Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
xalent
Red Eye Racing

Default How much to buy your pride and joy?

I reckon that two out of three times that I take my coop out for a spin, someone will come up to me at a servo or wherever and ask me if I want to sell it. I just smile and say no and that's usually the end of it. The other day a guy made a substantial genuine offer, the size of which made me actually contemplate selling her, but only for a liitle bit. After I added everything up, it just didn't seem enough, even though if I advertised it for that much I think people would think it was overpriced?? I guess this is why she is 'not for sale'. He told me that everything has a price, which I agree with, just that his offer wasn't enough. I'm not sure what would be enough...

Anyways, how often do you get poeple asking to buy your car, and have any of you had an offer to good to refuse?
To me, my car is more than just the sum of its parts and labour. Its a lifestyle, a part of the family, almost a religion.... I'm sure you know what I mean

xalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After selling my Superbird and Tango XBGT Coupes, and now being so lucky to have the one i recently bought, i can say that it will never have another owner.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
xalent
Red Eye Racing

Thats pretty much my thinking too. But I could build a better faster stronger coop out of my other coop easily, especially having all the money in one hit, unlike the building of the black coop. OR I could almost pay my house off and have the freedom to leave work next time work s hits me off. OR I could buy one of FPVs finest.
None of these options seem very appealing to me, none of them get my hands shaking like they do after going for a quick spin!
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought my calais for 8000 and two weeks later i got offered 9000 for it, didn't sell it though, i don't think i'd get another as good.
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalent
To me, my car is more than just the sum of its parts and labour. Its a lifestyle, a part of the family, almost a religion.... I'm sure you know what I mean
That is so well said, and so true!!

I never thought anyone would be remotely interested in a stocko XB, but the amount of people that have offered to buy it is simply bewildering. I've had one particular offer that I simply couldn't believe, it was more than what I thought anyone would pay for it, but I just can't sell the XB... regardless of how many times i've thought about it. As I say it’s my baby, and I don't think there is anyone in this world that would appreciate it and spend as much time with it as I do!

You always get the people that say 'oh I had one of them years ago, wish I had never sold it', well all I can say is I'm not going to be one of them!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
That is so well said, and so true!!

I never thought anyone would be remotely interested in a stocko XB, but the amount of people that have offered to buy it is simply bewildering. I've had one particular offer that I simply couldn't believe, it was more than what I thought anyone would pay for it, but I just can't sell the XB... regardless of how many times i've thought about it. As I say it’s my baby, and I don't think there is anyone in this world that would appreciate it and spend as much time with it as I do!

You always get the people that say 'oh I had one of them years ago, wish I had never sold it', well all I can say is I'm not going to be one of them!
Would you like a twin?
I know where there is an XB Fairmont sedan for sale, same colour with vinyl roof.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
Would you like a twin?
I know where there is an XB Fairmont sedan for sale, same colour with vinyl roof.
hehehe, I would so dearly love a twin for her, but... in reality I soon won't have the room for her.. I'm already getting another car....

(unless it was given to me, then i'm sure i could make room!!! hahahaha)
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

just about every time the coupe is seen in public, somebody wants to buy it. How much do you sell a car for, if you've always wanted it, you hunted for a long time to find it, you have spent way too much time and money on it, you don't think you could ever replace it, people recognise it....long before they recognise you, it gives you an excuse to spend time on a ford forum. etc......?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

It's a dilemma thats for sure!! If someone offered silly money for mine it'd certainly give me something to think about, especially if the cash was plonked in my lap. One thing's for sure, I'd probably never get another one.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
mowog
Discovery 4

Ok its not a Ford but...

I had a real nice 1980 1275 Moke Californian...

Due a deal I made with the wife I said I would advertise it for sale... Note I said advertise...

I put a high price on it and put it on carsales... It took months then I got a call about it and I said I wasnt negotialble they went away I put the price up $500 on the add... With this process I added $2500 to the price of the car. Until some wally called and wanted it at any price... I tried every tactic to turn him off but because the wife was listening to the call it was real hard to just tell him no you cant have it.

So it went as is unregistered sight unseen for $10500...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mate has an old gemmi 4 speed manual. the colour is beige and looks pretty neat. he has damage to the rear end because he reversed it. i was with the other day and a guy yelled out. i want to buy your car i want to buy your car. my mates not for sale and kept driving. he told me another guy offerd 6 grand for it. i cant see why? its not in perfect condition, its not fast at all and when he does sharp turns it leans so much on the side that it scrapes. for 6 grand id take it and buy a early 90s cars
Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Dosen't matter where I go theres always somebody that wants to buy my car. I've been offered good money for her up to ten times what I paid for her. But no matter what price they offer or what it worth it is actually worth nothing in dollar value to me because I'll never sell it. Because I've had her over 15 years now and it part of my family, so would you sell one of your kids? I think we all know the answer to that one.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we lived in Auckland my Brother-in-Law used to have a Mk1 Lotus Cortina in pristine condition, completely original, used to take it out only on special occasions etc, same thing, every time he took it anywhere everyone wanted to buy it.

Of course he never sold it, he just could never part with it, he loved that car............."then it got stolen!!",......... bunch of local yobs, smashed it up, trashed it, car was a write off, he was completely heartbroken.

So what does he do, hunts all over the country and ends up getting a Mk2 Lotus Cortina, not in as good a condition as the Mk1, but he does it up to immaculate condition, anyway to cut a long story short, he spent a lot of money on it and a lot of hard blood, sweat and tears on that car, got it looking beatifull...............and then that one got stolen as well!!

After that he just gave up just kept driving around in his Mk3 Cortina runaround, never bought another project after the Lotus's got stolen..........dont think he ever got over it either.

Far too many "****heads" around waiting to steal ya pride and joy out there, should just "string em up" in my opinion.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
When we lived in Auckland my Brother-in-Law used to have a Mk1 Lotus Cortina in pristine condition, completely original, used to take it out only on special occasions etc, same thing, every time he took it anywhere everyone wanted to buy it.

Of course he never sold it, he just could never part with it, he loved that car............."then it got stolen!!",......... bunch of local yobs, smashed it up, trashed it, car was a write off, he was completely heartbroken.

So what does he do, hunts all over the country and ends up getting a Mk2 Lotus Cortina, not in as good a condition as the Mk1, but he does it up to immaculate condition, anyway to cut a long story short, he spent a lot of money on it and a lot of hard blood, sweat and tears on that car, got it looking beatifull...............and then that one got stolen as well!!

After that he just gave up just kept driving around in his Mk3 Cortina runaround, never bought another project after the Lotus's got stolen..........dont think he ever got over it either.

Far too many "****heads" around waiting to steal ya pride and joy out there, should just "string em up" in my opinion.
what a sad story. why didnt he keep it locked up?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I don't leave mine anywhere to be stolen and at home she pretty locked up with a couple of 60+ kilo dogs running round the shed. If I know I'm going away then I pull the dizzy out of her and all my leads are numbered so its nothing to put it back in and time it up. If I have leave it in public I pull the rotor button out and carry it in my pocket and put the dizzy cap back on so it looks like nothing missing. If a thief can't take it in a matter of a few minute they usaully leave it. But I would love to find someone trying to steal mine because I'll tell you now he or she wouldn'd be lucky enough for me to turn them in to the cops. If you know what I mean. :togo:
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #16
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
what a sad story. why didnt he keep it locked up?
Trouble is he did have the Mk1 locked up, "dirty local toerags" broke into the garage and took it while he was out just trying to earn an honest living so as to keep them all on the dole.

The Mk2 was stolen from what is the equivalent to TAFE over here, he took it just that one particular day, he was only going to be gone an hour or so, came back to the carpark,........ car was gone.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #17
muppet

Mine is worth more than the money it is worth to me . I have often thought of how much I would sell it for if I had to , and the answer is allways twice as much as it is realistically worth . So unless someone comes along and offers me a really really silly amount of money for it I wont be selling and even then I probably wouldn't . I have only had one person ask me if I wanted to sell it , but he did chase me for a few K's waveing franticaly out the window for me to pull over . Of course the answer was not on you're life lol.

"To me, my car is more than just the sum of its parts and labour. Its a lifestyle, a part of the family, almost a religion.... I'm sure you know what I mean"

I know exactly what you mean it all comes down to whats more important to you , money or all the things you mentioned, and to me it is not the money and never will be .
Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #18
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me old mans mate sold his all original HT Monaro GTS back in late 70's to finance their first home. Always told himself he would buy another one when it was financially possible. That dream just keeps getting further and further away.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #19
Dezza
Parts bin special

Mmmm, a close-to-stock EA with stuffed shocks and a damaged front end... who would want to buy that?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #20
Kowalski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was restoring my Mustang fastback (65) in the late 90's, I was single & went all out thinking it'd never be worth to sell what I'd put into it. Now that they've taken off, I'd get my money back, but.....
If I ever got a genuine offer big enough to pry it from my hands, I'd just have to build another one EXACTLY like the one I already have. Color/engine/trans/wheels etc. Seems a bit pointless to me
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #21
WAXBFAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalent
I reckon that two out of three times that I take my coop out for a spin, someone will come up to me at a servo or wherever and ask me if I want to sell it. I just smile and say no and that's usually the end of it. The other day a guy made a substantial genuine offer, the size of which made me actually contemplate selling her, but only for a liitle bit. After I added everything up, it just didn't seem enough, even though if I advertised it for that much I think people would think it was overpriced?? I guess this is why she is 'not for sale'. He told me that everything has a price, which I agree with, just that his offer wasn't enough. I'm not sure what would be enough...

Anyways, how often do you get poeple asking to buy your car, and have any of you had an offer to good to refuse?
Seems like pretty much what most FORD Coupe owners get, esp at a place where you stop in public.
This is just because they are admirred
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #22
Miller
It's Millertime!

When ever I borrow my old man's two door RS2000, I alsmost ALWAYS get someone come up next to me asking to buy it. So far I've had an offer of 7k. I need to get some stickers made up for the rear windscreen saying 'not for sale'. Always good for a laugh though.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

7000 for my car
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id take $10000 for mine if someone offered me it. would be lucky if I could get that though.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #25
MadFairlane

I would let mine go for an offer of more than 15k...

VTEC: All the lag without the turbo, it's like waiting for bad sex.
MadFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, id take 20k for mine in a flash :
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #27
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

my sprint is permenantly up for sale..... just havent had a good enough offer yet
Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #28
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

I've got 2 cars people have given me some pretty good offers on , but I wouldn't sell either of them .

First one is my 1959 FC Holden (sorry for swearing) "Sports Sedan" , it was built as a racecar in 1970 by a guy , Keith Croft , of Pendle Hill in Sydney , I'm the 3rd owner . I purchased the car in 1974 , raced it for 12 yrs & kept it . I have been asking & looking for years to see if there's another "original" 70's FC Sports Sedan , all the guys on the FE/FC forum (Australia wide) have also been looking , but none have been found , so it MUST be pretty rare . I've got 3 guy's who would give me just about any price I asked (within reason) and another guy offered to swap me an "Immaculate ,original , low milage FC wagon" BUT too many good memories in this car AND I've had the car longer than I've known the Mrs , so she'd have to go first : and she won't leave , so the car stays .

The other one is my '74 XB Futura 302 , 134,000 k's , NO amount of money would get me to part with this car .
1/ It was my fathers , I convinced him to buy it in the first place (new) & he left it to me in his will .
2/ My son "Idolised" his grandfather & "want's to inherit" the car from me and keep it in the family (he'll have to wait a damn long time ) he's only 15 & got to get off his P's before he can even drive it .

So both of these are "not for sale" at any price .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 AM   #29
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Not attached to mine so off it would go if someone really wanted it.
I haven't found + owned a car that I'd consider un-sellable due to it being exactly what i wanted or the amount of work put in.
I thought the ED would be nice but now need/prefer a wagon.

I can obviously understand why some of the older or highly modified/personalised cars are "un-sellable"
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #30
SpooN XL

I get asked everytime I go out if the old girl is up for sale. She may well go this year to finance a new project but I think i will set the bar pretty high. Just to keep her around for a bit longer :
SpooN XL is offline   Reply With Quote