Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
mavbass
mavbass

Angry Hot weather = car stalling

A couple of month ago while driving in the city on a hot day with my AC on my car stalled, i waited 2 minutes turned AC/fan/radio off and it started again fine but stalled again and again.
Have had it fully serviced 2 weeks ago and the mechanic had no idea, which bring us to today (bloody hot) day.
Driving on the freeway with AC on, STALLED : but started fine after 2 minutes.
It feels like it's just the fuel cutting out.
My bro thinks it's to do with the heat in the engine bay. and the fuel is evaporating so as a quick fix i drove with my hood ajar as to let more air in to cool it, it got me home.
Any ideas folks???
P.S i'm thinking of taking it to a ford service centre.

mavbass is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Id be more inclined to check the cooling system.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
EX-Y494

What is the temp/gauge showing when the car stalled?
C2R body kit, 2 1/2 cat back Exhaust, Red Diamond 2800rpm stall converter
BA front brakes, BA air box with pod
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/cgi-bin/i...act=item&i=326
EX-Y494 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
mavbass
mavbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
Id be more inclined to check the cooling system.
How??

The temp gauge is always on the "o" of NORMAL.
Also the fuel pump buzzes quite loudly, could it be that?
I've driven to Portland recently in cold weather not a problem.
Old 29-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
EX-Y494

It could be you'r fuel pump.

Just check to see if your fan are coming on, get your car up to running temp and see if they are both comming on and to this with the a\c on.
Old 29-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
mavbass
mavbass

I've had a funny feeling about when that fan kicks in. While the AC is on i think it stalled when the fan starts, i'm thinking it just puts too much strain on things and stalls but after it stalls once and AC turned off it keeps on stalling.
Old 29-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
EX-Y494

Just give it go in your driveway see what happens when the fan's come on. When dose it stall while your driving or your comming to a stop?

Have you taken your car out on a hot day with the a\c off dose it still stall?
Old 29-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
mavbass
mavbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-Y494
Just give it go in your driveway see what happens when the fan's come on. When dose it stall while your driving or your comming to a stop?

Have you taken your car out on a hot day with the a\c off dose it still stall?
I'll give it a go, it happens driving and idoling at lights and taking off.

Haven't tried that.
Old 29-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
EX-Y494

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavbass
I'll give it a go, it happens driving and idoling at lights and taking off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavbass
Also the fuel pump buzzes quite loudly

At this stage i'll be inclined getting your fuel pump check out
Old 30-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
mavbass
mavbass

Bumping for any more experiences
Old 30-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
Werd.
nou

I would say fuel pump. Can you hear it while the cars running? I can only hear mine when accessories is first turned on.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
mavbass
mavbass

I can hear it while the car is running, i have a S/Wagon so there's no much boot to hide the buzzing.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
87jsn
Jason

my car is having the same problem. as soon as the aircon fan kicks in the car wants to stall - sittin on nearly 200rpm or below - and when im drving the car is fine. -but when i come to a stop sign or have to slow down to an idol speed my car then wants to idol.

for a temp fix i jus put left foot on brake andright on accelerate, i thught it was low voltage to my car due to my battery terminals, but hey - who knows. just voicing my car as it sounds familiar

Jason
87jsn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Maybe and an issue with your Idle Control Solenoid ... but they won't afect stalling at freeway speeds.

I'd then check other things out like battery connections here ... especially with A/C load on the system ... if voltage drops too much ... it may have a flow on effect and stall the car (other things not getting enough power to run .... like PCM and BEM).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
mavbass
mavbass

The thing is, after the first stall i turn everything off, AC, fan and radio but after the first stall it keeps doing it.
Could it be the engine is getting too hot and causing some kind of vapor lock?
To let more air flow in I tried driving with the hood ajar and it seemed to work but a cool weather change also kick in so i'm not sure if that made a difference?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'd suggest takign it to a mechanic now ... but not a Ford Service Centre (they charge well over $100/hr just to look at things.

What art of Melbourne are you ... there's a number of members around that willl put you in the right direction of workshops that have good reputations that know Fords.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this may sound funny but it's no lie at work the other day an AU wagon came in stalling on hot days with ac on and it ended up being the AC compressor building up way to much pressure, I'm not sure of all the details I didn't work on the car, b ut I will find out for you, And as Mechan1k said ford service do charge $100 hr as I work in 1 but you will find there diagnostic equipment is alot better than most

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
mavbass
mavbass

Thanks guy's,
I'm in footscray.
Edit: I'm thinking of talking to someone from one of those dodgy taxi rank servos/garage, they must of heard of this problem!

Last edited by mavbass; 06-01-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #19
mavbass
mavbass

Bump!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Is this a climate control or standard air car?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
mavbass
mavbass

Standard air
Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Does the cars idle fluctuate when you at the lights?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #23
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

i have had a sort of similar problem, and basically mine was caused by incorrect adjustment of base idol vs throttle position, not sure why but it would only play up when hot like you say, i would start car again, and straight away it would stall again, time and time again, disconnect you iac and see what ya idle speed is, and go from there.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #24
arowell351
Starter Motor

Default AU stalling in hot weather!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
i have had a sort of similar problem, and basically mine was caused by incorrect adjustment of base idol vs throttle position, not sure why but it would only play up when hot like you say, i would start car again, and straight away it would stall again, time and time again, disconnect you iac and see what ya idle speed is, and go from there.

Mate, hows it going??? i joined this forum just to see if others have had this very same problem... Have you fixed it yet??? The guys talking about the aircon i think have a different problem. Let me explain. My problem only occurs when it is Fu%^en hot. The engine feels like it is breaking down when i accelerate hard, but recently i found that it didn't matter if i accelerated hard or not. Having the aircon on/off doesn't seem to help either. I know the problem with the aircon at the lights and stuff, but my car is stalling even when i am driving at 100km/h. The engine just dies and after about 10 seconds while i'm still rolling i regain power again, if it doesn't stall completely??? is this the same as you??

Cheers, Adam
arowell351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #25
arowell351
Starter Motor

Default AU stalling in hot weather!!!!!!!

i joined this forum just to see if others have had this very same problem.... My problem only occurs when it is Fu%^en hot. The engine feels like it is breaking down when i accelerate hard, but recently i found that it didn't matter if i accelerated hard or not. Having the aircon on/off doesn't seem to help either. I know the problem with the aircon at the lights and stuff, but my car is stalling even when i am driving at 100km/h. The engine just dies and after about 10 seconds while i'm still rolling i regain power again, if it doesn't stall completely??? is this the same as you??

Cheers, Adam
arowell351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #26
mavbass
mavbass

hi Adam,
PM recieved.
Well yes i still have the problem. I emailed a cabby friend of mine and he said it's not a easy one to solve, a prosess of elimanation.
Here is his email quote

"I wouldn't assume that it is a fuel problem, I had a similar problem and assumed that it was fuel supply and eventually found it to be weak spark.

So check spark at plug and at spark plug lead but be careful you can get quite a shock.

Check fuel pump and filter, maybe some dirt in fuel or partly clogged fuel filter.

Hard for mechanic to diagnose intermittent fault, it never happens when they are checking.

Basically you have to eliminate possible problems one by one starting with ignition ie spark plugs, leads etc

Once you have established that you have good, strong spark, blue not orange then check fuel side, electrical problems are more common than fuel problems.

If you have run out of fuel or let it get very low you may have dirt in the fuel line, filter, pump etc. I wouldn't think that vapourising fuel would recur all the time but couldn't be sure."
Old 21-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
mavbass
mavbass

bump!
Old 21-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #28
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well what have you checked from that list you posted above? i'd also try running 1 or 2 more ground wires from the battery to the body and the chassis and see if that helps....strange how ground can affect things, but the weaker the ground point to more resistance and with extra loads on it sometimes causes issues....at least it's not expensive to try
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Ignition coil pack may have a minor crack that opens with heat.
Old 21-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Ignition coil pack may have a minor crack that opens with heat.
My brother had this issue years ago with an old Harley. In the cold, no worries, got hotter, bike would run on one. He'd let it cool down and the cylinder returned, to vanish again when hot!

Worth a thought!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post