Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Hillbilly F Truck

Default Stop Potential BSE (Mad Cow) Beef Imports to Australia

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...f-imports.html

Quote:
On 20 October 2009, the Australian Government announced a change in Australia’s BSE (Mad Cow) food safety policy for imported beef and beef products. This means from the 1st March 2010 beef imports will be allowed from countries affected by mad cow disease which clearly pose potential health risks.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would we import beef when we produce a vastly superior product right here at home?
Old 26-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Thanks Hillbilly, I was going to create a thread about this when I got home. I'm sure Adelaide listeners to 5aa will be across this next big threat to Australia.

What we have is a federal government removing restrictions on the importation of beef from countries that have had mad cow disease. This decision if allowed removes australia's clean green image and puts our entire beef industry at risk.

This decision is based on lobbying from multi national corporations and a desire to allow unimpeded trade. No risk assessment had been performed on the effects of allowing possibly infected meat into this country!!

I implore everyone to write to your federal member and voice your dissaproval.
Old 26-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF

I implore everyone to write to your federal member and voice your dissaproval.
...and sign the petition on the above link. We only have until Sunday 28th to act.
Old 26-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i heard on the radio about this last week . appearently it was another wonderful deal that was signed and sealed by the "fabulous" howard government as they were being thrown out the door.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Why would we import beef when we produce a vastly superior product right here at home?
Exactly. Apparently we export 65% of our beef, so we don't need to import inferior, possibly diseased meat from overseas.

Not to mention what it will do to the Australian beef industry. What country would buy the 65% of exports then? We all saw what the equine flu did to the horse racing industry!!

Last edited by Hillbilly F Truck; 26-02-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 26-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

We are also unlikely to have the quarantine measures in place to detect a diseased carcass ( japan checks every single carcass), all this on top of our inadequate labling laws which means your next meat pie could say made in australia, yet contains contaminated meat from Canada or the us.
Old 26-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
We are also unlikely to have the quarantine measures in place to detect a diseased carcass ( japan checks every single carcass), all this on top of our inadequate labling laws which means your next meat pie could say made in australia, yet contains contaminated meat from Canada or the us.
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...IL-5HE7Y7?open

Quote:
Does it affect humans? There is strong evidence that BSE can cause the human condition known as variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD), which is a fatal brain disease. The evidence suggests that vCJD is caused by people eating BSE-infected beef or beef product. Milk and milk products are not thought to be carriers of the BSE agent. It is thought that vCJD is not spread from person to person. From 1995 through to December 2008, a total of 166 human cases of vCJD were reported in the United Kingdom, of which 163 have died. 43 cases have been confirmed outside the UK. One of the major concerns about vCJD is the long incubation period. Current thinking is that it may be 20 years or even longer. Currently, there is no cure for vCJD.
Quote:
BSE is a significant threat to human health. There is very strong evidence that consumption of meat or meat product from a BSE infected animal can cause a similar disease in humans, known as variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease or vCJD. There is currently no cure for vCJD and it is a fatal disease. Because of this significant threat to human health, an outbreak of BSE in Australia could seriously affect both our export and domestic markets for beef and beef products. In turn, this could have a major effect on jobs and businesses in the beef industry and its various support industries. It could also have a significant effect on our tourism and hospitality industries. Unlike Foot and Mouth Disease, which spreads very quickly if not controlled, BSE spreads relatively slowly. The problem, however, is that both BSE and its human equivalent, vCJD, have an extraordinarily long incubation period. This means that, for example, where a human is diagnosed with vCJD, he or she may have caught it from eating infected beef up to twenty years earlier. This makes tracing of the disease source much more difficult.

Last edited by Hillbilly F Truck; 26-02-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 26-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

The incubation time for this disease is the really scary thing. By the time it manifests itself in humans the current government will be long gone. And our beef industry will be brought down to the same level as the rest of the world. Our clean image will be removed and so will our market advantage.
Old 26-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

This is crazy, but seriously why does anyone buy imported food.

Why is there any demand for this?
Old 26-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

To think I cannot donate blood for I was in U.K at the time of the scare..

Yet they intend to bring this stuff in ???

Why is lately it seems farmers and anything to do with auto industry [racing, drags etc] seems to be undesirable...
We are importing way too much food now !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
This is crazy, but seriously why does anyone buy imported food.

Why is there any demand for this?
The demand is from the mulitnational companies, woolies etc. They are able to use our pathetic labeling laws to make the product look australian.

As long as 50% of the cost of getting the product to your plate is garnered in Australia then it can be called Australian. That cost could be in the packaging. You wouldn't even know it was imported meat.
Old 26-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunatly the way our tax system seems to be structured is cheaper to import from the 3rd world than buy local. Look at the auto industry, how many jap brands now make their cars in thailand and taiwon because theres no import dutys relating to products from these countrys.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Ridiculous... and it appears it's equally as ridiculous that the labeling of a beef product as Australian can be put on a product that wasn't reared in Australia.

Congratulations. You have successfully signed the petition:
Stop Potential BSE (Mad Cow) Beef Imports to Australia.

You are signer #860 [?]
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
gtfpv
GT

australia do this kind of thing regularly . it aint right
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #16
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

How stupid, do they not care about this risks this meat poses to us? Idiots!! :
Old 26-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #17
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
How stupid, do they not care about this risks this meat poses to us? Idiots!! :
if you believe the minister responsible (Crean) then there is a negligble risk. Not worth worrying about! Never mind that there hasn't actually been a risk assesement. Good to see the senate may be forcing the government to at least have a risk assesment before approving this policy change. All other partys including the coalition are opposed to this change.

I think they care more about the economic benifits of increased trade than they do about your health. And care more about how they are viewed by the world than any impacts on our health and industry.

The point about being able to give blood is quite valid, this disease can remain dormant for decades and is almost impossible to screen. You could give infected blood and there is no way of knowing till it's too late. But that appears to be a risk the Feds are willing to take.
Old 26-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
fg_nitro

Do they still feed animals over in europe and the US ground animal left overs. Watched an interesting doco regarding rendering plants, blood and bone and bone meal feed. Quite gross.
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Its more likely because its part of a deal to keep multi-national companies (and their governments) onside with the global free trade agreements. Same thing for the indo grown bananas, prawns, fish etc that "have" to be imported. Farms in indoenesa are owned by american interests, say no more. I dare say its the same sort of stuff for this and other imported items.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

894 signed so far
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #21
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

U.S owned ?? That'll be all our fast foods...
The burgers are better at ------ j---s....
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 27-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #22
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
U.S owned ?? That'll be all our fast foods...
The burgers are better at ------ j---s....
Burger Jings?
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #23
deanp100

Speaking from experience in meat import matters, this sort of proposed import happens an awful lot. A country puts pressure on a govt asking for an import protocol to allow free trade for something they want to sell. Our risk assessment guys look at it and say" Yes you can bring it in providing you provide enough documentation. This documentation usually needs to be endorsed by the exporting country authorities. We may ask for the meat to be certified that there have been no cases of BSE in the UK for 10 years prior to export. No UK vet will certify to it, so it never happens. However we have done our part by offering an import protocol. The same thing happened a few years ago with Thailand chicken. AQIS asked that it was certified to be cooked until it was charcoal. Exporter said"We can't do that, it will be ruined. AQIS says" Sorry we tried to help you. When you can make it charcoal we will talk. Same thing for bananas etc. I wouldn't be worried about it. The risk assessment team are not idiots. I know some of them and they are good old school, very experienced vets.
deanp100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #24
nstg8a

lol, same sort of deal that australia refuses to allow imports of nz apples, because they are concerned of bringing in blight.
only problem is, its already here lol
the real reason is because the big apple growers here want to protect their market share, and continue to flog off sub standard fruit to unwitting consumers.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
lol, same sort of deal that Australia refuses to allow imports of nz apples, because they are concerned of bringing in blight.
only problem is, its already here lol
the real reason is because the big apple growers here want to protect their market share, and continue to flog off sub standard fruit to unwitting consumers.
Not wrong I often wander why you can buy nice fruit either in the country or NZ etc.. YET never seem to buy nice apples etc from the local market..
Apples when in season seem to be from cold storage ??
The fresh food people especially...
The mark up on food items is amazing also.. Check the prices paid to farmers compared to retail...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 27-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #26
vik351
Banned

Got my sig...

I cant believe how dumb kevin 747 is...and the rest of his mobb : : :

I, as a dumb arrsee plumber have to sign off in triplicate all my jobs...I am held responsible...

These clowns get paid to wreck our country...!!!

And are not held responsible...

vik... Just ask Peta...!!!
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
scoupedy

This already happens when we get beef from Brazil- Brazil is suppose to be free from MCD but they neibouring countries smuggle cattle over the borders, as there MCD status (they have it) means a reduced price compared to Brazil this has been going on for years.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Not wrong I often wander why you can buy nice fruit either in the country or NZ etc.. YET never seem to buy nice apples etc from the local market..
Apples when in season seem to be from cold storage ??
The fresh food people especially...
The mark up on food items is amazing also.. Check the prices paid to farmers compared to retail...
fruit thats been stored in cold storage properly should have no taste difference, problem is the lag time between being picked and it going into cold storage, and rough handling from point a to b to c.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Front page of Qld Country Life reports that the Cattle Council are backing the removal of the ban, as are Meat and Livestock Australia. Weird. As pointed out before - this was a Howard govt initiative, which seems like reason enough to can it.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #30
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Signed as per request.

Ed