Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
tlub

Default storing a engine

hi all I have a few engines that I really want to store for an extended period of time . what is the best way to do this .do I need to flush the water out of the block as it has coolant in it and do I fill it full of oil

tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: storing a engine

I think you can spray something in the bores as the piston rings can "stick" had this happen to a few diesel motors we have fitted fro wreckers had low compression because of this but were fine when "unstuck".
Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Run it on some two stroke mix, pour a little down spark plugs etc.
Keeps it lubricated.

Change oil and new plugs before using again...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good 50ml of engine oil in each cylinder then turnover by hand will protect the bores from rusting up.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I wouldn't flush the coolant as it has a corrosion inhibitor in it. Might be worth getting some VCI paper to wrap it in too.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Engine oil is not a good anti-rust product on surfaces exposed to air.

Drain coolant. Fill engine with oil, quarter fill cylinders with a thin oil Rp7 or WD40, rotate once & quarter foil again. Install plugs, seal all openings, pack away.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My engine has been sitting outside in the elements with no plugs or injectors, no doubt it would have been rusted up inside.

We're going to pull it down anyway, if its rusted up is it just a matter of honing it again?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

If I'm going to store engines for long term I usually pull them down & store in a dry place reason being when engine is going to be used again 9 times out of 10 you will have to replace seals & gaskets that usually harden up/perish over length of time
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i was going to keep it in storage for 10 or 20 years id buy a **** load of cheapest nastiest engine oil i could find and fill it to the top till its running out the tappet cover then put the cap on,

as for leaving coolant in the engine...... im not sure how i feel about leaving it with coolant in it for a long long period, i would be worried the chemicals would eventually separate leaving areas exposed to plain water, if i was going leave it with coolant in it, i was going to say the longest life stuff, but thinking about it some of that waterless coolant/corrosion inhibitor might be the go ??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
My engine has been sitting outside in the elements with no plugs or injectors, no doubt it would have been rusted up inside.

We're going to pull it down anyway, if its rusted up is it just a matter of honing it again?
you might getaway with a hone, all you can do is give it a whirl, but the lesser metal you take off the better.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
you might getaway with a hone, all you can do is give it a whirl, but the lesser metal you take off the better.
Its going to be pulled down, new pistons, rings, bearings etc, long has 113,000km on it, should be able to use standard sized stuff I'm assuming so no need for machining?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's not many ks , i might sound like a tight wad, but if turns out it only needs a a light hone I would probably have a go at reuseing the old pistons if they are serviceable unless you really want to change them .......unless it's going to be a hotrod or something ? Up to you Damo, see what it takes to tidy the bores up.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
zilo
BANNED

I have a V6 that I just stored.
loosened the head bolts , removed timing belt so all valves closed , tightened head bolts very lightly so compression could eek out as I plan to turn it one rev per year by hand....also ...this stopped air getting into chambers via inevitable open valve.

squirted a bit of light machine oil down spark plug.

that's it....once a year or so spin it by harmonic balancer bolt and socket.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
That's not many ks , i might sound like a tight wad, but if turns out it only needs a a light hone I would probably have a go at reuseing the old pistons if they are serviceable unless you really want to change them .......unless it's going to be a hotrod or something ? Up to you Damo, see what it takes to tidy the bores up.
Its jut my project EL, the current I6 is rooted with 235,000km on the clock, only around 125psi on cylinders 2-6 and 115psi on cylinder 1, and it turns the oil dark in about 1000km after a change, I think cylinder 1 rings are totalled as it covers the spark plug in oil.

Seems slow to rev out as well.

I've got a standard rebuild kit here in the garage which is the main reason why I'm going to pull the wrecker engine down (the one with 113,000km) and reco it, got the parts here so why not? I'll chuck my head on it as I've got a CMS Stage 3 head.