Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
sirchAU
'mechanically-challenged'

Default Help with reupholstering seats (in leather)! Experience with this seller?

G'day all.

Have been thinking of upgrading the stock fabric trim in my series 1 Falcon S to leather, as my front seats are looking pretty crappy atm and i hate throwover covers. Would like to get the front and back seats re-done in black leather, with perforated black centres, and navy blue double stitching. Ideally would also like to change the door inserts and armrests to match too (but this isn't so much of a priority), although my budget is tight. With my bday and xmas coming up, have been dropping a few hints to the missus, hoping she pulls thru! ;)

Anyway, been looking around the internet for some reasonably priced leather covers (factory fit style ones, not throwovers) and came across these guys based in Brisbane on ebay: Proseat Auto Interior Centre, Brisbane
Compared to other prices, theirs are very cheap ($320 for a front pair, or $495 for front and rear, +$35 shipping to Melbourne)
Eg.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these guys and their products? All experience feedback, good and bad, would be greatly appreciated. I ask because they have an unusually low positive feedback rating for ebay (86% or thereabouts). They are made from 'reborn leather'. Anyone have any experience with this type of leather? From the photos the seats look great, with a very genuine factory look about them, and they come with DIY install instructions. They also have a fitter based in Melbourne who can install them if I feel I'm not up to the task.

Anyhow, would love to hear some stories from other AU owners or just anybody who has gone down this path of reupholstering their interiors/seats in leather, and not just from the ebay seller above. How easy are they to fit? Do they look as good as the photos? Do they feel good? etc etc...

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

Last edited by sirchAU; 15-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
sirchAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Help with reupholstering seats (in leather)!

I gave this some thought and decided no. I have a stock AUII.
So I have been looking out for leather for a while. But for me, if you can 'get' leather (2nd hand seats, ebay wreckers etc) and they are in good nic, you I would still need to get leather door trims, power windows for the rear doors (that would include switches and wiring loom) as well. In the end I thought my car is only worth XX, so I got neoprene seat covers instead and swapped drivers foam for one in better nick. This way I can sell the covers if /when I move on and get some money back.
I got my covers from here;
http://www.thewetseat.com/pages/price-guide.html
and on my build thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1238536&page=6

Proseat have been around for a while but I have no idea on service or quality of product.
Just my thoughts
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres fairlane interior on ebay for $750 from memory

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
sirchAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
I gave this some thought and decided no. I have a stock AUII.
So I have been looking out for leather for a while. But for me, if you can 'get' leather (2nd hand seats, ebay wreckers etc) and they are in good nic, you I would still need to get leather door trims, power windows for the rear doors (that would include switches and wiring loom) as well. In the end I thought my car is only worth XX, so I got neoprene seat covers instead and swapped drivers foam for one in better nick. This way I can sell the covers if /when I move on and get some money back.
I got my covers from here;
http://www.thewetseat.com/pages/price-guide.html
and on my build thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1238536&page=6

Proseat have been around for a while but I have no idea on service or quality of product.
Just my thoughts
UK
Thanks U_K. Those neoprene covers do look pretty good, I guess i'll look into them. BUT....

I really have my heart set on some leather seats! Have always wanted factory-look leather but never been able to afford. I do plan on keeping this car for as long as i possibly can, so resale value/getting my money back etc, is not really entering my line of thinking. This car is mine until she dies or some idiot writes her off...

As far as rear power windows, not really interested as I NEVER sit in the back. Was initially considering just doing the front seats (looking for some 2nd hand Fairmont or XR leather seats from wreckers/ebay) and leaving the back stock, such is the disregard i have for the back seat, but decided that wouldn't quite look right, so now want to do both front and back. And when the missus does finally push some kids out, I don't want them to be constantly playing with them, breaking them etc. I've seen my nephews go to town on Dad's power windows. Why do kids find them so entertaining!? And I like that you can open and close the back ones without the keys.

Door trims/armrests will also get done eventually. And in getting just plain black seats with blue stitching, it will (kinda) match the current blue-ish 'S' fabric trims and 'warm charcoal' (black) interior. I could live with that, for now. Because I don't have a huge amount of money to throw straight into the car, the trims and stuff can wait.

Cheers
Old 15-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
Cúl-Báire

Default Re: Help with reupholstering seats (in leather)! Experience with this seller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirchAU
G'day all.

Have been thinking of upgrading the stock fabric trim in my series 1 Falcon S to leather, as my front seats are looking pretty crappy atm and i hate throwover covers. Would like to get the front and back seats re-done in black leather, with perforated black centres, and navy blue double stitching. Ideally would also like to change the door inserts and armrests to match too (but this isn't so much of a priority), although my budget is tight. With my bday and xmas coming up, have been dropping a few hints to the missus, hoping she pulls thru! ;)

Anyway, been looking around the internet for some reasonably priced leather covers (factory fit style ones, not throwovers) and came across these guys based in Brisbane on ebay: Proseat Auto Interior Centre, Brisbane
Compared to other prices, theirs are very cheap ($320 for a front pair, or $495 for front and rear, +$35 shipping to Melbourne)
Eg.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these guys and their products? All experience feedback, good and bad, would be greatly appreciated. I ask because they have an unusually low positive feedback rating for ebay (86% or thereabouts). They are made from 'reborn leather'. Anyone have any experience with this type of leather? From the photos the seats look great, with a very genuine factory look about them, and they come with DIY install instructions. They also have a fitter based in Melbourne who can install them if I feel I'm not up to the task.

Anyhow, would love to hear some stories from other AU owners or just anybody who has gone down this path of reupholstering their interiors/seats in leather, and not just from the ebay seller above. How easy are they to fit? Do they look as good as the photos? Do they feel good? etc etc...

Many thanks in advance,
Chris
Had a mate buy some for her Commodore ute; while the leather and stitching was of quite good quality the service she recieved from Proseat was well shithouse! She waited weeks for responses; stuff was missing or the incorrect colour and had to wait weeks again for the right stuff (console lid from memory).

She also commented that they were near impossible to get on due to being a really tight fit (they need to be to look good). If you do buy from them I recommend getting their fitter to fit them; it might cost you a few hundred bucks but well worth spending just to keep you sain.

Leah did comment that she'd buy them again though; but would go the professional fitted option second time around.

Hope that helps!
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The cheapest option by far would be to pull some leathers out of a wreck. Your rear door trim centres would be the only part needing to be done. Unless you do decide to do a power window mod (dont worry about them being played with, they come with a driver side locking switch to prevent that).
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would be a good and cheaper way to get TE50 interior into my XR8, black and red leather MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
sirchAU

Default Re: Help with reupholstering seats (in leather)! Experience with this seller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Had a mate buy some for her Commodore ute; while the leather and stitching was of quite good quality the service she recieved from Proseat was well shithouse! She waited weeks for responses; stuff was missing or the incorrect colour and had to wait weeks again for the right stuff (console lid from memory).

She also commented that they were near impossible to get on due to being a really tight fit (they need to be to look good). If you do buy from them I recommend getting their fitter to fit them; it might cost you a few hundred bucks but well worth spending just to keep you sain.

Leah did comment that she'd buy them again though; but would go the professional fitted option second time around.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for that info mate, duly noted!
Old 16-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
AU Mont
Banned

poor form !!

theres a bloke thats been waiting 4 months since making payment, and is finding it difficult to make contact with this mob
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
sirchAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
poor form !!

theres a bloke thats been waiting 4 months since making payment, and is finding it difficult to make contact with this mob
Cheers for that AU Mont. I've already noticed their customer service isnt the greatest. Been 6 days since i enquired about getting some made up and still no response... i guess ebay feedback ratings dont lie. Might have to give these guys a miss and look elsewhere. Pity because their products do look great.
Old 16-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

IF you are happy with the door trim then thats sorts it for you. Wreakers is probably goign to be cheaper but waiting is a pain for the right set at the right price. Have you had a look on other forums (just as a guest of course)? There is bound to be a post by someone in your state getting leather for their car (holden or Jap cars). If AU Mont says stay away I would go with his experinece. Good luck, I thought about thos for 2 years before I did mine, always looking for a good leather deal.

Uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 16-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
sirchAU

Quote:
IF you are happy with the door trim then thats sorts it for you. Wreakers is probably goign to be cheaper but waiting is a pain for the right set at the right price. Have you had a look on other forums (just as a guest of course)? There is bound to be a post by someone in your state getting leather for their car (holden or Jap cars). If AU Mont says stay away I would go with his experinece. Good luck, I thought about thos for 2 years before I did mine, always looking for a good leather deal.

Uk
Yeah I've had a little squiz at a couple of different forums, and all over tradingpost, ebay, gumtree etc, and called my local wreckers... found nothing that I'm after. Seems the most common 2nd hand leather seat sets around are Fairmont/Fairlane/Ghia in grey, and not all that much cheaper either to be honest. I really want sportier looking black with blue stitching and perforated centres, a lot harder to find without getting some custom made. And I'm a bit impatient... when i put my mind to something, i want it NOW, or ASAP lol.

Did find these guys (leatherseats11) on ebay based in Sydney:FORD-FALCON-AU-SEDAN-Real-Leather-Seat-cover-Back $349

AU-S3-XR6-TRICKFORD-UTE-Real-Leather-Seat-cover-Front $299

They cost a little bit more, but their feedback rating is much better (98.9%) than proseats. Emailed him asking if those s3 front seat covers would fit on an s1 and he got back to me straight away saying yes. The ones I'm after are pertty much exactly the same as the ones in the pics...

Anyone got an experience with these guys?

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far, you've all been real helpful. Cheers lads!
Old 16-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
sirchAU

Just put a bid on for the front pair... The wheels of leather goodness are in motion!
Old 16-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

they look like they would look awesome! hrmmm.... time to consult the financial advisor methinks
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
sirchAU

Or just live on baked beans and toast for a few weeks ;)
Old 16-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Just put a bid on for the front pair... The wheels of leather goodness are in motion!
id almost bet my left testicle those are the same as all the other eBay "leatherette" covers.......

i bought a pair of Madison leatherette boxing gloves and they lasted all but 7 days before they literally fell apart, then bought a generic pair of genuine leather, and they still 100% after 2 years

big difference
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
sirchAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
id almost bet my left testicle those are the same as all the other eBay "leatherette" covers.......

i bought a pair of Madison leatherette boxing gloves and they lasted all but 7 days before they literally fell apart, then bought a generic pair of genuine leather, and they still 100% after 2 years

big difference
Is that the same as that "Reborn Leather" that proseats have?

I'm guessing/hoping these are the real deal, ad specifically says genuine leather and the company is called "Leather Revolution" so you'd hope it's the real deal. Too late now, can't take my bid back. Will just have to wait and see.

Even if they are 'leatherette', i won't be punching too much stuff with my seats, so guessing they'll last at least more than 7 days
Old 16-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
sirchAU

Just heard back from seller, can do front and back for me for $500... stoked!
Old 16-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Just heard back from seller, can do front and back for me for $500... stoked!
Let us know how it goes and take lots of pics. I am sure people would like to see the end result. Good luck.
UK
Old 17-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
sirchAU

Quote:
Let us know how it goes and take lots of pics. I am sure people would like to see the end result. Good luck.
UK
I'll post tons of pics, for sure. Will borrow the missus fancy SLR camera, cuz the mobile just doesn't cut it. Thanks for the good luck too, i'm hoping this isn't a major stuff-around like some experiences you hear of.

So far the seller at Leather Revolution (leatherseats11) has been really good though. Friendly, answered all questions promptly, and were pretty generous in their discount (wasn't expecting $150 off, can spend that extra cash on pro fitting). It is 'genuine leather' according to them, so that is a bonus, though I'm not too fussed either way to be honest. As long as it looks and feels good, is durable, and fits perfect, i'll be happy.

So in summing up, price is same as proseats, customer service a million times better (still haven't heard back from them! ), and it's real leather, not that 'reborn' stuff. And if all goes to plan, they will arrive just in time for my birthday (mid-Dec).

So far, so good. Will keep you all posted in my build thread!

Cheers to everyone for their feedback too.

Now the wait begins...
Old 17-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #21
sirchAU

The thing that lead me to do leather seat mod:

My tired looking driver seat.

The rest of the seats are spotless, but the driver seat has seen better days.

UK, i was considering doing what you did with your drivers seat and changing the foam, although i think mine is in better condition than yours was (though won't really know unless i take the cover off). It does still feel quite supportive and bouncy. Not quite as 'full' as the passenger seat, but still good. Just looks #$%!

Last edited by sirchAU; 17-11-2011 at 02:24 AM.
sirchAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
The thing that lead me to do leather seat mod:

My tired looking driver seat.

The rest of the seats are spotless, but the driver seat has seen better days.

UK, i was considering doing what you did with your drivers seat and changing the foam, although i think mine is in better condition than yours was (though won't really know unless i take the cover off). It does still feel quite supportive and bouncy. Not quite as 'full' as the passenger seat, but still good. Just looks #$%!
The quick and easy thing to do is just do a strighht swap for the passanger side base. I did this how to when I swaped the foam from a wreaked AU

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...10#post3600910

If you are cover the old cloth the straight swap is easy. Even changing the top foam is better becasue the side you get inh and out of are different, and by default the passanger side has wear and tear.

UK
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you got your covers yet, just wondering as am looking at doing the same
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
sirchAU

Nah haven't got them yet, seller said he would be posting them out early next week. Will take some photos and comment on the quality etc when they come, but won't be getting them fitted until after xmas. Want to try and find somewhere that can professionally fit them for cheaper than the $400-mark that ive been getting quoted.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #25
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the leather cover won't fix the fact that you need new foam
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #26
baxtc1

Tried the Proseat for my BA ute, they say 2.5-3 weeks for production, 3 months, I got a refund. I won't recommend them.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
sirchAU

Covers arrived today! They look and feel great, and smell like leather, so as far as my untrained eye can tell, they're real leather. Will post up a couple of pics when i get the chance, after work tonight or tomorrow.

Unfortunately won't be able to get them fitted until after xmas, and/or until i can find a decent quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
the leather cover won't fix the fact that you need new foam
The foam's on the passenger seat are A1, drivers seat not too bad, so was thinking of doing what UK said and swapping driver and and passenger foams over. If the fitter who puts them on decides the foam under the driver seat is too shot, we can always get some donor's out of a wreck. Very minor issue.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #28
sirchAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtc1
Tried the Proseat for my BA ute, they say 2.5-3 weeks for production, 3 months, I got a refund. I won't recommend them.
They are hopeless... I never even got a response at all from them. It's like they don't want to make $$$....
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
sirchAU

Just got a quote for $200 for installation from V.I.P Seat Covers in Oakleigh... Might just get these in before the new year after all.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of pics would be great, of the covers now and the finished product.

Can you tell a difference in material between the seat faces and the front seat backs for example?
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post