Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
red_hotxr6
Banned

Default Is it legal for..

Is it legal for motor cyclists to weave there way through lanes of stopped traffic at a stop sign or lights so they can be at the front of the que or do they have to wait in line with the rest of the traffic??

Old 19-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

Default Re: Is it legal for..

Have to wait in line like everybody else.
Old 19-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Tanksenda

It certainly isnt in NSW. I remember copping a fine back in the 90s for doing that. I didnt even know it was illegal at the time.
Old 19-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's called lane splitting I think and it's tolerated in some states. I see people do it past police all the time I'm vic and they dont care, not like they could do anything anyway if it's bumper to bumper.
Old 19-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Is it legal for motor cyclists to weave there way through lanes of stopped traffic at a stop sign or lights so they can be at the front of the que or do they have to wait in line with the rest of the traffic??
Yes and no, it is a bit of a grey area and is different in every state.

In the big picture the motorcycle WILL be going faster than you from the lights and will never hold you up so blocking them out of spite or jealously is just acting like a petulant child.

First rule of motorcycling, if you are not moving through the traffic it will move through you.......
Old 19-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
red_hotxr6
Banned

Never thought of holding them up or blocking them, i was thinking more along the line of all of the cars that got where they were in the line and had to wait, so why cant they, and isnt there some element of danger to what they are doing maybe even a chance of body work damage to cars....
Old 19-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have been a bike rider for around 30 years and about 23 years on the road.i can tell you there is no way i would wait at the back of a cue for 2 hours when i can get though it in 15 mins and lets face it,if there was a way anyone in a car could do it you would.
after saying that is there a danger,yes there sure is.you need an extra sence when riding a bike and going between traffic isnt so easy.car mirrors are quite wide so sometimes it can become quite tight so care is needed but i think the golden rule is never try and do it when the traffic is moving,going through traffic when its stopped or at a crawl is ok but not when its moving as its very risky for you and others.
if there is a large shoulder its a good option as there is more room.being on the road is dangerous and on a bike its even more so but there is nothing better than experiance and its these people who go through q ride in there 40's and 50's that have never been on a bike in the real world are the ones who need to be extra carefull.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

In Victoria 'Lane Splitting" as it is known is illegal.

Every day I watch motorcyclists weave in and out of heavy traffic on the monash freeway inches from cars many of whom change lanes without indicating and all I can think is, organ donors.

Clearly they have an ability to get though where a car or a truck cant but the weaving in heavy traffic is a pending disaster. Out in the burbs where ther is space no problem. Perhaps we need to put a motor bike lane on ten freeways. It would only take some paint. I just dread the day when one clips a car and comes off in front of 5 lanes of traffic.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you dont have to wait for that day it has happened plenty of times before.the real problem happens when a innocent responsible rider on a bike is hit by a person in a car who is in fairyland,and i can tell you this happens quite alot.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Illegal in vic

from vic roads web site

Lane splitting
You must drive with your vehicle completely within a lane. Riding between lines of moving vehicles is illegal and dangerous.

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wouldnt supprise me if its not illegal in every state,just like talking or texting on a phone in a car is illegal.
Old 19-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
ChRiDDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
In Victoria 'Lane Splitting" as it is known is illegal.
It's illegal if traffic is moving, however it's legal if traffic is stationary - go figure!
Old 19-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiDDa
It's illegal if traffic is moving, however it's legal if traffic is stationary - go figure!
Except it is also legal if the car being overtaken is turning.
Old 19-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In the big picture the motorcycle WILL be going faster than you from the lights .......
Isn't that hooning? Fast Accelerating from the lights?

Cause if it isn't then no they are not faster than me from the lights lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 19-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the only times I have been booked was for this in the mid 90's in Brissy - not speeding , not doing dangerous crap , all cars were stationary
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Old 19-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Isn't that hooning? Fast Accelerating from the lights?

Cause if it isn't then no they are not faster than me from the lights lol
You drive an EF, the only thing slower than you at the lights is a tree......
Old 19-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Have a read in the "on two wheels" section.Apparently they are looking to make it legal which i think is a dangerous move,will cause more accidents imo.Where would that leave cars changing lanes only to have cleaned up a bike splitting lanes...
Old 19-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 220
Have a read in the "on two wheels" section.Apparently they are looking to make it legal which i think is a dangerous move,will cause more accidents imo.Where would that leave cars changing lanes only to have cleaned up a bike splitting lanes...
Just wondering how a car can change lanes when there is another car right next to it?

If there is not another car next to it then the motorcycle is not lane splitting and the car is in the wrong.

The second rule of motorcycling is "Treat all car drivers as morons who have no spatial awareness, understanding of road rules or common courtesy to other road users."
Unfortunately often the car driver actually deserves this treatment and the life you save WILL be your own......
Old 19-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ride two ways to work, up Punt road or over the bolte and through Brunswick.

Thing is, police bikes lane split as well, so it seems like one of those rules where it is illegal but people don't really think anything of it.

When I did my learners AND my licence test, I was taught that lane splitting in stationary traffic is ok, but lane splitting in moving traffic isn't that smart. It doesn't really hurt anyone in stationary traffic when there actually is room and it you aren't stupid about it i.e. not doing 50kph through cars which some bikes do.

The other thing is that when your on a bike your a lot smaller than a lot of cars, and it feels like the safest place for you to be in the traffic is in front of everyone else so everyone can see you regardless, so at the front of the lights is always somewhere I feel safest rather than behind a truck who can't see me.

Other thing is a bike can't hang around on the bolte bridge in traffic, the wind can get pretty intense especially in these last few weeks, if your moving too slowly you'll get blown right over and end up under some truck.

Essentially the safest place for bikes to be is NOT in traffic, so may as well get ahead of the traffic!
Old 19-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I know there is two different terms used. There is lane filters which means traffic is stationary and there is lane splitting which means traffic is moving.

filtering is tolerated but not technically legal but lane splitting is not tolerated and illegal
Old 19-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I meant when cars are moving,didnt know there were two different terms used.
Most bikes do both already,no offence to those riders who dont but that would be part of the reason why bike riders are called temporary citizens.
Old 19-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #22
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
You drive an EF, the only thing slower than you at the lights is a tree......
Reaction time is where it's at - I could be driving a 1970 KE30 Corolla - it wouldn't matter - If you want to push in and not wait your turn then make sure you have your eyes on the lights

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 19-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was stuck on the westgate freeway one night, bumper to bumper, no one moving, motorcyclist casually doing a steady 30kmh through the emergency lane , everyone in the vicinity wishing they were him......... lol
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 19-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11377181

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 19-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Was stuck on the westgate freeway one night, bumper to bumper, no one moving, motorcyclist casually doing a steady 30kmh through the emergency lane , everyone in the vicinity wishing they were him......... lol
May have been me
Old 19-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In the big picture the motorcycle WILL be going faster than you from the lights and will never hold you up so blocking them out of spite or jealously is just acting like a petulant child.

First rule of motorcycling, if you are not moving through the traffic it will move through you.......

Not true, seen it many times where the bike rider gets to the front then takes off like a grandma, or wants to make a right turn 50m up the road causing all right lane traffic to stop. Lucky most don't, but it happens.

My dad rode a Harley for 11 years and never lane spilt, the traffic never 'moved through him'

I don't care if bikes lane split properly, but it is not necessary and some cannot do it safely. Most bike riders will argue the opposite.
Old 19-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lane splitting is a bi-product of everyone driving in the right lane

I follow the rule of keep left unless overtaking, this method requires lane splitting . I LAUGH AT THE WAIT IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, the road inst a school line. different people have different needs that's why they buy different cars, if you dont have the skills or the car to drive in the fast lane then dont.
Old 19-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wizzing down between a line of stationery vehicles is ok until a kid steps out into your line, and i`m sure depending on the speed of the rider, some could certainly go for driving in a manner dangerous.
Old 19-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
lane splitting is a bi-product of everyone driving in the right lane

I follow the rule of keep left unless overtaking, this method requires lane splitting . I LAUGH AT THE WAIT IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, the road inst a school line. different people have different needs that's why they buy different cars, if you dont have the skills or the car to drive in the fast lane then dont.
The only place I see lane splitting happening is on city streets where Keep left unless overtaking doesn't exist.
So I don't know how right lane hogs have anything to do with lane splitting on city streets.
Old 19-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
Illegal in vic

from vic roads web site

Lane splitting
You must drive with your vehicle completely within a lane. Riding between lines of MOVING vehicles is illegal and dangerous.

Jason
If the traffic is not moving this would indicate that you can pass through the traffic. Or am I missing something?
Closed Thread