Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Default State P-Plate Laws Question

G'day everyone.

I've had a thought.

Most of us know that over east the P plate law is that P-Platers cannot drive turbo or V8 powered vehicles, and that P plates must be placed in a conspicuous place on the vehicle.

In WA, P-Platers are allowed to drive V8 and turbo cars, and the P plates "must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle".
Most of us here put them in the windscreen and back window, which personally I think is good enough. Though the plates can be hidden by reflections on the windows, or the tint of the rear window if the vehicle is tinted.

At times it would be hard to see my L plates, especially the rear ones due to the tint. I've stopped for RBTs a good few times and the cops have never said anything so I imagine it doesn't matter. But I hear, in NSW anyway, that they will ask you to move them to the exterior of the vehicle.

So what if I on P plates in a few months from WA drove to NSW unaware that the plates must be on the outside? Would they have to ask me to replace them?

And what if I were a P plater driving from WA to the east in a V8 or Turbo car? What would happen then? Would I be left alone because of the laws of where I am from?

Just curious.
Thanks

Chris

OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Re: State P-Plate Laws Question

Technicall you have to be driving to the states laws , but I reckon if you were in a V8 from WA and were licenced and legally allowed to drive it over there , you would get away with it in NSW.
But if you get a cop who is having a bad day well who knows.
I know of a Victorian who got booked in NSW for not having their trailer registered even though its not required to be in Vic.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The restrictions are on YOUR license not the local equivalent.

i.e. A WA P plater can drive a V8 and as his license is honoured in all states he can drive it in Victoria (or where ever).
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Above post is correct. The state the licence is from governs the licence conditions.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
karj
XY Falcon

Agreed - I doubt they could ping you for the high powered car. But if it was me, I would buy some external P-plates and adhere to any speed restrictions that state may have on the equivalent license... just incase you encounter a difficult police officer.
Old 30-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

You just can't exceed YOUR license conditions. Even if it is accepted in another state, you need to stick to your license restrictions.
E.g, In NSW you need to show your p-plates. Where as South Aus, I don't need to show greens (reds and l's need to be shown). However, seeing as I'm on a NSW license, they need to be shown

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

Last edited by XR6T0Y; 30-11-2012 at 08:53 AM.
XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

What about all those South Aussies who were fined not long ago interstate for not having their rego stickers on their cars??
Old 30-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you'll be ok in the V8 but would need the external P plates

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
What about all those South Aussies who were fined not long ago interstate for not having their rego stickers on their cars??
They would have their fines refunded and points revoked.
Old 30-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
ChRiDDa

must be visible from a distance of 20m away, front and rear - if you are driving in another state (other than who you obtained your licence through) you are required to abide by their road rules
ChRiDDa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

So if I were a uninformed P plater driving over east, and didn't know my plates had to be external, would I simply be asked to move them or can the cops get me in trouble for it?

Thanks for all the responses, good to know! :P
Old 30-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiDDa View Post
must be visible from a distance of 20m away, front and rear - if you are driving in another state (other than who you obtained your licence through) you are required to abide by their road rules
Their road rules NOT their license restrictions.

e.g. Speed limit is a road rule.

P plate speed limit or positioning of P plate is a license restriction.

A person who is limited to 90 in their state due to their licence type is limited to 90 in all states. So a NSW red P plater cannot legally drive a V8 in WA or do more than 90km/h whereas a person who has a red P license from WA can legally drive a FG2 GT at 110 km/h in NSW.

Last edited by flappist; 30-11-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 30-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
mickbundy

Mr. Grinzy
Are you going to actually going to drive East in a turbo or V8 on P's or just amusing yourself with a hypothetical ?
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy View Post
Mr. Grinzy
Are you going to actually going to drive East in a turbo or V8 on P's or just amusing yourself with a hypothetical ?
Who cares? Thanks to this thread its made it clear that i cant legally do 110 when i visit other states...which im doing often latley.

Its a complete and utter crock these state by state restrictions, i have nothing else nice to say regarding the matter!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy View Post
Mr. Grinzy
Well I suspect he will be able to answer that more clearly after he actually gets his license and buys a car.
Old 30-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Their road rules NOT their license restrictions.

e.g. Speed limit is a road rule.

P plate speed limit or positioning of P plate is a license restriction.

A person who is limited to 90 in their state due to their licence type is limited to 90 in all states. So a NSW red P plater cannot legally drive a V8 in WA or do more than 90km/h whereas a person who has a red P license from WA can legally drive a FG2 GT at 110 km/h in NSW.
That's the one I forgot! I was going to ask that as well. Good to know!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
Mr. Grinzy
Well, at this point I can't say. I will likely drive over sometime in the not too distant future for a trip, hopefully in the AUII wagon. By that time it could have a turbo if I wanted more power. Mostly hypothetical though, but you never know.
Old 30-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Who cares? Thanks to this thread its made it clear that i cant legally do 110 when i visit other states...which im doing often latley.

Its a complete and utter crock these state by state restrictions, i have nothing else nice to say regarding the matter!
Yes it is rather silly to have different rules for different people but while we have state based licensing this will always be the case.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Yes it is rather silly to have different rules for different people but while we have state based licensing this will always be the case.
I suppose the rules and laws will eventually be changed like the education curriculum being changed from each state having their own to all sharing the same curriculum.
So one day it'll all be the same! I do hope that the speed restrictions (AT LEAST) in NSW never apply here!
Old 30-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
mickbundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post

Yes it is nice to know ,But who really gives a toss if you are not driving in a different state ? It is hypothetical Cheers
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #20
Cambo351
Jag built with Ford money

In the past the differences between the states could be pretty useful.

I remember getting pulled over in Melbourne, with a NSW drivers license & a WA registered car after having some oversteer issues in the wet, the officer was clearly frustrated with the situation & told me to be on my way.

Was also stopped in Sydney with a WA licence & WA registered car for a momentary loss of traction, officer... and was let off with a stern talking to.

Paperwork was just too complicated for 'em. OK that was 8 years ago now, i'm sure times have changed...
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy View Post
So if I were a uninformed P plater driving over east, and didn't know my plates had to be external, would I simply be asked to move them or can the cops get me in trouble for it?

Thanks for all the responses, good to know! :P
Generally if you're nice to Mr Policeman straight off the bat when pulled over, they would inform you of their rules regarding these plates and ask you to place them outside the car, with no piece of paper accompanying it.

IMA, the only reason they'd pull you is if they're doing a breatho, licence or rego check, so there would be no reason for you to be upset to begin with, therefore Mr Policeman should be in a fairly good mood to begin with....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
Generally if you're nice to Mr Policeman straight off the bat when pulled over, they would inform you of their rules regarding these plates and ask you to place them outside the car, with no piece of paper accompanying it.

IMA, the only reason they'd pull you is if they're doing a breatho, licence or rego check, so there would be no reason for you to be upset to begin with, therefore Mr Policeman should be in a fairly good mood to begin with....
Well thats good to know. I've never had a problem with the cops doing their job, so I'm happy to be nice to 'em.

I actually had my 4th breatho just now, of course I came clean. Wasn't sure if they'd notice the massive load I had in the back of the wagon though. We (well I, Dad doesn't bother much) always pack these loads as safely as I can anyway so I hoped they wouldn't have an issue. Didn't even seem to notice it.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

There are a number of 'P' & 'L' plated vehicles from Queensland who when driving in NSW just below the boarder here have been booked in NSW for failing to display the plates immediately adjacent to the number plates as prescribed in NSW.

A nasty reaction to an interstate visitor, however the NSWPHP have never been known as the most affable people, having gained this reputation back the the old STP days. Some say the jodhpurs & leather caps n' jackets are only missing the black colouring with silver piping n' badges to maintain the most appropriate dress.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
Dave3911

A lot of misinformation in this thread. Everyone needs to be aware that different states will vary on how they handle interstate licensing issues.

The following is fact for Victoria.

In regards to positioning of your P-plate, it is as per Victoria's rules, not your home state.
Quote:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/v...09403/s55.html

ROAD SAFETY (DRIVERS) REGULATIONS 2009 (SR NO 95 OF 2009) - REG 55
Probationary driver must display P plates
r. 55

(1) A person who holds a probationary driver licence or a driver licence issued on a probationary basis in another jurisdiction must not drive a motor vehicle (other than a tractor) on a highway unless—

(a) an appropriate P plate is displayed facing out from the rear of the vehicle so that the letter "P" is clearly visible and the colour of the plate is distinguishable from a distance of 20 metres behind the vehicle; and

(b) in the case of a vehicle other than a motor cycle, an appropriate P plate is displayed facing out from the front of the vehicle so that the letter "P" is clearly visible and the colour of the plate is distinguishable from a distance of 20 metres ahead of the vehicle.

Penalty: 3 penalty units.
Emphasis added by me.

In regards to your question about driving V8s and Turbos on a WA probationary license in Victoria, this is fine. Legislation here:

Quote:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/v...09403/s57.html

ROAD SAFETY (DRIVERS) REGULATIONS 2009 (SR NO 95 OF 2009) - REG 57
Offence to drive probationary prohibited vehicle
r. 57

(1) The holder of a probationary driver licence must not drive a probationary prohibited vehicle on a highway.

Penalty: 10 penalty units.
Note the difference from Reg 55 and no mention of license from another Jurisdiction. "probationary driver license" is defined in Reg 48 and must be issued by "The corporation" (ie. Vicroads).

As for the NSW Driver with a speed restriction driving in Victoria, the offence doesn't exist in Victoria so you can't be done for it. It's not considered a license condition (such as wearing Glasses) and as such can't be given an infringement for disobey license condition.

The above quoted is the current legislation in Victoria and confirmed accurate by a mate of mine who is a current serving Victorian HWP member. As I said, it will vary in other states, but this is how your scenarios would play out if driving in Victoria.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911 View Post
As for the NSW Driver with a speed restriction driving in Victoria, the offence doesn't exist in Victoria so you can't be done for it. It's not considered a license condition (such as wearing Glasses) and as such can't be given an infringement for disobey license condition.

The above quoted is the current legislation in Victoria and confirmed accurate by a mate of mine who is a current serving Victorian HWP member. As I said, it will vary in other states, but this is how your scenarios would play out if driving in Victoria.
Oh wow, i assumed this a while ago but was never sure.

So i can go to Vic, put P plates inside my window and go 110 without a hitch? Beaut!

So one can further assume that if a law exists in NSW but not in another state (VIC, NT, WA, TAS all of note who do not have half the stupid laws here), one cant be booked for it as they simply do not exist there!?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
all sorted apparently

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226528113917

and according to the article, it was only 5 people. obviously just another beat up originally, with people carrying on like it was every 2nd person getting nabbed.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911 View Post
A lot of misinformation in this thread. Everyone needs to be aware that different states will vary on how they handle interstate licensing issues.

The following is fact for Victoria.

In regards to positioning of your P-plate, it is as per Victoria's rules, not your home state.

Emphasis added by me.

In regards to your question about driving V8s and Turbos on a WA probationary license in Victoria, this is fine. Legislation here:

Note the difference from Reg 55 and no mention of license from another Jurisdiction. "probationary driver license" is defined in Reg 48 and must be issued by "The corporation" (ie. Vicroads).

So does this mean that if I were doing an Oz trip for example, unaware of these laws and the fact other states have different laws to my own, and I drove into Victoria without the P plates displayed correctly, I'd get 3 demerits just like that?

Seems a little unfair? No?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy View Post
So does this mean that if I were doing an Oz trip for example, unaware of these laws and the fact other states have different laws to my own, and I drove into Victoria without the P plates displayed correctly, I'd get 3 demerits just like that?

Seems a little unfair? No?
I have no idea how WA applies interstate demerit points, so can't answer your question. In the reverse situation Vicroads applies demerit points as if the offence occurred in Victoria (Ie. if the WA offence has 2 demerit points, but the Vic one has 3, you get 3).

Certainly seems unfair, but hey, it's the law....don't think fairness really comes into it much! .
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #29
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Makes me glad I asked..........
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #30
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
However, seeing as I'm on a NSW license, they need to be shown
...and they look horrible. it's bad that P platers are still forced to display those plastic cards.
what do they actually do? i don't really see the point other than to 'label' you as a bad driver.
i remember trying to get away with those magnetic ones, which would fly off as soon as you drove away.