Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fog lights

Did a quick search and can't find similar discussion so...

OK, most people have a beef with people using fog lights in clear conditions, but today Sydney was particulary foggy for the morning commute, yet hardly anyone with fog lights used them, worse, most people still drove with NO lights on.

I have always had front and rear fogs on all my cars as I have lived in some fog prone areas. I even had them on my old EF and EL's (haven't had a chance to put them on the NC yet though). They are always used, and turned off pretty much the second that they are needed or not.

Anyway, its bad that people use them when they shouldn't, but not to use them when they should.... then what is the point?

Old 26-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
then what is the point?
Usually **** factor. Look at me with my fog lights on during the clear, sunny day!
Old 26-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Because most Australian cars don't have "Fog lights"!

True fog lights have a high intensity rearwards red light that is visable to following drivers.

No front mounted Driving light will enable you to see through fog, infact almost any light makes it harder to see

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Old 26-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grum, a lot of new cars only have front 'fog' lights, only a few do have the rear ones. The ARR's do recognise both front and rear, although most manufacturers do claim that front lights are fog lights (so they don't have to be wired to high beam circuit), even though they aren't. The more worthwhile rear ones are almost NEVER used in fog. Thing is though, that they are the only thing that makes your car visable to following drivers, tail lights are useless and hazards only marginally better. If you are keen to avoid a rear shunt, like we are, these are invaluable.

I disagree with front fog lights not assisting though. Correctly fitted and used lights (very rare) both white and amber, can make a HUGE difference to the regular foggy conditions driver. I know from experience and swear by them. They light the road much lower and shallower than standard lights because the fog usually floats just above the road. This gives correct intensity and angled lights a window of opportunity to light this limited area. Normal headlights, and incorrectly aligned lower front lights (such as most Commodores) just reflect back the light in the fog which is why you switch off main beam lights with proper fogs.

The BA XR ones aren't actually too bad though in true heavy fog.
Old 26-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is only 1/2 right yes white light tends to reflect back off fog but when mounted low (as fog lights should be) they will project the light further into the fog as it is generally thinner the lower you go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
Because most Australian cars don't have "Fog lights"!

True fog lights have a high intensity rearwards red light that is visable to following drivers.

No front mounted Driving light will enable you to see through fog, infact almost any light makes it harder to see

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 26-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

The ones that are standard in most of the Falcon range ie XR range are driving lights, not fog light.
Old 26-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Grum

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

BA lights with stock bulbs are hopeless in real fog - I'm talking for at the Farm (high Altitude) where you dont get out of the car to take a leak... otherwise you might get lost

East Coast Suspensions

BA/BF FPV parts for sale

Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Old 26-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

The lights are for "Mark Scaife wannabe's" hence why commodore drivers use them a lot.
They have zero practical use (I don't care others argue against this)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 26-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Grum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
The lights are for "Mark Scaife wannabe's" hence why commodore drivers use them a lot.
They have zero practical use (I don't care others argue against this)
Agreed but I don't follow when people claim they are dazzling to other drivers etc - they are the same wattage as the headlight bulbs and no brighter. They are just angled more towards the front of the car than down the road.

East Coast Suspensions

BA/BF FPV parts for sale

Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Old 26-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BA lights with stock bulbs are hopeless in real fog - I'm talking for at the Farm (high Altitude) where you dont get out of the car to take a leak... otherwise you might get lost
Yeah I forgot, my BA XR had some special globes of some description NOT the standards.

Sounds like where my farm was (1000m alt)!
Old 26-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
The ones that are standard in most of the Falcon range ie XR range are driving lights, not fog light.
They are not switched like driving lamps.
Old 26-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Can anyone give me any more info on the rear fog light? Any pictures of where they are usually mounted?
I wouldn't be a huge fan of my taillights in a fog and to avoid an unwanted accident would be great.
Old 26-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Pinch, not sure what sort of search you did but there are quite a few threads/posts on this and some of them got a bit heated but no probs. Seems many people think that they help at night but that doesnt gel with me as they only light up a very short distance in front of the car. That doesnt give any time to react no matter what. The Ford fraturnity say only Commonwhore drivers use them in the daytime (**** factor) but i notice some Ford drivers use them too albeit nowhere near as many. Law says you cant use unless in adverse weather conditions and a couple of people on here have been booked or warned for using them in daytime. KEEPLEFT can quote chapter and verse the ins and outs and the rules/laws/regulations/specifications of said devices. Good luck.
Old 26-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deesun - I thought there would be heaps too but I did a quick search for 'fog light' with the first two results pages not showing much relevance. I should have been more specific I guess.

Airmon - Aftermarket rear fogs are pretty hard to find. I got mine years ago from a stall under the escalators at Paddy's Haymarket (Sydney). Not sure if they are still there or if they still sell them. They were about $20 at the time. Had a quick look and not much doing on Ebay for them either. I mounted mine under the bumper, not really noticable unless turned on. Just two screws and a bit of wire and a switch I wired to the park circuit.

The cars that come with them have them either as one or two seperate lights in the bumper (like Excels) or one or two lights within the rear light cluster itself (BMW). Many of the new ones have one reverse light in one side and the red rear fog in the other (like VW New Beetle).
Old 26-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

In my FPV manual, they arent fog lights, they are called "driving lights"..
Old 26-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

All Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo models come with rear fog lights standard as these are required in Europe for all vehicles - hence the European models we get here have them by default. The front lights on all those above vehicles when fitted are actually fog lights and not driving lights.

I believe the driving lights on Falcon and Territory are more for practical night driving in the country and on back highways when out bush, to permit better coverage of road edges and perhaps assist in fog when possible. There's certainly no requirement for front or rear fogs in Australia and as a result the Aussie versions seem to be more a night-driving light than anything.

Either way, both see no real need in street-light equipped cities and towns.
Old 26-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

people are stupid. question answered!
Old 26-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #18
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Can anyone give me any more info on the rear fog light? Any pictures of where they are usually mounted?
I wouldn't be a huge fan of my taillights in a fog and to avoid an unwanted accident would be great.

this would be the rear fogs, in most Euro (or Euro built like RHD Jeeps & Chryslers) cars they are incorporated into the taillight housing.
they're the bottom high intensity red light, sorry about the crap photo.

i havn't seen the other ones though, that you can mount?
Old 26-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed but I don't follow when people claim they are dazzling to other drivers etc - they are the same wattage as the headlight bulbs and no brighter. They are just angled more towards the front of the car than down the road.
Agreed

People just like to whinge

The lights in question serve no purpose during the day or in fog conditions and are of very limited use at night as they shine so close to the front of the vehicle anyway.
Old 26-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I did a quick search on fog lights.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=43845

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=13940

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=52546

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=110672
Closed Thread