Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Default Ford Falcon enthusiasts upset at marketing snub

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1227361918788

Quote:
AS AUTO companies in Australia wind back production of vehicles that once defined a generation, there are some car lovers who are not taking it well.

Ford Australia’s Facebook page is littered with comments from fans upset at the car company’s new direction and the decreasing prominence of Aussie models including the Falcon.

The FGX will be the last ever Falcon made before production in Australia ends in 2016, and the car has been praised by motoring journalists and enthusiasts.

But for those flying the flag for this Aussie classic, there has been bitter disappointment that Ford no longer seems interested in spruiking the last of its kind.

There has been no television advertisements for the new Falcon, which Facebook fans have noted under posts highlighting the features of the Ford GT, a car which will not even be available in Australia.

https://www.facebook.com/FordAustral...839766118747:0

Aaron N Al: You’re impressing nobody Ford Australia with these out of reach cars that we will never see or afford here in OZ. It does look good but I would rather see you people actually seem excited and advertise your own home designed and built product (AKA Falcon and Territory) before they are killed off. Such a pathetic effort on your behalf!!!!

Jason Gemmill: Hello Ford. Do you guys still manufacture a Falcon? I remember it used to be a great seller and everyone loved them and you used to make wonderful advertisements for them. Maybe I’m a bit behind the times? But anyway, just wondered if you still supplied Falcons? Regards, Disappointed Falcon Supporter.

Marc Kenneth Jones: You mean the Falcon? They made it, but won’t advertise it. Terrible marketing for a final model.

Another post that got the fans fired up was a photo of a Ford ST with the licence plate FRD — AUS.

https://www.facebook.com/FordAustral...861075783747:0

John Mark Santos: Dear Ford stop with the online hide and seek and please rip out some decent commercial campaigns for your top notch automobiles! Fords kill the opposition but you’re not advertising them at all! New Falcon? New Mondeo? New Focus ST? I wonder if we’ll even get a minute when the Everest and mustang are finally released ...???

David Cipollone: Problem with Ford is just that !!! Don’t have a global release of a car you can’t deliver, no wonder they’re going down the toilet and we’ll probably get the rejects and pay top dollar for them I’ve been Ford all my life but I might buy a Kia next time around, thanks for nothing.

A spokesman for Ford Australia said television advertisements were used to build awareness and reach as many people as possible but this was not necessary when it came to the Falcon.

“The thing with the Falcon, is, everyone knows what the Falcon is, so we don’t have a lack of awareness of what the Falcon is,” he said.

He said that the market for Falcons were generally enthusiasts, as families had shifted towards buying SUVs and young people went for smaller cars.

Recent television campaigns have promoted the compact Ford Fiesta Sport and the mid size SUV, the Kuga.

The spokesman said Ford was now trying to reach Falcon enthusiasts through a more targeted approach including the launch of the Falcon Fanatic group and advertising in speciality publications.

“We want to focus on the customers who will put their hard earned cash down because they like the brand and they like the vehicles,” he said.

The success of this approach was reflected in sales of the performance model, the XR8, which has been so popular Ford has doubled production.

Consumer figures also support Ford’s shift in focus with SUV sales in Australia hitting a record high in 2014 and for the first time accounting for more than 30 per cent of the new car market.

But sales of Australian-made cars hit a 61-year low last year and Ford is still struggling to retain its market share.

Ford posted its worst sales in more than 23 years (as far as digital records go back) and the 10th year in a row in decline. The figures are significant because they cover every model in the Ford range, not just outgoing models such as the Falcon and Territory SUV.

The last time the Falcon was a top-seller was in 1995 and it is now well outside the Top 20, overtaken by imports such as the Volkswagen Golf.

Australia’s top-selling car for the second year in a row was the Toyota Corolla, with the Mazda3 in second place.

Ford is due to close its Broadmeadows and Geelong facilities in October next year, with Holden and Toyota are due to shut their factories in late 2017.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ford Falcon enthusiasts upset at marketing snub

I get the sentiment from a fans point of view, but can see why Ford aren't pushing the locals as much as they used to. Cost vs. return wouldn't be there at all now.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
I get the sentiment from a fans point of view, but can see why Ford aren't pushing the locals as much as they used to. Cost vs. return wouldn't be there at all now.
True, but I think there is definitely an issue there that is bigger than a simplistic “where’s the Falcon support” complaint.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing is ... what if it was a sales success ?

It would be embarrassing that Ford cut it off.
So how do we avoid that ? ... same as we have been doing for a half decade: do not advertise it.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
MAD
Petro-sexual

“The thing with the Falcon, is, everyone knows what the Falcon is, so we don’t have a lack of awareness of what the Falcon is,” he said.

I disagree with this.
I've spoken with heaps of people that thought Ford were finishing with the FG.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't seen a decent Falcon ad (not FPV) in 10 years. I've seen more new Falcons in the Shannons ads!

Quote:
We want to focus on the customers who will put their hard earned cash down because they like the brand and they like the vehicles,” he said.
I'm sure people put their hard earned down on Hyundai, Kia, etc because they just really like the brand. No they were confronted with endless commercials and billboards followed by seeing them on the road and actually recognising what they are. I don't care if it lives or dies, I'm a Holden man but the company is atrocious and could have done much better while making people happy.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
advertising in speciality publications.
anyone seen those?

The only Falcon advert i've seen in the last 10 years was from a Ford Dealership in Canberra.

Quote:
The thing is ... what if it was a sales success ?
We're definitely being weened off the Falcon ahead of it's discontinuance.
Old 21-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
marty351
Shenanigans..............

The only adverts I see from ford are something to do with dealerships and servicing.
It's sad for ford enthusiasts when you know more about other brands of cars you care very little about. Their marketing team might as well be shut down, they're not needed.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
JIm260
2004 XR8

Once the Falcon has gone I think we will be inundated with ads about the "new" Ford

Cheers
JIm
JIm260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what's a falcon?
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought my FG late last year, and I can tell you now, it was not even remotely on my list of cars to buy. Once I tried it I was sold, but I really only tried them at my brother's insistence.

I visited a nearby Ford dealership a couple weeks ago and there was not one Falcon in the yard. It's not just that they're not advertising, but if you don't have them in the yard for people to check out, they're just not going to buy one.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post

I disagree with this.
Me too ^^^^^^^^^^^

Do Coca Cola and McDonalds stop advertising because we all know what they are?

NO, in your face advertising keeps the punters aware.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
Me too ^^^^^^^^^^^

Do Coca Cola and McDonalds stop advertising because we all know what they are?

NO, in your face advertising keeps the punters aware.
But Coca Cola and McDonalds will be still selling their products in 12 months time. Falcon is not long for this world. Why drop millions on a TV add campaign for a product that is just about absolute and has a VERY limited appeal for most buyers (ie non-enthusiasts). I don't think people grasp how expensive TV advertising actually costs........
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #14
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I don't think people grasp how expensive TV advertising actually costs........
Or how ineffective it is - who watches tv these days? Mine hasn't even been plugged into the antenna for over 9 months...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

........and that's where Ford Australia went wrong. They thought that people already knew what the Falcon was, and will sell itself without advertising. How wrong they were, they did not capture the new generation as Holden did with the Commodore, but that's another story for another day as look where that is going as well.
Old 21-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #16
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In their own words "everyone knows what the Falcon is" so Ford should be using this - and the rich history of the Falcon - to "introduce" the new (old) suite of Fords to the Australian public.

Spend 30 sec reminding the Facebook generation that the original XK Falcon was basically an import from the USA, but tuned to Australian conditions - show Redex trials, show the Mustang bred XR V8, show the 1-2 Bathurst win, show the huge marketshare the Falcon had, show it's final iteration the FGX .. And don't be scared to show the performance versions. Show that as the Falcon is retiring a new generation of imports will take its place and it will (hopefully) start all over again. Show the handing of the baton from the Falcon to "new Ford". Don't hide the Falcon away in shame .. Exploit it .. And they might even by accident sell a few more?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

^^^ Bloody brilliant
Old 21-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

they are selling everything they build. whats the problem?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I bought my FG late last year, and I can tell you now, it was not even remotely on my list of cars to buy. Once I tried it I was sold, but I really only tried them at my brother's insistence.
That's exactly why they should advertise them to get people to try the amazing product which we've let slip through our fingers. If the large car market is shrinking make sure you've got the biggest market share not the smallest

People keep going on about they don't want to advertise the product they're discontinuing THE FACT IS this hasn't been an issue for 18 months it's been an issue for the last 5-7 years. The **nts at ford America have planned this since the GFC when they nearly went under like GM. They deliberately killed off our local product I don't care how good the new mustang is ford can shove it i'd rather drive a holden then buy a non aussie ford. Shame on you ford.

Sorry Rant over
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Problem is they are pumping advertising money into products that have gone completely backwards in sales ie. Focus and Kuga. Which are outsold by Territory, and sometimes Falcon.

Shows how much of as fail Fords sales and marketing teams are. Completely incompetent.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #21
Guzz226

Holden advertise heaps. Sell more too.

Yet are still closing.....
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #22
thehammer

i don't give two rats about the mustang either, Motor mag had a 6 page spread on it and was one of the last articles I read. I'm a ford man but only because they were building them here, I don't care about focus/Mondeo/mustang.

If Holden wasn't dying aswell, I'd be a Holden man the day Ford-Aus shuts down.
Current: AU wagon... Old rides: AUII XR8 220, NF V8, NC V8, XG XR6, XF ute, 2 XE's, XF, ED 5sp, EF, '95 Mondeo... non-ford.... VR V8, VL Turbo, TT Soarer, Suzuki Sierra, Hilux Surf, GQ Patrol, 2x4 Rodeo
thehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #23
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Holden advertise heaps. Sell more too.

Yet are still closing.....
Shame one of the 3 makers don't stand up and stick with Australia could turn out to be a good long term investment. Monkey see monkey do that's the problem with having overseas parent companies as soon as the going gets tough they decide to pack up and leave rather than adapt and innovate. If only there was an all Australian car maker.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
Shame one of the 3 makers don't stand up and stick with Australia could turn out to be a good long term investment. Monkey see monkey do that's the problem with having overseas parent companies as soon as the going gets tough they decide to pack up and leave rather than adapt and innovate. If only there was an all Australian car maker.

All of the car makers have been through the global financial crisis and it gave them a scare, the point of business is to make product and sell it at a profit, with the massive competition in Australia from the flood of other car makers even if things went well , the slice of pie is always going to be thinner than it was in the golden years,
they can build and ship cars from other country's for probably cheaper than we could build them , it makes no financial sense to keep flogging a dead horse.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #25
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a 53 year old ive been fortunate enough to have Falcon in my life, its pretty sad to see Australian manufacturing die and I think FOMOCO have delt with it poorly. They couldn't give a rats about Falcon and what has meant to Australia. At least I will always have a Falcon in my driveway.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #26
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
A shame is right but coming from a manufacturing background I can’t see how they could have possibly adapted and innovated.

With a small population of 23 million and no export propositions the numbers just don’t add up.

The competition here is stiff and brand loyalty now means little to most consumers.

Those buying on price will always turn to the cheaper Asian product, those buying a statement will look towards Europe and those buying for families have progressed on mass into the SUV/4WD market and they for the above reasons also look towards Asia and Europe.

Sure tax payer assistance could have kept the industry afloat but the Government wasn’t interested, the manufacturers weren’t interested and the consumers had fled in droves.

Maybe one of the locals could have found the right vehicle to please the market but that could have taken years or years could be spend without it happening, either way it would have bleed investment capital that no stock holder or investor would accept.

The mistake was made years ago when the locals allowed their customer base to shop around by not keeping pace with the cheaper feature packed imported cars.

Once their loyal consumers tasted other brands they never felt the need to come back.

By the time the locals cottoned on to what was happening and realised they had to compete it was too late, the horse had bolted.

It’s a basic business principal to stay relevant and don’t let your customer base wander.

Now they are closing down, Ford and Holden have taken different tactics, which is right depends on your outlook.

Do you invest in advertising in the hope you'll sell right to the death or do you look to the future and let your run out product look after itself?

It is sad to see the Falcon go without much advertising fanfare but it's obvious Ford has no interest in investing in a run out model and when the sentiment is removed that is a good business decision.

Ford are gearing up for a new customer base and how successful they will be is a matter yet to be determined.
Old 22-05-2015, 02:14 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Problem is they are pumping advertising money into products that have gone completely backwards in sales ie. Focus and Kuga. Which are outsold by Territory, and sometimes Falcon.

Shows how much of as fail Fords sales and marketing teams are. Completely incompetent.
The problem the Focus has is its up against the better Mazda 3, if I was out to buy a new small hatch again in the $20-30K mark, the Focus wouldn't even get a look in (unless I was spending $40K - ST would win me over), it would be Mazda 3 SP25.

However on LW Focus launch, it would have been the LW Focus which got my money vs previous Mazda 3.

Its in that situation where the Mazda 3 is the newer car with all round better features in the $20-30K price range currently.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #28
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

So you don't think the bad rep Focus is getting over gearbox issues has anything to do with it? It might be new Ford according to the marketing machine, but the old Ford is alive and well when it comes to warranty and customer satisfaction. Ten years of market decline and zero has been learn't at Broadmeadows.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
So you don't think the bad rep Focus is getting over gearbox issues has anything to do with it? It might be new Ford according to the marketing machine, but the old Ford is alive and well when it comes to warranty and customer satisfaction. Ten years of market decline and zero has been learn't at Broadmeadows.
i suspect they know what the problem is , but dont have money or the means to do anything about it, and ford US bean counters long ago put the ford oz on its merry way to death of a thousand cuts.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 01:42 AM   #30
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Service is and has been an issue with ford for a long time,thats why after my last ford purchase my wife is driving a Honda Civic.
kazawaki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post