The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Default FPV F6 Territory

source: http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2728098.aspx

Quote:
FPV's hot on-again, off-again SUV has been given the green light

Australia's first-ever uber-SUV is just around the corner. Finally! Despite Ford's attempt to hose down expectations (more here), Blue Oval dealers are now talking openly about the long-awaited FPV-fettled Territory. Indeed, the Carsales Network has been told dealers are gearing up for a Sydney Motor Show unveiling and the hi-po all-paw's general release later this year.

FPV operator Prodrive is believed to have accelerated the 'Territory Plus' program in case sales of its F6 and V8 models slide prior to the Orion's arrival in March-April 2008.

Since Ford's top Territory Turbo Ghia currently retails at $65,490, the new FPV model is expected to be priced higher than $80,000 by the time on road costs are added. This is consistent with the premium that the FPV F6 Typhoon commands over Ford's XR6 Turbo with a similar lift in specification. Likely to exceed the LTD's current $75,525 list price, it is expected to be the most expensive locally-built passenger vehicle Ford has sold Down Under.

The rationale is that it will represent an almost $40,000 saving over the BMW X5 4.8i which it will closely shadow in performance.

The new X5 4.8i delivers 261kW and 475Nm from its V8 engine. FPV's F6 turbo 4.0-litre six-cylinder generates 270kW and 550Nm (currently!) so expect FPV to deliver an on-paper specification that presents a compelling case for the new top end Territory.

Released in July 2006, the Territory Turbo's conservative looks and specification have left plenty of room for an FPV version.

Liberating the F6's extra performance in the Territory's packaging is unlikely to present too many problems, despite the fact the AWD has an 'engine-top' intercooler location. However, the significant boost in performance may have forced mechanical changes further 'downstream'.

The main concern for Prodrive engineers is that an FPV Territory would more likely see heavy towing duties and extended low-speed slogging through soft surfaces (perhaps together), than FPV's sedan or ute range. For the standard Territory Turbo, a special version of the high torque ZF 6HP26 six-speed auto combines XR6 Turbo/F6 internals with the SY Territory's outer casing. This will have required further tweaking for the FPV version.

As a new DSC vehicle stability program had to be specifically calibrated for the Territory Turbo's larger 18-inch wheels and all-wheel drive, it is uncertain how far FPV has been able to deviate from this wheel and drivetrain specification.

Expect the FPV Territory to also feature major changes to the grille with a deeper and wider intake area, a heavily revised front fascia and a larger, more aggressive bonnet scoop. A new, more radical alloy wheel design will help lift the FPV Territory well clear of the standard models. And because there will be strong family links with FPV's F6 models, expect triangular inserts and grille mesh to make an appearance in the lower fascias front and rear -- as for the F6 Typhoon -- along with a roof spoiler and revised exhaust outlet.

Although specific Territory Turbo brakes with a performance caliper design and bigger rotors were added to the Ford version, expect the AWD to feature a variation of the Brembo systems as fitted to other FPV models.

The Territory Turbo's suspension was left standard apart from a small upgrade to the front springs to carry the turbocharged engine's slight weight increase. It is in this area that FPV will make the biggest advances with a firmer, more agile damper specification.

Given the target market and the already luxurious Territory Ghia Turbo interior, the overall feel of the exterior and cabin will be somewhere between the sporty Typhoon and sports-luxury Force 6.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

sounds good, but why bother??
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
mattcosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
Because it will create stability for FPV instead of relying on Falcon.

Not to mention there are a lot of people waiting for this.
mattcosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Looking forward to this, as are a few people judging by the numebr of users in the thread!
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

At that price for a Ford , I'd much rather buy an X3 , or an X5 far better build and safety features.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:

Have a look around at all the X series BMW and M series Mercs, not to mention all the other AWD's with some performance on the market, there is your answer.

I would not be surprised if they sell very well.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not to open a can of worms, but i never really seen the point of the Territory turbo let alone and FPV Terri but hey i dont make the decisions
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

not before time. Sales of local models have been slipping and this wont fix that totally but its a start. 6sp in rear wheel drive would be better again and to those that said territory would never work.... its still selling nearly 2000 per month!!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABOSS
At that price for a Ford , I'd much rather buy an X3 , or an X5 far better build and safety features.
$40,000 cheaper than the X5 is a lot of reason to look at one, not to mention cheaper servicing as well.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
$40,000 cheaper than the X5 is a lot of reason to look at one, not to mention cheaper servicing as well.
But at the end of the day I personally will always go quality over quantity, As do most others.

And as for servicing thats one thing ford have going for them I guess.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

.....Not only $40,000 cheaper than a BM but I bet each tyre wont cost $1100 each, then servicing etc ...... (If you think Ford is expensive, try Merc & BMW dealers) Drove a Ghia yesterday and have driven the BMW and no com any more!!!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
aualright

Quote:
Not sure if an X3 is comparable - they're tiny. Not convinced about their quality from various reviews - noisy as hell apparently. Most of us Territory drivers would love an X5 though, but at what cost.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
mightyfalconman

I believe the X3 and X5 are two of the most hideous cars available, people only buy them for their status and obvious do not care how ridiculous they look, IMO. I have not been in either, so I cannot comment of quality, etc.
mightyfalconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
falzoony
Rockin '67

I think it would be better if they brought out a v8 territory.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
Or even better, a Turbo Diesel version.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
billsta

It's all about attracting new buyers to the brand.
We took delivery on a SR a few weeks back and welcome FPV's efforts.

Just look at the the amount of buyers that went from owning HSV's to a Typhoon.
It's like when there was speak of a Typhoon coming out a couple years back many people questioned it and look at what the car has done for the brand, hope the FPV variant of the Territory is as successful.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
weenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Or even better, a Turbo Diesel version.
Are you kidding????? There would have to be a hell of alot of improvement in diesels to get me into one of those.apart from maybe fuel economy, what is the advantage with a diesel????
Sorry for the reply , but all i hear lately is how the new land cruiser wagons /utes go like the clappers. Maybe if you are a farmer & have been driving your 1970 vintage ute & have now swapped into a new one, but cmon seriously. Rap them through the first 3 gears, wow were doin 80 how exciting.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
Fuel guzzler! But F6 Tempest would be awesome! (Tempest for Terri)
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie
Are you kidding????? There would have to be a hell of alot of improvement in diesels to get me into one of those.apart from maybe fuel economy, what is the advantage with a diesel????
Sorry for the reply , but all i hear lately is how the new land cruiser wagons /utes go like the clappers. Maybe if you are a farmer & have been driving your 1970 vintage ute & have now swapped into a new one, but cmon seriously. Rap them through the first 3 gears, wow were doin 80 how exciting.
Do you really think people would buy a diesel terry for its performance :togo:
If there were to be one it would be made buy ford not FPV
Old 05-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
It's not like the petrol Territory is a rocket ship anyway.

Diesels move heavy cars very well not to mention towing.
As for performance, you may be surprised how well a new generation common rail diesel goes. A decent configuration would not be far off the I6 in acceleration and use 30% less fuel.
I would certainly look at one for a family car.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #21
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for quality X5 is built in North America... Enough said.
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #22
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

If they used the 3.6LV8 diesel perfomance would not be a problem - 200kw, 650Nm
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #23
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Perhaps you should find out what is so great about a diesel before being silly about what they do... yes, 3 gears up to 80 (mind you, this is dependant on the gearbox and not the engine), it will go through these 3 gears pulling a massive load up a hill, whereas a petrol will bog down and really struggle.

Diesels are actually cheaper to run sometimes (for example, where I am, diesel is 2c cheaper per litre). Also, towing/carrying heavy loads, because its not struggling doing that, it will not overheat, unlike a petrol car.

Ups and downs, and also, look into Biodiesel...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #24
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
But at the end of the day I personally will always go quality over quantity, As do most others.
Care to explain Holdens POS small car fleet then?

Again, another car that wont cost the earth to R&D, so it was always going to happen.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #25
Sledgehammer
Banned

Their is a market niche for this vehicle and it will suit this well, good luck to FPV. One must remember that alot of folk dont buy on price.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #26
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

This will be a cash cow for FPV.

Ford sells a LOT of Ghias and Turbos so imagine how much moolah FPV could make. :
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #27
LukeyST
ST fan

The terri turbo's seem to be selling quite well as i see them quite often. It looks the goods also, so cant wait for and FPV terri, should look the part!

Might go to SMS this year if thats where its being revealed.

Does anyone know wat sort of power level we might be looking at ? Im guessing it will be same as typhoon (as terri turbo = xr6t power).
Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #28
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You obviously didn't have a close look at the last car in my signature then did you? You also obviously haven't driven the latest common-rail turbo diesels either judging by your comments.

To quote Falcon Coupe again:
Quote:
Diesels move heavy cars very well not to mention towing.
As for performance, you may be surprised how well a new generation common rail diesel goes. A decent configuration would not be far off the I6 in acceleration and use 30% less fuel.
I would certainly look at one for a family car.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. It there was a Turbo Diesel Territory, then I'd consider getting rid of the EL pretty quickly.

Another little side note, the Peugeot we own has a towing capacity of 1400kgs. Not bad for a poxy little 2.0L 4 banger which is also manual. It's only 200kgs shy of what I can tow in my EL! If we had the automatic version, then the towing capacity would probably be more than the EL!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #29
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe FPV have caught on to the "Exhaust Mods to Terry Turbo" and realised there's a market for a more powerful Territory Turbo. Removing the bung certainly has improved the vehicles performance, hahaha

Seriously though, there's heaps of TTG's here in Perth. It seems there's plenty of CUB's along with other that are doing well who would be willing to part with good money for a FPV version of the TTG.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #30
GT-E

We love our Ford Turbo stable and welcome the FPV TT. Anything to make Ford/FPV money is a winner in my book. It is going to be a very lean 12 months for Ford unless they get creative with their models. With the recent upgrades to the current lineup and the Cobra and maybe the FPV TT, it might be enough to keep FordAu in the black until Orion.