Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
REEDS
Starter Motor

Default Lights Out

I have a AUII and on the main dash I have the little LCD screen that has no light so I guess the globe needs to be replaced. I have had a search but didnt see anything on the forums I am happy to be corrected or pointed to a post if such a one exists

Some people have told me the whole dash needs to be removed and its a FULL DAY of work just to do it so dont worry about it. Is this true

REEDS

REEDS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it where the odometer should be?
Undo the two screws up the top of the instrument cluster, stick an allen key in the holes and give it a bit of a pull.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
REEDS
Starter Motor

Yes it is the odometer LCD screen

it is not important but its a pain in the that it is not visable at nights

REEDS
Old 26-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guessing whoever told you it was a full day was a mechanic who intended to charge you for a full day. In reality you'd be dawdling to get it done in more than an hour.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
REEDS
Starter Motor

Cool you been a load of Help lets hope its as easy as you say it is.

REEDS
Old 26-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

15 min in and out
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

seems to be a common globe ours is gone too.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, its easy as to change.

Part no. ER10B765 D ASSEMBLY LAMP & HOLDER.

Edit: These globes will also fit the clock LCD, but where not listed on the Ford computer as being replaceable when i needed to change mine.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6

Last edited by NC1183; 27-08-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Extra info....
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
NARCEA
5/00 AUII Forte

I had trouble finding these globes for mine. Ended up having to go to Ford and fork out 13.20 for 2!

Cheers
Old 29-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
REEDS
Starter Motor

Hi again guys

I have removed the dash and that was easy now when I pulled the 2 globes from behind the LCD they don't look blown at all. could the problem be something else .

Around the same time the 1 2 3 4 buttons on the radio went out and don't light up and I have checked all the fuses that are below the steering wheel
Old 29-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEDS
Hi again guys

I have removed the dash and that was easy now when I pulled the 2 globes from behind the LCD they don't look blown at all. could the problem be something else .

Around the same time the 1 2 3 4 buttons on the radio went out and don't light up and I have checked all the fuses that are below the steering wheel
Best bet is to replace the globes anyway - they may not look blown, but they could be.

The other issue could be a blown fuse - it will be the instrument fuse or courtesy light fuse. Just check the fuse pg at around pg 130/140 of the owners manual.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
REEDS
Starter Motor

ok thanks will do

Off to Jeff Wignall tomorrow I guess
Old 30-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
REEDS
Starter Motor

Ok I replaced my globes today $5 each

it still has no glow behind the LCD screen so I have no idea what can cause it becasue I have checked all the fuses below the steering wheel and all is good. Unless there is a hidden set of fules some place I am stumped

Any ideas guys

REEDS
Old 31-08-2007, 02:09 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

How did you check the fuses? You should remove the instrument cluster one and actually replace it with a new one - sometimes fuses don't look broken, but they are.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
blacklabel

Thumbs up

Gidday REEDS, I just replaced both my globes on my AU Futura,series one. I am assuming the series 2 is the same dashcluster etc...
Good news is it's really EASY and even better, really QUICK! It took me all of 1/2 hour,once I had my parts.

I'm kicking myself for not taking some digi pics while I was doing it so I could post up a wee "how-to".Never mind, I'll do a step-by-step for you,as there are a couple of definite "be-carefuls" when doing it,which one or two great members alerted me to,before I did mine.

The Ford parts are "Assembly Lamp and Holder" Part No: ER 10B765 D
They are sold separately and you will need 2. They are tiny 2 watt globes which are mounted in a small black base-or green as mine were.
You will also need a small flat and philips screwdriver.

1/ First thing-lower your steering column as low as it goes!! Really important as if you don't,and try to pull the cluster housing out between the steering wheel and dash edge you will scrape and cut the vinyl-it's paper thin on the dash edges!
2/ Pop off the 2 plastic screw caps on the underside of the top of cluster housing to reveal the 2 fixing screws.Totally remove the 2 screws.
3/ Now you are ready to pull the cluster housing out.Be firm but gentle here.
I found that it was easiest to poke my screwdriver shaft into the metal tab where you just removed the screws and pull back with the screwdriver until the cluster had pulled forward enough for me to get my fingers behind the edge and pop it out.Pull it forwards,don't swivel it too much or you may snap the wee plastic stalk that you push for mode change etc...
4/ Having popped the whole cluster housing out,you will find it only comes about 5 inches before you feel resistance.This is simply the 2 wraps of wiring clinging in their respective plastic clips on inside of the cluster compartment.Just put your hand in and gently pull them out of their clips.The whole housing can then be pulled out so far that you can sit it on the top of the dash to work on.
5/ With your cluster housing out, turn it over to reveal the underside (white on mine) and you will see a number of black round plastic "buttons".These are the bases of the different lamp holders.You will see the LCD Odometer/DTE ones straight away,as they are the only ones that size,and only an inch apart.
6/ Insert a small flat tipped screwdriver into the centre of each base and twist 1/2 turn ANTICLOCKWISE.You can now pull them out.Simply pop in the new ones and turn 1/2 turn clockwise to bed them in.
At this point I would turn your ignition key to ACC just to check they are working ok,before putting it all back.

Now simply pop everything back,in reverse to pulling out and you are done!

Good luck!!

And a big thanks to Russell, for helping find the right part number on the parts database.Thanks bro!

Last edited by blacklabel; 31-08-2007 at 04:54 PM.
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
REEDS
Starter Motor

I replaced the globes and all was good.... for only 2 days now the things are off again gggggrrrrrrr

there must be short some place blowing them up. anyone got any further ideas as I dont wanna replace the globes every 2 days @ $5 each globe.

REEDS
Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #17
blacklabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEDS
I replaced the globes and all was good.... for only 2 days now the things are off again gggggrrrrrrr

there must be short some place blowing them up. anyone got any further ideas as I dont wanna replace the globes every 2 days @ $5 each globe.

REEDS
Sounds kinda odd,almost like there is an overloading problem-as JC said, it could be a fuse.You said they were ok-should be Red 10amp fuse in position number 20 for Instrument Cluster.If it was the wrong fuse,say yellow,green or blue,which are all over 15amps,then your globes could be blowing before the fuse.But if it's the red,10amp one as it should be-then I'm stumped.
Could be one of those ones for an auto electrician to suss out...
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post