing would happen to a G8E.
Old 14-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Ford_convert

Yes I would. I have a G6E and have often thought a V8 in it would top it off.
Ford_convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I basically did in a GT-E, but of course this is top of the wozza FPV with the big six-pot Brembos and all the fruit and trimmings, the highest spec car Ford make. You would be talking something more along the lines of something like this except with normal suspension, povvo brakes and perhaps even like the G6ET no slippery diff (aghast).

Last edited by mcnews; 14-02-2013 at 04:37 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_convert View Post
Yes I would. I have a G6E and have often thought a V8 in it would top it off.
But would you have paid $70k instead of $50k?
Old 14-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
And this is the problem.

No, it does not cost $38k drive away but then neither did any V8 Falcon sedan of any type in the last at least 15 years let alone a high end luxury model.
Exactly what always happens....

I want this, I want that, I want, I want, I want..... Oh wait - thats the price??

The majority of people would not buy a G8E as described above, the same way that nobody (read:very low numbers) bought the TL50, BA/BF Ghia V8s, GT-E, and Fairlane/LTDs.

Those cars got killed off because the 100 odd people who stump up the money do not provide enough to keep that model viable.

You want a V8 Luxury Sedan? Take a look at the Chrysler 300 range. Sure it ain't Australian (most of the cars around here aren't) but it will tick most of your boxes...

Or buy a low-mile second hand car and enjoy it?

*Please note: I drive an AU V8 Ghia as my daily... So I do know where your coming from - just with a smaller budget.... *
Old 14-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Calais-V sells between SS-V and Clubsport so there is obviously a market. The only issue is how does Ford make that market their own?
They need to show they make a quality car that isn't an alternative, but the first choice.
I'd have a G8E, actually since its a 5 litre they can reintroduce a subtle TS50 namepplate as a one off for me
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Probably not knowing it would cost me $1000 a year to keep it registered, not to mention insurance costs.
Old 14-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE View Post
Calais-V sells between SS-V and Clubsport so there is obviously a market. The only issue is how does Ford make that market their own?
They need to show they make a quality car that isn't an alternative, but the first choice.
I'd have a G8E, actually since its a 5 litre they can reintroduce a subtle TS50 namepplate as a one off for me
The G6ET sells between the XR6T and the GT and yes there is a market as G6ETs sell quite well, in fact far better than any luxury Ford V8 EVER.

The question is, should Holden introduce a turbo 6 to compete with Ford?
Think of all the market share they are losing by forcing all the T6 enthusiasts to buy a Ford or settle for an inferior V8.......
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's that important you could just buy a GS with leather and swap the bodykit, wheels and headlights for G6E ones.

Won't void your new warranty and now you have a supercharged G8E.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford already offers Ecoboost and Diesel Mondeo, plus Territory for a wide range of fleet, family and value buyers. Falcon is lost in the crowd and needs to move up a notch and stop fighting over the scraps at the cheaper end of the larger vehicle market.

So yes, G8E is a vital long-term addition unless you want Falcon swallowed up by the Mondeo/Fusion onslaught.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

In short no, not for me thanks.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #22
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
The G6ET sells between the XR6T and the GT and yes there is a market as G6ETs sell quite well, in fact far better than any luxury Ford V8 EVER.

The question is, should Holden introduce a turbo 6 to compete with Ford?
Think of all the market share they are losing by forcing all the T6 enthusiasts to buy a Ford or settle for an inferior V8.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit Ute
Yeah that's where it gets parked most days, um a bit of gopro shooting of a Subaru... Not really a ford unfortunately haha

Alex come for a drive in it? Actually you drive ;) then you will want an f6!
I don't care what Holden do regarding their 6 market, never have never will. I am someone who has always owned a V8 purely coz I like them (mostly HSV/ Holden). However if I were to buy a 6 it would be from Ford, but that's not the question here.

Ford have a great V8 in their hands, they should use it more. Restrict power if it concerns the wealthy buyers but either way just use it. Using the same power plant works, An example is Holden and HSV using the same LS1 when it was introduced in 1999 right up to when they separated with LS2 in 2005. You could buy a poverty pack executive V8 with 6 speed for $38k or buy an SV99 with same engine and box for $75k, it was a buyers market to suit most budgets. Sure the exec was killed off (morphed into SV8 and later SS) but its still around.
So too are their luxury cars.

Problem with Ford is they put everything into the "too hard basket" instead of reinventing themselves to keep what loyal customers they still have. If someone wants a G8E then build them one! they have everything there so use it or lose it, which they have. They lose affordable V8 sales to Holden and everything else to imported cars.

Ive always wanted the Ford Falcon V8 to survive because I want a choice. Like I said I've mainly bought Holden or HSV new, and that was due to not knowing how good the ford product was or may have been. And that is their fault because they downplayed their image for far too long and became boring even if the product itself wasn't.

Rather than add to the bland image ford had created for themselves I would like to add any V8 hopes to a sedan, ute or wagon wish list for a return regardless how silly it mat seem.
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Wouldn't it be good if you could order any combination car that you wanted from Ford. EG: for example- A Territory with a GT 335 engine, manual trans,lsd. Any combination you pick. That would be great. Or a festiva with an xr6 turbo motor for laughs.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Dunno. It's a good question. If the G8E could be the best that Ford can make, then I might consider it.

The BA V8 Fairmont Ghia had a slower engine than the XR8. When I was comparing them side by side, the Ghia was slower, didn't have LSD and didn't handle as well. If the Ghia had the same engineering package as the XR8 then I would have swung the other way.

If any G8E was a GS with all the interior gidgets, then yes, I'd give it some thought. But if it was a soft, no LSD, slow version of the GS - then nup, I'd stick with a GS. But then, I'd only really be in the market for a GS if it had XR8 and Ford badges on it anyway.

Lukeyson
Old 14-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Ford already offers Ecoboost and Diesel Mondeo, plus Territory for a wide range of fleet, family and value buyers. Falcon is lost in the crowd and needs to move up a notch and stop fighting over the scraps at the cheaper end of the larger vehicle market.

So yes, G8E is a vital long-term addition unless you want Falcon swallowed up by the Mondeo/Fusion onslaught.
But that is exactly what Ford has been doing for sometime now? Haven't you been watching or noticed? Getting out of the povo end of the market, heading for the higher spec more expensive private market. You are hard pressed now to actually buy a Falcon and it is also a fact that the name Falcon has all but disappeared on the bum. Really to call them Falcons these days is stretching it as the G series, XR & GT have taken over from the Falcon 500. Ford still say 'Falcon G6E' in literature but in reality? They are not fighting over the 'scraps' but want the private market bad! The Falcon XT is about it now and not many exist.

No I wouldn't buy a G8E .... personally pointless as there is the FPV. As has been touched on, price will not make it a contender, N/A V8's will not get investment through FoA, there is the GS, GT & GT-E. They cannot dumb down the G8E ... everyone would whinge about why have a V8 without brakes, diff, power etc and everyone wants everything but no one will pay for it.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Defiantly right now if you want v8 power with luxury you have to go for the Gte, would be good to have a cheaper version.
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotGT View Post
You want a V8 Luxury Sedan? Take a look at the Chrysler 300 range. Sure it ain't Australian (most of the cars around here aren't) but it will tick most of your boxes...
Problem with that is they dont sell them here anymore (new that is). Only V8 powered 300 available now is the SRT-8 which is FPV money.

I personally would love to own a G8E spec car with that big bonnet bulge. But really I would be very happy with a G6ET.

Like most people I won't stump up the money so I don't make requests on anything I dont have any intention of buying (new). I think the current Falcon range is pretty good as it stands drivetrain wise. Just needs to be better equipped to compete in the niche large cars now occupy in the market.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #28
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder why people are happy to pay 60k+ for a holden calais v 8 but just a v8 ford and the wallets and backsides instantly close
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wouldn't buy any new Falcon unless they fix up the issue with the seat and steering wheel.

The seat is too damn high, the steering wheel is too low, and ain't nobody got time fo' dat.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Not for me thanks. Whilst I love the soundtrack of the V8 the thing would need to be as fast or faster than the G6E-T, which would mean the 335 engine. Sales for that car would be a poofteenth of the boosted 6, as buyers would struggle to justify the extra coin for the 8.

Quote: