Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default VE back to XR8.

Hey all, I have just spent some time with an NT cop here in Alice. It looks like NT gov has retired their VE patrol cars and gone back to ford XR8's and XR6T's. I wonder why???

Old 28-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Probarly cheaper??

Not sure, the SS is far far superior then the XR8 so it seems a little odd.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
BLDNUT01

coz the VE is crap and i heard that in the ve if you do a handbrake turn the car shuts off
Old 28-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDNUT01
coz the VE is crap and i heard that in the ve if you do a handbrake turn the car shuts off
Thats a positive reply...

The VE is hardly crap, although in V6 form its not that great the V8s are definately a better car...
Old 28-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Probarly cheaper??

The Gov always gets full fleet discount on all the cars they buy. Not sure that cost was the issue. The cop thought that it was the car had trouble coping with the extreme cold that we get up here in the winter. But he heard that second hand, so dont treat it as fact.
Old 28-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes but Ford may do them a better deal, plus its normal for them to alternate brands on big orders, they usually buy a shitload of Holdens then the next round by a shitload of Fords, in QLD we had a shitload of VZ's but now they change them all over for BFII Futuras, which is good, no MORE poverty packs
Old 28-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
yes but Ford may do them a better deal, plus its normal for them to alternate brands on big orders, they usually buy a shitload of Holdens then the next round by a shitload of Fords, in QLD we had a shitload of VZ's but now they change them all over for BFII Futuras, which is good, no MORE poverty packs
Too true, but they replaced 8 VE highway cars with 8 XR8's. They only bought the VE's in January to enforce the 130k limits out here, which the cops reckons that they cant enforce anyway.
Old 28-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I'm still of the beleaf that they shouldn't get these sporty cars anyway, All they need is a base model with V8 option and that's all, Wings huge rims full house electrics leather etc should be left to the public.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^well i bet if you were a cop, you wouldn't be saying that
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Aussie
I'm still of the beleaf that they shouldn't get these sporty cars anyway, All they need is a base model with V8 option and that's all, Wings huge rims full house electrics leather etc should be left to the public.

Yeah thats good, lets get a V8 without the factory fitted bits to make it hold together...

Reason they by the Sports models is because they get better resale on them and they are safer then dropping a V8 in an Omega / XT with 16 inch wheels, sloppy brakes etc.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Hmmm XT V8 or XR8....
I know what I'd rather in a pursuit.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Hey all, I have just spent some time with an NT cop here in Alice. It looks like NT gov has retired their VE patrol cars and gone back to ford XR8's and XR6T's. I wonder why???
i thought i heard from somewhere that the VE's were in the dealerships every odd week being fixed, they were always breaking down or had some sort of troubles with all the police gear.

probably not true though

the BF MK2 XT/Futuras look tons better in police trim than the VE i reckon anyway
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #13
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Yeah thats good, lets get a V8 without the factory fitted bits to make it hold together...

Reason they by the Sports models is because they get better resale on them and they are safer then dropping a V8 in an Omega / XT with 16 inch wheels, sloppy brakes etc.
Well you wouldn't just toss it in a vase model and expect to drive it with stock suspension and brakes.
I said leave out all the sporty stuff they don't need, They don't need the centre screens as they block them off, Leather seats sporty kits 18-19" wheels they really don't need that.. And that is why going back some years the base model with V8 option was great.
My brothers BA Fairmont is a ex police car, 16" rims lowered it did have wider tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
Hmmm XT V8 or XR8....
I know what I'd rather in a pursuit.
The lighter XT that goes faster??
Old 28-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDNUT01
Heh funny you should say that because that's exactly what they XR8s would be doing if you did a hardlock turn like when the cops try and do a U-turn to pursue somebody going in the other direction. The reason for it was that the extra load with the car on full lock along with all the police gear would actually stall the car (making them a sitting duck in the middle of the road, you can imagine the police that had experienced this were not too happy).

However i'd prefer the BF XR8 in a pursuit with the premium brake option and a ZF behind it. The VE brakes and transmission are woeful at the best of times.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
...The lighter XT that goes faster??
But doesn't turn or stop as well as it's cousins with better suspension and brakes. If I was a police officer, I know which car I'd rather be driver in a pursuit.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #16
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
? You are forgetting you said it'll have an 8 in it, which of course means it'll need all the essentials to run it. The weight advantage by then will be minimal if any.

The XR8 is easily the better option.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
BF XT with 230kw 3v V8- 1770kg

BF XR8 with Boss 260 Fitted- 1784kg

It's only 14kg!
Old 28-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well you wouldn't just toss it in a vase model and expect to drive it with stock suspension and brakes.
I said leave out all the sporty stuff they don't need, They don't need the centre screens as they block them off, Leather seats sporty kits 18-19" wheels they really don't need that.. And that is why going back some years the base model with V8 option was great.
My brothers BA Fairmont is a ex police car, 16" rims lowered it did have wider tyres.

They dont option them with leather etc, most of the xr8s they order with 17s only, its all about resale...
Old 28-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #19
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
But doesn't turn or stop as well as it's cousins with better suspension and brakes. If I was a police officer, I know which car I'd rather be driver in a pursuit.
You know the price to upgrade suspension and brakes form factory? Much cheaper on there budget then ours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
? You are forgetting you said it'll have an 8 in it, which of course means it'll need all the essentials to run it. The weight advantage by then will be minimal if any.

The XR8 is easily the better option.
Just suspension and brakes nothing more, It wont be weighed down by heavy leather seats body kits and large rims, The police drop back a size with rims anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
BF XT with 230kw 3v V8- 1770kg

BF XR8 with Boss 260 Fitted- 1784kg

It's only 14kg!
Must have had something in the boot then.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #20
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
They dont option them with leather etc, most of the xr8s they order with 17s only, its all about resale...
The police don't sell them most of the time, And the car yards that do have a heap of them to sell, They get them from auctions so cheap if we were able to pick them up at the price we would buy 1 for the wife also. Maybe a second to sell ourselves make some cash.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #21
gtfpv
GT

i wish someone knew the answer to the 1st post, rather than all this crap about leather seats !!!!!!!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #22
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You know the price to upgrade suspension and brakes form factory? Much cheaper on there budget then ours.

Just suspension and brakes nothing more, It wont be weighed down by heavy leather seats body kits and large rims, The police drop back a size with rims anyway.

Must have had something in the boot then.
You can just say "i'm wrong" and be done with it, rather than prolonging it and making yourself look incredibly ignorant and stubborn.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Probarly cheaper??

i would have left out both the 'far's' in that statement. they are superior, yes, but i wouldn't say by a huge margin.

i guess its the difference between getting the donuts fresh out the oven or after they've been sitting for a bit on the tray to cool. can't imagine there'd be too much else to do in the alice
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #24
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSW
You can just say "i'm wrong" and be done with it, rather than prolonging it and making yourself look incredibly ignorant and stubborn.
Your to kind.

But if i am was wrong i have never had a problem with letting the world know i am..
No i'm not i'll tell you why, Many years back we had a police pack, It was basically a base model with V8 it was really a XR8 or SS in base outfit.. And it's missing today and this is the kit they should be offering to the police, They don't need half the stuff in these cars today these sporty cars are as close to Fairmonts and Calais and you can get.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #25
MRJUCY
Fordless

We've had some pretty patchy quality with the VEs in our fleet at work some have been back numerous times with collapsed suspension, loose brake parts & dodgy wiring. It's still sadly quite common for all new models to have these sorts of problems I'm sure when the update model comes out they'll be on top of most of these.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #26
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

We had a VE taken back with complaints of "funny engine noise".

Turns out it was just the crappy sound of the Alloytec V6
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #27
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no more of this if i was a cop....because if i was youd already be in hospital with bullet wounds

i think itd be more that the xr8 were better suited to the environment, straight line power means nothing in a pursuit your always gonna be behind the suspect anyways

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #28
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Issue with the cost of tyres perhaps?? Exactly the reason why VZ SS had the 17' ute wheels. Hopefully Ford will rectify the issue it has with the XR8 and its constant electrical issues that dont seem to plague the turbos. The eights smell as though they are over-fuelling too....
Old 28-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #29
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the NT still have XR6T pursuit cars? The ones in gunmetal grey with orange stripes?

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #30
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Cost of the car along with running costs, even tyre replacement size is a issue.
They would rather spent money on 17's than 18''..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post