Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default whats the excuse this time?

P-plater caught talking on phone at 167kph

Updated 56 minutes ago

* Map: Sunbury 3429

Police say a P-plate driver, who had his licence for less than three weeks, was caught driving more than 50 kilometres per hour over the speed limit last night.

He was stopped by a Gisbourne detective who was on his way home from work.

The 18-year-old Sunbury man was pulled over on Calder Freeway travelling at 167 kilometres per hour while talking on his mobile phone.

His licence has been suspended for a year.

He has received 12 demerit points and $1,012 in fines and had his car impounded for 48 hours.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...17/3141089.htm

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 17-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so i'll say it, if he was stopped by a detective, how did they accurately read his speed? AFAIK D cars do not have radars.
Old 17-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he was having a fight with his mrs ?
or as my excuse was when i got done 144 in 80 zone, ( he got me going down a hill ) i had cruise control on and i just let it go by its self as i thought cruise control slowed the car down, 0 points 0 dollars
i agree with that to, a paddy wagon pulled me over cause i overtook them, they rekon i had to be speeding because there tacho read they were doing 60, so i would of had to be doing atleast 70 lol, they cant prove it, plus i wasnt speeding.
but all it takes is a pic of the tacho etc or a video, my mate lost his licence for 24 months thanks to a off duty police officer and a camera
Old 17-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Sorry Officer...I didn't know I couldn't do that.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 17-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phone sex?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 17-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazxr6mk2
or as my excuse was when i got done 144 in 80 zone, ( he got me going down a hill ) i had cruise control on and i just let it go by its self as i thought cruise control slowed the car down, 0 points 0 dollars
it must have been a very big and long hill
Old 17-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol yeah it was pretty steep, he ended up getting me 3 weeks later for drag racing anyway lol.
i faught it and won, so now they harrass the **** out of me !
and to this day, i still have my licence and havnt lost it, although i do have 2 points
Old 17-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol yeah it was pretty steep, he ended up getting me 3 weeks later for drag racing anyway lol.
i faught it and won, so now they harrass the **** out of me !
and to this day, i still have my licence and havnt lost it, although i do have 2 points
wouldn't brag about that kind of **** around here. You're not on boostcruising
Old 17-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not bragging bud, do you think i like getting harrased and defected?
im just saying how lucky i am compared to this bloke, cant have a say around here
Old 17-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Could have just said "young motorist", nah P-PLATER grabs your attention more.

IMO the speed isn't the worst thing, but talking on the phone (assuming it wasn't handsfree) while doing it is just wrong.

Who here hasn't dropped it down to third and continued through gears at WOT to get past 2 morons and a caravan on long stretch of road?

Not many details in that article; e.g. handsfree, overtaking etc.
they let you make up your own mind about what happened.

(i do not know the road and maybe it is a 4 lane highway where that speed is not necessary at any time; I am imagining something similar to the Bruce highway up north)
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Old 17-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if he was in a police car unmarked or marked there speedos are tested so this is all they need.

Ian
Old 17-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
if he was in a police car unmarked or marked there speedos are tested so this is all they need.

Ian
IF he speed checked him then it was extremely dangerous on the officers part, driving a plain car at 160 odd along side a deadbeat doing the same while on the phone. If he used his lights then said deadbeat would have slammed on his brakes the second they were switched on, not giving the cop enough time to get his speed anyway.
Old 17-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that one is open for a challenge in court, police would have a hard time proving the speed i would imagine...
Old 17-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he does not need to be beside him just behind will do and if this guyy was on the phone i doubt he would have seen the lights.

I know who was the dangouis driver and it was not the police.

Ian
Old 17-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm lotsa people with funny ideas and support for some idiot doing well in excess of the speed limit, particularly someone who JUST got their licence and thinks he is indestructable....

Old 17-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

amusingly (only cause no one got hurt) another indestructable P plater (drunk, female), apparently had a slow speed chase with police last night in Adelaide which ended when she crashed into the police car.
You have to wonder what some people are thinking when they have only been driving for 5 minutes.
Old 17-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
hmm lotsa people with funny ideas and support for some idiot doing well in excess of the speed limit, particularly someone who JUST got their licence and thinks he is indestructable....
Definitely not support, just don't imagine the speed detection method used by the cop would hold up in court, unless of course there are some more details we don't know about...
Old 17-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
Could have just said "young motorist", nah P-PLATER grabs your attention more.

IMO the speed isn't the worst thing, but talking on the phone (assuming it wasn't handsfree) while doing it is just wrong.

Who here hasn't dropped it down to third and continued through gears at WOT to get past 2 morons and a caravan on long stretch of road?

Not many details in that article; e.g. handsfree, overtaking etc.
they let you make up your own mind about what happened.

(i do not know the road and maybe it is a 4 lane highway where that speed is not necessary at any time; I am imagining something similar to the Bruce highway up north)

what does WOT mean? ive seen people wright that before?
Old 17-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
Definitely not support, just don't imagine the speed detection method used by the cop would hold up in court, unless of course there are some more details we don't know about...
Actually it does.... a speedo in a car is perfectly legal to use as a means of speed detection for the Police.

People who think that Police must use a lazer or radar gun in order to give you a fine (and hold up in court) needs to rethink that idea....

Old 17-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
what does WOT mean? ive seen people wright that before?
Wide Open Throttle, also known as "put the accelerator through the firewall".
Old 17-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
he was having a fight with his mrs ?
i agree with that to, a paddy wagon pulled me over cause i overtook them, they rekon i had to be speeding because there tacho read they were doing 60, so i would of had to be doing atleast 70 lol, they cant prove it, plus i wasnt speeding.
but all it takes is a pic of the tacho etc or a video, my mate lost his licence for 24 months thanks to a off duty police officer and a camera
Hey, this guys a legend!!
Old 17-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Whats the excuse?

Some guy rang me on my phone and said if I dont keep the car above 150km/h it will explode.
Old 17-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had a cop tell me i was speeding one morning, i was 500m ahead of him and he couldnt catch me doing 60kmh... It was a 50 zone and i was doing 50 cause i knew he was there lol.
Old 17-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

My post was not meant to sound like I was supporting him either.
Mine was more about the lack of information in the article and the way it was written.

Also, doing that sort of speed in certain cases whilst it is illegal, it is not necessarily going to kill everyone. However it all depends on the circumstances.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Old 17-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

its okey to do 160kmh as long as you get pulled over, right? lol
Old 17-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #26
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Posting to say I live Sunbury, and it's a hole.
Old 17-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #27
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also, doing that sort of speed in certain cases whilst it is illegal, it is not necessarily going to kill everyone. However it all depends on the circumstances.
certain cases? Er.... its illegal full stop. you sound like your trying to justify his high speed?
What sort of circumstances?
P platers make up a quarter of crashes and most because they think they are indestructable... so again, what excuse? what circumstances?

Old 17-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats the big case anyway?
just because its a P plater ? i would loose count how many full plater drivers i see fly past me when im on the highway, when you blokes were young, did you's obey the law your hole life ? sorry, but i just cant see why the big domestic over it, hes done wrong and hes payed for it, but why is it all about a p plater? makes me think, if it was a full licenced person, would the media bring it up ?

Last edited by hazxr6mk2; 17-02-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 17-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #29
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
certain cases? Er.... its illegal full stop. you sound like your trying to justify his high speed?
What sort of circumstances?
P platers make up a quarter of crashes and most because they think they are indestructable... so again, what excuse? what circumstances?
I didn’t read his point as excusing the speeding. The reality is that while doing 170kph on a freeway is illegal (hence the fine and loss of licence), and statistically raises the probability of a crash, under some circumstances (eg when there is no other traffic around) doing that sort of speed on a freeway requires no special skill and isn’t really likely to result in a crash unless there is some kind of mechanical failure (unlikely) or the bloke suffers a seizure or something (also unlikely). The media like to give the impression that once you’re over 110 a car becomes near impossible to keep on the road, and that it’s some kind of miracle that he survived the ordeal, which is rubbish. The immediate reaction of “outrage” as soon as they mention a speed of 170, with no other details availlable about the circumstances of it, is unnecessary.

not justifying his behaviour in any way. he broke the law and paid the penalty.
Old 17-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #30
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

When I had the F6 in blink of an eye the speedo could be well past north facing east.
Recently I have notice flame suit on - a lot of "Hooning" from cops whos to stop them.
I might take video next to prove my point.

Anyways the point I am trying to make is I could be doing 50 60 70 80 90 100 watever speed and if the cop decides to chase me he would be "Speeding" to get to me how does this proof that I was doing same speed just because he/she was.

Cops drive latest model high powered cars, chasing someone doing 160kph is peanuts for Highway Patrol Cars.
Closed Thread