Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Close call - Need advice for break in prevention..

Hi all,

Bit of a back story..

There has been a hell of a lot of break ins over the past few weeks where I live. It isn't known as a bad area, but there have been a bunch of young kids going wild!

They caught a 13 and a 14 year old with a special set of keys for breaking into cars, and a bag a choccies they stole from a daycare center..

My mate also had his wallet taken not long ago while he was sleeping.

They go all methods. Break windows, pick locks, pry open doors apparently..

I went out the back to feed my pup and saw a putting golf club in her bed. Its not mine, and its not my house-mates (both hate golf). We were guessing it might have been used/going to be used to smash a window and break in but the dog scared/stopped them..

I am really worried now as this is my first home and I really don't want to have to worry constantly about getting broken into..

I have done my best to keep the place safe but what other cheap and effective methods can be done to secure your home.

I am going to buy a new deadbolt for the front door, and a heap of wooden dowel to stick in the screen door and window runners.

All windows have locks already but as an extra protection.

I am also going to talk to a mate about getting a motion detection alarm installed, and talk about other options.

I really want to prevent getting robbed before it happens..

Any idea/experience is welcome.

Thanks,
Matthew

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could grow that awful bouganvillia along your fence line or other assorted spiky plants. as a gardener i can vouch for the nastyness of these plants.
you got a dog and do you know if it is guarding the place, some dont bark etc when the owner is home, kind of pointless methinks lol.
otherwise there is a few other things like sensor lights and stuff like that, definately get to know your kneighbors as they can keep an eye out on things. same as you for them.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
buggo
[BU66OS]

Mate that doesn't sound too good.
I think a cheap effective thing would be to install motion lights all around the house. Wherever a kid might try to get into, he'll be scared off by all the light.
Leaing your dog out in the yard might be good to scare the off/ warn you, but you'd hate for anything to happen to it.
And something I've just thought of now. what if you put some really strong string under the windows, near the doors, etc, so if they do get in, they will trip over the rope and wake you up. Have no idea if that will be effective or not but just an idea.
Hope nothing happens before you put in the alarms mate.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
MexicanBatman
Banned

seriously, crims will break in no matter what

quit work, buy a gun and bottle of whiskey, then buy an old rocking chair, sit on porch guarding house...

do it in that order and you should be right..
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Get a good security alarm, and good locks for the windows and deadbolts for the doors. Make your house a harder target than the next one and it will hopefully encourage them to go elsewhere.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or you could just wack them with a shovel as they get chased out of the house by the dog and they are jumping the fence. BOONK
lol

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I now have a golf club as protection, so there is a plus side to it.

I have whiskey and a rocking chair, but no gun.

I already have a mass of unwanted vines creeping along the fence, maybe I could train it to grow up some lattice around the fence. Down side is the time it would take I guess.

When I talk to my mate about the alarm I will ask about security lights too.

Keeps the ideas coming!

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My home got broken into last month. Nothing of mine was stolen (I had just moved out) but my house mates are missing a few laptops / sound system etc.

If you have insurance, take pics of all items of value as well as their bar code / serial numbers. Get even the most basic of home / contents insurance. Not all that costly in the scheme of things!

In terms of security..... I had the dowels in all the windows as well as locks so they just smashed the small window adjacent to the laundry door and reached across to open it. Had it been dead latched they would have just broken the rear sliding door.

Buy a small motion activated camera. Hide it in a picture frame or something and have it within the house where any thief would walk (hallway / staircase to bedrooms). Test it and optimise its position. Won't stop em getting in, but may lead to getting some of your stuff back.

Keep things very well hidden. Put valuables in places where most won't think to look (like jewellery in an empty hair gel tub, or cash in an empty bag of sugar in the pantry)...

Lock entry gates / driveways well. That way they take less stuff as it needs to be carried further.

If you have access to the garage from the house, lock the garage (solid sliding bolt / steel bar across the frame etc) from the inside, then exit from the garage door and leave it. If you want anything just get it from the front.

Don't leave anything lying around the yard (tools / ladders etc) Will make it easy for someone to wedge open a door if your garden spade is leaning against the wall.

If I were still in my house, I would have installed an alarm system that sounded after 10 seconds of entry or motion detection. Wire up 2-3 of the loudest sirens you can buy (120db) and have 1 outside and 2 inside your house. Tell your neighbours (2-3 each way plus the ones across the street) to familiarise themselves with the sound and to call you or police should they hear it. Generic home alarms with that blue flashing light seem to not get the attention they should these days.

Oh... neighbours. Get to know them. Have their numbers handy and give them yours. Know their cars and keep note of irregular visitors (ask them to do the same for you).

Walk through your place yourself as a thief. How easy / hard would it be for you to gain access to your house without keys?? How hard would it be for you to make a quick getaway (and in which direction) should you need to???

If you set up any sort of camera system, have it attached to a well hidden recorder (in the ceiling perhaps, with a locked manhole) not hooked up to your laptop / desktop sitting in your bedroom / office.

Given enough time, anyone with enough determination will get in. Make it as hard as possible for them.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 09-11-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Insurance, screens similar as those advertised by Dick Johnson. Theres ally window shutters. How far do you want to go, how much like fort knox do you want to put up with.

It gets to a point a point where its safer to let the crims run wild, and the rest of us live in prisons.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have closed circuit tv cameras that record to a hdd up in my roof. cheap but effective
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
Spudz27
Call me Spud

You could watch home alone, he was pretty good at stopping robbers .

On a serious note. Sensor lights are great. there would be Nothing worse than trying to sneak up to a house and have the lights switch on.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put some barbed wire on the bottom of the fence...it's to keep those blasted weeds down.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #13
kendallRTV

Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback and let it live in the house

If your not prepared to do that at least put a dummy alarm box on the front of your house and security stickers on all windows, cheap way to warn crims to try next door instead.

Don't ever have a tile roof, always tin. It’s a synch to lift tiles and climb in the roof.

Leave dummy keys and wallet with 50 bucks in it in a prominent position.

Lock your keys in the house and see how easy it is to get back in the house.

Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback and let it live in the house.. still do that

IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter (I Will Change My Own Gears Thankyou Very Much)

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
kendallRTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

Never underestimate a thief, the buggers are crafty and they have a way of communicating that knowledge. They can get around just about anything. That includes some of the teenage runts too, not just pros.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #15
Scott

Do obvious things:
Sensor Lights & leave other lights on;
Install an alarm system or at least a siren box & stickers front and rear;

I'm not big on screens, bars and deadlocks - heaven forbid, but when the house is burning one day you'll want to get out. Why put yourself or others at risk of being trapped for the sake of protecting your telly.

Don't sweat a tiled roof [mentioned above] if you have one, the occurrence of entry through a residential roof is basically never.

Remove things that obscure your entry points from public view, ensure your doors and windows can't be opened easily from outside and take the time to get to know your neighbours.

A good dog is a great deterrent but there is no need to get a killer, just a reasonably sized and active dog - you'd be amazed at how many dogs simply don't respond to noises that you and I would expect them to, especially when there is no-one home to protect!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #16
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Hi all,

Bit of a back story..

There has been a hell of a lot of break ins over the past few weeks where I live. It isn't known as a bad area, but there have been a bunch of young kids going wild!

They caught a 13 and a 14 year old with a special set of keys for breaking into cars, and a bag a choccies they stole from a daycare center..

My mate also had his wallet taken not long ago while he was sleeping.

They go all methods. Break windows, pick locks, pry open doors apparently..

I went out the back to feed my pup and saw a putting golf club in her bed. Its not mine, and its not my house-mates (both hate golf). We were guessing it might have been used/going to be used to smash a window and break in but the dog scared/stopped them..

I am really worried now as this is my first home and I really don't want to have to worry constantly about getting broken into..

I have done my best to keep the place safe but what other cheap and effective methods can be done to secure your home.

I am going to buy a new deadbolt for the front door, and a heap of wooden dowel to stick in the screen door and window runners.

All windows have locks already but as an extra protection.

I am also going to talk to a mate about getting a motion detection alarm installed, and talk about other options.

I really want to prevent getting robbed before it happens..

Any idea/experience is welcome.

Thanks,
Matthew
Walk ariuond the house and do a visual , mount some motion lights on the corners to a common switch front and rear , you could buy an alarm but for a little more per week one of the new cctv systems can be time paid and will provide much better detection outside and inside with light switching , motion detection and heaps more .
Sorry I cant recommed anyone down your way atm , dead bolts of course and possibly thin metal sheet over the interior of the front and rear doors. Also give thought to metal screens over the widows or plastic no break film adjacent to the doors if breaking them would allow access to the locks
and get a dog
good luck as it takes a while to relax and be safe again
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think those window shutters might be a good thing, and qaulity doors and wire doors with locks and dead locks, some doors are just rubbish, you put pressure on the centre and you can feel them starting to cave in, maybe reinforce the door jam at the lock area if its a little flimsy.
if you have tiles on the roof maybe a locking mechanism on the man hole door on the inside, they can probably kick through the plaster but will have to make noise to do it.
theives are essentially lazy(otherwise they`d have an honest job), make it hard work for them and they won`t be bothered.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Number one is a nice baseball bat, something with a bit of weight.
If someone is going to break in when you’re not there, try not to worry about it too much, nor let it stress you out. Life is too short.

Dogs are a good deterrent.
An alarm system is probably the most effective. Amateur hoods won’t hang around whilst an alarm is blaring.
And yeah, make sure all your windows and doors are dead-bolted. Unless they are after something specific, they won’t hang around to smash their way inside with alarm going.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try these guys for an alarm system

http://www.ness.com.au/Index.asp

I have one on my place and it works a treat

they have either key pad entry or key fob operation and you have a choice of monitored or not ect from memory they done a promo in our area and the system was roughly $450 plus monitoring @ $30 something a month but you need to have an active phone line

ours has 3 sensors and a panic button that if you activate it the people that monitor the alarm will call you within 10 seconds and if you dont answer the phone they send the police

hope that helps

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #20
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Three words: automated sentry guns.

More seriously, dome-style dummy cameras like these are cheap and look exactly like the real deal.
Add some stickers and motion-activated lights and you're off to a good start.
A dog bowl and workboots by the front door can be good visual deterrents as well.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #21
jcxr
Tribal Elder

you can buy fairly cheap camera setup that the hunters use, called a 'Game Trail" camera, a motion detection setup that photo's in colour, both daylight and infra red. Hunters use them to see whats in their proposed hunting area, down load all the pictures, and return to seek and destroy their quarry.................. a bit like your quest actually.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
mark300

those crimsafe window and doors are a good investment from what ive heard. the tests seem to prove that they are pretty hard to get into, you or someone else would probably hear them trying to smash them before they got in (unfortunately im not too sure on cost for them sorry). add to that some well placed motion sensor lights and that should help with preventing i think.

if that doesnt work, an ex police dog german shephard will do the trick!

www.bowlwithbrunswick.com
Bowl with the best
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

http://www.ozspy.com.au/

look at the ninth and tenth products down the list.. this is what Id recommend..
DIY Indoor Outdoor 4 Camera Security System with Remote Access... or
DIY Hi Res Indoor Outdoor 4 Camera Security System with Remote Access..

This stuff looks trick and is virtually the same cost as a normal alarm system..

Some more info..
D1 recording and 540 TVL cameras, if you don't know what that means, we will tell you.

This is a commercial grade DIY with better resolution(clarity) that you will find in many commercial installations.

If you are handy with tools or know somebody who is, then this is the solution for you.

This 4 camera CCTV system has all the features and is extremely simple to use (and install).

Great for home, business or anywhere else you need an indoor/outdoor camera system. This system even lets you watch from your iPhone (and other internet compatible Phones) or via the internet.

KIT comes standard with a massive 500GB HDD for long term recording, but if you want longer, then select the HDD upgrade option above.

Comes with 4 x Indoor/Outdoor IR cameras with Night Vision

DVR Features:

Uses the standard H.264 video compression format stream for high quality, longer recording time, taking up less bandwidth resources
GUI OSD interface, USB Mouse controller, more intuitive, easier to use and user-friendly
Support D1HD1CIF recording resolution,6 image quality settings
Hexaplex operation for simultaneous: Preview, recording, playback, and network live, backup, playback
Multiple record modes: Auto,timer,and motion detection mode
Playback modes: Normal, Fast Forward and rewind and single-frame slow play
Supports draging the progress bar can be targeted playback time directly
Multiple channel playback at the same time(Support 4CH playback simultaneously)
Network function: one IE browser centralized monitoring and SNS Software for multiple DVRs (sites) (up to 20 DVR simultaneously)
DHCP, DDNS, PPPoE and NTP network service
remote surveillance up to 10 users simultaneously via the internet Explorer web browser
More than 17 kinds protocol of the PTZ control
Multiple backup mode: USB flash drive and network backup
pre-alarm recording (before 10 sec),not lose any suspicious screen
Single Sata HDD 2TB capacity
1ch audio input
remote view by Mobile phone
VGA output
IR remoter controller
System auto recovery after power failure
IR Camera Features:

SONY Color 1/3 CCD 540 TVL
IR LED working distance:20M
Water resistance:IP66
Cable management built-in bracket
Dimension:128(W) x90(H) x70(D)mm Weight:700g

Kit Includes:
4 Channel DVR with your choice of HDD installed
4 x Indoor/Outdoor IR Colour Cameras

4 x 20 metre Cables
All connectors and Power Supplies

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #24
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Some of the local scum down the road were robbing the neighbourhood blind for a while.

Our house was broken into 5 or so times in the space of a year. Dad made sure everything was locked, they would smash a window. We security barred the whole house, so they used their kids to slip though the bars and open the door from the inside / steal things and pass them out.

Friend of ours recalled a house that was deadbolted, security screened / barred, security lighted etc..... they went in through the tiled roof...

Alarm system and some nasty plants around your fence, along with a big **** dog seemed to do the trick for us
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #25
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one of the most effective things you can do is not to have anywhere in front of house they can stand behind to break in ,ie;no trees in front of windows or tall shrubs ,and doorways deadbolted.
the other one they love here is to just put a srewdriver into sliding glass doors and shove ,it shatters glass and as its safety glass it makes hardly any noise,they just tap the bit of broken glass near lock and reach through hole and open it,so a proper security mesh sliding door in front will help heaps.
golden rule is to padlock garden sheds and garages so they cant get access to tools to use as break & enter gear.oh and in my case im more scared of them getting into my garage as my tools and stuff are worth more to me than any tv or game console.the other thing you need to remember these days is the young have no fear or respect so will go in front door while your sitting out the back and take your wallets purses and the like ,no one would dare do it when i was young but now its common place so lock the front door always

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 09-11-2010 at 08:45 PM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #26
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Lock your letter box too. When I got broke into many years ago the buggers checked out our mail...then went to the neighbours house (elderly bloke) and asked if we were home by using our names. Said he was a mate of ours! The neighbour said that we were both at work. So they went back over and broke the back window and lifted some of our gear. Mongrels!!
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just get some decent insurance... if they break in and steal your old crap you will end up with heaps of shiny new crap.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #28
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

sorry to tell you but if they want to get in they will.

i have been to over a hundred break and enters with all sorts of alarms and screens but they always got in.

this one kid in particular (he was 11) could get into a house in a matter of seconds.
i know this as i was in a vacant house hanging doors when he broke in not knowing i was there. (was such a pussy though when i offered to rearange his face(so what if im 6 foot 5 and 125 kg)).

every thing you install is just a hurdle they will jump.
they know when your on holidays so they will just turn off your power and there goes lights and video recorders. they will wait till your neighbours are at work and make there move.

the most common ways i saw was through your roof or take cladding boards of your walls.

sadly where i worked there was a large asian population that all hid there items in the same places that the bad dudes knew off.
rubbish bins are not a good hiding spot neither is your unused oven or rice cooker.

so good luck making it secure
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #29
nokiaking

Mate dick smith has DIY alarms for around the $200 mark. I had one in my office they have motion sensors and Reid switches they can be monitored by any security company you choose. You can set them to call your mobile and you can hear what’s going on in your house. Very good for the money and in a lot of cases better than the hard wired ones they also have battery back up and make sure you have lots of sensor lights good luck with it all
nokiaking is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #30
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just had 3 idiots in my backyard.... my neighbours dogs let rip......

neighbour followed by a can i help you?
unemployed scum "oh, sorry, isn't this place up for rent?"

neighbour "no it's not, but since i've got your numberplate down i'll pass it on"

followed by.... gone.

i hate the neighbours dogs, but hey... not gonna complain about em now.

mick.
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post