Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Default No offers? Firm? WTF?

I'm in the market for a second hand car and I come across many ads that say No offers or $10000 FIRM etc. I'm always perplexed by these statements. I, like many, want to know I've got a bargain or a good price and always like to think I could knock off at least a couple of hundred off an advertised price. With these ads of no offers etc, it really turns me off. I'd rather the person advertise for $10500 if he really wants $10000. Even though I end up paying the same amount, I FEEL like I have achieved something by knocking off $500. I just think 'no offers' and 'firm' wreak of arrogance. Would these people pay full retail when buying a new car? Thoughts?

1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 29-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: No offers? Firm? WTF?

i think if the person has priced it appropriately instead of inflating so your ego can feel pampered that your supreme negotiation skills have accomplished something for you to feel warm and fuzzy, then that is the seller's perogative.

In other words, they have priced it as what their bottom line so if you dont want to pay that amount, dont waste their time.

in saying that, most people will sometime budge even though they have written 'firm' or 'no offers'
Old 29-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I can understand why people do that though...you advertise a car for say 10k and you get some clown come and offer you 8k!

If you are a genuine buyer and have CASH, most people will budge a little on price rather than lose a sale. The firm or No offers is mainly to stop the low balling that goes on by a lot of people.

My 2c on it anyway.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

When some says firm or no neg they typically have priced it accordingly, rather then inflating the price with room to move.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I can understand why people do that though...you advertise a car for say 10k and you get some clown come and offer you 8k!

If you are a genuine buyer and have CASH, most people will budge a little on price rather than lose a sale. The firm or No offers is mainly to stop the low balling that goes on by a lot of people.

My 2c on it anyway.
Would you take 1c?
Old 29-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with the above, I have my Subaru on car sales at the moment and it's advertised at 13 which is the lowest on there for that model. I had some clown calling me the other day offering me 10 cash. What a tool, by the way how else would you pay for a second hand private sale? Credit card?
Old 29-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I as a buyer set a price that I am prepared to pay, and if the seller is keen, they'd take a fair offered price on most occasions.

However I'm well and truly aware of how insulting lowballing can be.

There are times I have thanked a seller for their time and openly admitted that I was not in a position to satisfy their asking price in its entirety. I have never been met with any animosity in this situation.

But when it comes down to it, a seller can ask whatever they like, whether the asking price gets met is another issue entirely.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I'd hardly call it arrogance. If I'm selling a car, and I want $15,000 for it then I'm going to put the price at $15,000 and state that is the lowest I'm willing to go.

I don't want to put it at $16,000 because it may turn people away because they do not know I'm happy with $15,000. Nobody posts an ad with (x) amount and states that they'd be happy with $500 less. It defeats the purpose of advertising it at that higher price to begin with.

Also, car selling websites such as carsales and carpoint have a feature to search by price (as well as other options) and by placing your car at $15,500 when you are happy with $15,000 for example, you block out all the potential buyers who are looking for cars $15,000 or less, and have put that into the search feature. Therefore they do no have the opportunity to have a look at your ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
by the way how else would you pay for a second hand private sale? Credit card?
Check.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
THE50

I think that has hit the nail on the head, for me anyway. Next time I advertise, I'm just going to come right out and say "No lowballs!". I'm always happy to listen to a genuine offer - it does not offend me and I can always say no. But when someone offers only 60% of your asking price (or worse) its just kinda rude. Especially if this equates to thousands of dollars!

2c from me too.

Omar
Old 29-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
fordman302

i agree, i would much rather just know what the seller wants for the item straight up, i put my car and my boat on the market a while ago and got silly offers, i put the price on because thats what i wanted not because i wanted to play lets see how much you can get me down to
Old 29-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think some are **** factor, some are simply people who don't really want to sell the car...but have come up with a price for it, and if someone pays, they'll let it go.
I've owned my beloved and rare 1974 Kawasaki H2-750 two-stroke triple since 1994, I've always said it would never be sold and will be passed on to one of our kids...yet if someone walked up to me with $12,000, it'd be out the door.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I agree that offering stupid amounts thousands under the asking price is ridiculous. Why not just advertise it at the asking price. I don't think there is a need to ad 'No offers' or 'Firm'.
Old 29-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttnekid
i think if the person has priced it appropriately instead of inflating so your ego can feel pampered that your supreme negotiation skills have accomplished something for you to feel warm and fuzzy, then that is the seller's perogative.

In other words, they have priced it as what their bottom line so if you dont want to pay that amount, dont waste their time.

in saying that, most people will sometime budge even though they have written 'firm' or 'no offers'
So if most will budge, then why say 'firm' or 'no offers'. I think most of these people would not pay full price when they look for a car. In fact, I can't understand ANYONE who would just walk up and pay the asking price without some form of negotiation. And this rubbish about wasting people's time? All they need to say is 'no' if they don't want to sell at the price offered. The seller just needs to know that their beloved car is ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay, not the other way around. By placing 'No offers' and 'Firm', it gives the impression that they are not serious in doing business at all.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
When some says firm or no neg they typically have priced it accordingly, rather then inflating the price with room to move.
agree

to me it is arrogance when people expect money off everything. you either want it or you don't. if i am selling something, i want a certain amount - i will not waste anyone's time by advertising it for more. if you do not like it, buy someone elses

knocking money off doesn't give you a bargain - it just means 2 parties ****ed about over a price instead of just agreeing in the first place. the problem is, this perceived bargain has filtered into everything we buy. everything is hopelessly overpriced, so that they can suck everyone in with specials that are only at the realistic selling price anyway . . . . just so someone can go home artificially happy with their sale price
Old 29-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy solution, If you want $15000 for your car, you advertise it for $16000 or sumin. It does annoy me when people say firm prices, I like talking people down :P
Old 29-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
agree

to me it is arrogance when people expect money off everything. you either want it or you don't. if i am selling something, i want a certain amount - i will not waste anyone's time by advertising it for more. if you do not like it, buy someone elses

knocking money off doesn't give you a bargain - it just means 2 parties ****ed about over a price instead of just agreeing in the first place. the problem is, this perceived bargain has filtered into everything we buy. everything is hopelessly overpriced, so that they can suck everyone in with specials that are only at the realistic selling price anyway . . . . just so someone can go home artificially happy with their sale price
Spot on. At the end of the day its their property not yours (until you pay for it) and can set whatever price they like.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 29-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

People who do the whole FIRM or No Offers deal are probably the ones who never sell them.

If you're looking at a couple of cars, and the others are open to offers and one won't budge, its not hard to figure out who's car will sell.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960
Easy solution, If you want $15000 for your car, you advertise it for $16000 or sumin. It does annoy me when people say firm prices, I like talking people down :P
Correct. I would never advertise something I'm selling at my bottom price. Always allow a bit of room for movement.

Perceived or not. Real or not, most people like doing business this way.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

I fully support this. I dont have enough time on my hands having people thinking that there is room for negotiation.
This is how I advertised my XR8. Due to the lack if BS in my advert and the term of firm etc, it was sold in less then 24 hrs of posting it. Yeh sure, if I wasnt fussed and curious to play the game Id bump it up to add room for negotiation, but more often then not, once my mind is made up I want it gone and not lingering around.
Those that had 9K to spend knew not to bother with my car, why, because I said 10K firm and that is all.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with people who say “firm, no offers,” is that they generally ARE tools, who have seriously overpriced what they are trying to sell. It’s all very well to say that they don’t want to waste their time, but what about my time? I have given up searching on some sites, because they are just clogged with overpriced junk. If I go searching for something, I only want to receive results that represent genuine sellers.
I find it particularly egregious when some ****** has a classic car rusting in his back yard, he somehow thinks that ripping all the bits off and dumping them in the boot has somehow increased its value, and he’s happy to leave it rusting there until somebody meets his price.

The other thing that really bugs me, is when people advertise online, but then say “I won’t respond to emails.”
I have to ask myself “why?” Replying to an email is a simple way to convey lots of information, and you can send the same stuff to multiple enquirers, again, and again.
If I’m looking at a second-hand car (or boat), particularly a classic, I’m going to want lots of details.
To me, “I won’t reply to emails” translates as “I know you will have lots of questions, I intend to lie to you wherever possible, and yet I am so dumb that I risk contradicting my own lies if I commit them to an email…”
Old 29-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It depends, sometimes the guy has advertised the car a few times and this is his/her absolute bottom price.

My advice is just to know the market, know the best price and jump at the right one -regardless of bargaining or not. Take negotiation out of the equation and a cheap price is still a bargain. You don't need to haggle to get it.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #22
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
The problem with people who say “firm, no offers,” is that they generally ARE tools, who have seriously overpriced what they are trying to sell. It’s all very well to say that they don’t want to waste their time, but what about my time? I have given up searching on some sites, because they are just clogged with overpriced junk. If I go searching for something, I only want to receive results that represent genuine sellers.
I find it particularly egregious when some ****** has a classic car rusting in his back yard, he somehow thinks that ripping all the bits off and dumping them in the boot has somehow increased its value, and he’s happy to leave it rusting there until somebody meets his price.

The other thing that really bugs me, is when people advertise online, but then say “I won’t respond to emails.”
I have to ask myself “why?” Replying to an email is a simple way to convey lots of information, and you can send the same stuff to multiple enquirers, again, and again.
If I’m looking at a second-hand car (or boat), particularly a classic, I’m going to want lots of details.
To me, “I won’t reply to emails” translates as “I know you will have lots of questions, I intend to lie to you wherever possible, and yet I am so dumb that I risk contradicting my own lies if I commit them to an email…”
Great post. Has summed up the reasons why I started this thread.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #23
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise

My 2c on it anyway.
This the exact reason as to why people advertise firm prices. It also keeps the tyre kickers away.

When I sold my XW I advertised it with a firm price, still had a couple of people try and offer me a couple of thousand less. I think they got the hint when I just hung the phone up in their ear.

I ended up selling it in 6 days. IMO it was a fair price for the car at which the buyer thought was as well.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
It depends, sometimes the guy has advertised the car a few times and this is his/her absolute bottom price.

My advice is just to know the market, know the best price and jump at the right one -regardless of bargaining or not. Take negotiation out of the equation and a cheap price is still a bargain. You don't need to haggle to get it.

Exactly.
My bottom price was 10K and people respected it as I openly stated so. Im confident to say that this was not an over priced piece of junk as it was a Twin Turbo XR8 going cheaper then most if not all BA XR6Ts.

If you cant afford what the sellers bottom price is, either a) move on or b) save more money.

Carrying on like a bunch of Nancys is not helping.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #25
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing wrong with asking a firm price, especially if the item is already below the cost of other items that are the same...

Eg: asking $42,000 FIRM for a car (same kms, colour, condition, rego etc) that others are asking 46k+ for... Sure, you might get the 46k car for 42k... but then you'd have to haggle... Why are people willing to haggle to get to 42k, when they could simply just pay it from the start? It doesn't make the deal any better!

If you know it's a good deal, then buy it... if it's not a good deal then move on to the next car.

I have a mate who wants a 4x4... all the cars he's seen are $30k+ with plenty of kms on them... One pops up for $27k with lower kms, and in good nick. He KNOWs it's a good deal, he admits it... Yet, he still offers 24k... of course the bloke said no, by the time my mate calls back to get serious, the car is sold.

Moral of the story, if you know it's a good deal, buy it! If it's over priced, then move on...
Old 30-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #26
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV

Carrying on like a bunch of Nancys is not helping.
Having a discussion amongst forum members is carrying on like a nancy?
Old 30-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #27
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Not so much your thread mate. But comments like, they are generally tools. What a toss! I see your point of view, I dont agree with it but respect you opinion. Its others that need to build a bridge and stop getting so emotional.

They dont like it, buy a lesser car. Save more money. Whatever.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #28
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Not so much your thread mate. But comments like, they are generally tools. What a toss!
Apologies if you assumed that was directed at you…

And perhaps to clarify, I agree that IF you are a genuine motivated seller and have therefore priced your goods BELOW market, then nobody has a problem if you don’t want to drop below your already discounted price. However even in such a case, there’s no excuse for being rude. Politely telling someone that you believe you have priced the car to sell and won’t except offers at this stage is far better than hanging up the phone. Furthermore, nobody likes wasting time, but I find more often than not that those who put “No Offers,” “No time wasters,” “No tyre kickers,” etc generally are rude, ignorant, arrogant, tools with an over inflated opinion of themselves and their car.
At the end of the day, if you don’t want to deal with the public, sell your car to a wholesaler.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #29
ray38l

everything's negotiable. I don't pay full price for anything of considerable value. I like getting things cheaper.
I have turned down buying car's that were a lot cheaper then market average because they said no offers. it leaves me wondering why it is so cheap. if something is to good to be true it normally is....
Old 30-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure the owner can Ask whatever they want for their car. You could ask for $90,000 for an old AU taxi if you wanted, but what you aak and what people are willing to pay is two different things.

I noticed many people who put a firm price down often have their car priced above average anyway.
Closed Thread