Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Default Shooting the Glock 17...

Went to Lone Rangers today and did some shooting with the Glock 9mm.

Just love that pistol, very light and simple to use and I found it more accurate than the Beretta 92F...have also fired the USP45 with flash hider but it was just too bulky for my liking.

Some pics below, this was at 15 yards...(quality is a bit poor, no flash on my camera phone)

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I am going to have to check that place out in 2 weeks. I never knew a place like that existed in Perth. Can you shoot straight away or do you have to go through training etc?
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Don't know much about hand guns but spent some time at an indoor range in the US. Was using a friends Glock and a Smith and Wesson. I thought the Glock was pretty crappy compared to the S&W.

This is the Smith and Wesson. Nice gun and a lot more accurate than the Glock
Old 10-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Personally I have big mitts not little girly hands so prefer the larger american semi 'range , I run a Norinco framed .40 with a lot of s+w custom bits and a model28 highway patrolman in .375mag ,heavy steady and both very accurate .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin Fresh
I am going to have to check that place out in 2 weeks. I never knew a place like that existed in Perth. Can you shoot straight away or do you have to go through training etc?
When I signed up (2005), I had to do a short training course with a .22 pistol/revolver but I went with my brother today (his 1st time) and they let him straight in with any gun he wanted.

Website here http://www.lrsc.net.au/

It's a small shooting range but they are very organised and safety conscious.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glocks are very reliable and accurate but require slightly different handling to the average singles action 1911 clone like that S&W or a double action like a 92F.

Once you get used to the long trigger pull and slow recoil you can put all the rounds very close to each other.

While they will never be as accurate as a highly tuned 1911 they will also never be as tempremental or intollerant of projectile or case types.

Have fun while you can, the good old days are gone and it is getting harder and harder to find places to play.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
When I signed up (2005), I had to do a short training course with a .22 pistol/revolver but I went with my brother today (his 1st time) and they let him straight in with any gun he wanted.

Website here http://www.lrsc.net.au/

It's a small shooting range but they are very organised and safety conscious.
When we first went, not long after they opened, the guns were not tied down.
There were a couple of people that created issues attempting to hurt themselves resulting in a large loss on business.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Barry_v
rocknrolla

never seen the guns tied down like that before... does it give it a virtua-cop feel?
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
1970galaxie
Fat 460

When I went there the first time, we did a small handling course and fired .22s first.

Since then, there have been a couple of suicides, so the guns are now wired down to prevent any further deaths, so no handling courses need to be held anymore.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never been a fan of the glock, being a light and powerful, the recoil requires a completely different set of marksmanship principles. That, and the ejection opening being on top the weapon?! means you have hot shell casings raining down on you....

The Browning 9mm, which is the primary in service pistol for the ADF is a far better piece of kit. Good weighting, smooth operation and stupidly simple to strip and maintain, IMHO a good example of a sidearm.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I've been once a long time ago and they allowed 2 people in the booth at the same time and the guns were not tied down at all. This was before the suicide.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
I've never been a fan of the glock, being a light and powerful, the recoil requires a completely different set of marksmanship principles. That, and the ejection opening being on top the weapon?! means you have hot shell casings raining down on you....

The Browning 9mm, which is the primary in service pistol for the ADF is a far better piece of kit. Good weighting, smooth operation and stupidly simple to strip and maintain, IMHO a good example of a sidearm.
The Glock is also stupidly simple to strip, although I know nothing about the Browning, I am very familiar and intimate with the Glock
Once you have those skills it is very accurate close range. Never had an issue with hot shell casings raining down on me either...hehe
Old 12-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
stupa

Try the HS2000, its nice
stupa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #14
Gaz
Got Ghia?

shot a .45 glock in phuket.. (and some 9mm SMG - can't remember model) in the middle of a shopping centre! Good fun to break up the shopping lol.

Was surprised how heavy it was that's for sure.

Really should get down to LR for a go.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 AM   #15
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Never had an issue with hot shell casings raining down on me either...hehe
Same here, fired 60 rounds that day and no incoming shell casings.

Would have been great if the guns were not tied down though, as you have to compensate for it...

Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Same here, fired 60 rounds that day and no incoming shell casings.
The Glock I was shooting was spitting casing up in the air. Was getting hit on top of my head, even had one go down the back of my jacket and they are a bit hot.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
The Glock I was shooting was spitting casing up in the air. Was getting hit on top of my head, even had one go down the back of my jacket and they are a bit hot.
They do tend to spit the casings about, I've had a few tuck inside my elbows in the middle of a shoot.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
The very early Glocks did eject fairly vertically. This was correct in the first revision (v2) and Glock did offer a free upgrade for anyone who had the original.

I have owned dozens of glocks over the years in .380, 9x19, 9x21, 40sw, 10mm & 45acp, models 17, 17C, 17L, 17LC, 19, 19C, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 34 & 35
I have won many comps with them and used to carry a 19 then a 26 for personal protection.

Having shot almost every type of handgun available in Australia (up until 2002) I would rather use a glock in almost any situation over "wonder 9s" or traditional S/A 1911 based pistols including the Browning GP35.

The only time I would choose a 1911 style would be if it were hand built and used in controlled competition where I would be firing no more than 30 or so rounds before I could clean it and all of the ammo was hand made and tailored to the pistol. In that situation they are supreme.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #19
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The very early Glocks did eject fairly vertically. This was correct in the first revision (v2) and Glock did offer a free upgrade for anyone who had the original.
Don't doubt your experience. It was funny as a gun newbie to maintain handling discipline when you get a hot casing go down the back of your jacket and lodge in your lower back. Your first instinct is to drop what your holding and get that thing out.

The S&W I got to use did have a bit of work I was told. The Glock was just for "home defence" so was not well maintained. Both were .45. You mentioned earlier the trigger is different and that may have been what affected me. The S&W was very (too) light but it was just the lightest squeeze and very accurate. I had not trouble with targets at the max distance in the indoor range. The glock, for me, was a less accurate but I still scored well.

We were actually having a laugh about the accuracy of the locals. The gun shop owner was talking about people's obsession with large caliber guns and how a lot will develop a "flinch" from years of shooting them.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Yes the Glock is a very reliable, dependable pistol. It's really the AK47 of handguns. I remember an Australian shooter (the monthly SSAA nembership mag) where they froze one it a block if ice, completely degreased/oiled, put it in water in the sand at the bottom, ran over it, and after each test, it fired, reloaded & cocked without fault.

If you want pin point precision, get a custom built, modified, & tuned 1911 replica.

If you want dependability, reliability, & usability, buy a Glock.

You may not be impressed but it's just like a car, once you get to know it, what it can do, & it's limitations, then you can become more accurate with your groupings, at various distances.

I've always wanted a glock, a custom 1911 replica, a H&K mark 23, & two desert eagles (sill unsure on what calibre, & colours I want after 10 years). But for the moment, I will just stick to my revolvers I use for single action events.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before you buy a desert eagle make sure you fire a few hundred rounds.

They are very heavy, almost impossible to c-ock (bloody swear filter) with the hammer forward and work on gas recoil so do not like lead projectiles (ammo is expensive, even reloads).

I had a 357 and a 44 and while they were fun I got over them rather quickly.....
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Before you buy a desert eagle make sure you fire a few hundred rounds.

They are very heavy, almost impossible to c-ock (bloody swear filter) with the hammer forward and work on gas recoil so do not like lead projectiles (ammo is expensive, even reloads).

I had a 357 and a 44 and while they were fun I got over them rather quickly.....
I know they are hard to c-ock (your right on the bloody swear filter). I held my first one when I was 15 at Gold Coast Shooters Supplies, being used to the Browning Buckmark, & anthoner of our .22 semi Autos, I went to pull the slide back using the typical thumb & first finger grip. To no avail. I actually wound up putting my whole hand on it & pushing the slide back.

I know they are heavy. Nearly 2kg when empty. The there's the 10in barrel version..... But the H&K I want which is a .45 is 2.2kg when empty. But bith are over the 2k mark. I wont be affording them for quite sometime yet. Depending on how a few things pan out in the year, I might get a glock & get her worked.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
3vXT

I've got a usp compact in 9mm for shootouts with gangsters and a normal usp with a few custom bits (but its not a usp custom) in .40 for shooting at the moon. The glocks have always worked well for me but there is just something I don't like about them. The HK's feel comfortable in my hand despite the grip angle and that comfort and familiarity means they get the nod from me over anything else. I have found more accuracy with my usp's but then i've used them a lot more than the others so that's to be expected. I've never had either brand give me trouble with loading issues etc... even using factory ammunition 99% of the time.

Bottom line for me is that i'm more comfortable with the usp's and they do exactly what I want from them 100% of the time. I can't fault them at all and am seriously considering another one if I can get the money together.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post