Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
73gscoupe

Default petrol station drive off

Well i went down to the local safeway servo to put gas into the Xf, and im at the back of the car waiting for it to fill (damn gas takes ages), and a pulsar pulls in behind me. Happen to notice this bloke has used masking tape to selectively cover parts of the letters and numbers to change his rego plate. Looked at the rego sticker to see if the plates were legit to start with, and they were. I figure he is probably a citylink user, as they are the only ones who photograph the front plate.

Anyway this bloke fills his tank to the brim with about $50 of petrol, and then has to sit there and wait (as im in front of him). I go into pay, and the woman tries to charge me for his fuel as well as the $20 of gas. I pay the $20 for gas, walk out, and this bloke is scratching around in his car.

Fire up the xf, pull out, and this guy pulls out behind me.

Now he didnt prepay, or the woman wouldnt have tried to charge me for his fuel. and he sure as hell didnt pay after i walked out of the servo.

To me, stealing is stealing, I would never drive off without paying. But am curious to know if there are any people on here who would consider this.

Also what does the servo do in these cases? are they powerless to enforce people pay for fuel? If they do have your rego, what do they do with it?

73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73gscoupe
Also what does the servo do in these cases? are they powerless to enforce people pay for fuel? If they do have your rego, what do they do with it?
They notify the police almost immediately because if the attendant does not recoup the money or attempt to - it comes out of their pay (i've heard that, not by experience). My local Shell experiences many a drive off... and one happened while I was paying... they had pulled in behind me just as I was finishing up and they were in a rush but didn't have licence plates on.

I thought that was odd, so I looked at the rego and there was the plate number (i've got reasonable eyesight) and then went in to pay.... 3 people in the queue so it took a little while... next thing the attended jumped out and ran into the filling area... but the guy was driving off.

I told the attendant the rego from the sticker and he was so very grateful as they stole about $70 of premium. Two days later I was there again (getting a drink) and the same attendant was on duty. I asked if they got the guy, and he said yes, the police found them around the corner and did them for theft using a motor vehicle, driving without plates (caught on camera proof), and eventually driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

We both had a laugh. :
Old 14-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I would never consider it, it is low, low, low. I saw it happen a few years ago, the guy made out like he was walking in to pay, but doubled back and took off in the car that was already rolling. I got their rego and gave it to the guy inside who hadn't noticed the problem yet. F'ing thieves....

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
xespac

I havn't seen any with my eyes yet, but hear about drive offs a lot of times....prices of petrol goes up any higher and it'll be a habit, everyone will drive off without knowng evenutaly!... :P

What areas did all this occur??
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's these idiots that's going spoil it for the rest of us. Some servo's are already asking that you pay before they set the pump. Personally I move on to the next servo because to me they are saying "we don't trust you" by demanding prepayment.

I'd hate to see things go the way they are in the 'States where you always have to walk in a pay before you get your fuel.

The system works fine if peple are honest, I'm glad to see you guys are doing your bit to help prevent drive-offs.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they notify the police, most of the time the rego is a stolen plate these days, but if its not then they can expect a visit from mr plod.

most reputable companies do not take the drive off cost from the employees pay, however i know that some of the dodgy ones do this.
Old 14-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

i used to get drive offs back when i worked at a petrol station, and it NEVER came out of my pay. And if it does get taken out of your pay, id be going straight to the ACCC or somewhere like that.

I use the prepay system on my card that some of the Mobil's have, its easy, just swipe your card, grab your fuel and drive off. Done and Done, its good when theres a line and i cant be bothered waiting. Most servo's that have the prepay system only enforce it at night down here in Geelong, between about 10pm and 6am, when its most likely to occur.

Which reminds me, i need to go fuel up now. Just gotta find my balaclava and a screwdriver for my plates
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Valknutr

i only experienced 1 drive off when i worked for Mobil it was $4 dollars so im like wtf just pay for it you cheap *****. But yeah the way i worked things was never primed the pump for anyone unless i had their plates and a description of their car on a piece of paper.
One of the funniest drive offs i heard about was down in berkeley (NSW) where a group of guys dressed up like pirates filled up their car all got out mooned the attendant then drove off, cops got them though so hahaha
Old 14-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

One of my step dads mates forgot to pay in macksville, NSW (a real forget, not on purpose) and the he lives in Brisbane. Anyway, a week later, door knock from the police, and he paid up straight away and apologised. No charges laid
Old 14-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's theft. If someone has covered their plates to any degree there is gilt edged proof of intent.
I think it's no different to stealing a car or burging a house.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Yup, theft, plain and simple. I had a few when I was working at Shell, and it's a pain in the neck all the paperwork and calling the police, particularly when you're busy.

I wouldn't do it, wouldn't even consider it, and to anyone who would, I say this, doing it makes you no better then a common theif.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #12
TZENU
XY Driv3r

As everyone has said stealing is stealing and with the price of fuel continually on the rise more and more people are goin to resort to such behaviour......

How bout taking a Tanker full of PULP>????!
Old 14-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Best of all it knocks the price up further.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
myxr6
Banned

Reminds me of a guy in Canberra , who had 4 new tyres and a new full exhaust.Told the other place he would pay , but did a runner , they ran the plates to find they hadn't been used is 2 years.What a low act.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #15
trikee
overdriven

i had my commodore stolen at the beginning of the year and it was used in a petrol run.
eventually found the commodore after notifying the police and every petrol station in penrith that it might be on its way cos i knew it needed fuel when it got knocked off
trikee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #16
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've done it, not intentionally and realised 5km down the track.
i'd thought my mrs had gone in to pay the $80 as she asked how much it was, and she came back with an ice-cream......

HUGE U - Turn and a quick run back to find out they had got my plates and were about to call the Plods!!!

Apologies accepted and I bought myself an ice-cream too!!
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #17
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

I recently pulled into the shell servo up here and didnt get out of my car. My mate went inside and used the teller machine to withdraw some cash and got back in my car! About an hour later , my mobile rings and its the cops! They tell me I have not payed for my fuel and I told them I didnt put any fuel in my car , i had just stopped near the door , and the Video will prove it !I went back to the servo and when I walked in they were already telling people that I had stolen fuel ! I went off my NAANA and told them they best look at the security video , and demanded an apology infront of eveyone ! They did . then I told them off again !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #18
FordFan86
meow

I work in a servo, we get 3/4 drive offs a month.
If we are lucky enough to get the plate number we call the cops immediately to check the plates against the car. 9/10 the plate will be a mismatch anyway, so there's nothing we can do about it.
Where i work the drive off does not come out of my pay, at other servo's yes it does, and at the end of shift, if your till is down it alss comes out of your pay. (note not where i work, my boss sets his own rules as it is a franchisee)
Some of the oens that drive off, hide behind larger vans or trucks, we look up and there's nothing. Last week the forecourt was empty, guy pulls up, puts in $70, casually gets back into his car and leaves.
We have had a repeat offender, who have been caught doing the same thing at several servo's now, the car was last registered to a 40yr old guy living out in the country.. but as we have seen both times it was a couple of young kids. The police have not done anything about this yet.
anyquestions i'll try and answer :P
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #19
xrdreaming

The Mobil just up the road from my place has just gone to pre pay after dark after having an average of 3-4 drive offs a week since the price of fuel has started going up.

You also now need to leave your keys or drivers licence or credit card if you need to pump up your tyres to get the compressor head. I asked the guy today and he said any shortfall in the takings including drive offs comes out of his pay.
xrdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #20
Cheap AU
Column Shiftin'

i ve got mates that dont steal fuel but coz of the price and the way their cars chew and the amount they drive, they have had to leave collateral with petrol stations like mobile phones, watches, wallets with identification and lots of other random stuff...
Cheap AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #21
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap AU
i ve got mates that dont steal fuel but coz of the price and the way their cars chew and the amount they drive, they have had to leave collateral with petrol stations like mobile phones, watches, wallets with identification and lots of other random stuff...
True, i've got intoa few verbal arguements and almost physical fights with people who weren't happy with what i wanted to take from them (whatever they don't want to leave is what i go for) fair enough i've had some genuine customers who did forget their wallet say they would never be back again because i was "rude", but 9 1/2 - 10 are just complete scum. Threatening to call the police and actually getting them on the line a few times actually works, It is an offence...
Off the top of my head right now there is 1 toolbox, 1 spare tyre, 2 watches and a phone sitting there because people didn't have cash on them or in their account... it's normally a week or 2 before they come back.. if they do.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #22
Transit Truck

I filled up once and to my surprise I genially didn't have my wallet. I was only at my local station so I decided to go straight home and back. The place was busy so I didn't wanna wait in the queue to say I have no money...

I came back, paid with no problem. The staff, although I don't know them, see me heaps so everything was fine.
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #23
ar3nbe
Starter Motor

Well i havnt got any stories to tello except i put petrol in the car, pay and then leave. I dont understand how people can be so tight as to steal petrol, its not like its that expensive when you think about it, and its a consequence of owning a car.

As for the paying before you fill thing, it is quite annoying. Ive only been to one servo that does it, but the guy working there knows me so its alrite, but honestly its a pain. What would you say if you wanted to fill it up ? I think there losing more business than gaining from lowering drive bys
ar3nbe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #24
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I have never stolen and never will steal petrol. I am friends with the local Caltex servo guy. He does the grave yard shift every night and that is when I fill up. He has had drive offs and it doesn't come out of his pay. The funny thing he told was that the one and only time he worked the day shift there was a drive off and the guy in his commodore drove next store to super crap. The servo guy chased him and confronted the commo guy, who tried to deny it. It was all on video.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:34 PM   #25
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Weld your plates on folks.. the incidents of stolen number plates are on the rise apparently. Just in the last 2 weeks, 2 work mates have had their plates stolen and used for stealing petrol. When I bought this subject up with a cabbie yesterday, he said he sees about 1 case a day now, when about 12 months ago, he would see about 2 cases in a week. Seen a few cars with no plates on recently aswell. Would people really go to this extent for $50 - $60 worth of fuel?? :

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #26
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I remember when I was little my mum put petrol in our Merc, and she ended up 5c short of the total amount, but the woman working said don't worry about it.

About a week later we were driving past again, and mum pulled in to give her the 5c. The attendant was amazed.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 10:37 PM   #27
Matto_84
97 EL Futura 5 speed

No way, never have considered it and never will, even though petrol now hits my pocket harder I think anyone who has to steal petrol is really lame and should have their licence taken off them, if they cant afford to drive they shouldn't be driving.
Matto_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #28
chippa6
Novice Professional

I was filling up the car last night at my local servo, there was a maroon VT filling up beside me, no sooner had the guy stopped filling the car and then jumped in the back seat and took off, had a quick squiz at the rego and thought they must have prepaid. Went in to pay and saw the attendant writing up a drive off report. I gave him correct details regarding car and rego. apparently it has been happening quite a bit lately.
Old 15-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #29
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I filled up once and forgot to pay back in 2000 (busy day at work). About 1/2 way home I realised I forgot and I went back. The guy was REALLY happy to see me. He said he would be in the with his boss. The S.O.P was to fill in a report and contact the cops.
Uncle_Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #30
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestingly enough, if you genuinely thought you had the money in your account or really forgot your wallet, the servos have no legal right to demand any item to be held as colleteral. Also, as long as you reasonably identify yourself and the servo attendant has no reason to believe that you are trying to steal from them, the cops won't be interested as it's a civil problem not a criminal one.
Generally the scum who steal petrol don't bother to come in and try to talk their way out of it... they just run.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post