Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default Holden's Daewoo gamble beginning to go sour?

Did anybody notice the sales figures for the Daewoo built Barina and Viva for April 2007 were 40% lower then 12 months earlier? This is in stark contrast to the market trend where the overall new vehicle market is up approximately 10%.

I questioned Holden's decision many months ago to source models from Daewoo and was ridiculed by some people. I will admit that these models did sell reasonably well when they were released. But as time has passed the sales performance of these models has begun to drop. Could it be that people who have purchased these vehicles have been less then satisfied with them and have either discouraged other people from buying them or has spread poor verdicts about these vehicles?

The Captiva has been selling well since its release. The question is will this initial sales surge be maintained? Now there is a fourth Daewoo built model released by Holden - Epica - which will also be worth watching. Early reviews have stated that the car is not a patch on the superseded Opel built Vectra.

Does anybody either own or know somebody who owns one of these Daewoo built Holdens have any comments about these vehicles?

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I doubt quality issues would be a factor just yet. If people were stupid enough to buy them before, nothing has changed to stop that yet.

I cant believe Ford are so soft when it comes to marketing. An example would be that Captiva add, where Holden takes a blatant shot of the Territory in terms of fuel consumption. (even though people with half a brain will see that the Terry is a much bigger car with more capability).

Ford need to have a stab at Holden small car origins, or safety ratings, or something; they are just letting them get away with it at the moment.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

If they went with Vauxhal's and Opels, they would have a new Vectra VXR/OPC instead of the Epica and Barina VXR/OPC! How silly are they!!!
Also, the Captiva Diesel ad [suggested above] says it's more fuel economical, BUT Ford don't have a diesel!!! :

Last edited by fou_bleu; 20-05-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Spelling :D
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

The new Barina (Opel version) looks good. Better than this Daewoo rubbish.

So far, everyone that I've talked to about the Daewoo Holden cars has not bought one. Mainly because I keep referring to them as Daewoos. hehe. "You want to buy a Daewoo Barina? Your choice..."

Holden Marketing people are very good at their job though. Must admit that. Perhaps Ford should poach some of them.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

no joke, the deal went sour as soon as they got bought out by GM, not enough cars been sold to be important to GMH.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
peyote
Grandpa EF Wagon

my Mrs has the my07 barina "daewoo"
it been back to the dealer 4 times in less than 20,000km
1st time the coil pack died at about 2,000km
2nd to much oil aprox 700ml after 3000km free service rang selling dealer got fobbed of so took it to another dealer
3rd front rotor warped at about 5,000km
4th return to dealer fault light on at aprox 12,000 service centre had NFI what the fault was so reset
and 2 windscreens
she hates the car now
Old 20-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
XR8putts

If Ford had half a brain, they'd make a point about the competition's cars origins in the TV commericials. And do it well.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bloke who we bought our VE Calais off told me first hand that the Captiva he had was the biggest bucket of **** hes ever driven!! He was a Ford salesmen previous and said that the Territory made the Captiva look like a 20 year old Suzike Vitara.

As for the smaller cars, everyone knows they are Rebadged Daewoos, and Daewoos were never popular in the first place, how Holden thinks their badge can change how a car is percieved in the market is really beyond me, and it seems them now!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
If Ford had half a brain, they'd make a point about the competition's cars origins in the TV commericials. And do it well.
Yes holden doesnt mind picking on Ford coz of the higher fuel consumption of the territory, so i dont see why Ford couldnt do the same about their cheap imports.
Old 20-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Using daewoos was always going to end badly i think, and the holden add baggin terrys, well surely we can bag there cheap nasty cars without strife!
Old 20-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Yes holden doesnt mind picking on Ford coz of the higher fuel consumption of the territory, so i dont see why Ford couldnt do the same about their cheap imports.
Yeah agree but they need to focus on the quality & safety aspects and compare those.

Saying that "Our cars are made locally or imported from 'x' whilst theirs are Korean" may get Ford into trouble for playing the 'Korean' (anti Asian) card.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately, thats what i was trying to say!
Old 20-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone remember the ad that Moffat done in the late 70's.Had a car bra like thing covering the front end with slanty eyes and were taking off the Japanese.Think the ad got pulled after people complained but it was very funny. Many years later in a political correct world they let it air.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

So far my captiva has been a brilliant car and the only issue's with it have been dealer related. Even my father who had 2 territories previously cant believe how tight it is to drive. Both his tezza's fell apart quicker than a sand castle in a storm. To me l dont care where it's made but how well it's engineered and what sort of service you get when things go wrong that counts. That was my biggest dissapointment with previous new fords.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

FF has it just been this month that the sales have dropped or has this been getting lower and lower every month?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #16
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister in law bought a Viva last year (2nd hand) as the previous owner didnt like the build quality of it. She picked it up for 13k with 15 thousand on the clock. Seems ok so far but the noise from the road was a bit of an issue.

She fixed that by puting a loud exhaust. :rolleyes:

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
So far my captiva has been a brilliant car and the only issue's with it have been dealer related. Even my father who had 2 territories previously cant believe how tight it is to drive. Both his tezza's fell apart quicker than a sand castle in a storm. To me l dont care where it's made but how well it's engineered and what sort of service you get when things go wrong that counts. That was my biggest dissapointment with previous new fords.

The one i drove felt cheap in comparison to the Ford, plus it had **** all power when it came to overtaking, id rate the car 4 out of 10 while id give my territory 7 / 10.

Comes down to personal opinion i guess, but I couldnt bare to put up with something that had the equipment level of my AU XR6.
Old 21-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #18
mrnsx
Crash test pilot

ford probably wont go and spend $$$ advertising just to put holden down, they know that holden cant back up its claims vs ford so there probably just letting it slip past till holden slaps themselves in the face.

from a marketing point of view, holden putting ford down only justifies that holden is scared from ford, plus, i wont be surprised if ford has a secret weapon in the making atm (like a diesel falcon or something heaps different), the more petrol prices rise, the higher chance of a new car being made to replace the petrol munching falcon

Newest Addition

Holden Barina 2004
6L per 100k :
66kw :

Old Collection..

Falcon BA
Toyota Celica
Kawasaki zxr
Ford Festiva
Nissan 180sx
Daihatsu Feroza
mrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #19
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Something like "More economical than Prado Pajero (etc - as appropriate), although we do use more Fuel than Sante Fe diesel, and Captiva diesel, Fiat Uno ... if you want economy, buy a vesper"
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #20
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Captiva - what an ugly, ugly "car" - saw one on the road yesterday, looks like it has been squished in at the sides, so tall and narrow.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

How typical of Holden to rubbish the opposition, the cheapest and most offensive form of marketing available. For Holden this form of marketing is something that they should stay away from, especially when their main product (commonwhore) is less fuel efficient than their competition. If Holden had any brains they would pull the ad and STFU about fuel efficiency; atleast Ford can soon come about and bite them in the you know what with the BF, BF2 and Orion when it comes to fuel economy.

I laugh my guts out every time I see that stupid Epica ad, and those words "effortless power" - what, all 105kw of them? What a joke. They also have a 2.5 litre engine making a whopping 115kw. Fuel efficiency on this little gem is still a mile off from the Camry, yet the camry makes the same power out of a 4 cylinder engine. Watch how few people buy the crappy epica.

Predictions: Holden will eventually WANT to go back to the Opel sourced cars, as people will not fully embrace the Koreans due to resale value and the perception of a cheap and nasty Holden. Captiva may woo a couple of thousand buyers, but the market it's aimed at is purely for the family which means it's going to be subjected to size comparisons. This will see alot of people end up in a territory or a similarly larged car. So FF is right, and the Korean AWD will get over its New Kid On the Block syndrome, especially when people try to resell it later on. The Captiva will eventually go the way of the crewman when the terry diesel comes out.
Finally, the VE hasn't done as well as first hoped and Holden has already started heavy discounting to fleets. Watch the VE2 come out in February next year in order to pip the Orion launch, however watch what Holden sales do with Orion as fleets move to the more modern, more fuel efficient Falcon. Compared to Orion the commodore looks quite dated, and the antiquated drive train will ensure that Holden has to spend money in order to compete. At the moment, the VE is still celebrating its Honeymoon period, and for all intents and purposes the VE is the Kevin Rudd of cars. All flash, all new and full of shyte.

Quote: