Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Question Sticker removal

Whats the best plan of attack to get these stone chip protecting covers off the bonnet(terrible idea in the first place to put them on),cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 492958721.jpg (47.5 KB, 78 views)
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sticker removal

I'm no expert but I'd heat it up with a hairdryer to make it all soft and then gently gently remove it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Park it out in the sun, use a hair dryer to try and remove it.

If it's plastic based you may even be able to remove it with a solvent and a plastic scraper but I'm not sure if that will also dissolve the underlying paint.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I have used a cloth with a bit of mineral turps (NOT PAINT THINNERS) on it to soften and remove unwanted double sided tape from weather shields before, that stuff is much the same I think. If you dab at it around the edges and let it soak under they should peel off without any issues, once there off just reapply some wax or polish to the painted surface and buff it up Providing your car has not been resprayed using Export Paint spray cans you should be fine you could always test a small inconspicuous area first by rubbing it lightly with some of the turps to make sure it doesn't have any ill effects but providing it's normal factory paint there shouldn't be any problem Kerosene could also be an option to try

Last edited by Russ; 12-07-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I have used a cloth with a bit of mineral turps (NOT PAINT THINNERS) on it to soften and remove unwanted double sided tape from weather shields before, that stuff is much the same I think. If you dab at it around the edges and let it soak under they should peel off without any issues, once there off just reapply some wax or polish to the painted surface and buff it up Providing your car has not been resprayed using Export Paint spray cans you should be fine you could always test a small inconspicuous area first by rubbing it lightly with some of the turps to make sure it doesn't have any ill effects but providing it's normal factory paint there shouldn't be any problem Kerosene could also be an option to try
Spell check missed the " y' " once they're off
One of my pet hates

Just looked at the pic you posted and if you haven't already I would get some hot soapy water and clean all the fungus and crap off that paint first to see what it looks like underneath, depending on the condition of the paintwork I would probably recommend NOT using any solvents of any sort on it as it may well lift the paint, not sure if you just bought the car like that or what but I have always removed any bonnet protector fitted to my vehicles and cleaned and polished underneath them regularly, sorry to say but leaving debris and build up like that underneath it is asking for trouble :(

Last edited by Russ; 12-07-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Spell check missed the " y' " once they're off
One of my pet hates

Just looked at the pic you posted and if you haven't already I would get some hot soapy water and clean all the fungus and crap off that paint first to see what it looks like underneath, depending on the condition of the paintwork I would probably recommend NOT using any solvents of any sort on it as it may well lift the paint, not sure if you just bought the car like that or what but I have always removed any bonnet protector fitted to my vehicles and cleaned and polished underneath them regularly, sorry to say but leaving debris and build up like that underneath it is asking for trouble :(
Yeah got the car like that,i'll try the hair dryer method for starters and see how it goes.
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever you do, do not just pull it off. I've been there done that and trust me, it's a ****storm from start to finish. Use a heatgun and be extra careful.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: