Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Default How is the Prius so popular?

Ok so Toyota has got me thinking, I am already biased against the Prius, but i never really stopped to look at the figures.
I decided to investigate this a bit more:

The official fuel figures and price: (sources Drive.com.au & Toyota Australia)

Prius: (according to govt tests) 4.6 L/100 $46,900 ($7.82/100km)

Yaris: 6.1 L/100km, ULP. $22,290 ($10.37/100km)

Corolla: fuel economy of 7.4 litres/100km $27,500 ($12.58/100km)

I have based my calculations on an unleaded fuel price of $1.70 and top price as listed on the Toyota website.

The difference in price between the Prius and Yaris is $24,610 and Corolla is $19,400

So theres more calculations that can be done..buggered if i can think of them though, but just from these figures the Prius doesn't look that convincing and this is just against Toyota's own models.

DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have driven one at work...
Fair dinkum its like driving a high cheer...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

and to the fact that the prius on the open road uses its petrol engine more.

their was also a test it is cheaper to drive a diesel on fuel economy alone, with out the perchase price added.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Dont you know?? If you drive a pius, you are part of the solution, not part of the problem!!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the hyundai diesel thing that they have out uses 4.5 litres per hundred of diesel... I'd rather that then a fookin battery car. less weight and what not to cart around

Felcen!

Last edited by samftr; 23-06-2008 at 10:16 PM.
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samftr
the hyundai diesel thing that they have out uses 4.5 litres per hundred of diesel... I'd rather that then a fookin battery in the thing that costs a fortune to replace..

Heard of the Dead zone around the plant that manufactures these batteries?
Dead zone? Do you have any more info?
Old 23-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
bf tubs

yeah hyundai i30 diesel 21k sticker price , 4.5 l per100km not bad if fuel prices are bugging u i reckon
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i farked that up. that was old info i had, which has proven to be wrong. Apparently the cars arent that bad now as the old nickel refinery etc used to kill off every thing around the plant for a 1 mile radius around it. hence the dead zone and what not.

it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer, however which is true.

Felcen!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its popular ( sales wise) for what it is because it makes a stand publicly.

Owning a prius is like saying "I have a conscience" . Its a status thing too, as it makes you look trendy and yet as if you care and have feelings.

I wont look at buying a hybrid until they have enough grunt to spin the wheels.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Popular?
Australian year to date car sales to the end of May were 400 000+
Prius sold 1600 and something. Can't remember exact figure but it was under 1700.

Everyone is talking about them but not buying them.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6fe6i1vaY

M3 more economical than the Toyota Prius. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a daewoo matiz and fix that lead foot.

One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.

So, basically there is contradicting information out there, but this was referenced and had a good layout leading me to believe it moreso than a website devoted to hybrids...

Felcen!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wait until LPG conversions for the Prius become popular....
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Its popular ( sales wise) for what it is because it makes a stand publicly.

Owning a prius is like saying "I have a conscience" . Its a status thing too, as it makes you look trendy and yet as if you care and have feelings.
This pretty well sums it up - the Prius is a triumph of marketing and nothing more. 9 out of 10 owners of them probably dont recycle as much as everyone else because they dont "need" to - they're doing their bit by owning a "green" car.

Quote:
You'll be waiting a while I fear......
Old 23-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scuse the Americanisms in there as it was written by a yank, but it makes a point.

Felcen!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #16
HLC
Audi S3

for an assignment relating to Sustainable Design i did at University last year,

i read a paper, written about the prius, although the data was based for the US, and Switzerland (maybe it was sweden, irregardless, it was an interesting comparison)

it worked out with the price premium of the prius, over an equivalent petrol powered car...

it would take, in the US, something like 160 000 kilometres to recoup the price premium in petrol savings, and something closer to 200k in Switzerland. (i may have the numbers mixed up but who cares) BECAUSE ITS A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF KILOMETRES and not many people keep a car for that amount of kays or time to travel that many kays.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, I'd say the hummer wouldn't be that great for the environment/
but the "fuel savings of 4.5 per hundred, you can get 6 litres per hundred out of a 1990 model manual lancer.
Beggars belief if they can't beat that with todays motor cars and similar sized motors in the traditional front drive gearbox/engine setup

Felcen!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

So done a little bit of digging It seems the Nickel mine in Sudbury, Ontario is run by a company called Vale Inco

A quick look on Google earth shows the mine quite close to Sudbury, so i think the story about it poisoning the surrounding area seems a bit inaccurate.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #19
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah Thats what i was saying about contradicting information and what not.
hard to believe it isnt it.
I would have the diesel huyndai anyways.. it would go better haha

Felcen!
Old 24-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #20
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

People I know (a whole 2) who own a Prius bought it not because it was going to be cheaper to run, but to reduce their use of a finite fossil fuel. And at the time they bought it, there were few if any alternatives.

Cost is not always the major factor in a purchase decision. Right or wrong they decided to pay extra to contribute to their belief in that goal.

It may not be the answer, but no matter which way it is spun, the Prius shows less use of fuel than it's comparible sized counterparts and a half of the current I6 Falcon.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #21
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods

GS450H - 200kw V6 + electric motor, or something along those lines.. goes pretty hard apparently.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #22
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
People I know (a whole 2) who own a Prius bought it not because it was going to be cheaper to run, but to reduce their use of a finite fossil fuel. And at the time they bought it, there were few if any alternatives.

Cost is not always the major factor in a purchase decision. Right or wrong they decided to pay extra to contribute to their belief in that goal.

It may not be the answer, but no matter which way it is spun, the Prius shows less use of fuel than it's comparible sized counterparts and a half of the current I6 Falcon.
Yes, but the fossil fuels used in its production more than negate anything saved at the pump, making it a false economy. Thus, it uses more of those 'finite fossil fuels', proving once again that some people just don't bother researching anything and believe everything they hear.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #23
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Ok so Toyota has got me thinking, I am already biased against the Prius, but i never really stopped to look at the figures.
I decided to investigate this a bit more:

The official fuel figures and price: (sources Drive.com.au & Toyota Australia)

Prius: (according to govt tests) 4.6 L/100 $46,900 ($7.82/100km)

Yaris: 6.1 L/100km, ULP. $22,290 ($10.37/100km)

Corolla: fuel economy of 7.4 litres/100km $27,500 ($12.58/100km)

I have based my calculations on an unleaded fuel price of $1.70 and top price as listed on the Toyota website.

The difference in price between the Prius and Yaris is $24,610 and Corolla is $19,400

So theres more calculations that can be done..buggered if i can think of them though, but just from these figures the Prius doesn't look that convincing and this is just against Toyota's own models.

For staters the prius isnt there to compete with the corolla or yaris. Its intended as an alternative to falcon/commodore/camry/aurion or other large cars.
So lets say you compare a Prius Itech to a G6E both are around 50K onroad.
if you travel an average of 20,000kms a year with fuel at 1.70. the prius will cost you $1496 in fuel and the Falcon will cost $3468. over 3yrs of driving thats nearly $6,000 saved in fuel costs.

I used to drive one as a demo. In mostly urban driving i could get over 1000kms out of a 45ltr tank of fuel.

They handle like a block of flats and are pretty gutless but $76 for over 1000kms of driving makes it a increasinly popular option for people who are concerned more by fuel economy then performance.
Old 24-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #24
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by samftr
yeah, I'd say the hummer wouldn't be that great for the environment/
but the "fuel savings of 4.5 per hundred, you can get 6 litres per hundred out of a 1990 model manual lancer.
Beggars belief if they can't beat that with todays motor cars and similar sized motors in the traditional front drive gearbox/engine setup
Yeah I agree I got 6L/100km out of 1991 Ford Laser and the best thing is that it cost $1500 and there is no energy cost of manufacturing it like a new car.

The Toyota Prius is a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid marketing scam by Toyota. When I was in highschool some kids dad had a Toyota Prius. They also had a two story house with airconditioning a downstairs AND upstairs fridge and an awesome home theatre system. Not to mention a Nissan Patrol 4WD for the weekend.

I think Jeremy Clarkson rated the Toyota Prius as his least liked car as it had absolutely no benefit whatsoever. It wasn't cheap, it's fuel economy in reality was actually not that good and it was SLOW. I would say the Prius is the modern day equivalent of the four-cylinder Commodore.

It is a stupid stupid stupid stupid marketing scams. There are four REAL solutions when fuel passes $2 a litre.

1) We start importing the lower capacity versions of cars like the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus. In Europe I belive you can get a 1.3L Mazda 3 while in Australia it's only 2L and 2.3L.

2) Kei Cars. A 660cc car for the really budget conscious. I'm pretty sure you can even buy RWD and turbocharged ones.

3)Motorcycles. Get yourself into a Honda CB250 or Suzuki GS500. Your fuel economy wont pass 4L/100k and you will be able to still get 200 kays an hour and 13's on the strip.

4) Late 80's and early 90's fourbangers. The real people effected by petrol prices can't afford a Prius. A early 90's Ford Laser is arguably more economical than a new Focus and the reason as it weighs a hell of a lot less. Lancers and Corollas should be the same.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This link is the anwser to allll your questions

http://www.allabout-sp.net/?p=season10/1002

It is a south park episode discussing the Hybrid car "revolution" and who buys them and why.

Note: that website has EVERY single south park episode ever aired in america(which means they get a season ahead of us.) streaming for free, just like youtube. AND there is also a family guy equivalent!!!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #26
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
Yes, but the fossil fuels used in its production more than negate anything saved at the pump, making it a false economy. Thus, it uses more of those 'finite fossil fuels', proving once again that some people just don't bother researching anything and believe everything they hear.
Link showing the above please.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #27
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
GS450H - 200kw V6 + electric motor, or something along those lines.. goes pretty hard apparently.
I was going to correct you on that cause I thought the GS was running a V8 but it's the LS600hL that runs the V8 hybrid.
Old 24-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #28
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all need that little tiny blue 3 wheeled 1 seather moped thing jeremy drove to work and INSIDE his BBC office hehehe that would be awesome - alot less deaths, less traffic congestion, less carbon emissions, lower fuel prices due to decreased consumption etc etc etc

you know what! the gov't should make a policy to start something revolutionary like that in sydney by sayyy... 2020-30? futurise the way people travel into the city to work. like using those buggies in specially designed lanes or tunnels.

yes i know, im dreaming
Old 24-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
clevagexc
Starter Motor

haha, the govt will never do anything to help us with fuel. They make too much money from it.
clevagexc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #30
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes but the government does need to make some policies regarding the future and transportation. everyone knows fossil fuels will run out, and im not gonna bank on that Biocrude stuff just yet until ive seen some definate results(1000 barrels a day so far is less then a drop compared to what is produced worldwide).

They NEED to come up with something, personally i think those people tubes in futurama would be pretty cool :P