Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
LTD351

Default v8 race experience at eastern creek, it was OK

just did the "v8 race experience 5 laps at eastern creek"

my girlfriend got me the ticket.

I drove a BA XR8, they are just factory cars with some slicks and a roll cage, couldn't get more than 160-170 down the straight and the co-driver was having kittens when I entered the left hand corner after the straight at 155kmh, overall the car felt way underpowered with the factory power output and slicks, but it was a very good experience.

It would be better if you could have more than 5 laps as once you get used to the car its all over.

They only let you use 3-4-5 when the first harpin is crying for 2nd gear, the car didn't even have an LSD and it just spun the inside left on power out of the corner, was a bit annoying considering the 299$ pricetag, the gearbox in my car had a very poor shift and even the instuctor warned me of this, it was easy to miss the gears.

I think the chev powered holdens would have been much better to drive, the boss had heaps of TQ but after 5K it was all over red rover.

I would recommend it but some more power would have been nice.

LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

interesting review.
I saw a few videos guys i know bought from their drive, it doesn't look too thrilling, and Ford or Holden, they said the cars were ИИИИИty as to drive, and one of the guys said the car went worse than his stock 01 clubby R8.

Plus, thats really dodgy to not have atleast the FACTORY LSD on it hey !!

But i guess its not everyday you legally get to do 160KPH+
Old 01-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Aeron
DJR Fan

I think a track day in your own car is better value for sure!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Your kidding ... I thought they'd go quicker than that.

I went on the Proton GTi drive day when they first came out and was managing a fraction under 180km/h in them entering turn one off the main straight .... damn bumpy at that speed.

The "experienced drivers" on the day took us through that same corner at just over 190km/h .... now that was bloody scarey ... I was hanging ... and that's from a 1.8L 4-cyl hatchback .... mind you they do handle well out of the box and are very light.

Oh ... they were on street rubber as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

i did the one at Calder and i gotta say it was awesome!!

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD351

I drove a BA XR8, they are just factory cars with some slicks and a roll cage, couldn't get more than 160-170 down the straight and the co-driver was having kittens when I entered the left hand corner after the straight at 155kmh, overall the car felt way underpowered with the factory power output and slicks, but it was a very good experience.

It would be better if you could have more than 5 laps as once you get used to the car its all over.

They only let you use 3-4-5 when the first harpin is crying for 2nd gear, the car didn't even have an LSD and it just spun the inside left on power out of the corner, was a bit annoying considering the 299$ pricetag, the gearbox in my car had a very poor shift and even the instuctor warned me of this, it was easy to miss the gears.

I think the chev powered holdens would have been much better to drive, the boss had heaps of TQ but after 5K it was all over red rover.

Third gear is the gear for the hairpin...any gear less than that, then your way down on corner speed, or way too slow on the main straight and the kink. You should be going through the kink at 200-220 to maintain corner speed. That corner is fast in slow out.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Its alot faster using third than second,I use third at turns 2 and nine, 4th the rest of the track except the straight where I grab 5th, I see what you mean though for $300 for 5 laps youd want something more thrilling, any one want to pay 300 for 5 laps in mine :Up_to_som

Last edited by nugget378; 01-04-2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

$450.00 get you in the X Lownes green eyed monster now yellow www.v8racecarhotlaps.com.au but they all look like great fun..

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron

Too right !

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
EFDream
XRR83D

Bought my mate a ticket to that for his bday and he said it was a bid dissappointing. His 351XE would have been alot more fun hey reckons. But hey he didn't have to pay for it.

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
LTD351T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I reckon a 351XE with 8" wide rubber and a toploader with some 3.5's would be much much better. The quadcam I drove was a complete heap. Maybe it had an LSD but it was worn out. Anyway I would do it again but not if I was paying for it.
LTD351T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
hotxy71
i want a blower.....

Ive done the one at Calder as well, twice now, a 5 lapper and an 8 lapper. 8 laps is waaayyyyyyy better, but like some others have said, its basically just a stock car with a cage and slicks, better brakes and suspension. It has its bad points, yes, but overall, its aim is to show you the best way to approach and go through the bends at max speed.
As a few or you guys have said, more power would have been nice
On a high note (read: bragging lol.... ) i set the quickest "unoffical" time of the day, and caused a "hero" who thought he could drive to spin! lol.... bloody holden drivers!!! haha

Overall though, a worthwhile experience, even if it is pretty expensive.

Stocky but tidy!

XY Fairmont Sedan
Electric Blue
302 Windsor
C4
Custom Exhaust
18" ROH RT's
hotxy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$300 to go around a track with a stock car and not even being able to give it a bit is disappointing to say the least..

I've been fortunate enough to have been around calder in a Lamborghini Gallardo.. even taking a ride in a V8 Supercar will pail into insignificance.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say is that they either must have slowed them down or your too scared to drive the thing fast.As I have been twice and each time I have exceeded 200k's down the main straght and 160 through 1st corner and the instructor told me to use 2nd gear for the 2nd corner.I'm going again in May so i'll see if there are any dramatic changes to the cars.The way that public liability is these day it's lucky that we only have to pay $299 and not more.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
You said it mate. The Wakefield is only $80 + licence for as many laps as you can do..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #16
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah i had the same experience, my girl and some mates throu in for a ticket at eastern creek, and yeah couldnt sqeeze more than 175 out of it down the straight, my instructor was also 'ordinary' would not shut up and also had kittens if ya got into a nice fast groove, but it was good cos i didnt have to pay for it it was also dissapointing that i only got to do a 1/2 track and not full laps.....
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #17
LTD351T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I felt sorry for the instructor, he just sits in these stinking hot cars and tells all of us wannabe drivers how to do it, over and over again, they must get the ИИИИs sometimes.
LTD351T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

i have a ticket i will be going sometime this year . ( eastern creek) my wife done it last year and i spoke to an instructor . they are xr8's with moded exhausts and slicks.
. after doing the drive day in the gt i'm looking forward for a comparison. when i do it i'll post up the verdict of my thoughts.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yep I did the one at QR in 2004 in the supercheap auto AU racecar - yes it did have slicks , stiff as suspension, a roll cage and no insulation and sounded loud and bouncy BUT my car pulls a higher speed down the front straight than that the V8 racecar did about 150 and mine can push 160+ and the brakes on mine were 100% better then the race car and turn 1 I can do about 130 comfortably and the V8 race car felt uneasy at that speed thru the turn.
Mine was a gift from a competition and in hind sight I would not pay $300 for 5 hot (luke warm) laps in one of these. I had more fun in my own car at QR than the V8 race car expierience
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
Ringo
I see you....

You don't think that the accelerator in these hot lap cars might be modified to not give wide open throttle when the accelerator is on the floor?

My local go kart joint does the same thing by having a loose accel cable.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #21
hotxy71
i want a blower.....

Rapid, where did you do your drive? At Calder its 3rd and 4th gears only. No exceptions. Some corners really really wanted 2nd.

Stocky but tidy!

XY Fairmont Sedan
Electric Blue
302 Windsor
C4
Custom Exhaust
18" ROH RT's
Old 05-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #22
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Were you down there friday ?

I was there friday as well with a few friends. We chucked in for a mates Bucks party, got some great pics .
Was a great kick off to a long drunken night
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #23
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotxy71
On a high note (read: bragging lol.... ) i set the quickest "unoffical" time of the day, and caused a "hero" who thought he could drive to spin! lol.... bloody holden drivers!!! haha.

Can you remember what your time was? I've done 1:13 around there in my road car (Wheels had a GT auto with a slighty suss transmission doing 1:12s - the auto Typhoon was quicker again).
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #24
hotxy71
i want a blower.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Can you remember what your time was?
nah, just going by what the intructor told me. Apparently, they dont keep timers because it "promotes bad and irresposible driving" It must've been quick though because i was staying with an instructor who was driving a car on his own out there.

Wish they had timed it!!

Stocky but tidy!

XY Fairmont Sedan
Electric Blue
302 Windsor
C4
Custom Exhaust
18" ROH RT's
Old 06-04-2006, 11:42 PM   #25
smooth operator
Starter Motor

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I've commented. I have been overseas on business for some time and now back in Oz. I too have had the V8 race experience, a number of times. Please allow me to add my experiences. For me it was very exciting to drive The Creek in a "race car" I have to comment on some of the misinformation however. The car I drove on two seperate occasions was in fact a FPV GT. At no point did the operators imply what type of vehicle I would drive. They certainly expressed it as an experience.

I was not aware that people misunderstood the meaning of "race experience" is it not what the name implies, in fact a race "experience". I would suggest to you from my times at the creek there would have been up to a couple of hundred participants taking part and judging by the look on their faces they were certainly well pleased with their efforts and went away feeling very pleased with their "experience"

May I suggest that if you payed a little more attention to the briefing that takes place prior to suiting up, the clear message was into the main straight is all about your corner speed, positioning and sling shoting onto the straight. They emphasised that a number of times. I take it from many of your posting you either didnt listen or simply were not able to follow the instructions or may be a little short on ability.

You know what thy say about a poor tradesman??

On my occassions at the Creek I posted above 190 ks constantly, but was far more focussed on the upcoming turn 1. If you listened to the instructor and do as he suggests silly as it sounds it actually works. The speed down the straight is all about the previous corner and how you set it up. The instructor I had was a guy named Chris and he was terrific, he certainly knew his stuff and was extremely calm and very helpful.

Some of you guys may need to have a look at your style or your ability as harsh as that may sound, dont forget the tradesman!!

I spoke to many drivers on the day and to a man they expressed that their experienced was sensational. If you take a minute to consider a number of very important facts that sadly are overlooked in some people efforts with harsh judgement and simple lack of understanding. Ever considered the cost of outright hire of Eastern Creek, the large number of staff on hand to ensure your saftey, the cost of the equipment (excluding "race cars") not to mention the absurd cost of insurances and the list goes on!

I took a toilet break prior to my drive (a nervous one) and walked past a pit garage a few garages from the briefing room. It was full of spares, there must have been 15 / 20 wheel and tyres. I am no technical person but it is fair to say they carry plenty of stock just in case some of you have a problem, not me because I listened intently to my instructor.

Yes, it is a fair bit of cash for the drive, but I still say it is great value. I have driven twice and I will return and take more friends with me for a great day out.

Sadly, there is always an elemet of just a few who are never happy, but for those few as is always the case the silent majority were extremely satisfied. I for one certain will return and I expect my results will improve as they did over my first time.

See you there!

Last edited by smooth operator; 06-04-2006 at 11:58 PM.
smooth operator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #26
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth operator
Hi guys,

It has been a while since I've commented. I have been overseas on business for some time and now back in Oz. I too have had the V8 race experience, a number of times. Please allow me to add my experiences. For me it was very exciting to drive The Creek in a "race car" I have to comment on some of the misinformation however. The car I drove on two seperate occasions was in fact a FPV GT. At no point did the operators imply what type of vehicle I would drive. They certainly expressed it as an experience.

I was not aware that people misunderstood the meaning of "race experience" is it not what the name implies, in fact a race "experience". I would suggest to you from my times at the creek there would have been up to a couple of hundred participants taking part and judging by the look on their faces they were certainly well pleased with their efforts and went away feeling very pleased with their "experience"

May I suggest that if you payed a little more attention to the briefing that takes place prior to suiting up, the clear message was into the main straight is all about your corner speed, positioning and sling shoting onto the straight. They emphasised that a number of times. I take it from many of your posting you either didnt listen or simply were not able to follow the instructions or may be a little short on ability.

You know what thy say about a poor tradesman??

On my occassions at the Creek I posted above 190 ks constantly, but was far more focussed on the upcoming turn 1. If you listened to the instructor and do as he suggests silly as it sounds it actually works. The speed down the straight is all about the previous corner and how you set it up. The instructor I had was a guy named Chris and he was terrific, he certainly knew his stuff and was extremely calm and very helpful.

Some of you guys may need to have a look at your style or your ability as harsh as that may sound, dont forget the tradesman!!

I spoke to many drivers on the day and to a man they expressed that their experienced was sensational. If you take a minute to consider a number of very important facts that sadly are overlooked in some people efforts with harsh judgement and simple lack of understanding. Ever considered the cost of outright hire of Eastern Creek, the large number of staff on hand to ensure your saftey, the cost of the equipment (excluding "race cars") not to mention the absurd cost of insurances and the list goes on!

I took a toilet break prior to my drive (a nervous one) and walked past a pit garage a few garages from the briefing room. It was full of spares, there must have been 15 / 20 wheel and tyres. I am no technical person but it is fair to say they carry plenty of stock just in case some of you have a problem, not me because I listened intently to my instructor.

Yes, it is a fair bit of cash for the drive, but I still say it is great value. I have driven twice and I will return and take more friends with me for a great day out.

Sadly, there is always an elemet of just a few who are never happy, but for those few as is always the case the silent majority were extremely satisfied. I for one certain will return and I expect my results will improve as they did over my first time.

See you there!
well i think my wife would agree with you from her experiance. i'll find out shortly.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #27
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Does anyone else think that "Smooth Operator" sounds a little over convineintly knowledgeable about this event?

"I just went to the bathroom and happened to walk past a room FULL of spares.."

You.. Mr Smooth Operator... sound awfully like a manager in damage control...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #28
smooth operator
Starter Motor

My dear boy,

If you have infact been to this event you will realise that the toilets are located behind the garages just a short walk from the briefing room. It certainly was not a difficult task as the door was open and a couple of mechanics working on a car with a large pantec opposite with the door open. Why do some people when they dont undestand attemp to discredit. Have you attended any of these days??

Simply any driver / person who a attended the venue would have no difficulty making the same observation.

To the best of my memory, when I booked my drive the office for V8 race was based in Melbourne. I sir live in Sydney, or are specifics and acurate detail not something that you retain without assistance.
smooth operator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post